Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Mission Architect Review

13»

Comments

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

I had great hopes for the mission architect but is's turned out to be a bit of a double edged sword for the developers. They seemed to be caught out by the use that a number of players put it to. It seemed quite obvious to me (and a lot of other people) that the farmers and power levellers would be onto this faster than you could blink and that's exactly what happened.

The devs are now having to clean up the mess by asking people to 'report' dodgy missions and they are looking at levelling rates for toons to see which ones have obviously benefitted unfairly from specially created low risk high reward missions. They are now in the unfortunate position of having to contemplate deleting powerlevelled toons with all the potential problems that can cause.  Even worse, they are backpeddelling on the badges that were awarded for use of the MA, even removing badges from people who were using the thing in the way it was originally intended, saying it was too easy to earn the badges - fair enough  but who put them there and set the parameters in the first place?

I think a better system of rating missions is needed. With the current method, the person in the largest supergroup or the one who has the largest number of 'friends' gets the highest number of votes so their mission shoots to the top of the list. Some of the highest scoring missions I've seen are some of the worse to play. With no ability to leave comments we are having to rely on people creating external websites to rate MA missions.

By far the worse problem though, in my opinion of course, is that the mission architect is available in virtually every zone including the starter zones for new players. Some of them are getting sucked into the thing and being powerlevelled and are in danger of missing out on the best parts of the game. I think the MA should be removed from Atlas Park and Galaxy City, at least give the new pleyers a chance to see a bit of the game as it was meant to be played before hitting them with that thing.

Releasing the mission architect to the player base  was a bold move, whether it not it will turn out to have been a good move we'll just have to wait and see.

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by korat102
    By far the worse problem though, in my opinion of course, is that the mission architect is available in virtually every zone including the starter zones for new players. Some of them are getting sucked into the thing and being powerlevelled and are in danger of missing out on the best parts of the game. I think the MA should be removed from Atlas Park and Galaxy City, at least give the new pleyers a chance to see a bit of the game as it was meant to be played before hitting them with that thing.

I agree with this. It was a good idea, that they wanted to let characters of any level be able to take part in MA, but there's no way to regulate it like this. People will make a character and play 1-who knows what level in MA and skip content. Plus, they wont learn how to play their character if they've just done "fluff" missions in the architect. They should have MA buildings in Steel Canyon and Cap. And the zones after those. This way a new person has a chance to get their feet wet, a bit.

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

AE is the greatest gui Ive seen making available tools to create such content.   I quit ryzom before Ryzom ring came out so sorry cant compare.   In the begining there were exploits yes,  exploding objects killing mas mobs for mass exp.   Now it seems they are gone.  In fact take out a clock do an hour of AE and an hour of newspaper or radio missions back to back and total the exp.  There is no completion bonus for AE except the awarded ones.   Another great idea is the AE tickets making it possible to buy salvage and other items you can not find or afford in market.   I have played some of the best missions in the game in AE.   And then again  some of the most boring,  those being farms.  Whatever, if someone wants to grind through a farm rather than run through the streets doing the same without earning tickets so be it.   For those who complain about farming and AE here is the best solution,  Dont Go In AE.   Its that simple and who cares if someone levels up fast?  Really,  Why would anyone care?  Some pay very little now to get leveled to 50 by who ever sits over there in what ever third world getting payed to play games.   Who Cares?   Its Cheating?   Only cheating themselfs out of the experience of a great game.   And again,  Why should we care?  Thanks to AE there is content available in game that would have never been put there.   Look how many different creative people are now working on the game.    Some suck but guess what?  there is a little icon saying something to the effect of Mission Architech Options,  Click it and opt to quit.   Done it plenty of times.   Your not going to miss out on a completion bonus so what the hell.    Have fun with whatever part of the game you like.  Dont play the parts you dont like.   There are so many other games out there to choose from for those who dont like coh/v.   In the End  Who Cares?

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.