Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game "Genre: Fantasy" ?

To understand what I am about to say, check the upper right corner where you have the game information and read what it says under "Genre"

Last I checked this was a Sci-Fi game containing a relative universe with high technology, robots, laser pistols, lightsabers, space ships and so forth and only a small part of the world contains small fluffy animals living in trees and they (mmorpg.com) have put the genre as "Fantasy" ?

Shouldnt Star Trek in that case be "Fantasy" aswell, and SGW (Star Gate Worlds) for that matter. And if the cause is that its a "Fantasy World" then you should put in EvE under Fantasy aswell, C'mon, anyone with standard Star Wars knowledge know this is a Sci-Fi game, if you want to play a "Fantasy" game, go play Darkfall, AoC or WoW but for crying out loud dont catogorize this game as Fantasy, would you say that KOTOR 1&2 are Fantasy games maybe?

I get upset cause I hate Fantasy games and after WoW I told myself that I would never ever play a Fantasy game again. ^^

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

"Once upon a time, in a land far away..." fairy tale

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." Star Wars

Star Wars is a fantasy built around futuristic things ( although hardly futuristic if it happened a long time ago, but anyway ). However these futuristic things have no basis in scientific principle.

Magic is replaced by "The Force", the young Knight ( Luke Skywalker ) must rescue the Princess ( Leia ) from the evil wizard ( Vader ).

Star Trek is completely science based. That was Roddenberrys' main nag, that everything had to be plausible and explainable by science. In fact, many things brought forth by Star Trek have now found their way into reality.

So yes. Although you may not like the label, Star Wars is fantasy based.

By the way, even George Lucas refers to Star Wars as a fantasy tale.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

I would call it sci-fantasy.

Well actually I would call it shit because Star Wars hasn't been good since the 80's.

• DaratachDaratach Member Posts: 8

Well, the Sci-Fi genre is all about  a technology we cant understand, time traveling, lightspeed and so forth. If you are going to mark this game in the genre fantasy cause it says in a galaxy far far away a long time ago or that George Lucas once said this is a Fantasy game then all games involving a non realistic world should be marked Fantasy, in other words a creation of someones imgagination is Fantasy cause its your fantasy that created the world. So you dont even have a category called Sci-Fi (Sience Fiction) Sience Fictional Fantasy

Already saying "in a Galaxy" they have marked the game as Sci-Fi, if they would have said "in a World" it would have been more correct.  The word Fantasy is in its hole a wrong statement cause everything that isnt real is a fantasy. But today we all refer Fantasy to a low tech world of magic or in some cases a Steam technological world included magic and if someone says Sci-Fi you think of Time travel, Lightspeed, Robots, Laser Weapons and Aliens.

Even if I would go with the fact that it is a Sience Fictional Fantasy game it still would be closer to Sci-Fi then Fantasy, I rather compare the game to Star Trek, SWG or Eve then to compare it with World of Warcraft and Age of Conan.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

It is called a fantasy because it is.  There is absolutely no science in Star Wars.  There is lots of futuristic settings.  Space ships for example but there is no science behind how they work.  Light sabres (although they seem more like magic swords) no science on how they contain the blade.

Star Wars is fantasy because it contains no science to make it science fiction.

• SXRchosen1SXRchosen1 Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by kasta

It is called a fantasy because it is.  There is absolutely no science in Star Wars.  There is lots of futuristic settings.  Space ships for example but there is no science behind how they work.  Light sabres (although they seem more like magic swords) no science on how they contain the blade.

Star Wars is fantasy because it contains no science to make it science fiction.

Thats like saying LOVE and HATE, and nothing inbetween

http://acominos.evony.com <- if your bored at work :)

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

Not at all.  If it had some science I would cut it a break but it has none.  I'd give the force a pass like I did with vulcan mind meld but Lucas didn't explain anything.  He told a good story but it had no science to back it up.

• smoothmoovssmoothmoovs Member Posts: 36

SWG is sci-fi, and this is fantasy, am I missing something?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I never thought Star Wars was fantasy. Terms are supposed to mark the differences in form and content, and when we widen the definition that far, the usage of terms itself becomes useless. We define genres mainly through their form, simply because the content is mainly the same in most stories. And for me fantasy is magic, elves and a medieval setting, end of story. Scifi is spaceships, laser guns and robots.

If you start the strench definitions by analogies, definitions become useless. Of course Star Wars is scifi and so is SWTOR. Dunno how anyone can doubt that.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• kawlkjakawlkja Member Posts: 352
    Originally posted by Elikal

I never thought Star Wars was fantasy. Terms are supposed to mark the differences in form and content, and when we widen the definition that far, the usage of terms itself becomes useless. We define genres mainly through their form, simply because the content is mainly the same in most stories. And for me fantasy is magic, elves and a medieval setting, end of story. Scifi is spaceships, laser guns and robots.
    If you start the strench definitions by analogies, definitions become useless. Of course Star Wars is scifi and so is SWTOR. Dunno how anyone can doubt that.

Interesting so Force Lighting is either a Spaceship, laser gun or a robot.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Star Wars is technically what is called a Space Opera.....it melds fantasy and sci-fi together, so either can be relevant

And to clear this up it is a Sci-fi Fantasy. You can try and give your opinion on what fantasy means but thats your opinion not fact. Definition of Fantasy "fiction with a large amount of imagination in it". And star wars took a lot of imagination to come up with im sure.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by HDomni

And to clear this up it is a Sci-fi Fantasy. You can try and give your opinion on what fantasy means but thats your opinion not fact. Definition of Fantasy "fiction with a large amount of imagination in it". And star wars took a lot of imagination to come up with im sure.

And a lot of drugs

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The biggest part of what you see is sci-fi technology and setting. How often do you see Force Lightning in a Star Wars movie?

Just look at the early designs of George Lucas when it was still "Starkiller", it was pure Sci-Fi. Those Jedi/Force things were added later and in the original trilogy they play an almost neglectable part. In the new trilogy he explained the force as Midichlorians and thus as a normal scientific phenomenon. It is nothing like magic since then.

The vast majority of average people (not Nerds and Geeks) will see Star Wars as Sci-Fi, and think of fantasy something with Wizards and Elves, like Lord of the Rings. Terms have the function to communicate, so why change it due to miniature details that there is lightning? I mean, you can re define fantasy in any way you like, but at some point it undermines the usage of language to reach an understanding with others.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

The biggest part of what you see is sci-fi technology and setting. How often do you see Force Lightning in a Star Wars movie?

Just look at the early designs of George Lucas when it was still "Starkiller", it was pure Sci-Fi. Those Jedi/Force things were added later and in the original trilogy they play an almost neglectable part. In the new trilogy he explained the force as Midichlorians and thus as a normal scientific phenomenon. It is nothing like magic since then.

The vast majority of average people (not Nerds and Geeks) will see Star Wars as Sci-Fi, and think of fantasy something with Wizards and Elves, like Lord of the Rings. Terms have the function to communicate, so why change it due to miniature details that there is lightning? I mean, you can re define fantasy in any way you like, but at some point it undermines the usage of language to reach an understanding with others.

It does not matter, you can try all you want to redefine Fantasy but you are still wrong. What you think and what is fact is completly diffrent. And you act like Midichlorians are real, its fiction. Sci-fi and I will use your own definition "Spaceships, lazer guns, robots" all which are known to be a possible thing in this world. While throwing lightning, magically pushing people, choking them from a distance are all fantasy and is in no way Sci-Fi. The setting is indeed Sci-fi, the things that happen in it are not. Im not Star Wars nerd, this all common sense. Seriously a fat worm that owns a palace is nowhere close to a elf with a sword /sarcasm.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,515

Its a gray area to be sure, but overall I think Star Wars universe is more of a science fantasy vs science fiction.

To quote an interesting passage from Wikipedia,

"For the most part, SF will attempt to explain its effects using known physical laws or reasonable extensions of them. Science Fantasy will generally ignore physical laws (i.e., magic) or invent its own structure of laws which have no necessary connection to known laws. SF is also more likely to take the time to delineate the laws or extensions involved, while Science Fantasy will provide a more meager structure of its invented rules."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fantasy

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Daratach

To understand what I am about to say, check the upper right corner where you have the game information and read what it says under "Genre"
    Last I checked this was a Sci-Fi game containing a relative universe with high technology, robots, laser pistols, lightsabers, space ships and so forth and only a small part of the world contains small fluffy animals living in trees and they (mmorpg.com) have put the genre as "Fantasy" ?
    Shouldnt Star Trek in that case be "Fantasy" aswell, and SGW (Star Gate Worlds) for that matter. And if the cause is that its a "Fantasy World" then you should put in EvE under Fantasy aswell, C'mon, anyone with standard Star Wars knowledge know this is a Sci-Fi game, if you want to play a "Fantasy" game, go play Darkfall, AoC or WoW but for crying out loud dont catogorize this game as Fantasy, would you say that KOTOR 1&2 are Fantasy games maybe?
    I get upset cause I hate Fantasy games and after WoW I told myself that I would never ever play a Fantasy game again. ^^

It was mis-labelled. I willl fix it now,.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Kyleran

Its a gray area to be sure, but overall I think Star Wars universe is more of a science fantasy vs science fiction.
    To quote an interesting passage from Wikipedia,
    "For the most part, SF will attempt to explain its effects using known physical laws or reasonable extensions of them. Science Fantasy will generally ignore physical laws (i.e., magic) or invent its own structure of laws which have no necessary connection to known laws. SF is also more likely to take the time to delineate the laws or extensions involved, while Science Fantasy will provide a more meager structure of its invented rules."
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fantasy

I agree with this, which brings me back to what he said, anything that has Wizards or elves is fantasy. Anything with frog eating, talking slugs is not, these were not his words but its really no diffrent.  But yeah the Science Fantasy is dead on.