Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a new system, need advice.

RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4471587&sku=B69-0017

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4311526&CatId=1826

I know this isn't a great system but for the time being it's all I can afford and regardless is a major upgrade from my current rig.  I need a bit of advice on operating systems.  I have the choice of either installing Xp or Vista.  Since this isn't a monster system I was leaning more towards Xp because from what I understand vista is a resource hog and this machine is going to strictly be a gaming machine so I want as much horsepower going to my game as possible and not the OS.  Is this the right line of thinking? 

2nd question is about 32bit vs 64bit.  From what I understand (Which may be totally wrong)  is that only 64 bit applications  get any benefit from a 64 bit OS so if everything your running is 32bit is there any real reason to install a 64 bit OS?

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

Comments

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Most people choose the x64 since it supports more ram but you wouldn't have that issue with your setup.  So I'd say you just go with the xp and maybe spend an extra $10 to get yourself a better video card.  

What exactly do you have now that would make this a major upgrade?  Is it just the ram?

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

That CPU is far too weak for any gaming rig. The GPU in the card is more powerful than the CPU.

Better to go with this one if you can afford it. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4471626&CatId=332

Yeah this one costs more but it also comes with a better PSU,Processor, 500gb HDD and a video card. Much much better deal for you.

64bit vista is more secure than xp or vista 32. Also XP cannot do anything with blu-ray. while you may not be doing anything with blu-ray now, in 2 years you might have an old PC you want to turn into a home entertainment unit and poof there's that copy of vista 64 you can throw on it. That only comes to mind because that's what i'm building at the moment heh.

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

My biggest suggestion to you would to be wait and save your money up. 

Already, that rig has been outdated for ages lol.  You want to build something along the lines of high end so that in 4-5 years with proper maintenance you can still play newer video games with little or no problem.  Trust me, if you save up that money and get the rig you've always really wanted; to be able to play games on high specs it feels amazing. 

That being said,  I agree with above posters on the video card over powering that processor.  And if you really are dead set on getting that rig, go with xp 64.  Just in case you are looking to upgrade memory and/or video card in the near future.

Best of wishes!

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

• lirong520lirong520 Member Posts: 5

In my opinion, the hardwares are upgrading more and more quickly now, if you now configure a look-ahead hardware, it will be outdate by then one or two years. So, it is ok for you if it satisfies  your daily's requirement.

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987
    Originally posted by lirong520

In my opinion, the hardwares are upgrading more and more quickly now, if you now configure a look-ahead hardware, it will be outdate by then one or two years. So, it is ok for you if it satisfies  your daily's requirement.

one or two years... I'll give it a couple months lol.

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

Yeah, it is known that  the development speed of  our human being society is becoming more and more quickly, so does the updating speed of the computer's hardware, so I just the same insist on my previous opinions that it's enough to satisfy your daily needs, it's ok, enough.

• triprunnertriprunner Member Posts: 169

get 64 bit Windows 7, lots of RAM (8GB DDR 2 is fine) and a good graphics card (Ati 4870 1gb), everything else is secondary even CPU (quad 6600 good and cheap)

Originally posted by triprunner

get 64 bit Windows 7, lots of RAM (8GB DDR 2 is fine) and a good graphics card (Ati 4870 1gb), everything else is secondary even CPU (quad 6600 good and cheap)

Are you kidding, your configuration is very high standard, you must be a richer has a lot of money. You are my idol^

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170
    Originally posted by lirong520

Originally posted by triprunner

Are you kidding, your configuration is very high standard, you must be a richer has a lot of money. You are my idol^

lol no doubt, the poster is obviously on a budget when you look at the original components picked out.  And 8gb is pretty unnecessary.. I have 4gb and multitask a lot of apps while playing games and never get close to my 4gb limit.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

My computer has 8gb ram, but this computer also doubles as my work computer.  I use Auto-CAD programs on it, so I use every single bit of that 8gb.  Typical user/gamer though won't ever go over 3gb really.

P.S. for those that don't know, Auto-CAD is a memory hog!  Probably the program that uses the most memory in the entire universe lol