Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Card???

My machine is running 768MB RAM on Windows XP SP-1 (SP-2 caused my system to lock up, waiting on a patch from MS). Anyway, I was using an ATI Radeon 7000 which is clearly listed as a non-supported video card for EVE, but I ordered an ATI Radeon 9200 128MB AGP 8X yesterday. Will I have any problems running the game with this card?

Comments

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263
    Is it supported by EVE?  If so, then you have no problems.

What will he do next?
  • ZipehZipeh Member Posts: 265

1.6G, 256m DDR ram, ati 7200(32m) and eve runs - although i have everything turned down as far as possible to increase performance and i still get alot of crappy framerates and temportary lockups.  i dont know if its something on my system or my connection (high speed cable), or the crappy vid card, or something else. 

anyhow - it does run on the 7000 series - all be it not well.

• TivianTivian Member UncommonPosts: 168

I would have to say that Nvidia is the way to go. I started out with a Gforce 4 TI-4200 and I am now running the Gforce TI-5200 128M and the game looks SWEET!!

• Chupa5Chupa5 Member Posts: 10

Its yalls 2 video cards tht are causin all your problems or a good amount the 2 with radeon 7000 line.

Howd you 2 get stuck in the sotne ages of stuff lol. the 9200 should be fine whats funny is a 8500 is hella betta than a 9200 lol but if ya dont wanna get stuck with aienchent hardware again there options like ATI 9700 pro non pro versions if ya can find . The 9800s regular, pro, XT. The 9800 pro is a kick ass buy if ya get from right manufacter vendor. Can find one for 200 bucks down to 150 somethin a little less.

Or Nvida 5900 line the regular one the 5900, Then Ultra 5900. then the 5900 Xt and cost about same as the ati ones mentioned above. for budget minded get the reg 5900 or the 5900xt you get a card form mentioned aboive ati or Nvida that can run anything you want they will last along time especally in terms of not needin to upgrade. Of course the Newest ones out are wanted bad but money wise if ya cant ya cant. but gettin these youll most of the itme have no problems with performance youll be able to enjoy so much cause they kick ass performance wise especally for price performance ratio.

How much did ya buy that 9200 for. lol could go on foreever but if ya are interested in whats written above will help. the 9200 should most likely will be hella hella lot better than those that ainchent 7000 whatever. for performace and budget wise whats written above way better price performance hehe.

• UltharUlthar Member Posts: 16

Zipeh (and everyone else running Eve with Radeon cards) consider grabbing the Omega drivers, switching from the ATI-coded drivers made a huge difference for me. I was rebooting randomly on loading sequences, and had infinite loops crash me when other players either nossied or disrupted another ship. This was with the Catalyst 4.2 which are the best to date for older cards with Eve. Since switching I've experienced signifigant dropoffs in fps but I CTD only about once a week, compared to rebooting every thirty minutes as I jump/dock/undock/warp, or lagging to death whenever combat commences. For reference I run the Radeon 7200 (poor college student with a hand-me-down system) and it really does suck compared to the newer cards.

Eve HATES Radeon cards with a passion (someone once said it's how it handles call functions, no idea what that's about tho) and mildly dislikes NVIDEA. Check out the Known Issues & Workarounds forum on the Eve-Online website for more details, and check it out after every new driver release.

I say this mainly for the people looking to get into Eve. It's a wonderful game, I love it, but it is very exacting on hardware/driver compatibility, and the latest drivers often don't agree with Eve. Expect to tinker with your system a bit if you want it completely stable, is my best advice. Once you have it, keep those settings the same and you shouldn't have to worry about it after that.

Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond the blood that flows
    Buried beneath the stream of time is where your power grows
    I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand
    Before the power that you bestow
    In my unworthy hand

Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond the blood that flows
    Buried beneath the stream of time is where your power grows
    I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand
    Before the power that you bestow
    In my unworthy hand

• Aquila2kAquila2k Member Posts: 2
    2.0 GHZ, GeForce 4 4200, 1024 RAM game runs perfect, but only on lowest resolution 1024x768. But the game graphics are so good even on lowest res it still looks amazing. The game ownz image

• BrambeyBrambey Member Posts: 132

1.8 ghz, 400 FSB... 1024 PC3200 memory, 256 meg Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 graphics card... game runs great... havnt encountered any choppiness at all yet with pretty much maxed settings and full-screen. Sometimes when starting the game though the windows wont appear and the game wont work correctly... its wierd... I think its something to do with full screen but you can tell from the char selection screen. If you dont see the little window in the char selection screen, close it and try again and when you get it to show up your cool.

• AlkatrazAlkatraz Member Posts: 119
    In my oppinion, u have to have at least 1GB of ram, a 256MB video card and a CPU close to 3GHZ to experience the good graphics in eve

• LevArisLevAris Member UncommonPosts: 13

i dont agree with that. i have a radeon 9600pro and at the time 256 mb ram and 1.6g system and had the graphics settings all the way up at 1024x768 resolution had it running in a window and had only issues in which it would get choppy when stuff had to be paged to and from the HD. but then again i think it might jsut be the vid card. hehehe