Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review: Darkfall Beta

Comments

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by miagisan

you so hardcore....wanna full loot/pvp centric game....could always join the army if you are really hardcore....bleh....it's a friggen video game...since when does anyone in their right mind consider ideo games hardcore.

You know, people like you have a thousand games worthy of your pansy gameplay style and everytime something a little hardcore comes along you whine until the devs dilute it to nothing more than a version of Hello Kitty. 

You have other games to play. Why don't you let people who might like this style of gameplay have a game like this. Personally, I'd like my fellow group-mates to behave differently due to the consequence of making stupid decisions. No more running like a moron into a group of orcs without consulting the group first. And I want to be able to kill them if they outlive their usefulness. What's wrong with in-fighting among group members? Why can't you assassinate your group leader if he turns out to be an idiot? When you die your stuff should be lying on the ground along with your lifeless body.

We have just as much of a right to a good game as you do. Leave us be and go back to your Hello 

Kitty.

EDIT: BTW, your logic goes both ways. Why should a video game be care-bear? If you can't handle the battle, you should start playing with Barbie dolls.

• CyrannCyrann Member Posts: 2

Good review, well blanaced. Nice job. Thank you for the work you have put into it.

• Mister_WhiteMister_White Member Posts: 4

Thank god the NDA got lifted.... good review

on a side note: miagisan

YOUR A TROLL! GO STUFF A D@#% IN YOUR ****MODERATED****

• SeytanSeytan Member Posts: 653
    Originally posted by cfurlin

Great review, thanks for providing the link. If they deliver on all these features then this may be the game I've been looking for since UO.
    I agree with you that there will be a lot of "players" (if that's what you want to call them) who will screem "unfair" at every turn. Personally, if an orc is bigger than a dwarf, it SHOULD BE easier to hit -- sorry about your genetics, dude 
    People who are looking for care-bear games like WoW will probably not like it. Hopefully they will go back to WoW. I'd rather see a group of QUALITY players to keep the game afloat than 11 million players, many of them morons or immature a**holes.
    One thing I'd really like to see in any game in the future is a "death is permanant" server for those who like to live on the edge. That means when you die your character is wiped. You start over. Talk about a challenge. 

You made me lol. Too funny, you seem to assume...(gasp) people whom are "like you" should play...and everyone else is a WOW carebear. Hate to break it to you pal, but besides DAOC the best open field PVP I ever had was in WOW. Solo fights skirmishes, battles...all was there, this pre BG's. And it took skillz to prevail. Oh as a aside, although I am interested in DF, WOW also had a much deeper combat system then what ive seen of DF to date. Perhaps im missing something about higher level skills/spells, at any rate you made me laugh girlfriend! Oh if I do play ima teabag you hard...and take all you cool lootz and base!

• CyrannCyrann Member Posts: 2

I agree, I enjopyed the pvp in wow before the BG and PvE era but alas, i think what was being referred to was wow now a days and what it has become.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

you so hardcore....wanna full loot/pvp centric game....could always join the army if you are really hardcore....bleh....it's a friggen video game...since when does anyone in their right mind consider ideo games hardcore.

You know, people like you have a thousand games worthy of your pansy gameplay style and everytime something a little hardcore comes along you whine until the devs dilute it to nothing more than a version of Hello Kitty. 

You have other games to play. Why don't you let people who might like this style of gameplay have a game like this. Personally, I'd like my fellow group-mates to behave differently due to the consequence of making stupid decisions. No more running like a moron into a group of orcs without consulting the group first. And I want to be able to kill them if they outlive their usefulness. What's wrong with in-fighting among group members? Why can't you assassinate your group leader if he turns out to be an idiot? When you die your stuff should be lying on the ground along with your lifeless body.

We have just as much of a right to a good game as you do. Leave us be and go back to your Hello 

Kitty.

EDIT: BTW, your logic goes both ways. Why should a video game be care-bear? If you can't handle the battle, you should start playing with Barbie dolls.

So obsessed with Hello Kitty and Barbie dolls, and you expect anyone to believe you're hardcore?

• ShadowoakShadowoak Member Posts: 236
    if you read what i wrote on his blog, you will see i agreed with some portions of his review...in fact i thought he did a great job until the last paragraph. I am just tired of Darkfaller's thinking they are hand and foot better than the casual gamer.

irony of it all, a bunch of video gamers think they are superior because they can spend 8+ hours a day playing video games......kinda ironic.

Dude, he already explained that it was bad wording, what more do you want?

What he said:

"If you are a casual gamer, someone who enjoys a linear style gameplay, or looking for a graphically intense experience, this game might not be for you"

What he meant:

"If you are either:

1) a casual gamer,

2) someone who enjoys a linear style gameplay, 

3) looking for a graphically intense experience, this game might not be for you"

There, satisfied now?

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Even though we have butted heads in the past your preview of the game is objective and well done. Good job on the write up. I doubt it will persuade anyone one way or the other however that does not seem to be your intent.

See you in game with the NA release if you end up playing on those servers.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Originally posted by Seytan

Great review, thanks for providing the link. If they deliver on all these features then this may be the game I've been looking for since UO.
    I agree with you that there will be a lot of "players" (if that's what you want to call them) who will screem "unfair" at every turn. Personally, if an orc is bigger than a dwarf, it SHOULD BE easier to hit -- sorry about your genetics, dude 
    People who are looking for care-bear games like WoW will probably not like it. Hopefully they will go back to WoW. I'd rather see a group of QUALITY players to keep the game afloat than 11 million players, many of them morons or immature a**holes.
    One thing I'd really like to see in any game in the future is a "death is permanant" server for those who like to live on the edge. That means when you die your character is wiped. You start over. Talk about a challenge. 

You made me lol. Too funny, you seem to assume...(gasp) people whom are "like you" should play...and everyone else is a WOW carebear. Hate to break it to you pal, but besides DAOC the best open field PVP I ever had was in WOW. Solo fights skirmishes, battles...all was there, this pre BG's. And it took skillz to prevail. Oh as a aside, although I am interested in DF, WOW also had a much deeper combat system then what ive seen of DF to date. Perhaps im missing something about higher level skills/spells, at any rate you made me laugh girlfriend! Oh if I do play ima teabag you hard...and take all you cool lootz and base!

First off, learn to use proper English and stop using your favorite rapper as your language instructor. It's hard to take someone seriously who doesn't know the difference between an 's' and a 'z'

What I'm saying is that gamers who would like a more "realistic" experience should be allowed to play a game that does just that without an influx of whining from the "its not fair" crowd. If the game is designed for the more intense gamer, let it be and go back to playing with your dolls. Or better yet, accept that this game will seem unfair to those who are used to something a bit more, um, fluffy. 

"Oh. look at me. I got new armor. I'm going to run around in the main square by the auction house and bank until someones notices me. Then I'll dye my armor pepto pink and if I still don't get my ego stroked, I'm going to get on my mount and run back and forth, back and forth, until they do. Then I'll go play something that barely resembles PvP and pretend I'm a famous warrior." 

As for combat, what do you consider a deep combat system? Hit Tab. Press 1, then 3, then 2 twice. Yeah, that's deep. You can actually see the EXACT same number of hit points deducted from similar mobs in any fight using the same sequence of keypresses. Again, real deep 

I played WoW for 3 years. There's nothing deep about it. But then, everyone has their opinion.

I'm not what is considered a hardcore gamer, but when I play, I want a hardcore experience. Darkfall may provide that -- I hope. Unless you want to turn it into another 3D Barbie-fest.

Originally posted by Netspook

Kitty.

So obsessed with Hello Kitty and Barbie dolls, and you expect anyone to believe you're hardcore?

Where exactly did I say I was hardcore? After you read something, you should learn to UNDERSTAND it.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Watching this thread get derailed was amusing.  Paragus nice write up, can't say I agree or disagree with it.  At least till I play it for myself.

Edited for name typo.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by Roin

Watching this thread get derailed was amusing.  Paragus nice write up, can't say I agree or disagree with it.  At least till I play it for myself.

Edited for name typo.

Yeah, I don't think I started the derailment, but I sure contributed to it 

I think it's time to let it go...

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Nice review Paragus - well done.

Will you be doing more reviews after the game goes 'live'?  Do you expect a change then?

(I ask because I do, and I would be interested to see another review after things settle down at the end of the first subscription cycle - say 45 days in?)

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

First off, learn to use proper English and stop using your favorite rapper as your language instructor. It's hard to take someone seriously who doesn't know the difference between an 's' and a 'z'
    You know... it is very bad etiquette to pick on people in a forum for minor errors in English and spelling.

Many people speak English as a second language - like Americans for example. JOKE BTW!

What I'm saying is that gamers who would like a more "realistic" experience should be allowed to play a game that does just that without an influx of whining from the "its not fair" crowd. If the game is designed for the more intense gamer, let it be and go back to playing with your dolls. Or better yet, accept that this game will seem unfair to those who are used to something a bit more, um, fluffy. 
    Please define "realistic"?  And please don't assume all 'whines' are "it's not fair".  Maybe some of them are actually commenting on game design?
    "Oh. look at me. I got new armor. I'm going to run around in the main square by the auction house and bank until someones notices me. Then I'll dye my armor pepto pink and if I still don't get my ego stroked, I'm going to get on my mount and run back and forth, back and forth, until they do. Then I'll go play something that barely resembles PvP and pretend I'm a famous warrior." 

Each to their own... some people like that sort of thing.  In fact, some of histories REAL warriors were vein egotists.  In fact I can think of one very  famous warrior that is known by the colour he painted his 'battlegear'.
    As for combat, what do you consider a deep combat system? Hit Tab. Press 1, then 3, then 2 twice. Yeah, that's deep. You can actually see the EXACT same number of hit points deducted from similar mobs in any fight using the same sequence of keypresses. Again, real deep 
    I played WoW for 3 years. There's nothing deep about it. But then, everyone has their opinion.
    I'm not what is considered a hardcore gamer, but when I play, I want a hardcore experience. Darkfall may provide that -- I hope. Unless you want to turn it into another 3D Barbie-fest.
    Try WWIIoL.  One shot kills.  Oddly, many people (including many so-called Hardcore)  find it too tough because they 'just die' before they even get a chance to react.

The reality is, even amongst the 'hardcore' there is the 'carebear element'.  People want a chance to react and fight back.  One shot kills tend to upset people.  But IRL arrows and swords do one shot kills.  That is realistic.  Does Darkfall have one shot kills?  If not - it's carebear! 

(How's that for bursting your bubble? ;-) )

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by Paragus1

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Good review. Comprehensive without being overly long, and well written.

Thank you.  I was very worried that it would be loo long for people to make it through.   There are still a lot of aspects I never even touched on, but I wanted to hit on many of the basic gameplay topics.

Posted some questions in your blog... I'll repost them here as well:

Couple of questions:

Are there prerequisites for "upgrading" to different weapons and armor? Or, are you able to wear and use anything from day one as soon as you find it or buy it?

How many dungeons were you able to find and what kind of treasures did they contain?

How do ships with the multiple cannons work? Did you partake in any large battles with ships?

How do hovertanks and mounts work with fighting un-mounted individuals?

How much faster are mounts than a sprinting player? Why didn't you mention anything about mounts in your review?

Did you get a chance to test any siege equipment with taking over other clan cities?

What is the limit on the number of players that can bind at a clan stone? How much does it increase with each additional house built?

How long does it take the average clan to gather enough resources to start building a city? (Figure an average clan is 25 members).

Heh... o.k. just a bunch of random questions that popped into my head. Thanks for any answers you can provide.

Thanks for the review as well.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Originally posted by xzyax

Originally posted by Paragus1

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Good review. Comprehensive without being overly long, and well written.

Thank you.  I was very worried that it would be loo long for people to make it through.   There are still a lot of aspects I never even touched on, but I wanted to hit on many of the basic gameplay topics.

Posted some questions in your blog... I'll repost them here as well:

Couple of questions:

Are there prerequisites for "upgrading" to different weapons and armor? Or, are you able to wear and use anything from day one as soon as you find it or buy it?

How many dungeons were you able to find and what kind of treasures did they contain?

How do ships with the multiple cannons work? Did you partake in any large battles with ships?

How do hovertanks and mounts work with fighting un-mounted individuals?

How much faster are mounts than a sprinting player? Why didn't you mention anything about mounts in your review?

Did you get a chance to test any siege equipment with taking over other clan cities?

What is the limit on the number of players that can bind at a clan stone? How much does it increase with each additional house built?

How long does it take the average clan to gather enough resources to start building a city? (Figure an average clan is 25 members).

Heh... o.k. just a bunch of random questions that popped into my head. Thanks for any answers you can provide.

Thanks for the review as well.

See the blog for answers, i tried to get as many as I could

I did see some mounts in the moonlight and snapped this pic, some of my guildies saw some a lot closer but didn't have the presence of mind you take a picture.  Excuse the view, but they were on the other side of a lake I was near.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Thanks for the answers in the blog.

I posted some more questions in there as well. 

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Nice review Paragus, and well balanced.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Hi Paragus1, nice write up.

So whats the goal for players in this game? the so-call end-game, or objective? Since gear is of no value, so there wont be a need  to raid dungeons, bg to grind, crafting also have not much purpose i guess?

Any idea what do players do once they max out their skills?

RIP Orc Choppa

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Bruticus_XI

I am interested in seeing his blogs as he plays Darkfall in the coming months more than the review right now. We all know he went from /thumbsup to /thumbsdown with AoC . So did the other poster in this thread ! Time will tell.

And so did mmorpg.com, they also changed their score accordingly.

AoC tricked many people with a superb intro, wich spawned lots of positive reviews.

Being open minded enough to come back on ones earlier opinion is a good atribute.

I will also await more reviews in the coming months to see how this game will do.

Originally posted by atziluth

Even though we have butted heads in the past your preview of the game is objective and well done. Good job on the write up. I doubt it will persuade anyone one way or the other however that does not seem to be your intent.
    See you in game with the NA release if you end up playing on those servers.

I appreciate it man.  I wasn't really trying to persuade anyone to buy or not buy, I just want the average person who hasn't been drooling over every beta leak to have some sort of idea of where things are right now, and where they are going so they can decide if the game is for them. 

• Was it just me or did that write-up sound like one excuse after another for the game's shortcomings?

o) The grapics/animations are bad but you barely notice because you're in first person mode.

o) The UI/controls are poorly done, but you get used to it.

o) The looting is cumbersome but it keeps with the spirit of the game.

Heck the entire summary section is one big excuse for their poor design skills... "The game is being developed by Aventurine, an Indy developer that has made an MMO with a fraction of the manpower, and at a fraction of the price compared to the industry leaders". In other words, it sucks but give them some slack because they're a small-time operation?

Sorry, but when you have to use terms like "solid framework" (i.e. the house is falling apart but the foundation is sound) for a game review, reds flags start going off like crazy for me.

Originally posted by Gyrus

Nice review Paragus - well done.

Will you be doing more reviews after the game goes 'live'?  Do you expect a change then?

(I ask because I do, and I would be interested to see another review after things settle down at the end of the first subscription cycle - say 45 days in?)

This is a possibility.  I am still hoping to see more patching before now and release.   At least the patch notes will be public knowledge now, so people will get to see how the game is progressing.

• DrAtomicDrAtomic Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by singsofdeath

Pretty fair review, which, of course, still cannot adress the (possible) problems of the game when it releases, but that's gonna be seen when it does release. ^^

My only beef with it is what miagisan already said. Generalizing epople into "casual/linear and hardcore/non-linear"  is simply not true. Lots of people love games like eve, which are far from linear and still are casual gamers and lots of "hardcore" people enjoy linear games.

Other than that, I suppose my main concerns will only be alleviated or proven when the game releases. Thanks for the effort. :D

Meh, Eve is a very bad example because it contains some very linear/carebear careers (industry/missioning), Eve is far from the hardcore game people think it is, lowsec and 0.0 can be harsh but empire is linear carebear heaven.