Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will keep me subbed to this Game?

I have waited a long time for another SW MMO since the hacking to bits of SWG. I'm a big Star Wars fan; actually I’m only 5'8 so not that big. :) Anyway, SWG was my 1st MMO I played and I loved it. The community was great, the crafting was complex, PVP was awesome, player cities, and I could go on and on.  Even though the game wasn’t finished and quests were broken the game was really enjoyable. I played for 3 years on Ahazi until the NGE and for me even though I’m from the UK playing with you Yanks was awesome! I made some great friends which i still keep in contact with today. For me the community was the best and it really shows as I have played other MMO's and left and I rarely keep in touch with anybody as there isn’t the community SWG had. The community was spawned from a good economy, player cities, pvp and just helping others and other helping you. I loved that the best weapon smith on Ahazi was a women called Wednesday and everyone bought weapons from her as her weapons rocked! It was almost like real life, you get good service and a good deal you go back!

SWG was and still is the best MMO I have ever played. SWG opened up the world of other MMO games and i have played a few including Lineage 2, AOC, RF, WOW and now LOTRO. Ok, SWG how we know it is dead and I’m not asking for SWTOR to be SWG, what I am asking for is not to make a clone of WOW or any other MMO out there. Even though I play LOTRO and enjoy it, it’s hardly anything new to the MMO market. In fact it is very much like WOW. I couldn’t play WOW due to the graphics; I hated them even though I though the game play was ok. As i'm a LOTR fan i thought i would play it and found it very like WOW and it is the only MMO on the market i care to play. What i'm trying to say if Bioware want for subscribers to pay for SWTOR instead of WOW or anyother game like it they should make a game which is set apart from the rest and totally unique. If they dont i may as well just play WOW or LOTRO. 

At the end of the day none of us know what the game is going to be like, but all i ask is no to the same old carp that is being churned up in the MMO market. Go and kill 10,000 mobs and then carry something to some loser half way across the map = boring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I just hope they don’t make this mistake and make the MMO market fresh again. Please bioware give us something new, totally new!  It like MMO developers haven’t got any balls to think outside of the WOW box. Just imagine if in the motor industry for example if all the manufactures made the same car with the same specs? Why would you buy a Ford over a BMW?

Another asks am i hoping they sell life times subs. I can’t play as much as I like as I run a large business. I don’t mind paying out and playing when I can. Only a wish though. 

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

The wait sucks I know. All we got now is speculation based on vague interviews. I do remember them saying they won't be putting any fed-ex type missions in TOR, and it would not be a classic  XP system and there would be some innovations . What that means I have no idea. All you can do is wait, and it's pretty hard at times.

anyways, what will keep me subbed is lots of cool people to hang out  with, and plenty of content, and mini games.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• PalatinePalatine Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by tillamook

The wait sucks I know. All we got now is speculation based on vague interviews. I do remember them saying they won't be putting any fed-ex type missions in TOR, and it would not be a classic  XP system and there would be some innovations . What that means I have no idea. All you can do is wait, and it's pretty hard at times.

anyways, what will keep me subbed is lots of cool people to hang out  with, and plenty of content, and mini games.

I hope they have a complex crafting system. Although i dont craft in any MMO as i find it damn boring, i think its good to have it complex as only a few can master it and be the best. This really created a community in SWG, like no other MMO i have ever seen. While i like LORTO the game i find the community null. 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Palatine

I hope they have a complex crafting system. Although i dont craft in any MMO as i find it damn boring, i think its good to have it complex as only a few can master it and be the best. This really created a community in SWG, like no other MMO i have ever seen. While i like LORTO the game i find the community null. 

They said they would have a crafting system, they came up with a creative way to have it in TOR, but once again, no details. xD

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Lord_DaemusLord_Daemus SWG CorrespondentMember Posts: 28

I know how you feel Palatine, as I'm only 5'8'' and run a large business as well, haha. I'd have to say that this game will have much to bring to the table.

1) Storyline: BioWare promises a deep storyline to keep the player striving for more, and working toward a level cap.

2)Content Updates: BioWare has been good when it comes to updating their software, and I'm quite sure they understand the need for content updates that expand the universe. I wouldn't be shocked if they came out with an expansion every year, with various large updates in the middle.

3)Fun factor: Lets face it, KOTOR and KOTOR2 both have a ton of replayability. I've played both through about 10 times and still have fun. If they bring that kind of design to the table, this game will be well worth the money per month.

I would have to say that BioWare seems to be pulling out all of the stops when it comes to getting players in. The TOR community is already gigantic, and its not even anywhere close to even Closed Beta testing. I'm thinking that they are thinking outside of the WoW box as you said. It looks promising. Sure, the character animations do look a bit cartoonish, but, as we all know, we cant keep doing the whole "It looks real!" thing. It makes games look more bland and somewhat lifeless than their artistic brethren.

I would agree. Ask like 300 for a lifetime sub and then be done with it. That way, hardcore players can play as much as they want and busy players can play whenever without worrying about when the payment is due.

And this is off topic, but you said you're a SWG veteran. One thing that I've enjoyed about SWG is the new TCG. It allows for you to kick back and play cards when you're bored or waiting for your guild. I would enjoy seeing this in the game, as it brings more money in for the developers to pay for the development costs, and allows for special items. Plus, nothing would be more awesome than a KOTOR card game... Ultra rare "Darth Revan: Instantly kills all enemy units and deals 10 damage to enemy avatar." Some people don't like it, some do.

Ex-SWG Correspondent
    Currently playing: FFXI, SWTOR
    Awaiting: FFXIV 2.0

• GamerBenGamerBen Member Posts: 52

alright little people, give me your lunch money or i'll e-punch you

i'm playin i'm barely 6', anywho, i somehwat trialed LOTRO, had it on the 2nd monitor and played it if scenarios were taking a while to pop on WAR, i found the game a little...not for me but could be because i use to play WoW and didn't really do anything but lv to 3...

I was thinking of giving SWG a try but that carebear screenshot kinda turned me away from it..fekking carebears... how did they break the game anyways? i read stuff here and there about it but didn't bother to look it up

also gave Tabula Rasa a try today, they added in a bunch of game breaking weapons/armor so it's kinda funny for me as i'm lv8 and gunning down lv25+, and also going up to other players and saying "Your ammo or your life" They're shutting down on the 28th of this month I believe

• HozloffHozloff Member Posts: 193

i do hope you are wrong.

we know little of the end game for sw:tor right now, but i suspect it is an issue bioware will have to consider and tackle at some point. their quests will inevitably run out and people will reach their max level at some point.

you say hang out? doing what exactly? in todays mmos people barely stop to say hello. unless there is a common purpose to "hang out" such as those we knew from swg (visting cantinas to visit ents, or medics at medical centers, or organised weddings) i can guarantee you that sitting around to "hang out" will not be a winner.

the content we will have to wait and see what they have up their sleeves. as for mini games... if mini games is the future of end game content for mmos we are doomed.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Palatine

I have waited a long time for another SW MMO since the hacking to bits of SWG. I'm a big Star Wars fan; actually I’m only 5'8 so not that big. :) Anyway, SWG was my 1st MMO I played and I loved it. The community was great, the crafting was complex, PVP was awesome, player cities, and I could go on and on.  Even though the game wasn’t finished and quests were broken the game was really enjoyable. I played for 3 years on Ahazi until the NGE and for me even though I’m from the UK playing with you Yanks was awesome! I made some great friends which i still keep in contact with today. For me the community was the best and it really shows as I have played other MMO's and left and I rarely keep in touch with anybody as there isn’t the community SWG had. The community was spawned from a good economy, player cities, pvp and just helping others and other helping you. I loved that the best weapon smith on Ahazi was a women called Wednesday and everyone bought weapons from her as her weapons rocked! It was almost like real life, you get good service and a good deal you go back!
    SWG was and still is the best MMO I have ever played. SWG opened up the world of other MMO games and i have played a few including Lineage 2, AOC, RF, WOW and now LOTRO. Ok, SWG how we know it is dead and I’m not asking for SWTOR to be SWG, what I am asking for is not to make a clone of WOW or any other MMO out there. Even though I play LOTRO and enjoy it, it’s hardly anything new to the MMO market. In fact it is very much like WOW. I couldn’t play WOW due to the graphics; I hated them even though I though the game play was ok. As i'm a LOTR fan i thought i would play it and found it very like WOW and it is the only MMO on the market i care to play. What i'm trying to say if Bioware want for subscribers to pay for SWTOR instead of WOW or anyother game like it they should make a game which is set apart from the rest and totally unique. If they dont i may as well just play WOW or LOTRO. 
    At the end of the day none of us know what the game is going to be like, but all i ask is no to the same old carp that is being churned up in the MMO market. Go and kill 10,000 mobs and then carry something to some loser half way across the map = boring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I just hope they don’t make this mistake and make the MMO market fresh again. Please bioware give us something new, totally new!  It like MMO developers haven’t got any balls to think outside of the WOW box. Just imagine if in the motor industry for example if all the manufactures made the same car with the same specs? Why would you buy a Ford over a BMW?
    Another asks am i hoping they sell life times subs. I can’t play as much as I like as I run a large business. I don’t mind paying out and playing when I can. Only a wish though. 

I mostly agree with your post but the problem I have with it is when you say if it is too similar to wow why play it? Well for some of us it will be the lore and for others it will be the setting for example I am simply worn out on fantasy mmos I will simply not play any more no AOC no WAR no WOW or WOW2 even but I will continue to play lotro but after that the settings will have to be different to get me involved (though I will try DF simply because it's radically different build) otherwise my list consists of DCO, maybe champions certainly STO and TOR I for one would not be all that disappointed if it played similar to lotro with some different elements to it because one thing I want is a good sci fi game.

Now as I stated I'm not at all against a good game with innovative features but the problem is too often this is what we ask for but rarely give any ideas on what we think would constitute this difference and if we can't figure out what we consider to be different why expect someone else to?

At any rate I expect some elements to be different from most mainstream games but I'm not expecting them to reinvent the wheel and I hope that if that does turn out to be the case you can still sub and enjoy the game for what it is.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

You know Palatine, a lot of people still haven't come to realize that it was the community that made SWG great (the dynamic of the game with some classes was horrible (even pre CU). I hope that TOR is nothing like SWG other than the communtiy.

I hope to run across good people that I can quest with and PvP against in the game.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by Hozloff

i do hope you are wrong.

we know little of the end game for sw:tor right now, but i suspect it is an issue bioware will have to consider and tackle at some point. their quests will inevitably run out and people will reach their max level at some point.

you say hang out? doing what exactly? in todays mmos people barely stop to say hello. unless there is a common purpose to "hang out" such as those we knew from swg (visting cantinas to visit ents, or medics at medical centers, or organised weddings) i can guarantee you that sitting around to "hang out" will not be a winner.

the content we will have to wait and see what they have up their sleeves. as for mini games... if mini games is the future of end game content for mmos we are doomed.

So what would you think is a winner for end game?

I'm really curious about your answer on this one, after reaching a point within the game where progression for yourself is pretty much a done until expansion, what do you think will keep people logging in?

You wouldn't be one of those people who say the game starts at cap level would you, and if so what you told him/her is moot.

• HozloffHozloff Member Posts: 193
    Originally posted by Nergle

Originally posted by Hozloff

i do hope you are wrong.

So what would you think is a winner for end game?

I'm really curious about your answer on this one, after reaching a point within the game where progression for yourself is pretty much a done until expansion, what do you think will keep people logging in?

You wouldn't be one of those people who say the game starts at cap level would you, and if so what you told him/her is moot.

in short - putting your skills and abilities to work in a way that impacts the world you live in and contributes to attain a high end goal (galactic war?)

The game should allow for players to depend on one another in all processes of advancement (not talking about their skills - since we are talking about maxed out characters here - but rather a selection of player-to-player services, player economies, guild and player city features with specific  independant player roles). also, by implementing player ownership (such as housing, cities) which require attention, decision making and evolution. to quote raph koster:

"You have to give players a sense of ownership in the game. This is what will make them stay--it is a "barrier to departure." Social bonds are not enough, because good social bonds extend outside the game. Instead, it is context. If they can build their own buildings, build a character, own possessions, hold down a job, feel a sense of responsibility to something that cannot be removed from the game--then you have ownership."

... and in my opinion - then you have content too; one will will not have to wait for the next patch or the next to become old (such as dungeons).

and to quote raph koster yet again:

Your game design must be expansive. Even the coolest game mechanic becomes tiresome after a time. You have to supply alternate ways of playing, or alternate ways of experiencing the world. Otherwise, the players will go to another world where they can have new experiences. This means new additions, or better yet, completely different subgames embedded in the actual game.

...and by "subgames" he does not mean "minigames". sub games to give you a few examples were the political and city aspect in SWG, or the original jedi rank system (as flawed as it was), or features which allowed for the creation of shopping malls...

• PalatinePalatine Member Posts: 65

Some good banter going on here and i have to agree with all that is being said. I guess we all agree thats the game needs content and community, with out these the game fails. 

I have got faith that this game maybe something different. Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't  a few of the old SWG team working on this project? If they are, it was those guys who gave us SWG a great game, the game was fresh and new. I just hope that the game is nothing like the old SWG and is totally fresh, but has great content and a awesome community. Its just how they pull this off which we wait for. :)

Thanks for your replies guys!