Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has it ever occured to you?

DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

This one goes out to all of the people complaining about how many jedi will be seen in this game:

has it ever occured to you that, timeline notwithstanding, players will see a disproportionately large number of ALL classes compared to what is "realistic" for the timeline?  

Now, obviously jedi were more rare than what SWG depicts for its timeline, I would never dispute that...but I would also venture to say that smugglers, bounty hunters, teras kasi masters, and any number of other professions in the game were numerically misrepresented as well.  To say nothing of the complete retardation that exists in SWG's itemization (one in 10 bounty hunters has full mandalorian) I don't think it's at all realistic to have as many bioengineers, doctors, combat medics, and POLEARM MASTERS as SWG has or had, whether you're talking about Pre-CU or NGE. 

Am I complaining about this overrepresentation?  NO!!  Why not?  Well, because being a moisture farmer and never leaving Tattooine in the entire span of your character's life simply isn't fun!  I'm not saying that developers should just do whatever the hell they want with the canon and timeline as long as it's fun; I'm saying that sometimes you have to suspend what is realistic (in the context of Star Wars, or whatever franchise it is) and go with what is fun for the players.

Of course, I'm not basing my opinions solely on what has been done in SWG, that would be a foolish thing to do...so let's examine how things would play out in SW:TOR

You make your first character, a droid Bounty Hunter named HK-48...awesome!  You look around, surely with billions of inhabitants you will seldom run across characters that fulfill the exact same role as you do...but then five minutes later you run into a group of five players, two of which are droid bounty hunters...and worse, they have all the same gear and stats that you do!  You move on though, thinking that perhaps it was just a fluke...that in a galaxy with billions, if not trillions of inhabitants, that such a coincidence will never happen again...you cringe when you realize that this will be a daily occurance...that you are not in the actual star wars universe, that you are playing a GAME where people don't want to be mundane, they want to be awesome...they want to be Jedi. 

From a timeline and lore standpoint the jedi will be overrepresented, this is an unavoidable truth about any star wars game...but guess what, jedi are a focal point of star wars...they are overrepresented in your precious original trillogy, as well as the prequels, as well as nearly all of the expanded universe...and do you know why?  Because they're interesting!  People want to take part in that.

And when you really stop to think about it...in the context of Star Wars there are millions of systems with billions of planets...so uhh...how overrepresented are jedi really?  Maybe a couple thousand on a given server out of an assumed trillion or so inhabitants in the actual galaxy?  Of course that trillion is mostly comprised of NPC's and imagined/assumed inhabitants of planets that aren't even in the game so that kinda takes the fun out of it...but then again, why would you be adventuring with them if they are random people from random and obscure planets?  You're going to be spending your time with the important people - that is: Other players!  Other players are...say it with me now "interested in playing classes like jedi and bounty hunter.  All of which will be overrepresented in the context of the small number of inhabitants that the player sees, but likely underrepresented in the context of a real, actual galaxy full of inhabitants."

Now stop crying...we all know that you'll play the game whether it's a sandbox or a theme park or a damn merry go round grind fest with lightsabers attached to gophers calling themselves skippy.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Comments

• MangoXIIMangoXII Member Posts: 203

What about those of us complaining about The Old Republic and not using SWG as a base?

I am just not looking forward to Warcraft in space. I'll give it a shot, I'm sure (I give pretty much any game a try), but I certainly don't have high hopes for it. Lately I've just been getting sick of the standard create character, level up, raid, formula. I'd much rather see a sandbox with fun combat.

Anyway, I'll just wait to see how it comes. Maybe wait for beta leak videos? :P

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by MangoXII

What about those of us complaining about The Old Republic and not using SWG as a base?
    I am just not looking forward to Warcraft in space. I'll give it a shot, I'm sure (I give pretty much any game a try), but I certainly don't have high hopes for it. Lately I've just been getting sick of the standard create character, level up, raid, formula. I'd much rather see a sandbox with fun combat.
    Anyway, I'll just wait to see how it comes. Maybe wait for beta leak videos? :P

This is extremely valid and I agree in principle.  Here is the biggest flaw with SWG being the huge sandbox that it was, and this coming from someone that loved that game:  The developers do not create a game.  They create this huge sandbox and say go play in it, make up your own game and pay us for the privelege of doing so.

Now, this is my opinion but, the only reason why I play these mmos is because the old stalwarts: Black Isle Studios, Origin Systems, Ion Storm, Looking Glass Studios, Sir-Tech, Interplay, etc etc etc no longer create the deep compelling RPG's that they used to.  And the one part that is always missing from these mmo's is the story element.  The last great RPG's created, again imo, have all come from BioWare and Obsidian Entertainment but we haven't had anything new to sink our teeth into for a very very long time.  Yes both companies have new offerings in the works, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, and The Old Republic.

I personally am looking forward to an mmo that bring back the rpg and am hoping that BioWare will deliver.

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393
    Originally posted by Draenor

...they are overrepresented in your precious original trillogy, as well as the prequels, as well as nearly all of the expanded universe...and do you know why?  Because they're interesting!  People want to take part in that.

While I agree with your assessment of the reality of Jedi in an online SW game, I have to take issue with your assertion that they're over-represented in the OT.  Jedi were a complete mystery for a large portion of the first three films, and that is precisely what made them so appealing to everyone and their dog in the first place.

When Ben Kenobi tells Luke about the Clone Wars with a twinkle in his eye and a rather cryptic 'I was once a Jedi Knight' people wanted to know what exactly that was, and until Return of the Jedi came around, they really had no idea and their imagination filled in the blanks.  Yoda in ESB provided a bit of insight but it was still fairly abstract in terms of what Jedi did and what a Jedi at the height of his power looked like. 

When twenty years of fan speculation ended with the glut of Jedi in the prequels (and the subsequent flood of mostly crap spin-offs), Force-users ceased to be unattainable, mysterious, and other-worldy, and are now basically expected in everything with the SW logo.  They're a cliche.

That's too bad, because a huge portion of the OT's charm was the space cowboy trappings and the pirates and pilots gunslinging and running various gauntlets.  Lightsabers were on screen for about 30 of 360 minutes in the OT, yet they're all people remember or want to talk about.

I have no problem with Jedi in SW:TOR, I'll probably roll one myself, but I'd like to see people realize that SW isn't solely about Jedi.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by veritas_X

Originally posted by Draenor

...they are overrepresented in your precious original trillogy, as well as the prequels, as well as nearly all of the expanded universe...and do you know why?  Because they're interesting!  People want to take part in that.

While I agree with your assessment of the reality of Jedi in an online SW game, I have to take issue with your assertion that they're over-represented in the OT.  Jedi were a complete mystery for a large portion of the first three films, and that is precisely what made them so appealing to everyone and their dog in the first place.

When Ben Kenobi tells Luke about the Clone Wars with a twinkle in his eye and a rather cryptic 'I was once a Jedi Knight' people wanted to know what exactly that was, and until Return of the Jedi came around, they really had no idea and their imagination filled in the blanks.  Yoda in ESB provided a bit of insight but it was still fairly abstract in terms of what Jedi did and what a Jedi at the height of his power looked like. 

When twenty years of fan speculation ended with the glut of Jedi in the prequels (and the subsequent flood of mostly crap spin-offs), Force-users ceased to be unattainable, mysterious, and other-worldy, and are now basically expected in everything with the SW logo.  They're a cliche.

That's too bad, because a huge portion of the OT's charm was the space cowboy trappings and the pirates and pilots gunslinging and running various gauntlets.  Lightsabers were on screen for about 30 of 360 minutes in the OT, yet they're all people remember or want to talk about.

I have no problem with Jedi in SW:TOR, I'll probably roll one myself, but I'd like to see people realize that SW isn't solely about Jedi.

I'll concede the point regarding the number of actual jedi and information about them in the OT...my point was simply that the movies put a HUGE focus on one "profession" (ugh i hate calling it that) over the others - thus, overrepresentation according to the standards of those who would say that SW:TOR will suck because of said reason.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.