Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First 2 weeks in WOKF opinion

allikoalliko Member UncommonPosts: 99

Hi everyone ^_^

Intro about me: 20 something girl gamer who has played many F2Ps and some P2Ps MMOs both in English and French.

About the game: Set in Ancient China - like setting, this fantasy MMO has a nice feel to it and the outfits and weapons all match the theme keeping its ambiance.

Getting started is very easy. The interface is simple to figure out and is pretty much current mmo standard fare. Hot Keys are not rebindable though, so that is on the downside of things if you are a control fiend like me.

Skills are purchased from NPCs for miniscule amount as are the upgrades in skill level. Once you have upgraded a skill you cannot use the lower level version of it. (which so far I haven't seen a need too ...i am just pointing it out.)

There are plenty of quests to start out on and help show you the game system.  Once you reach 40 the quests are fewer, but there are many daily events and daily dungeon events that will keep you chugging along.  There is extra experience gain on Fridays and Saturdays, so if you are a weekend grinder this is perfect for you. Also, when you have killed enough monsters in the area you wish to join as your country (country reputation), then you can join that nation. Each Nation has a king determined by most experience rep for that area. Your king runs events for the people in his country from 5 times per week double exp for 2hrs to invading foreign nations. The more active your king is, the more fun things you can do.  Guilds also have quests...from the usual grind me this mob and you get experience/school prestige/money to kill people from our enemy school.

If you tire of the grind you can gather wood, herbs, and ores or work on your crafting making clothing, armour, medicine, and food.  Sadly making medicine and food will NOT elevate your crafting repuation, which is something that may need to be reconsidered.

Now I have played some F2P games where you spent 20+ hours just trying to drop gear so your toon could finally have new set after 20 levels of wearing same outfit... and still not gotten anything. So I am a huge fan of tiered gear, where basic gear of your level can be bought at the NPC or easily made and then the rare ones with better stats could be rewards dropped from mobs. Nobody likes to be 10 levels past where they could have worn new things and unable to find or purchase them off other players for ++++ $$.  Fortunately WOKF does have the staple NPC basic clothing and then the rarer stuff you can drop or craft, so that is a very nice thing.

The community in WOKF is a mixed bag. I was fortunate to find a good 2 guilds that were helpful and supportive right away. I also used the forums to find a mentor (member level 60+ who helps guide you through and once you reach 50 both you adn he geta reward) and he was a huge help in getting started. That being said though... the average player that I have run across in the field has been rude... not always, but more often then I have seen in some other games. I am not sure if this is a by-product of a game that can for the most part be soloed, or f2p symptom or combination of the two. Like all MMOs there is the good adn bad to the community. Find a good school that appreciates you and start building up a friends list of people you have enjoyed talking too and fighting beside. They will help you with quests, gear, and knowledge. AND NEVER eat your young... if you are bored/have time...why not help out that new player asking questions in town? Show him around and help him get his dailies done. Lead by example. If people join WOKF and see that the norm is to be helpful, why they may act that way too...and then low and behold the game changes.

Cash shop gold can be sold in game, so you do not have to cash shop to obtain cash shop items. I did to increase my inventory, but I am a pack rat.  The game does allow you to get married (has to be boy-girl marriage... wish devs would stop enforcing that stereotype), but the rings to be married with are cash shop only and fairly pricey. Once married, you get to teleport to your partner, access to married quests, and when in team together you get a couple's bonus of up to 15%.

SO after 2 weeks, I am enjoying it still. I am on Iron Monkey server and my main is Atiya 4x spear. I also have 2x hook, hammer and bow. I hope that this review was useful and helps you decide whether to run away or try out WOKF.

Currently Playing: D3-ROS
Previously played: WoW, Tera, SWTOR, TSW, Rift, Defiance, GW2, Aion, LotRO, Rapplez, RoM, Dofus, LC, Requiem, WoKF, PW, etc
Waiting on: Wildstar

Comments

• allikoalliko Member UncommonPosts: 99

Yes in WOKF it has to be Male and a female toon to get married. BUT as I am sure you well know, many guys play female toons and girls play male toons... So who cares to stick to the one man one woman rule for getting married in a virtual online game.  Maybe the person you play most with is another toon the same gender as you and you are too high level to want to make a new toon of a different gender but still wish you could be married for the added bonuses.  I am not making a bold politcal statement here.  Just letting potential players know that the marriage system in game does limit their choices.

And in real life, who cares... You don't have to marry a same sex partner if you don't want too, but the key here is choice.  And I was pointing out it would be nice if they gave it to us in game.

I am not paid to write a review...and as the topic is called My OPINION ...well I think I am entitled to it.

Previously played: WoW, Tera, SWTOR, TSW, Rift, Defiance, GW2, Aion, LotRO, Rapplez, RoM, Dofus, LC, Requiem, WoKF, PW, etc

• DeegoDeego Member UncommonPosts: 5

"You said you can get married in this game but it has to be girl and boy according to you. Then you added "I wish they would stop enforcing that stereotype."

So according to you a male-female marraige is an old stereotype? It should be male on male or female on female, right?

I know I'm not being "politically correct" in finding your thoughts rather dumb and I don't care but you lost your mind? If you're going to rate the game then fine, do it, but keep your personal views out of it. No one cares whether you think gay marraiges should take place especially in a game."

You're caring about it. Personal comments are personal comments. This is your personal comment on her personal comment, which is my person comment towards your personal comment. You've claimed to not care, and you're speaking for others. A review itself is one big personal comment about a game.

Help, help, help. It's all fun.

• iamspamicusiamspamicus Member UncommonPosts: 114

Good quick review Alliko.

Don't listen to the marriage complainers. I also think it's about time to allow marriages of all types in these games.

Maybe not on an RP server since I doubt it realistically happened back in those days or fits into an RP setting. However if they sell panda suits in the cash shop  and let you ride flying tigers, then I don't see why newer MMOs restrict marriage options :P  I myself don't swing that way, but it's always nice to have choices, whether you take advantage of them or not.

- Anyway, I was thinking about trying this game out and heard it has a lot of pvp. Is the pvp forced? - Or can you level to max without being pked if you don't want to be.

I do occasionally like to pvp , but only on my terms, and I don't enjoy having to watch my back everytime I go out to level up.

• allikoalliko Member UncommonPosts: 99

There is no PVP in the first 3 towns, but once you get to Xitang Rainforest then others can PK you. There will always be some who enjoy to PK the smaller toons for sadistic pleasure, but most will only flag up when they feel wronged.  You can have battles against enemy schools or sneak attack school termination quests. If someone from an enemy school kills you they will gain no PVP points.  But if some random joe kills you then he will .... and gains enough PVP points then he risks lossing his gear when killed and people can pay the Yamen NPC s for his whereabouts to hunt him.

So I think it depends on the school you join how much PVP you engage in. There is always arena to pvp in and events to pvp in.

Personally I have been PKed or attempted PK only three times.  

1) some guy kept spam inviting me to his party and I kept declining. He told me he wanted my farming spot and I could either join him or die.. so when he started to hit me I killed him.

2) kicked some guy from a farming team for constant AFKs... 10 mins later when he came back and realised he tried to PK me.

3) some guy in a one man school declared the school I am in as enemy and then went to try to find our low end members to kill (of which I was one) ... he found me and I ran from him ... kept him running long enough till 2 schoolies could arrive to jump him and get points off him. Sadly though, 15 mins later he returned with a bought speed charm and caught me.

• iamspamicusiamspamicus Member UncommonPosts: 114

Thanks for the pvp experiences/insight! Much more descriptive  than "sometimes you get pked" lol . You've piqued my interest and I'm going to give it a go.

It's cool to know that I have some safe levels to experience the game and community before I am forced to make a decision to continue on and subject myself to the pk culture part of it. It definitely doesn't sound as brutal as I would have imagined from reading the emo drama in the other threads.

Hopefully the game won't be too grindy or drama filled and will satiate my need for a fun martial arts mmo. (Still haven't found one to keep my interest for more than a few months). - Although Three Kingdoms goes open beta in 3 days and I will definitely be playing that again.