Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reccomendations for a router?

tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

my router is finally dead, and i need a router that supports "multple bands" or w.e that means. The reason is because if i can get one that supports multiple bands then i can get away without paying for it myself. Although they are expensive and i was told there is some other name for multiple band, but all i've been able to find are "dual-bands". Anyways, any help is appreciated.

EDIT: also if it could be from somewhere like office depot or staples. Something that if it doesnt work, it can be taken back to the store real quick. Or something cheap. Either one of those would be good. (cheap is below 50$)

Playing: EVE Online
Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

What do you mean by you can get away with not paying for it yourself?

I think what you are looking for is a router that supports B, G and N. B is oldschool, G is what most wireless uses and N is the new school.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by skeaser

What do you mean by you can get away with not paying for it yourself?

my dad offered to buy one that has to have "multiple bands" and it needs to be from a retailer we could just take back to the store if it doesnt work. If i get any other one that doesnt atleast have one of those options, and if it broke(or didnt work), then i would have to pay for it.

You're looking for something like this:

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

Edit: Here's on at Best Buy (if there is one near you) that has good reviews and should do you well for a good price too.

www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp

• theforzetheforze Member Posts: 38

I recommend Linksys Routers m8, made by Cisco,

Whether your on ADSL or DSL, you cant go wrong with a Cisco router IMO

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/Routers

The Deathstar destroyed planets...SOE destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT

Originally posted by theforze

I recommend Linksys Routers m8, made by Cisco,
    Whether your on ADSL or DSL, you cant go wrong with a Cisco router IMO

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/Routers

Linksys isn't flawless though. I had an older Linksys that was wonky as could be. I finally gave up and switched to D-link and am much happier. I'm sure there are plenty who could flip my situation too. Electronics are just too finicky.

• theforzetheforze Member Posts: 38

Aye D-Link are good too,

I have an awesome cisco linksys atm i must say, there new range is really good.

Its all down to a little personal preference as well as meeting a criteria to do the job at hand :)

The Deathstar destroyed planets...SOE destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT

• NemmerNemmer Member Posts: 14

I run a Linksys Wireless G router that's using the DDWRT opensource firmware.  Basically for the cost of the router you end up with Enterprise level configurability and protection.  Works great, it's surprisingly easy to install and setup/use.

Sarkazmo

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of War!!!

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by skeaser

You're looking for something like this:
    www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx
    Edit: Here's on at Best Buy (if there is one near you) that has good reviews and should do you well for a good price too.
    www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp

Well i bought a router that is very similar to the router in your first link in this post. I noticed a huge difference in internet speed, and the router was worth every penny. Thx for your help

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170
    Originally posted by Nemmer

I run a Linksys Wireless G router that's using the DDWRT opensource firmware.  Basically for the cost of the router you end up with Enterprise level configurability and protection.  Works great, it's surprisingly easy to install and setup/use.

Sarkazmo

Yea, I had a WRT54G for years and when it died I got replaced it with a Linksys WRT54GL - it's a great $50 router you can put opensource firmware on to make it highly configurable.  There is a list of DD-WRT supported routers at www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices though if you want to do the open source firmware on a 802.11n wireless router.