Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAoC better or = to war

DAoC better or = to war 

Comments

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

combat, pvp, and rvr is extremely better.

PVE in war, probably better, and by that I mean quests etc. DAOC pve is pretty much go to camp A and grind till you cap out or can do the next camp. Personally, I prefer DAOC's method, as with pling I can get a new 50 in about 4 hours. However, if your looking for entertaining pve, war is the better option.

That being said, DAOC's pvp, rvr, etc are 10x better.

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

Well, to me, they're about equal. DAoC was more complex, which I liked, but WAR is more of a game, which I also like. Go figure, right? WAR is easy to pick up and play, easy to have fun. DAoC, mainly because of its age, is a bit more awkward (for me at least).

Overall, DAoC had better RvR and crafting (the variety of skills - the grind was bad, but if WAR had that much variety minus the grind, they'd be set!). DAoC also had more siege weapons, which I liked, but Mythic said they'll add more to WAR as well (maybe siege towers?) so who knows. I think WAR has better PvP combat (believe it or not, I don't like crazy OP'd classes who can mez for 20 secs or 3 shot you with stealth, etc.) and I think even though WAR's classes aren't perfectly balanced, they're really not that bad. Only problem right now is rampant CC in T4 but Mythic is starting to address that. PvE will be enhanced when Land of the Dead comes out in June, so I'm waiting for that - I know many people will like it, since it's like a Darkness Falls 2.

I know most other people will say DAoC blows WAR's socks off, and personally I'd rather they made a DAoC 2, if only because of the rich lore and the detailed medieval world setting (not too fantastical but not too boringly realistic either - great mix). But WAR is a good enough game and can stand the test of time, even in the shadow of its brother.

• LokyLoky Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by wookiecookie

DAoC better or = to war 

Is this a statement or question?

Statment, cool man gald you feel that way.

Question? Dark Age say, 2002, pre WoW, Pre TOA, Pre Frontiers........blows WAR outta the water.

Nowadays i think they are equal.. at times it is hard to find any world rvr in either then bang, like a switch turning on everyone comes outta the woodworks. I find both of the rvr in each game is different still.  Each games has different mechanics though, storyline , and leveling methods.

In the end though, im going with the Dark Age. 8 man groups, 3 realms, not totally gear based, griding mobs instead of quests, and a rich setting... i miss 2002....

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by wookiecookie
    DAoC better or = to war 

Very true

TBH any game made pre-2004 is pretty much better than anything newer on the market. Sad but true. But DAOC is still the best fantasy MMORPG out there, other than UO... which is a very sad statement of our times. It's just a shame that it has such a lack of players.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Personally there is no comparison.  I still think DAoC blows anything new out of the water and will continue to do so unless the trends change.  I will pick DAoC over WAR any day, for a long time to come.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

WAR= better graphics

DAOC=better gameplay and RvR

• DamajaDamaja Member Posts: 4

WAR is a joke. Its population is bigger cause its a new game. DAoC will always own WAR 100 times over

• DAOC hands down.

We see players returning from WAR all the time and those of us who tried WAR  still find it hard to understand how Mythic have made a game like WAR when they had the template of DAOC to work with.

It seems they stole parts of all the junk MMO's out there put them together and hoped for the best.

It is sad in a way that there are so many gamers out there who haven't or will not experience how good a game DAOC really is. (I do know it has issues btw :) ).

/salute

• PhoenixWritePhoenixWrite Member Posts: 33

If you want a game with RvR, then it is DaoC. WAR is a bad joke in compare, there you don't have real open RvR, you hardly can just cruise arround the Zone and have nice fights.

DaoC's strength is clearly that we have here a big RvR Zone and a seperated PvM Zone, it makes it all way easier and offers a lot more fun.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

First of all DAoC to me has the most exciting RvR system. I am a returning player, however I never did alot of RvR 3 years back, all I was worried about was to get to level 50 then and wanted to get into the BIG RvR areas. I never did make it to 50 with my Albion and stopped leveling at 44. Apparently the guild I was running with back then moved onto different things and so I left game as well, but I did enjoy the time I had back then because I can see my character list was filled with level 20's+ (LOL)

I just made a recent return to DAoC with the LotM expansion with 2 other friends of mine and let me tell you, we are enjoying the hell out of the game so far and we are only level 19's. With the tips and help from posters on this forum and at www.camelotvault.ign.com, we were able to help us grab the concept of DaoC better and also since we played Warhammer Online we understood what the hell was going on better in DAoC now.

To me Warhammer Online is fun in its on way and should be more of a starter game to understand DAoC RvR better, but the reason is that  the RvR in WAR is simply more simplistic compared to DAoC system. Now I dont know what the 45+ RvR's are like, but they must be intense.

Last night the four of us took a Keep in a Battleground called Killaloe -- Its a Battleground for levels 15 to 19 -- (the group consisted of: Healer, Shaman, Valkyrie and a Warrior).

We took the keep by using siege weapons and ran into some Hiberians trying to defend it, we managed to kill the keeplord and got our First Realm points on our low level characters. Once we captured the keep, we went out looking for some PvP and found more hiberians leveling off of beetles, it was 4 vs 4 and we owned them easily, probably beacuse they werent expecting PvP.. LOL

So far I am having fun with my friends in this game and on the downside I believe if my friends did'nt join me in DAoC, I dont think I would be having this type of experience in DAoC. So if you are thinking of playing DAoC, bring a few buddies of  yours into the game as well. There is so much to explore and do if you have never played this game before.

Just remember, its a old MMO so its not simple clicks for doing quests and figuring out things like we have in the newer MMO's today. I would say, get a feel for the game 1st then if you like the game download BobsUI 1.94 v4.03 to get  a more modern User Interface.

However the games population is barren in the newbie areas, so dont expect to see alot of players in the beginning area. I see more people now in the 20's then I did in the lower level area's and I am rolling on a Classic Server called Lamorak as a Midgard Shaman.

• PhoenixWritePhoenixWrite Member Posts: 33

We're having an Event-serie with our Guild, where we are leveling in another realm to experince their PvM. This means we are usually 7-8 people leveling in low areas and let me tell you, it is so much fun...I hardly had that much fun in a newer MMO. You are looking for an interesting Zone and start leveling on Monsters and try to kill really hard Monsters too. In newer MMOs all you're doing is questing...that's something you often can't do with a whole group neither with people who are lower in level.

Added to this DAoC got RvR, starting with Battlegrounds up to a great RvR Zone..seriously, if I think about it I can't understand why anybody should go for WAR if you can have DAoC? It is a fantastic game, still the very best MMO out there without any buts and ifs.

If somedays DAoC is turned off it will be the saddest day in MMO-History.

• vistakahvistakah Member Posts: 118

War plays like a FPS single player game with no real purpose where as DAOC was realm orientated with great rivalry between realms . We needed others to succeed. War is just a huge fall in PUG game with no organization with no purpose or real goals to achieve. No comparision really.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

DAoC is much MUCH better than WAR in just about every single way. 

The only thing keeping DAoC down, is the fact that Mythic is a pretty bad company when it comes to maintaining games. They've put a lot of polish and good new features into DAoC, but they've made several critical errors that KILLED IT. These errors include, /level 20 which gave it an early funeral, and ToA expansion, which finished it off. 

They only hope they have to come back is the Origins server.