Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, I'm scared now

A friend of a friend wants me to start this (in line to download now) but i AM a "newb" when it comes to mmos... played WoW, WAR, GW, LotR, RoM, etc  obviously newer mmos.

My worry is the keyboard control, no newb walkthrough/tips..etc  seems like you have to be an oldschool mmo-er to really enjoy this...  anything that might convice me to not run scared before i even start?

Comments

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by Mysticshaman

A friend of a friend wants me to start this (in line to download now) but i AM a "newb" when it comes to mmos... played WoW, WAR, GW, LotR, RoM, etc  obviously newer mmos.
    My worry is the keyboard control, no newb walkthrough/tips..etc  seems like you have to be an oldschool mmo-er to really enjoy this...  anything that might convice me to not run scared before i even start?

Well, fear not, you do not have to use the keyboard if you wish not to.  You can use a controller (XBox 360 one is great i hear).  I would not consider myself an old school MMO'er as my only experience coming into FFXI was Guild Wars.  There are now new quests that walk you through the basics of the game that give you an exp ring, how to craft, explains what signet is and why it's important and other basic stuff to get you going.

This game is daunting if you look at the whole picture of it just because of the vastness that is the game.  No other game that I know of or have ever played can touch this game in depth and stuff to do.  But it's important to remember that when you're playing you're making progress.  Nothing in the game comes fast or easy but if you put the time in and dedication you will get far.  Take your time to get to the end game stuff.  The great thing is there is so much to do at higher levels you will be hard pressed to not find at least 1 you like.

Most importantly, have fun.  Dont feel like you have to hurry. I cant express that enough.  It's not a race and there is some great stuff along the way to see and soak in.  Some of my mostfun times were learning at the noob levels.  I still laugh thinking of me and my ex running towards the huge Dem Crag thinking it was a town.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• MysticshamanMysticshaman Member Posts: 72

thanks!

now the only issue is the play online thing wants a reg code.. but the only thing i have found is that i have to pay for one... how is that a free trial?

• drogtordrogtor Member Posts: 81

i got my trial for free (eu), didnt even require CC info.

check this link for the trial

Hope it helps

Played: Earth'n'Beyond-WoW-EvE-EQ2-LoTRo-PotBS-CoV-Vanguard-FFXI-DDO-L2

Waiting: JGE - Aion - SW:TOR - Agency
  • ChainspellChainspell Member Posts: 55

oh trust me most of the most loyal FFXI players were very innocent players that weren't hardcore.

But because the game starts easy and gradually introduces you to the many complexities of the game, it's not as hardcore as when you hear people talk about 'endgame'.

• TeganxTeganx Member Posts: 401

Honestly youll be fine. When you are in game press the - button on the num pad which brings up your menu. Press the right arrow key to go to the second menu and go to config then to misc 2. Change keyboard from full to compact. Now you can use asdw to move and arrow keys for camera. Its super easy. The menus are as easy as pressing - and using arrow keys to choose what you want. Within 20 minutes youll be a pro. OR you can just use a controller which is even smoother because the game was orignially made for a console. Welcome!

playing: darkfall
    waiting: earthrise

• MysticshamanMysticshaman Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Teganx

Honestly youll be fine. When you are in game press the - button on the num pad which brings up your menu. Press the right arrow key to go to the second menu and go to config then to misc 2. Change keyboard from full to compact. Now you can use asdw to move and arrow keys for camera. Its super easy. The menus are as easy as pressing - and using arrow keys to choose what you want. Within 20 minutes youll be a pro. OR you can just use a controller which is even smoother because the game was orignially made for a console. Welcome!

ok so i gather there is no mouse movement?  Unfortunate... oh well i will try and remap my config tomorrow as i try the auto control scheme and it made me motion sick..so we'll see if i even get off the ground with this game.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

ok so i gather there is no mouse movement?  Unfortunate... oh well i will try and remap my config tomorrow as i try the auto control scheme and it made me motion sick..so we'll see if i even get off the ground with this game.

There is a mouse cursor if you attempt to use the mouse, and you can use it to select things on-screen but considering the slow nature of progress and console style UI its archaic and doesn't flow well.

At least I've tried to see how to set the game up with a mouse in the past and I couldn't get it to play right...you still have to use the keyboard a lot to open menus, and your macros. Just learn the keyboard method and you'll find the controls are well done!

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

The only hardcore part of the game is you trying to beat RMT...

Getting achievements for it is hardcore.... played 1 and half year on 1 account and gotten 85 Points ONLY...

ffxi win the award for xbox 360 most hardcored Achievement achieving.

none

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by wrongfeifong

The only hardcore part of the game is you trying to beat RMT...
    Getting achievements for it is hardcore.... played 1 and half year on 1 account and gotten 85 Points ONLY...
    ffxi win the award for xbox 360 most hardcored Achievement achieving.

Black Mage Lv. 75: 30 points

Ninja Lv. 75: 30 points

Puppetmaster Lv. 75: 30 points

Red Mage Lv. 75: 30 points

Summoner Lv. 75: 30 points

Thief Lv. 75: 30 points

White Mage Lv. 75: 30 points

Bastokan Rank 10: 30 points

San d'Orian Rank 10: 30 points

Windurstian Rank 10: 30 points

Rise of the Zilart Complete: 40 points

Chains of Promathia Complete: 40 points

Breaker of the Chains: 30 points

Aht Urhgan Missions: 40 points

Dynamis - Xarcabard Interloper: 30 points

Temenos Liberator: 20 points

Extra Job: 5 points

Support Job: 5 points

Pure White Feather: 5 points

Ballista License: 5 points

Imperial Army I.D. Tag: 5 points

Official Soul Reflector: 5 Points

Guild Membership: 5 points

Boarding Permit: 5 points

Chocobo License: 5 points

VCS Registration Card: 5 points

Chocobo Whistle: 5 points

Airship Pass for Kazham: 5 points

Airship Pass: 5 points

Artifact Quests: 5 points

Destined Fellow: 5 points (maybe)

Horizon Breaker: 5 points

Summit Breaker: 5 points

Sky Breaker: 5 points

Cloud Breaker: 5 points

Star Breaker: 5 points

And wiki says there are 4 more that are unknown atm hard to tell since all of them are secret. So I have 595 (maybe 600) not to mention I might have one of those unknown ones and not realize it since I'm at work.