Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leveling question

crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Ok gonna resub, its been years, literally.. Anyway's my question is I keep reading that classic servers are best and to just level in the battlegrounds.  So I guess from early on you just go to battlegrounds and thats how you level? no need for much questing and stuff outside the battle grounds?  Any basic advice on what a complete newb should do would be great.  Just trying what I need to do to get into some pvp action quickly.

thanks guys.

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Apparently now when you start out, you are thrown into some "training area" that wasn't there when I played.  It gives you pretty good armor and weapons that will last you for a few levels.  Once you leave the area go to a channeler and ask him to teleport you to a Battleground.  It will automatically pick the one appropriate to your level.  If it doesn't give you that option port to a major city and do it from there.  Killing people will yeild more experience then monsters, but sometimes you'll come upon a level range where people just don't like the particular BG for whatever reason then you might have to resort to killing monsters but still do it in the BG because again you'll get more exp then if you were in the regular spots.  And in case some poor sap happens to stumble upon you, you can go ahead and mangle him and get a nice chunk of exp as well as realm points further along in the higher up BG's.  Taking the keep in the middle will also grant you tons of exp unless you already control it.  This will take more then 1 person so if you happen to find some friendlies around group up and kill the keep lord.

When the armor/weapon you have becomes green to you leave the bg's for a while and go to any of the many dungeons strewn throughout the world.  Find one that's right for your level and go in.  Once you enter one of them open your map and you'll see 2 other doors inside, go in there it's an instance.  The main part of the dungeon is not instanced so you might see other people in there but that's unlikely now.  Once inside the "instance" part kill the mobs in there.  They will drop Aurulite.  It's a kind of crystal (I guess you can call it that) that you can use as currency in the "catacombs" cities.  I can't remember their names right now but you can find out in the game.  Get enough and go down there and trade it in for armor, weapons, jewelry and what not.  It's going to be pretty good.  Not the best but up there.  Do this every few levels and keep the items orange con to you if possible.  You'll have to visit the merchants every 5 levels I think.  Once you get to about 40ish and perhaps have some gold to your name you can venture into the housing area and look through the market explorer and see if you can find some good stuff.  I think by then you should know some of the inns and outs of the game.

Simply just PvP your way to the top.  Once there farm up some gold and and buy some player made armor and have it spellcrafted to suit your needs.  Do the quests your trainer sends you on because eventually they'll open up to epic quests that will give you a full suit of good armor at around 46 that will take you all the way to 50.  Hope that helps.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ninjajucerninjajucer Member Posts: 219

You can actually level your toon up to 5-7 and then goto the Demons Breach (the only dungeon on tutorial level) and then port right to the first Battleground, Lion's Den. The mobs there are pretty nice and easy, not to mention all the BGs currently provide a 200% bonus to exp, which is why everyone just goes there to level.

Around 20 or so you might want to check out Darkness Falls and gather the lowest level seals which can net you some nice lvl 30 armor and weapons, compared to catacombs stuff its a coin flip imo, but it does offer a change of scenery.

Currently the relic distribution on classic is 4 for alb and 2 for mid, so roll one of those realms for the bonus. When you hit 35-39, the battleground will be Molvik. Molvik is a tad different than other BGs, for one thing its always populated with lots of players. It has monsters to kill, but you will probably be encountering other players more than you will see mobs. You will see spam about it and the New Frontier battles non stop. The large population in Molvik is also because a lot of people have used the /xpoff command to just stay there at level 39 and never level up again. Its quite a popular destination and unless your equipment is top notch, it will be hard to compete there, although not impossible.

The only other popular BG is Thidranki (20-24), its the first with a moat and bridges surrounding the CK, again, it has a lot of players, but not many really stay there long. The other BGs are for the most part dead with the exception of Killaloe (15-19) which is the first time you'll be able to net realm points. All the rest are quite dead and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone to really fight there. Most people tend to try to stick it out in Killaloe until the low 20s, do the main quest line and any other aurulite farming and then hop right back to the BGs.

Of course, there are some really nice storylines in SI and the catacombs to experience, although the populations there are quite dead. Even the Labrynth is a ghost town except for the few that go in to farm mobs.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

So if I read this correctly.. Its been about 3 years since I last stepped into DAoC and when I last left, Task Dungeons from the Taskmasters were the best way to level your character from 1 to 45..

Me and 2 other friends started rolling Mids and started to do Task Dungeons like we did back in 2006. The XP is still great in them instanced dungeons unless your telling me Battlegrounds is the better way to gain faster xp?

Sorry tto repeat myself, but I will say it again, Is battlegrounds the best way of leveling (PvP and NPC Mobs in that particular BG) than doing the Task Dungeons or XP?