Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the Shop Ruin the Game?

RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

in many free to play games the cash Shop can ruin the Game for players who work hard but don't want to spend money....

in the end (max level) does the cash shop give real advantages to those who have the money to spend...because if i does im not going to play...

now if it just stuff like increase exp gain by 100% or something like that..thats fine im talking about like weapons and such that make you better just because you have the money to spend

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

If the item mall doesn't give big advantages at the high levels yet, then it will soon.  Any game based around a "free to play"/item mall payment plan has to do so in order to get people to pay.  The only questions are how big of advantages it provides and how much you have to pay to be competitive. 

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

So far there isn't anything overpowered in teh item shop.  They have mounts which let you travel faster and some stuff for your home.  I think they have some crafting things as well but the item shop doesn't ruin the game.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I havent seen anything powerfull in the cash shop. 

Anyway, without the cash shop, this game couldnt be free to download and free to play. Its either that or paying for game/sub.

Start worrying when a MMO with paid subs starts adding a cash shop :p

• The only advantage the CS gives people is using the equipment upgrade items.  The ones from the CS have a better chance of success than the ones you buy from the NPC vender with game gold.  Theoretically the latter can give you the same max upgrade (+6) that the CS version can.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Sixpax

The only advantage the CS gives people is using the equipment upgrade items.  The ones from the CS have a better chance of success than the ones you buy from the NPC vender with game gold.  Theoretically the latter can give you the same max upgrade (+6) that the CS version can.

The ONLY advantage?? That's bs.

Xp potions, removing xp debts, larger inventory/bank, preventing others to pvp-loot some of your best stuff, etc. Those aren't advantages??

• SoliTearSoliTear Member Posts: 46

there are 3 areas that people exploit, either a. playing more hours, b. having a guild that farms the  c. use the shop to get some items.  The shop isn't the "game breaker" many claim.  it is also the PvP crowd that complain.  Also, the PvP crowd is mixed on the PvP experience in RoM anyway.

• Originally posted by Netspook

The only advantage the CS gives people is using the equipment upgrade items.  The ones from the CS have a better chance of success than the ones you buy from the NPC vender with game gold.  Theoretically the latter can give you the same max upgrade (+6) that the CS version can.

Xp potions, removing xp debts, larger inventory/bank, preventing others to pvp-loot some of your best stuff, etc. Those aren't advantages??

When I said "only advantage", I was referring to combat advantages, which was the context of the OP if you didn't read it.

Originally posted by Netspook

When I said "only advantage", I was referring to combat advantages, which was the context of the OP if you didn't read it.

Please learn HOW to reply, you're obviously a little clueless:

If you're replying to something very specific, then QUOTE what you're replying to. The post of yours which I quoted, as it stands, is a GENERAL COMMENT, nothing more.

• natsuki888natsuki888 Member Posts: 11

Damn, vast amounts of free time does not entitle people to a free gaming experience.

More importantly, viewing the game as a place you work hard and then suggesting that effort should translate into free entertainment for yourself is rather appalling.

You do not need a life, you need a clue and a job.

Please learn HOW to reply, you're obviously a little clueless:
    If you're replying to something very specific, then QUOTE what you're replying to. The post of yours which I quoted, as it stands, is a GENERAL COMMENT, nothing more.

Don't be so naive. I didn't realize I had to post for the reading impaired here. It's PAINFULLY obvious from my post that I was responding to the topic of the thread. I shouldn't have to spell it out unless you're dense or just skimming, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was the latter.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by someforumguy

I havent seen anything powerfull in the cash shop. 
    Anyway, without the cash shop, this game couldnt be free to download and free to play. Its either that or paying for game/sub.
    Start worrying when a MMO with paid subs starts adding a cash shop :p

EQ, EQ2, DC Universe.....monthly fees AND item malls / cash shops.  Thanks Sony!    >:(

I've read SW:TOR might have item malls.

Originally posted by needalife214

in the end (max level) does the cash shop give real advantages to those who have the money to spend...because if i does im not going to play...

After last week's patch, CS (cash shop) users have huge advantages, so the balance Frogster promised between paying and non-paying players hardly exists anymore.

A quote from a mentor on the EU forum:

"We all know a CS user would massive-own a non CS user with a full pimped gear. "

If you want the details, then you can read the full post here:

http://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=40228

Originally posted by needalife214

After last week's patch, CS (cash shop) users have huge advantages, so the balance Frogster promised between paying and non-paying players hardly exists anymore.

A quote from a mentor on the EU forum:

"We all know a CS user would massive-own a non CS user with a full pimped gear. "

If you want the details, then you can read the full post here:

http://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=40228

Actually the last patch didn't have anything to do with this. It's been that way. He is exaggerating a bit in his post: "As everyone know, using the NPC jewels will MAX get you to +2, while the CS ones can fairly easy get you to +6. Massive PvP imbalance factor." I have seen players with +3 items using the NPC jewels, and there have been reports of someone hitting +4. If you read the tooltip on the jewels, it indicates you can achieve +6, but the problem is the players aren't willing to invest that much game gold to try it (and I don't blame them because they could spend millions and walk away empty handed). Also, getting +6 using the CS jewels is not as easy as he makes it sound. You could very well end up spending a large chunk of real cash doing so because they also have a good chance of failure.

Personally, I wish they would do away with the jewels and concentrate solely on the transmuter. Put better fusion stones on the CS than the NPC sells. That way everyone gets the same number of stats per item but the CS people will get slightly higher stats. It would be an advantage, but not a massive one.