Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easily the best F2P MMO I've ever played...

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Just to let you know that this game is not that great if you like pvp because it does not have it.  It has mvp(money vs player) and that is outright lame.

If you doubt me just go read the boards, they have over loaded with complaints about how players buy their way to success in pvp.

So yeah a decent pve game with laughable mvp.

• AmanautorAmanautor Member Posts: 55

This thread has sparked my interest. Downloading RoM as we speak. I hope it's not one of those f2p asian grinders again!

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Just to let you know that this game is not that great if you like pvp because it does not have it.  It has mvp(money vs player) and that is outright lame.
    If you doubt me just go read the boards, they have over loaded with complaints about how players buy their way to success in pvp.
    So yeah a decent pve game with laughable mvp.

I don't PvP anyway so...

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

I agree with OP, beta-tested the game from day 1, very decent F2P, richer than WoW in some aspects (more functionalities and complexity in some areas), funny mobs, dual classes, definitely worth a try.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I thought RoM was OK for a free game but I just couldn't play it for very long......Overall the game just felt like a "been there done that" experience and that nothing really felt new about it.......

Same for me, too.  I deleted it after playing it for a few hours.  Ok, but... meh.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I just finished a 4 hour run with RoM (level 8) and here is my take on it:

1. Quests are your typical kill___wolves, bears, etc... but I don't mind it.

2. Gathering is pretty cool. I am doing mining, herb gathering, and woodcutting.

3. Crafting is going to be really good I think. I am a Tailor, Cook, Blacksmith, and Armorsmith. I hear you lose some professions after so long but haven't confirmed it yet.

4. Armor/weapons are pretty cool looking

5. I only died once and it was because I found a rare monster and hit it and aggroed about 15 wolves.

6. Adding runes to gear is nice. Some armor/weapons have rune slots and some don't. Rune drops have been plentiful for me.

7. Housing is awesome. It decorates kind of like eq2. I am not understanding the maintenance costs yet. It appears that you must buy crystals from the shop to pay for maintenance (Energy) although I haven't researched it yet.

8. Maps and interface all together is user friendly.

9. Movement is bad at first until you get used to it. I liken it to GW I guess.

10. It appears to me that they took the best aspects from other MMO's and tried to give it to us in a f2p. It is definitely worth trying out. I won't tell you it is the best, but I really do like it.

11. You get a mount as soon as you log in. I think it is temporary though. I don't know because I haven't needed mine yet.

My only major gripe is that it takes forever to download and update!!!!

• gordunkgordunk Member CommonPosts: 114

I'm downloading it right now, it looks very interesting, but I wish it didn't take so long to download.

Still, if there are a lot of Instances i'll be happy, since that made WoW worthwhile when I hit 70 pre-wrath.

The house system is an interesting feature, I dunno if I'll use it all that much, but w/e, it's a nice addition

I like the dual class system, reminds me of the good old days in FFXI, but it seems that players either love it or hate it.

I'll play a PvP server probably for realism, but I dunno if i'll actually PvP that much.....I don't know about the earlier comment on MvP, because I haven't heard anything about that.

• galliard1981galliard1981 Member Posts: 256

i will gladly bump this, although i am playing it a bit more than OP

I will disagree with OP with 2 issues: graphics is average, not good. WoW like. Characters have better graphics, but enviroment is much wow/war alike.

Gameplay is not wow alike. I cant right now compare to other games, for me its pretty unique, with open pvp, reputation system, ranking, housing and server vs server pvp

Playing: Rohan
    Played (from best to worst): Shadowbane, Guild Wars, Shayia, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Runes of Magic, Rappelz, Archlord, Knight online, King of Kings, Kal online, Last chaos

• avediasavedias Member Posts: 118

kind of disappointed this thread got thrown into the runes of magic forum...my point in making this was to turn people onto the game. oh well, hopefully it still does and it seems like many people are giving it a shot.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

yeah the quality and depth to this really is at an equal with lot of pay to play games . i m not sure i would say its on a par with warcraft at present but this more than any other free to play game has the potential to be a huge success . the servers i ve played on have been extremly busy and very friendly . this is the perfect second mmo to play on the side of the one your currently playing . the early quests are a bit of a grind but no more so than the early quests on warcraft .  i ll be interested to see how this pans out as i level higher .

• Daystar38Daystar38 Member Posts: 10

I have played ROM now for a week and a half.

I'm very much a believer in game "spirit" as opposed to just "mechanics",I have played dungeons and dragons table top since first edition onward,so when MMO's started happening, my perspective was always coming from an attempt to "recapture" that sense of wonder and escapism diving into a fantasy world and engaging in adventure with a character..

Most players these days seem to be "born" into an MMO community as far as their RPGing is concerned, and you have two types- those who come for the RPG escape,and those who are "Gamers" seeking a sportman like challenge to do PvP etc.

And there are some who fall in the middle,and do both.

Out of the starting gate, ROM impressed the hell out of me, because quite frankly in all the Mmo's I have tried (short list-Pirates of burning sea, AoC,EQ2,WoW,SWG,Tabula rasa,CoH/CoV,Matrix online,Warhammer,LOTRO),I have never had an avatar that by the end of day one, LOOKED as cool

As my now Knight/Warrior does in ROM.

Riding a Warhorse at low levels, having duel-classes to switch to and fro—a nice starting house that makes the EQ2 one look like a homeless person's

Cardboard box..

Oh Yes.

As for the Item shop..

It serves this purpose IMO..

Vanity.

Agree or disagree, players are VAIN..more than you may think.

I know a former guildie in LotrO who would not even TRY Potbs after going through character creation, because she did not like the way the avatar customising was so limited..if she did not look as she wished, the game had ZERO appeal.

Some friends of mine will hit "randomise"on names, appearance and just click "next". But I fall into the category of "I want my avatar to look cool". And Rom features a rather ingenius option that furthur magnifies this..

We have all had cool looking gear, but then that next better sword or armor set looks "crappier" and we settle because well..it's stats are to much better to ignore. (how many of you had cool boots in AoC only to have to wear a stupid pair of frikkin SLIPPERS to get better shoes later?) well, in Rom you have the option to "strip" stats and transmute them to the old armor/weapon and remain looking the same but be advanced in gear..within limit..still..

Little details become noticeably appreciated the longer I play.

I will definetly keep up with ROM and I look forward to seeing what they come up with next.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by Daystar38

I have played ROM now for a week and a half.

I'm very much a believer in game "spirit" as opposed to just "mechanics",I have played dungeons and dragons table top since first edition onward,so when MMO's started happening, my perspective was always coming from an attempt to "recapture" that sense of wonder and escapism diving into a fantasy world and engaging in adventure with a character..
    Most players these days seem to be "born" into an MMO community as far as their RPGing is concerned, and you have two types- those who come for the RPG escape,and those who are "Gamers" seeking a sportman like challenge to do PvP etc.

And there are some who fall in the middle,and do both.

Out of the starting gate, ROM impressed the hell out of me, because quite frankly in all the Mmo's I have tried (short list-Pirates of burning sea, AoC,EQ2,WoW,SWG,Tabula rasa,CoH/CoV,Matrix online,Warhammer,LOTRO),I have never had an avatar that by the end of day one, LOOKED as cool

As my now Knight/Warrior does in ROM.
    Riding a Warhorse at low levels, having duel-classes to switch to and fro—a nice starting house that makes the EQ2 one look like a homeless person's

Cardboard box..
    Oh Yes.
    As for the Item shop..
    It serves this purpose IMO..
    Vanity.
    Agree or disagree, players are VAIN..more than you may think.

I know a former guildie in LotrO who would not even TRY Potbs after going through character creation, because she did not like the way the avatar customising was so limited..if she did not look as she wished, the game had ZERO appeal.
    Some friends of mine will hit "randomise"on names, appearance and just click "next". But I fall into the category of "I want my avatar to look cool". And Rom features a rather ingenius option that furthur magnifies this..
    We have all had cool looking gear, but then that next better sword or armor set looks "crappier" and we settle because well..it's stats are to much better to ignore. (how many of you had cool boots in AoC only to have to wear a stupid pair of frikkin SLIPPERS to get better shoes later?) well, in Rom you have the option to "strip" stats and transmute them to the old armor/weapon and remain looking the same but be advanced in gear..within limit..still..
    Little details become noticeably appreciated the longer I play.
    I will definetly keep up with ROM and I look forward to seeing what they come up with next.

I think you nailed it pretty dang good. Why did I spend half the amount of diamonds I paid on my warhorse to change its appearance? Because I made it look damn cool! When I get to 50 and have the gear I want, I will spend more money and color it the way I want to make my toon look the way I want it to. I think they did a pretty dang nice job on that and other "subscription" based games could really benefit from examining how they do it in ROM. You actually can have individuality in your looks and be unique. Its not to say that others can't copy you, I been running around for a week now and I was the only one on my server with a warhorse with purple armor. I have seen at least 3 others change thiers to something similar.

Currently the only thing I dont like about my toon is the fact that most of the gear for cloth wearers seem to be designed around robes. As a priest, I dont want to look like ever other mage out there. I can't wait to get higher up and figure out a way to get myself out of robes and make it look cool!

Yeah i definetly do feel as though i'm unique...when i log on it feels like i am saying "look..it's me!"

• KatovaKatova Member UncommonPosts: 184

Thanks i'm downloading now.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

While RoM is an OK game i thought it was too much like WoW and really lost interest fairly quick....... I liked Atlantica better because it was a nice change from all the WoW clones we have been getting the past couple years........

Originally posted by Theocritus

While RoM is an OK game i thought it was too much like WoW and really lost interest fairly quick....... I liked Atlantica better because it was a nice change from all the WoW clones we have been getting the past couple years........

Your Opinion is Fair, but i disagree that it is a WoW clone. i mean really..what fantasy game ISN'T a wow clone now?

Any Genre is going to get to the point where it becomes a Inverted and hard to be original,subject,after time.

how similar is Lord of the rings as a film, to Gladiator? they both have men in armor and swords,and shields...

maybe thats a bit extreme. my point is, sure, "some" maybe even "many" aspects of RoM will remind you of WoW..so what?

i see this game as more a hybrid "cocktail" of the best of many Fantasy MMo's but with a few dashes of detailed spice (low level mounts, a big house with a Hot-ass gratuitous T&A french maid,making everyone start as human and no "other" factions so pvp becomes a "guild war")

now, my theory is...who cares if its a wow clone? but wait--its NOT. a CLONE is an exact copy..if you were to take to court something for a copyright violation, the court uses a "points of similarity" system to determine if it is a violation.

is the magazine FHM,MAXIM,and Playboy, all the same thing? NO! FHM and Maxim may be very similar in terms of hot ass celebrity women scantily posing..THAT is about it.

the articles and style within are vastly different. Playboy has nudity. these are 3 similar but different, entities in a competitive market.

WoW is vastly different than Warhammer, warhammer is vastly different than ALL the mmo's because CRAFTING means absolutely NOTHING and i do not care who says otherwise,at the end of the day crafting is about as useless as trying to ask the enemy not to attack you in RvR realllly nicely.

(the potions and dyes are about the only value and even thats THIN in warhammer).

sure,i can understand ones perception of seeing the games as the same, but i respectfully disagree.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Daystar,

It's obvious that you know very little about the common terms related to MMOs. The words sometimes have a somewhat different meaning than usual. For example, a "clone" isn't an exact copy.

RoM is (imo) most certainly a WoW clone. A lot of stuff is shamelessly stolen, and not just "inspired" as some claims. For example, the AH window. Same with a few quests, like those pages you gather in RoM (forgot quest name), which clearly is Green Hills of Stranglethorn all over again.

Btw, I'm fully aware that WoW/Blizzard neither invented nor introduced everything you find in modern MMOs, so don't bother with that reply.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by Netspook

Daystar,
    It's obvious that you know very little about the common terms related to MMOs. The words sometimes have a somewhat different meaning than usual. For example, a "clone" isn't an exact copy.
    RoM is (imo) most certainly a WoW clone. A lot of stuff is shamelessly stolen, and not just "inspired" as some claims. For example, the AH window. Same with a few quests, like those pages you gather in RoM (forgot quest name), which clearly is Green Hills of Stranglethorn all over again.
    Btw, I'm fully aware that WoW/Blizzard neither invented nor introduced everything you find in modern MMOs, so don't bother with that reply.

Come on Netspook. You cant make a statement like that and then turn around and say dont bother. Every MMO is a clone of every other MMO with the exception of the first one being meridian 59. Those pages are no more from wow then wows pages are from eq1 and so on and so on. Yet everyone seems to want to push that this is just a wow clone and its not. Sure it has influences from wow, just as wow took influences from other games and so on and so on... It is a shame that everyone seems to want to base what they see and figure it had to come from wow. I mean look at the what? 12 million subscribers they got? I cant give numbers but I bet for a very large portion of them, that is their first mmo so they want to base everyone from it. I been playing mmo's so long that all of them look the same to me in one way or another. You have to determine if this clone of the original mmorpg game is better than the last or if it has the features in it that you want and go from there. Obviously this itteration of an mmo is not of your liking but I see no reason to bash the game.

• PuffyjayPuffyjay Member Posts: 3

I play Runes of Magic. It is by far the best F2P out there. I have played them all..all of them... I like this one the best for a few reasons:

1. You have allot of quests to do. I did not run out of quests that gave good gold and exp until about 29 to 31. Even when you don't have quest the 10 daily quest help allot with lvling.

2. The game play overall is smooth and the game is not super buggy movement . The combat system is just like your typical WOW mmo. The World is a good size there is 2 ways to meet up at the higher lvl places. Housing is good too.

3. The secondary class system is really cool . I am a 36 rogue / 32 scout right now and I love it. Its fun because if you keep them close on lvls If you cant do a quest on one char you can switch and do it on the other.

4. The Pk'ing . I know everyone hates ppl that pk, But when you do get sick of lvling and feel like making all the 14 year old cry. Turn on your pk and go kill someone players. They drop some good loots  :) ( I made 100k today from pk'ing)...

5. All around the players that play this game are good. There are a few that are PK crazy lvl 50's that just sit in town and kill lvl 20+ all day.( but other 50 will come help kill them if you ask :) )..

What I don't like is that you have to use real money to get mounts and other items for upgrading gear. I mean you can get other players to trade you items for gold ( But thats a other story)..

Overall. I really like this game allot its fun keeps me busy and its free :) . I got allot of my old WOW guild mates to come and play with me so I invite you as well. Just make sure to come on the PVP server :).

- Jask0

• BorutBorut Member Posts: 18

yea RoM are very good F2P MMORPG 

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

Maybe, but it's too immature and anime like for my taste.

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

Daystar,

You seriously expect me to not laugh at you, Elitist Pig? if i did know every term as much as you Elitist basement dwelling webcam relationship punks like you do, i'm that much better off. so guess what? i am responding,i am "bothering" so go right ahead, and "try"and be a MMO snob, i will dismiss and laugh at you ever single time. EVERY time.

Bring it.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Daystar38

Daystar,

You seriously expect me to not laugh at you, Elitist Pig? if i did know every term as much as you Elitist basement dwelling webcam relationship punks like you do, i'm that much better off. so guess what? i am responding,i am "bothering" so go right ahead, and "try"and be a MMO snob, i will dismiss and laugh at you ever single time. EVERY time.

Bring it.

We disagree, and all you can come up with, is "elitist pig". You're not even capable of making decent insults. I'm actually feeling sorry for you.

No, there is a "disagreement" and there is "you obviously no nothing about mmo terms,don't bother answering blah blah" remarks.

a disagreement doesn't involve "dismissing" someones point of view, it is respectfully disagreeing and pointing out why,  i have ZERO respect for people who make shallow dismissive remarks,that is why "elitist" and "snob" fit you perfect, it IS a an accurate depiction of your portrayal as a poster, so,you know,don't bother replying to this..blah blah blah.

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

There is nothing wrong with cloning say the AH window. You better spend your time doing something more creative than reinventing the wheel. RoM does seemless zoning right, it has responsive combat etc., those are the similiarities that matter (and that we actually speak about them shows how in reality WoW was good for its time when even in its state many years ago is still a challenge for games of today).

The game is a bit small though, about size of WoW expansion. Quests run dry and get grindy at about 40 - major issue because the game is quest grind with mobs giving low exp and no gold so you have nothing to do but your 10 daily quests. The new features like gear transmuting and dual classing are clunky (the above mentioned AH window is useless for transmuted gear btw, where they could not copy they have issues),