Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marv Wolfman joins DCUO writing team and an interview

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I missed this announcement from 2 weeks ago

news.bigdownload.com/2009/01/30/writer-marv-wolfman-joins-dc-universe-online-team/

Wolfman's job will be to expand and add onto the storylines and plots that have been created for the game by fellow comic book writer Geoff Jones.

Wolfman has written comics for DC, Marvel and other publishers for over 30 years. He's best known for his work on The New Teen Titans in the early 1980s, creating the vampire slayer Blade in Marvel's Tomb of Dracula (Blade would be the subject of three feature films and a short lived TV series) and scripting perhaps the best ever "cross-over" comic book mini-series ever made, Crisis on Infinite Earths, in 1985 (both with artist George Perez). He is currently writing a new DC Comics series, Vigilante.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

interview w. Marv Wolfman               (goto link for Full interview)

www.allakhazam.com/story.html

Togikagi : One of the interesting things I thought you just touched on was with City of Heroes, you said you didn't know why your character was doing what you were doing. That's your job with DCUO, so-

Marv Wolfman : That's specifically my job.

Togikagi : Exactly, so you've seen this work, and in other games, you've seen it not work. Without going into detail, obviously because you can't, how are you going to make it work?

Marv Wolfman : Oh so I don't know how it begins, because that stuff has you writing missions, you don't know where the beginning is; the exact moment that you open. But from everything I can tell from the overview, from everything else, you'll pretty much know what you're purpose is, and you will understand how you fit into the equation.

And I never felt that with a lot of others, I felt, "Oh go attack that spider," or "Oh go get that formula from the Old Wizard," or "There's a gang on so-and-so street, go stop them."

And I loved the games! As I said, I played City of Heroes for months, but eventually as a writer, and I have little time, which also hurts, at least when you're playing an MMO. I don't have the patience to wait, while someone who's a lot younger than me would. I just run out because I have all these other games I want to play, and I only have limited time.

But everything that we're talking about, in the case that you will be part of the storyline, and you will understand your basic concepts; you won't (know) the depth of the story, you won't know where it's going, but you know that something big is happening that you're part of.

That immediately tells you you're not just going out to kill a spider. You're not just doing this.

You know that something is happening, and of course you're familiar with the heroes and the villains, you know that something is being planned. You won't find out what the mission is maybe on day one, but on the next day you will. But you understand your position, and I think that's a major difference for at least the games I've played.

I haven't played every MMO, and I certainly haven't played them for long, but, for me, that would have made the difference, and I would have stayed on some others if I understood that.