Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic Announces No Ship, Starbase Interiors

Comments

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Originally posted by jircris

If you actualy read the damned thing you would have seen this.  "CZ: At launch, we are probably only going to have ship interiors available during mission instances, however we hope to add the ability to players to freely walk around their ship and host gatherings in an expansion pack."

I did read the whole thing several times but until they add the part in red they can shove their game where the sun don't shine!

Bren

It sounds like they're doing what they did with City of Heroes.  They released a fairly solid core game that was heavily instanced and combat focused.  Later (sixth update) they added super hero bases.

A pro for this would be fairly solid gameplay at release, with a lot of devotion to core systems.

A con for this was that the game lacked depth and immersion at release and probably lost people and reputation forever as a result.

If they can include starship interiors without making the game a buggy mess at release, I think it would be worth waiting for.

If, however, they have a fixed release date, I'd say polish the core systems and then add the interiors as soon as possible; again as soon as they can be released in a highly polished state. 

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Scalebane

So how long are you gonna scream and cry about it OP? you've been at it for awhile on the Official forums.
    Anyways i can wait, no big deal for me, just wanna play a Star Trek mmo game...they never said it would be a Star Trek Simulator.

Î dont know why a person who has an opinion and fights for his ideas must be ridiculed like that.

Isnt Star Trek so much more than just space fighting? I mean, if you like a mere space fighting game thats fine, but why does Cryptic misuse the Star Trek IP for such a limited and narrow MMO concept, when there are already good space fighting MMOs out there and more to come? Its just a waste of the good and rich Trek IP imo.

Of the two things I don't like about some forum posts, one is this:

-Telling people not to share their thoughts and feelings about a game.  That's what forums are for. 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by demented669

I am a fan of star trek but not a hard core fan so i can understan why hardcore fans are freaking out about how this game is beeing made but come on did anyone think this was going to be just like the TV shows ?
    no mmo will ever be a vertual world anymore they are all made to be casual games, so to make a game like the hardcore fans want would be to time conusming for "newer" gamers of today so sorry guys you are never going to be happy with what they put out, only way you will ever get the game you really want is make it yourself

We expected the game to be "something" like the TV shows.  In this regard, they simply fail.  Star Trek was rarely about ship on ship battle, and even more rarely about multiple ship on multiple ship battles.  They are turning an IP that represents science, politics and exploration into a space shooter for morons.  Worse, they are taking an IP that is about PEOPLE and turning it into a game about ships. We have every right to expect more, and we will speak with our money and by spreading the word about what a joke this game is.

The problem with new games has nothing to do with "newer gamers of today", whatever that it supposed to mean. It has to do with greedy, lazy game developers creating games for the masses of mouth breathing idiots out there who have an attention span of 37 seconds.  We can thank WoW for bringing those people into the mix.  Now our games will be forever dumbed down and mass marketed.

I also love how you cavalierly suggest we all just go make our own games.  Yeah, genius proposal there.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• kingfelixkingfelix Member UncommonPosts: 214

Well, this kinda kills my interest in this game. It just doesn't seem like it would be a very immersive Star Trek experience without being able to interact with other players on a starship. If I want to play as a ship I'll just go play Eve.

• ColaCola Member Posts: 402

This game will be one of the biggest failures in MMO history.

No Ship Interiors?

No Crew Interaction?

Absolutely NO CHANCE for RP!

EVERYTHING INSTANCED?

Thats not Star Trek, not at all.

I wouldnt purchase this game with your money.

I wouldnt even install it if you gave it to me for free with a years sub.

This will not be a mmorpg.

All sign point to this game being a online console space shooter.

Complete trash.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

I have to agree, no ship interiors and no starbase interiors at _launch_ is a no buy for me.. they shouldn't release an expansion pack with the ability to do what 90% of us who followed the game wanted to do from day one.  That should be a priority and the instances should be an expansion

• KartuhnKartuhn Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by Cola

This game will be one of the biggest failures in MMO history.
    No Ship Interiors?
    No Crew Interaction?
    Absolutely NO CHANCE for RP!
    EVERYTHING INSTANCED?
    Thats not Star Trek, not at all.
    I wouldnt purchase this game with your money.
    I wouldnt even install it if you gave it to me for free with a years sub.
    This will not be a mmorpg.
    All sign point to this game being a online console space shooter.
    Complete trash.

I grew up watching Star Trek from day one but there's no way I fit into the "Trekkie" mold. I loved the series but not to such an extent that I'd consider dressing up or learning to speak Klingon. Not that there's anything *cough* wrong with that. I tend to agree completely with this post as far as the game is concerned.

To not include the interiors is equivalent to blasphemy... my opinion ofc. The ship and pulsing phazers, photon torpedoes and chasing a myriad of enemies across space was only the tiniest part of the series. The drama that made the series so spectacular took place with the people of the series, not the ships. If they plan to have planetside battles or encounters I suppose that will be some solace but if all we get to do is run around space going "pew, pew" with NC1701(letter here) I'll pass. Thanks. And NO I don't follow the development of the game because I have zero faith that anyone will ever capture, even remotely, the series in an MMO let alone a space shooter that uses the Star Trek name.

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Well, I guess Eve will have Ambulation by the time STO is released, so it will one up them in that respect. How anyone could have NOT expected an STO IP to not heavily instanced is beyond me... I mean we have various planets- instance (because you are never going to go from planet surface to space to another surface seamlessly), and even in space, when was there any fleet sized combat except in exceptional situations? All just one ship on one ship, or one on a couple... Therefore I think there is one thing everyone REALLY is getting at...

Without being able to walk around on our own ships with other players, how are we EVER supposed to role play those legendary love triangles of species who's most common trait is the same number of appendages and incredible ability to know English?

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

I popped over to the STO forums and man the fans are twisting and turning to defend this decision.  I just scratch my head in wonder.

Cryptic has a golden opportunity to stand out in space MMOs.  It is more work but you can make something special. To make another Earth and beyond in a Star Trek skin is dissapointing. The only difference is you can do away missions. Which is fine and Cryptic are good at instances.

Of course having interiors with no interaction from the player is wasteful. You don't create interiors as mobile housing for players. At least make them opportunities for story arcs. A quest can't send you to your engineering station to reverse engineer some space debris? You can't have a holodeck on your ship which can play a random solo instance? Your ship systems run perfect all the time wherever you go? The game design can't offer missions that can happen on the ship? On a starbase??

oh well

• dirtyklingondirtyklingon Member Posts: 158

i'm glad there will e no interiors on launch. i hope they polish the combat so that grouping will be awesome. i'd rather have a group of friends each in our own ship then try to coordinate some silly crew thing through text or walk through the empty halls of my own ship anyway. i want to be out in the galaxy exploring new worlds, not getting lost as i try to figure out which way engineering is from the med bay.

ofc i wouldn;'t mind social areas on starbases for gathering together for some good ol lol rp as long as there was a reason to do so beyond that... hell i wouldn't even mind beaming over some friends for some dinner and romulan ale but the lack thereof doesn't phase my interest in this game at all. i'm looking forward to epic fleet on fleet battles and i'll be socializing with people over 'subspace' radio(zone chat).

KERPLAH!

• phlcarlphlcarl Member Posts: 37

lol, there is no reason to have interiors. if that makes a break a game for you then thats rediculous. you will spend what? 5% of your time looking at the interior? no one wants to be part of a crew,  they want their own ship. and if interiors are only a social aspect and not a core feature, then having it in an expansion is fine.

and you will have crew interaction. you have to manage, gear up, and select skills for like 3 or 4 other of your crew members.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Without interiors , I might as well reinstall Starfleet Command and hook back up to Gamespy.

• sanedorsanedor Member Posts: 485

People saying this does not matter are silly, it's all about freedom, if we give this up then whats next, heck why bother with skins and colors of shipsm why not just make every game like this

1 make toon, nothing special log in

2 pick up stick

3 beat whoever is close to death, or you die

4 make new toon start again

there easy,  you don't need all those silly armors or new weapon that is just flash and silly. even better you get 1 wood stick that grows with you < brown> no need for other colors that is silly

mmo's are about freedom, don't knock others for whet they like in freedom, your is just as silly..

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

We aren't giving up anything yet, just looks like they can't put it in at launch and i'd rather them take the time to do it right then force it out at launch because people are desperate for it.

I swear people act like these companies can just throw tons of money and resources at these games, its time some of you get a little reality about things and realize they just can't add every single thing people want at launch.

I will try it out, i have patience, i figure they should be able to add it in by the first xpac, since they can see how badly people want it, if it isn't in by then i'll decide if the game is fun enough or not to keep playing. 

remember people they are making a game not a simulator...although a star trek sim would own heh.

Oh and no i'm not trying to convince anyone to stay, go and find something else and be happy, we can't always have everything we want.

As for silencing anyone i can't do that, just annoying too see a grown person throw a tantrum this way, all over the Oboards now here, act like life is gonna end because of this lol.

(In before your throwing a tantrum too=P)

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Originally posted by Brenelael

Originally posted by jircris

If you actualy read the damned thing you would have seen this.  "CZ: At launch, we are probably only going to have ship interiors available during mission instances, however we hope to add the ability to players to freely walk around their ship and host gatherings in an expansion pack."

I did read the whole thing several times but until they add the part in red they can shove their game where the sun don't shine!

Bren

It sounds like they're doing what they did with City of Heroes.  They released a fairly solid core game that was heavily instanced and combat focused.  Later (sixth update) they added super hero bases.

A pro for this would be fairly solid gameplay at release, with a lot of devotion to core systems.

A con for this was that the game lacked depth and immersion at release and probably lost people and reputation forever as a result.

If they can include starship interiors without making the game a buggy mess at release, I think it would be worth waiting for.

If, however, they have a fixed release date, I'd say polish the core systems and then add the interiors as soon as possible; again as soon as they can be released in a highly polished state. 

Well if they have interiors already programmed for instanced missions it would only take about 10 lines of code to have them open all of the time. Why they aren't doing this when it was clear from the uproar that ensued when PE made this same announcement that it is an important selling point to a lot of people I haven't a clue. Seems like a pretty stupid decision to me. Like I said before when they add them I'll consider playing but until then I consider STO to be DOA.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

We aren't giving up anything yet, just looks like they can't put it in at launch and i'd rather them take the time to do it right then force it out at launch because people are desperate for it.
    I swear people act like these companies can just throw tons of money and resources at these games, its time some of you get a little reality about things and realize they just can't add every single thing people want at launch.
    I will try it out, i have patience, i figure they should be able to add it in by the first xpac, since they can see how badly people want it, if it isn't in by then i'll decide if the game is fun enough or not to keep playing. 
    remember people they are making a game not a simulator...although a star trek sim would own heh.
    Oh and no i'm not trying to convince anyone to stay, go and find something else and be happy, we can't always have everything we want.

As for silencing anyone i can't do that, just annoying too see a grown person throw a tantrum this way, all over the Oboards now here, act like life is gonna end because of this lol.

Really? Did someone throw a tantrum here, because I must have missed it.  All I saw were posts from people who were told form the beginning by the developers (both of them) that there would be ship ambulation.  We have every right to be concerned about the direction of the game.  What's funny is, you act like your point of view is the only valid one.  "Oh, since I think it's ok that ambulation isn't in the game at launch, the rest of you are just whiners".   Nice logic there.  When they remove a feature you are looking forward to, and they probably will, I hope you keep your mouth shut about it.

You see, those of us who have been gaming for any considerable length of time know that the game devs read these forums to keep an eye on what the community is saying about the games they are working on.  They would be fools not to.  This means it is up to individual gamers to offer feedback and ideas to the devs that may help shape the direction of these games.  Some dev houses are open to this, and some are not.  Either way, I plan to continue speaking my mind about them, and if I hurt any fanboys out there in the process, I consider that a bonus.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Really? Did someone throw a tantrum here, because I must have missed it.  All I saw were posts from people who were told form the beginning by the developers (both of them) that there would be ship ambulation.  We have every right to be concerned about the direction of the game.  What's funny is, you act like your point of view is the only valid one.  "Oh, since I think it's ok that ambulation isn't in the game at launch, the rest of you are just whiners".   Nice logic there.  When they remove a feature you are looking forward to, and they probably will, I hope you keep your mouth shut about it.

You see, those of us who have been gaming for any considerable length of time know that the game devs read these forums to keep an eye on what the community is saying about the games they are working on.  They would be fools not to.  This means it is up to individual gamers to offer feedback and ideas to the devs that may help shape the direction of these games.  Some dev houses are open to this, and some are not.  Either way, I plan to continue speaking my mind about them, and if I hurt any fanboys out there in the process, I consider that a bonus.

Yeah you missed it because the OP threw a tantrum on the official boards, thats okay though if you don't understand.

I'll have to go look it up because i don't actually remembering them promising Ship interiors from the get go but i might have missed it.

But keep on bringing up your issues, nothing wrong with that, as long as you do it the right way and you know what i mean, throwing a tantrum, screaming about it and so on isn't the way to discuss it and i doubt devs are gonna pay any attention to people acting like spoiled children.

besides i never called people whiners just the OP and he has a history of it, but way to be over sensitive about it =)

Its funny how violent a person you are huh? i want to hurt fanboys..lol funny stuff.

Oh and the only thing that has bugged me is the instancing but i said my piece on it on their Oboards  about it, but i'm not gonna keep on harping about it, i'll try it out and see if i like it, if not no biggie, i got bent out of shape over a game a long time ago then realized how stupid that was, so it really doesn't bother me anymore.

They said interiors would come in later, i can wait and give them the benefit of the doubt, its really not that big of a deal to me, if it is for you fine have fun stressing.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

Heres a good interview that was recent from Hailing frequencies, talks about interiors and such for those interested.

hailingfrequency.co.uk/boards/index.php

- Lewis Thomas

• momodigmomodig Member UncommonPosts: 555

The game is doomed because of this -- If anyone has ever watch any of the Star Trek, movies, or shows -- a good amount of time is base inside the ships.  Game won't be true to the movies shows because of this.

So why can't the game be the same?

Big mistake if this rumor is true.

Originally posted by momodig

The game is doomed because of this -- If anyone has ever watch any of the Star Trek, movies, or shows -- a good amount of time is base inside the ships.  Game won't be true to the movies shows because of this.

I agree 100%. As I said before, this doesn't sound like it will be a very immersive Star Trek experience IMO. Considering the other promising sci-fi MMOs on the horizon, the devs really should start listening more to their potential player base if they don't want this game to be added to the list of massive multiplayer online failures that have happened in the last couple years because devs decided they were going to do things their way whether the players like it or not.

I really don't get why ship interiors are so hard to make? They did it in SWG, and yes it was in x-pac, but at this point I really don't like the idea of having to shell out more money just to play the game I wanted to play in the first place. Without being able to interact with other plays on a ship, along with the fact that most of the game will be instanced away missions with your crew of NPCs,  this sounds to me like it will be more like a single-player game than an MMO.

This is all one man's opinion. If you think this game will be awesome, by all means enjoy it to your hearts content, but don't be too surprised if this game pulls a Tabula Rasa.

Its funny how violent a person you are huh? i want to hurt fanboys..lol funny stuff.

Oh yes, because not caring if I hurt the feelings of fanboys is the same as *violence*.  What are you, 12 years old?

Originally posted by kingfelix

I agree 100%. As I said before, this doesn't sound like it will be a very immersive Star Trek experience IMO. Considering the other promising sci-fi MMOs on the horizon, the devs really should start listening more to their potential player base if they don't want this game to be added to the list of massive multiplayer online failures that have happened in the last couple years because devs decided they were going to do things their way whether the players like it or not.

I really don't get why ship interiors are so hard to make? They did it in SWG, and yes it was in x-pac, but at this point I really don't like the idea of having to shell out more money just to play the game I wanted to play in the first place. Without being able to interact with other plays on a ship, along with the fact that most of the game will be instanced away missions with your crew of NPCs,  this sounds to me like it will be more like a single-player game than an MMO.

This is all one man's opinion. If you think this game will be awesome, by all means enjoy it to your hearts content, but don't be too surprised if this game pulls a Tabula Rasa.

These companies are going to waste hundreds of millions of dollars before some d-nozzle executive realizes why their games keep tanking.  By then they will just abandon the genre completely and blame gamers for not being interested in their shoddy, shallow games. They can't blame piracy on this one, so they will have to pull something else out of their.....

This is exactly what has been happening in the movie industry over the past several years.  Movie houses spew out sequel after sequel, but can't figure out why box office sales suck. Not one of them wlil touch an original movie idea for fear they may have to actually earn their paychecks by making good movies.

Oh, and the music industry has the same disease.  It all boils down to corporate greed. Maybe once the economy tanks we can get back to game developing as an art form instead of a "McGame" factory.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

If this is the case then I will probably wait to play. Hopefully interiors will be added...other wise this is nothing more than Starfleet Battles on a computer.

Originally posted by kingfelix

These companies are going to waste hundreds of millions of dollars before some d-nozzle executive realizes why their games keep tanking.  By then they will just abandon the genre completely and blame gamers for not being interested in their shoddy, shallow games. They can't blame piracy on this one, so they will have to pull something else out of their.....

This is exactly what has been happening in the movie industry over the past several years.  Movie houses spew out sequel after sequel, but can't figure out why box office sales suck. Not one of them wlil touch an original movie idea for fear they may have to actually earn their paychecks by making good movies.

Oh, and the music industry has the same disease.  It all boils down to corporate greed. Maybe once the economy tanks we can get back to game developing as an art form instead of a "McGame" factory.

Hey man, you're preaching to the choir here, lol. Too bad all those greedy executives don't have enough sense to realize they would make more money if they actually produced something innovative and new instead of regurgitating the same crap over and over.

I totally agree about the movie and music industries as well. At least with music these days we can go online and seek out what we want intead of being force-fed crappy pop stars that rely on studio editting and lip-syncing rather than actually having a shred of talent. Dinosaurs will die.

Oh yes, because not caring if I hurt the feelings of fanboys is the same as *violence*.  What are you, 12 years old?

I figured i would take what you say out of context since your doing the same with what i said...so much anger in you its sad really, if you ever need help with your issues i know some people that can help you.

Anyways i was talking to the OP about his crying which if you knew anything about him he has been banned multiple times on the oboards and others because of his over dramatic ramblings you just happened to stick your nose in the wrong convo and thought i was talking of everyone, its okay though i understand some people are slow and stuff.

Besides people expressed how this messed up the game for them i expressed my opinion on it, don't try and act like yours is the only valid Opinion, either way i don't care if you play or not, doesn't bother me in the least heh.

Seriously though you should look for help with the anger you keep built up inside you.

- Lewis Thomas