Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anything like PRE-cu/CU SWG?

Title says it all. Didn't feel like looking through all the threads for my answer

thx in adv.

Comments

• sanedorsanedor Member Posts: 485

Nope nothing like that, more like WoW i hear, very colorful and easy.. but it's stawars and will play it

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Originally posted by sanedor

Nope nothing like that, more like WoW i hear, very colorful and easy.. but it's stawars and will play it

lol I mastered BH twice in the time it took me to level any one toon I have in EQ2. WoW is pretty much the same way. lol Easy level in the current crop of MMOs, lmao whatever. Remember spin groups during the CU? Did anyone truly play the game the way it was intended? NO. Sounds to me like SWG vets don't like being forced to read and play the game content, instant uber is what it must be all about. And before you make some wise ass comment, I was there, I did the BS Jedi XP grind back in the day, they took my uberness xD, but I got over it.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• sanedorsanedor Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by tillamook

lol I mastered BH twice in the time it took me to level any one toon I have in EQ2. WoW is pretty much the same way. lol Easy level in the current crop of MMOs, lmao whatever. Remember spin groups during the CU? Did anyone truly play the game the way it was intended? NO. Sounds to me like SWG vets don't like being forced to read and play the game content, instant uber is what it must be all about. And before you make some wise ass comment, I was there, I did the BS Jedi XP grind back in the day, they took my uberness xD, but I got over it.

HMM, not sure if we were agreeing or not, wasn't talking about leveling just play and style.. here.. not going to make a wise comment .. really not sure what you are mad about if you are

sorry, generic copy/paste response I took from another thread. Really we don't know what it's goona be like, but it might just be fun even if it isn't like every other MMO out there, cause it won't be.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• HellsMajestyHellsMajesty Member UncommonPosts: 204

from what ive read its not like pre cu swg or like nge swg its a different game. But it does look like its attempting to appeal to the WoW crowd more and there is a lot of concern over whether it will be a glowstick fest or not.

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

as far as i know the only thing that it will have in common with pre nge swg will be that its starwars.

what i heared the game will be class/level based, with a lot story line things. there won't be a complex crafting system and no real player cities, not much freedom in building your own char from different skills. (not sure if all infos i got are still true, especially on crafting and player cities but i still think these are no big priority)

in short i expect a wow like game with more story orientation than wow has (probably lotro would be better comparison).

might still be a good game so i am interested in how it turns out, but it definitely will not offer the freedom of pre nge swg. (but i never expected that from Bioware they were allways good at telling stories in their games and having the game formed by stories limits freedom for what influence players have on the gameworld)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by sanedor Nope nothing like that, more like WoW i hear, very colorful and easy.. but it's stawars and will play it

I have to say half of that is false, being a vet from June 2003, I hated the spin group idea from the CU but it was difficult to solo those missions due to 2~ second attack times and it took forever to do ONE mission. Before the CU we always did the Corvette, faction bases and missions outside our city when people wanted to grind, in the CU everyone flocked to Dant OP, then in the NGE 80% of our guild (220+ member) vanished and people started to solo alot.

And to answer the OP, since it's Bioware, no nothing like SWG but expect it to be more like KOTOR and Mass Effect combined, but their experience at an MMO is untested so time will tell. I don't mind sotrylines, that's one thing I loved about the KOTOR and Mass Effect games.

• MasterCrysisMasterCrysis Member Posts: 94

Nope nothing like that, more like WoW i hear

enlighten me. where did you hear that the end game of TOR is a straight hardcore gear grind.

• zmannzmann Member Posts: 4

well, guess i was hoping it'd be like pre-cu/CU swg. Nothing like that game has been around sence WoW. Like most of you im sure, I hope they don't make the same mistake that SoE did with the NGE allowing everyone to be jedi with an easy click of the button thats whats ruined the game along with the failed attempt at a "WoW wannabe" game mechanics system lo.

The crafting system, lvl'ing system( spin groups were the best!) freedom to do whatever- whenever with your toon. Imo the best part bout SWG was that it didnt base the game all around raiding, if you wanted something you went and farmed for components for hours hell even days lol just to get that one piece of armor or a weapon. anyways thx for the replies.

• courtsdadcourtsdad Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by zmann

well, guess i was hoping it'd be like pre-cu/CU swg. Nothing like that game has been around sence WoW. Like most of you im sure, I hope they don't make the same mistake that SoE did with the NGE allowing everyone to be jedi with an easy click of the button thats whats ruined the game along with the failed attempt at a "WoW wannabe" game mechanics system lo.
    The crafting system, lvl'ing system( spin groups were the best!) freedom to do whatever- whenever with your toon. Imo the best part bout SWG was that it didnt base the game all around raiding, if you wanted something you went and farmed for components for hours hell even days lol just to get that one piece of armor or a weapon. anyways thx for the replies.

I think the basic idea of SWG where you "lived" in and created the world, whether it be as a hero a pilot or a farmer ina sandbox environment are gone for some time. It will take someone willing to break the mold but there doesnt seem to be anyone out there. For those that dont realise thats what made the fans that stuck with SWG so hardcore about it. It was a world they created and they had it taken away more or less.

Anyway hopefully this game will be well done and bring players some good times.

• JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90

Don't think they'll be anything to relate SWTOR to SWG pre CU.

Space i'm sure will be in it, but I think it'll be limited at least the start.

No player housing, but perhaps Guild owned structures or outposts.

No crafting like SWG, all the resource finding, selling, building.  Hopefully crafting components will be al ittle bit more customizable then current MMOs, but nothing like SWG's complex system.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by MasterCrysis

Nope nothing like that, more like WoW i hear

enlighten me. where did you hear that the end game of TOR is a straight hardcore gear grind.

I haven't seen anything saying endgame was hardcore raiding gear grind, but there is a quote somewhere ( I believe it was massively.com but not sure ) that said the game is loot based.  It is 99% for sure a class and level based system, so in that regard it is a standard modern MMO.

Other than that, we don't have a lot of details about how open world the game will be.  We don't know about housing, space combat, crafting, or pretty much anything else.

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643

No one in this forum knows much about what this game will be like.  BioWare hasn't released that info yet.  Further inquiry is pointless.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• Lord_DaemusLord_Daemus SWG CorrespondentMember Posts: 28

I dont think this game will be like any game out there, but have a nice balance of systems we've come to love from many many games. I don't think it'll be like pre-cu/pre-NGE SWG. It'll bring its own little brand of awesome to the table.

I would like it to rely heavily on KOTORs leveling system however, due to the ability to customize how your character performs in combat to your own liking, regardless of class. A melee commando? sure! A sith marauder with obscene wisdom and intelligence, sure! That was part of the KOTOR magic. Make your character how YOU want it, for better or worse.

Sure, people are saying "This is only a solo game!" No its not. So far, they've just revealed that you CAN solo if you want to. I am positive that there will be plenty of group content.

Ex-SWG Correspondent
    Currently playing: FFXI, SWTOR
    Awaiting: FFXIV 2.0

Originally posted by sookster54

I have to say half of that is false, being a vet from June 2003, I hated the spin group idea from the CU but it was difficult to solo those missions due to 2~ second attack times and it took forever to do ONE mission. Before the CU we always did the Corvette, faction bases and missions outside our city when people wanted to grind, in the CU everyone flocked to Dant OP, then in the NGE 80% of our guild (220+ member) vanished and people started to solo alot.

And to answer the OP, since it's Bioware, no nothing like SWG but expect it to be more like KOTOR and Mass Effect combined, but their experience at an MMO is untested so time will tell. I don't mind sotrylines, that's one thing I loved about the KOTOR and Mass Effect games.

My only point is pre-cu leveling was easier than most MMOs these days, if you chose to do it fast. You can't really say that for games like EQ2, or the NGE where it's mostly quest based XP gain. People bitched about this when the NGE hit “you only get XP from quests now”.

So for people to say TOR will be easy like WoW, or other games is not true since "end game" was easier to reach pre-cu then it is for any game currently on the market. If anything, working thru quest after quest that may take numerous steps to finish is much harder than pounding on lair after lair, or spamming area attacks down in the Warren for hours. Now BH investigation was slow, but once again, slicing could get you thru fast.

And as for BioWare being untested LOL that’s BS. You do know who Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton are don’t you? Both created the SWG you loved so much, and there are plenty of other great devs working on TOR.

Joining the Austin team as lead designer is James Ohlen, BioWare's Creative Director, whose previous credits include lead or co-lead design roles on Star Wars(R): Knights of the Old Republic(TM), Neverwinter Nights(TM), Baldur's Gate(TM) and Baldur's Gate II(TM). Also leading the BWA team are MMO veterans Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton. Richard Vogel brings 15 years of experience to BioWare Austin, previously serving as VP of Product Development for Sony Online Entertainment's Austin studio, as well as launching Ultima Online(TM) as a senior producer at Origin. Gordon Walton recently served as VP, studio manager and executive producer at Sony Online Entertainment as well as VP and Executive Producer at Electronic Arts.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

Who cares! As long as they have princess laya in that bikini

Uhh... what?

Originally posted by Auzy

Who cares! As long as they have princess laya in that bikini

Nope, sorry, not Star Warsy enough

SWG Bloodfin vet

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

Its set in the old republic timeframe, Princess Leia wasn't born yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing where BioWare takes this game. I liked how they did lvling in KOTOR, some ability to customise your character. Some more meat on those bones, toss in some form of crafting (nothing overly game dominating, I personally prefer crafted items to be useful, not required) and thats a pretty good start to any mmorpg.

I joined the official forums when they first came up and from what I have read there people seem to forget that BioWare had/has absolutly nothing to do with SOE or SWG. Nor does SOE or the SWG team have any input on this game. 2 different periods of lore, 2 different deals with lucasarts.

• MercscytheMercscythe Member UncommonPosts: 134

My only point is pre-cu leveling was easier than most MMOs these days, if you chose to do it fast. You can't really say that for games like EQ2, or the NGE where it's mostly quest based XP gain. People bitched about this when the NGE hit “you only get XP from quests now”.

So for people to say TOR will be easy like WoW, or other games is not true since "end game" was easier to reach pre-cu then it is for any game currently on the market. If anything, working thru quest after quest that may take numerous steps to finish is much harder than pounding on lair after lair, or spamming area attacks down in the Warren for hours. Now BH investigation was slow, but once again, slicing could get you thru fast.

And as for BioWare being untested LOL that’s BS. You do know who Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton are don’t you? Both created the SWG you loved so much, and there are plenty of other great devs working on TOR.

Joining the Austin team as lead designer is James Ohlen, BioWare's Creative Director, whose previous credits include lead or co-lead design roles on Star Wars(R): Knights of the Old Republic(TM), Neverwinter Nights(TM), Baldur's Gate(TM) and Baldur's Gate II(TM). Also leading the BWA team are MMO veterans Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton. Richard Vogel brings 15 years of experience to BioWare Austin, previously serving as VP of Product Development for Sony Online Entertainment's Austin studio, as well as launching Ultima Online(TM) as a senior producer at Origin. Gordon Walton recently served as VP, studio manager and executive producer at Sony Online Entertainment as well as VP and Executive Producer at Electronic Arts.

What is the difference, really? What's the difference between grinding on some mobs and just grinding through quests that have you kill mobs and occasionally do something else? People are going to click through these quests as fast as they can just like they did in WoW and quest based MMOs. You might enjoy the story, other users here might as well, but I suspect if this draws the mainstream crowd, much of that story is going to be missed by the masses. So if you ask me (which you didn't, but hey), grinding is grinding, no matter what it is you happen to be relentlessly killing/completing.

• boxfetishboxfetish Member Posts: 76

In other words, expect anyone and everyone playing to be Das Uber Jedi and the game to be nothing but a lame ass saber battleground .  Really, this game is going to suck.  The KOTOR franchise is not going to do well in the MMORPG format.

• SkorcherSkorcher Member UncommonPosts: 22

Bioware references the game as an MMOG, which leads me to believe it will be more like "KOTOR online" with multi player interaction. It seems like they are leaning towards a single player story line, with co-op play (I hope I'm mistaken). I really enjoyed KOTOR and Mass Effect, but I'm not looking for an online version of these games. I hope TOR is an open world MMO style of game with a heavy story line, and no rails. I guess time will tell, but I'm not going to get all worked up over this game until we have more info.

That said... I am looking forward to its release, and will try it out. I have been doing the MMO bounce lately, and cross my fingers that this game will capture my attention for more than a couple months time.

(crosses fingers)

• brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202

why should i buy a singleplayer game with only a few online features? i still want the classic mmorpg concept, not a casual grinder with easy gameplay and a general learningcurve for 12 year olds. hey, developers: where is the challenge? where is the fun?