Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF suggestions on where to buy new comp

Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137

I am looking for suggestions on where to buy a new computer or even suggestions for specific computers. I am planning on using my txes to purchase a new machine as the one I currently use is pretty outdated. It's about 5 years old and doesn't even meet the minimum specs for WoW.

I'd like to keep it under $1200 and I don't need my graphics maxed out or a fancy case. As long as the game doesn't lag and freeze up and I will be content. I don't want to build one, but buy outright.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time.

Comments

• TarokoTaroko Member UncommonPosts: 84

For $1,200 you can get a computer that can run any current MMO or game on high I believe...

I would build your own rig if you can though, you can save a lot of money and get the computer you want...

http://www.newegg.com/     Has about the cheapest parts you can find.. if you don't want to or don't know how to build your own computer, you should be able to find good computers on there too.

There is also...     http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/  

• Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137

Thanks for the tip. I will check those sites out.

I know I could save money by building one instead. But every person I have known in the past that has built their own computer, or had a friend build one for them, has had nothing but problems. I tried to pu t anew card in this computer and it just kept shutting down. So I am going to wimp out and just buy one already put together.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by Harpy_Lady

Thanks for the tip. I will check those sites out.
    I know I could save money by building one instead. But every person I have known in the past that has built their own computer, or had a friend build one for them, has had nothing but problems. I tried to pu t anew card in this computer and it just kept shutting down. So I am going to wimp out and just buy one already put together.

Go to a reputable independent dealer that builds them to order, they can show you the options and go through them with you while trying to also work to your budget.  I would only buy a branded PC as a very last resort.  If you can get someone who knows about PC's to go along with you to ensure that you get the best deal.

And don't forget to haggle over the price, in the current economic climate it's a buyers market :)

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

You are better off building your own.  It is so easy these days and you'll get the biggest bang for your buck.   Just go to like newegg.com and find the parts you need and slap it together.  It really isn't all that hard.

Get a case, powersupply, mobo, hd, dvd r&w, good cpu and some memory, sound card and vid card.    You are there.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Newegg and Tigersdirect are the 2 best places to build and buy computers.  You might also want to go with Circuit City in a couple weeks because they are going out of business and their prices will really drop in a couple weeks.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am going to spend this week looking over and comparing options. I don't have anyone to go with me to a dealer, so think online will be my best option.

I looked over some of the systems that you could have built. Just one more quick question, is there a benefit to having 2 video cards over 1? Say 2 GeForce 9800 512mb cards vs 1g card of the same?

Guess I can contact the website I end up buying from. thanks again for the replies.

• ByzantineByzantine Member Posts: 75

I agree Newegg.com

checkout the reviews before though!

GL and happy gamming

• TykeroTykero Member Posts: 349
    Originally posted by Harpy_Lady

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am going to spend this week looking over and comparing options. I don't have anyone to go with me to a dealer, so think online will be my best option.
    I looked over some of the systems that you could have built. Just one more quick question, is there a benefit to having 2 video cards over 1? Say 2 GeForce 9800 512mb cards vs 1g card of the same?
    Guess I can contact the website I end up buying from. thanks again for the replies.

Multi-GPU setups are generally for more advanced or enthusiast builds. For a build that's bound to a budget, you're better off just buying a single card and making improvements elsewhere.

-

Thank you for answering my question. I really appreciate it.

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

build your own..

If you dont know how, learn on the internet. Its honestly not that difficult.  Saves you good amountf of money, and gives you a bang for your buck.  with 1000, I'd be able to build a sweet ass comp. I built mine for 650 (used some older parts, such as disc drives, processor) but with 1k, you can manage to do wonders.

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

• kb2tvlkb2tvl Member Posts: 42

I would suggest that you look at cyberpower:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

They have a rebate if you order today and the gamer infinity looks to be in your price range.  You could change the vid card to get closer to your 1200 number.