Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic finally discuss' details of the upcoming Trek game.

2»

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

You make a very good point. I rarely do guilds because the leaders usually seem to think that players have no life outside of the game and start power tripping by making demands ie:free gear from their members,bothering you in the middle of a quest to stop and help them,meetings at different times of the week, etc.etc. It usually ends with me telling them where they can stuff their orders and schedules. Bad enough I had to serve in a real military that had leaders who power tripped. I'll be damned if I pay $15 a month to relive that experience.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by cylon8

if you want a socail mmo in trek clothing make one in secondlife.  honestly the gaming market has changed...people no longer have hours to devote to online game playing and frankly, the days of big guild making are fallin by the side too.  I hate games with huge gaps in xp...noobs being constantly snuffed by " experts".  trek was more about exploring, about ship combat  and just the general air of a sci fi atmosphere.  cryptic is taking a risk even doing a sci fi mmo, how many of them have failed in the last 5 yrs?  Personally, I'm holding my breath till I either get a beta key or trial access to the beta game.  I was one of those people who trashed star trek legacy till I got a better computer, now  I love it.  Only time will tell.

Sorry to bring you down a notch but when you get rid of the social aspects of the MMO it ceases to be a MMO. What you end up with is a Massively Multi-player Single Player Game which is exactly what STO is shaping up to be. With a heavily instanced mission system and limited places for players to interact in a social environment you are going to have a game where everyone is running around doing their own thing and no one interacts at all. I can play Legacy, Starfleet Command or Elite Force and get that with no monthly fee. This game is going to be a very boring game for MMO vets and they are going to be the backbone that will make or break this game. Without in-game mechanics to support and encourage player socialization this game will fail as no one is going to pay a monthly fee to play a single player experience. Cryptic is really shooting themselves in the foot here.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Brenelael

if you want a socail mmo in trek clothing make one in secondlife.  honestly the gaming market has changed...people no longer have hours to devote to online game playing and frankly, the days of big guild making are fallin by the side too.  I hate games with huge gaps in xp...noobs being constantly snuffed by " experts".  trek was more about exploring, about ship combat  and just the general air of a sci fi atmosphere.  cryptic is taking a risk even doing a sci fi mmo, how many of them have failed in the last 5 yrs?  Personally, I'm holding my breath till I either get a beta key or trial access to the beta game.  I was one of those people who trashed star trek legacy till I got a better computer, now  I love it.  Only time will tell.

Sorry to bring you down a notch but when you get rid of the social aspects of the MMO it ceases to be a MMO. What you end up with is a Massively Multi-player Single Player Game which is exactly what STO is shaping up to be. With a heavily instanced mission system and limited places for players to interact in a social environment you are going to have a game where everyone is running around doing their own thing and no one interacts at all. I can play Legacy, Starfleet Command or Elite Force and get that with no monthly fee. This game is going to be a very boring game for MMO vets and they are going to be the backbone that will make or break this game. Without in-game mechanics to support and encourage player socialization this game will fail as no one is going to pay a monthly fee to play a single player experience. Cryptic is really shooting themselves in the foot here.

Bren

How are social aspects being limited? They said that if you want to group up you can. On away missions your 5 man NPC party is replaced my players if you are grouped up. You have your chat channels and you can chat all day with your buddies if you want.Again, how is the multiplayer aspect being taken away? If you want to socialize then do it, just don't force me to talk to you if I don't want to.

MMORPG stands for massive multiplayer online role playing game. That means a game where many people are playing online. That's it.MMORPG does not stand for forced grouping, or forced socializing in order to get ahead, which is what MMO vets tend to want in every game. That type of game doesn't succeed because it's boring to everyone except the hardcore "play all day long" players. For the rest of us who have a real life, we'd rather not waste an hour healing a wound or waiting around looking for a group. If you like grouping and socializing then join a guild and play your game the way you want.

And I hate to burst your ego, but the MMO vets who like that type of gameplay are NOT going to make or break this game.If they really did have that much power, they would have killed WOW a long time ago.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Bren

How are social aspects being limited? They said that if you want to group up you can. On away missions your 5 man NPC party is replaced my players if you are grouped up. You have your chat channels and you can chat all day with your buddies if you want.Again, how is the multiplayer aspect being taken away? If you want to socialize then do it, just don't force me to talk to you if I don't want to.

MMORPG stands for massive multiplayer online role playing game. That means a game where many people are playing online. That's it.MMORPG does not stand for forced grouping, or forced socializing in order to get ahead, which is what MMO vets tend to want in every game. That type of game doesn't succeed because it's boring to everyone except the hardcore "play all day long" players. For the rest of us who have a real life, we'd rather not waste an hour healing a wound or waiting around looking for a group. If you like grouping and socializing then join a guild and play your game the way you want.

And I hate to burst your ego, but the MMO vets who like that type of gameplay are NOT going to make or break this game.

lol, Two weeks ago I sounded just like you where STO was concerned. I was a serious fanboy and defended this game to the bitter end. Go ahead and look at my post history if you don't believe me. I sincerely hope you are right... I really do. After the last three interviews I'm not so sure about this game as you however. First off I'm no fan of forced grouping. I've been a very vocal opponent of mandatory player crews since day one. I would not object to them as optional however. I do however have a problem with an unnecessarily overly instanced game. This isolates players and takes away reasons to interact. Everyone is going to be in their own little mission instances and will not be interacting with the rest of the player world.

I also have a problem with them making you go to some special starbase or uninstanced planet to be able to walk around and interact with others. This will also severely limit player interactions. If you think players are going to interact in space with everyone zipping around in their "ships as mounts" your dreaming. Go and play EVE for a while and see how well that works out.

Yes the MMO hardcore vets will make or break this game as they are the only ones that play the same MMO for years. Most others will play a game for 3-6 months tops. It's the MMO vets that will be playing this game after they have all come and gone if they feel it's worth playing. At the rate they are cutting things out there won't be much of this game left to play by the time it releases. As I said before I do hope I'm wrong but I've followed many MMOs in development in the past and I've seen this pattern too many times before.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227

I've heard the same comments about Age of Conan. Despite its emphasis on solo play and instances, grouping does pretty well. And of course, there's always grouping with members of the guild. I don't see STO being any different. Join a fleet if you want to interact. Pay attention to the global chat channels for people needing to group.

Instances are a must in parts of this game. How many times did you see an away team from the Enterprise beam down to a planet only to find that most of the aliens were already camped by away teams from the other two dozen starships in orbit?

Originally posted by ktanner3

Bren

And I hate to burst your ego, but the MMO vets who like that type of gameplay are NOT going to make or break this game.

lol, Two weeks ago I sounded just like you where STO was concerned. I was a serious fanboy and defended this game to the bitter end. Go ahead and look at my post history if you don't believe me. I sincerely hope you are right... I really do. After the last three interviews I'm not so sure about this game as you however. First off I'm no fan of forced grouping. I've been a very vocal opponent of mandatory player crews since day one. I would not object to them as optional however. I do however have a problem with an unnecessarily overly instanced game. This isolates players and takes away reasons to interact. Everyone is going to be in their own little mission instances and will not be interacting with the rest of the player world.

I don't know about you, but when I'm in the middle of a mission I don't have time to sit around and chat. I'm too busy doing my mission. The DEVS are being true to the IP when they offer places to socially interact like Starbases. That way people who like to sit around and chat can do so. But in the middle of the mission it makes no sense.I've alway hated it when I'm doing a mission and having to wait besides 10 other people for a NPC to spawn. This kills immersion as fas I'm concerned and I'm glad that chance is being taken away.

I also have a problem with them making you go to some special starbase or uninstanced planet to be able to walk around and interact with others. This will also severely limit player interactions. If you think players are going to interact in space with everyone zipping around in their "ships as mounts" your dreaming. Go and play EVE for a while and see how well that works out.

See above. If you like socially ineracting you know where to find it. During missions I'm too busy to hail a nearby ship and say" What's up?" I don't remember any Captain in any of the series doing that either.

Yes the MMO hardcore vets will make or break this game as they are the only ones that play the same MMO for years. Most others will play a game for 3-6 months tops. It's the MMO vets that will be playing this game after they have all come and gone if they feel it's worth playing. At the rate they are cutting things out there won't be much of this game left to play by the time it releases. As I said before I do hope I'm wrong but I've followed many MMOs in development in the past and I've seen this pattern too many times before.

Everyone has their own ideas on what is worth playing. For all the knock that vets like to give WOW, it has 11 million people subscribing to it on a monthly basis. That game is the antithesis of what the vets consider a good game yet it outsells every other MMO on the market and has ever since it came out 4-5 years ago.Far as STO being like other MMOs, it is nothing like it. My best advice would be to actually go to the STO website and follow what is going on rather than the second handed info being spewed on this website.The DEVS for that game have been far more open and involved to what's going on than any MMO I have ever seen. They actually participate in threads with answers and ask questions.

• nubadaknubadak Member Posts: 150

I said it before and I will say it again.

"The concern is will this be heavily instanced like POTBS or will it be a free form world. If its has instances and they are everywere no one will play. If it is a free form world with out instances and with free form exploration it might..work. The exploration concern rises from this scenario: " i goto instance and find a planet....do missions explorer it and claim it and finish it....thenits gone." That is an instance. Vs I find a planet explorer it mission it and claim it then it is always there on a stratigic map. That is free form. Hard choice to make....once a planet is discovered how will other players explorer?.....simple a planet is always there only reveled when a player for the first time lands on it. 8)- Game mechanic solved. Good hunting bros do her right."

I dont think the original post said how many instances will be in game, but judging from the responses in this tread Its clear the majority of potential players want a balance and not a to heavily instanced game.

Hopfully the dev's will make a statment as to how much the game is instanced.

Cheers!

Nubs!