Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nothing like WoW

its quite funny to see people saying its a wow clone, or its gonna be just like wow. Or how its SWG-pre-cu.

WoW was about 1 thing. gear grinding. gear grinding and grinding more gear. PvP and raiding were mask for gear grinding. quest were mask for gear grinding. everything you did in that game was about gear grinding.

TOR already said there not gonna have raids like WoW. TOR has already stated that its entirely solo supportive, something WoW is not.

TOR, your character is the main hero in the story. in WoW, you aided the main hero in the story.

KOTOR 1 and 2, levels, skills and class's operated entirely different then in WoW's.

WoW, everything worth doing at cap level is instanced base. PvP, PvE. all instances. What did the Bioware Devs say? they wanna keep isntances's LIMITED?

there is just so much similiarty between the 2 games!!

Not

Comments

• Jerid13Jerid13 Member Posts: 465

RPG = GRINDFEST

DUH

You people all act like its some GREAT revelation that WoW makes you "grind" for all your stuff.

So you want to just start out at max level and have all the best gear and walk around for 5 minutes before you quit?

Seriously most of you should go back and play some single player RPG's and then realize that an MMO is EXACTLY THE SAME JUST WITH MORE PEOPLE.

RPG's are BY THEIR VERY NATURE Grind games.

Now I agree about the instance thing, I don't always like the idea of having multiple versions of a dungeon but honestly it works out better when you think about it.

If you HATE instances go play FFXI for a while and camp the Vulkrum Emperor and you'll realize that grinding through a dungeon to get gear is WAY Better than camping against 20 other people for one monster that has a 6 hour respawn timer.

Oh and about how in WoW you "aide" the main characters and in TOR you''ll BE the main character.  There is no way that they will make what you do have world changing effects any more than the way WoW does, it simply DOES NOT WORK for online games.

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

You seem to be jumping the gun...nobody really knows how the finished product is going to turn out. But I think that if the end game is lacking the game will flop.  =p   I'm not a WoW groupie...but it does have tons of things to do once you hit level cap.

If I was going to make a new MMORPG I would put in solid endgame raiding first as well as other things to keep people interested in the game once they hit level cap. Most these new MMO's I get bored after I hit max level because there is little to do or it's broken/buggy. Like AOC and WAR.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Noktaris

You seem to be jumping the gun...nobody really knows how the finished product is going to turn out. But I think that if the end game is lacking the game will flop.  =p   I'm not a WoW groupie...but it does have tons of things to do once you hit level cap.

If I was going to make a new MMORPG I would put in solid endgame raiding first as well as other things to keep people interested in the game once they hit level cap. Most these new MMO's I get bored after I hit max level because there is little to do or it's broken/buggy. Like AOC and WAR.

i am the exact opposite, i prefer the journey and the story over endgame.

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Jerid13

RPG = GRINDFEST
    DUH
    You people all act like its some GREAT revelation that WoW makes you "grind" for all your stuff.
    So you want to just start out at max level and have all the best gear and walk around for 5 minutes before you quit?
    Seriously most of you should go back and play some single player RPG's and then realize that an MMO is EXACTLY THE SAME JUST WITH MORE PEOPLE.

Now I agree about the instance thing, I don't always like the idea of having multiple versions of a dungeon but honestly it works out better when you think about it.
    If you HATE instances go play FFXI for a while and camp the Vulkrum Emperor and you'll realize that grinding through a dungeon to get gear is WAY Better than camping against 20 other people for one monster that has a 6 hour respawn timer.

Oh and about how in WoW you "aide" the main characters and in TOR you''ll BE the main character.  There is no way that they will make what you do have world changing effects any more than the way WoW does, it simply DOES NOT WORK for online games.

I own the Valkurm Emperor and Leaping Lizzy! I loved them when they werent Rare EX items. Other than that, they were my main cash cow!!! Ahhh, the good ol days! It was also another way for me to... RMT t(^.^t) and all done with a PS2 no hacks!!!!!  Man, I miss that game sometimes... I STRESS SOMETIMES!

Originally posted by Proximo521

RPG = GRINDFEST
    DUH

I own the Valkurm Emperor and Leaping Lizzy! I loved them when they werent Rare EX items. Other than that, they were my main cash cow!!! Ahhh, the good ol days! It was also another way for me to... RMT t(^.^t) and all done with a PS2 no hacks!!!!!  Man, I miss that game sometimes... I STRESS SOMETIMES!

Believe me I have fond memories of camping NM's but honestly after a while you kinda realize that eventually everyone will have that item so why do they make it SO BLOODY hard to get?

After playing FFXI for 4 years I totally love instances over camping sorry to say.  >,<

• TsukieUTsukieU Member Posts: 559

Why does everyone have to be the hero?  What is wrong with being a part of something greater?

I think it'd go leaps and bounds for immersion if you weren't a hero in a world of thousands of other heros.  If the quests and whatnot just involved you being another soldier.

That said...TOR is probably just going to be another in a long line of Everquest clones.  I doubt anything major will be different.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270
    Originally posted by miagisan

i am the exact opposite, i prefer the journey and the story over endgame.

I'm not saying the history,and leveling up process isn't important...It certainly is. But seriously nothing is worse then hitting max level and having nothing to do but start a new character and wait for more content to be put in the game.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Yeah, pretty much.  Puzzle Pirates pretty much worked that way, and I played that for 7 months.  Guild Wars was reasonably close to that, where you could get a new character to max level with nearly perfect gear in perhaps 10 hours of gameplay, and I played that for 19 months.  Some games do put some genuinely interesting content in, rather than only lots of grinding.  You should try one sometime.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I agree the end game needs to be more than raiding. Devs should realize a large portion of their customers might actually have jobs so they don't have the time to rai d 4 and 5 nights a week. They can have raids if they want but they really should give people other events at endgame. Whether it be large scale pvp battles or long story driven quest lines.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Yeah, pretty much.  Puzzle Pirates pretty much worked that way, and I played that for 7 months.  Guild Wars was reasonably close to that, where you could get a new character to max level with nearly perfect gear in perhaps 10 hours of gameplay, and I played that for 19 months.  Some games do put some genuinely interesting content in, rather than only lots of grinding.  You should try one sometime.

Well believe me I do find enjoyment besides just being a machochistic grinder.  Honestly a lot of the time the storyline does matter to me, but I really am an old school RPGer in the fact that I LOVE CHARACTER BUILDING!   I like starting the game as a piece of crap and winding up both building the character AND learning how to play him (the character) better.

I mean yeah sometimes its real dull to keep doing the same dungeons over and over again to try to get that one piece of gear, but refer to my comment about camping rare spawn monsters and you'll see that honestly its hard to prefer the other way.

Most people really just want to be able to jump into something and play it for an hour and get some sorta enjoyment / satisfaction out of what they just did, not all MMO's allow this, but thats why WOW is successful.

Well, from my point of view.

Originally posted by Proximo521

RPG = GRINDFEST
    DUH

Believe me I have fond memories of camping NM's but honestly after a while you kinda realize that eventually everyone will have that item so why do they make it SO BLOODY hard to get?

After playing FFXI for 4 years I totally love instances over camping sorry to say.  >,<

I played for 4 years as well, and instanced areas are nice, but it really depends on what you are instancing. I truly think that instancing RVR would be the way to go.  But it wouldnt be too bad if you had to compete for some of your items. I personally got a kick out of whoopin the RMT.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Looks like the world and character design will make the game less laggy, which is really good

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

There is no way that they will make what you do have world changing effects any more than the way WoW does, it simply DOES NOT WORK for online games.

Someone has never played EVE apparently, because what we do does in fact change the game universe quite a bit actually.  Ask the folks who destroyed BOB the other day how much influence just a few can have.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Kyleran

There is no way that they will make what you do have world changing effects any more than the way WoW does, it simply DOES NOT WORK for online games.

Someone has never played EVE apparently, because what we do does in fact change the game universe quite a bit actually.  Ask the folks who destroyed BOB the other day how much influence just a few can have.

Not to derail but . . . what exactly happened to BOB?  They have been around for as long as I can remember.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Locklain

Originally posted by Kyleran

Not to derail but . . . what exactly happened to BOB?  They have been around for as long as I can remember.

Goon made BoB go boom.....

Yup GooN basically pulled off Industrial Espionage! Heres the article.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/13/news_6104775.html

I edited it sorry.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by miagisan

Goon made BoB go boom.....

Hah!  So I see.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

RPG = GRINDFEST
    DUH

A RPG game doesn't have to be about grinding stuff. Guildwars is very popular and have little grinding in it.

Just look on the pen and paper RPGs, some are grindy like D&D while other games like White wolfs storytelling games (World of darkness) is about the story and characters, not about gear and monster grinding.

Just because Wow is focused on grinding doesn't mean every RPG game must have it, what makes something a RPG is that it evolves a story and a character. In many games the items you get are important but in some they really doesn't matter.

Still, I think TOR will have at least some grinding and probably a lot more than GW but not as much as Wow.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by TsukieU

Why does everyone have to be the hero?  What is wrong with being a part of something greater?

I think it'd go leaps and bounds for immersion if you weren't a hero in a world of thousands of other heros.  If the quests and whatnot just involved you being another soldier.

That said...TOR is probably just going to be another in a long line of Everquest clones.  I doubt anything major will be different.

Because we can't in real life. It is a cliche to say to be part of something greater. It just means that you are not special and get over it.

Games are fantasy and should let us do whatever we can't in RL.

If you want to play a waiter in a Tatoine restaurant waiting tables, be my guest. I want to be a jedi chopping down sith and crunching whatever foes the galaxy throws at me.

• MasterCrysisMasterCrysis Member Posts: 94

RPG = GRINDFEST
    RPG = Role Playing Game. Not Grindfest. if thats your explanation, then i feel sorry for you.

DUH
    DUH
    what else is it you do? plz don't tell me you wait on 19 other people every other night keeping a raiding schedule to kill the same exact NPC you've already killed 20 other times because its "fun"
    where are you getting this from? who said anything about starting at max level with the best gear? theres alot of other ways to go.
    o ya. because Kotor 1 and 2 or oblivion were all the exact same thing as WoW.
    really? so um, do tell me what exactly was I *grinding* in SWG? Oblivion? Kotor 1 and 2? Fable 2? i mean seriously. ENLIGHTEN ME.

look man. theres a difference between instancing EVERYTHING and keeping instances limited. Just because you don't Instance every little thing in the game that was of decent content like WoW did, doesn't mean people have to spawn camp the same ol NPC like that.

Oh and about how in WoW you "aide" the main characters and in TOR you''ll BE the main character. 
    yup, what about it? don't like the idea of it? then why are you here? cause thats EXACTLY what Bioware is going for.
    Tell that to Bioware. I think they may know more about making video games then you do.

overall, your post seems more like a "waaaaaah its gonna be the way i want it and don't tell me different" type post.

sorry, but i only posted the truth. its not anything like WoW thus far, and from what there saying there trying to achieve, it won't turn out like it either.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Because we can't in real life. It is a cliche to say to be part of something greater. It just means that you are not special and get over it.

If you want to play a waiter in a Tatoine restaurant waiting tables, be my guest. I want to be a jedi chopping down sith and crunching whatever foes the galaxy throws at me.

WORD! 

• MasterCrysisMasterCrysis Member Posts: 94

You seem to be jumping the gun...nobody really knows how the finished product is going to turn out.
    not even Bioware knows how the game is gonna turn out yet. but based off there idea's, its not suppose to be like WoW. that much is obvious.
    But I think that if the end game is lacking the game will flop.  =p   I'm not a WoW groupie...but it does have tons of things to do once you hit level cap.
     yes and No. WoW only has 1 thing to do once you hit level cap which is grind gear. it just has several different ways to do it. TOR on the other hand is suppose to be about the story and the Lore. so the question is, just how many different stories are there to involve yourself with. is there tools in place to create content with other players? thats the question. can your guild build a fleet of star ships and fighters and engage another guilds fleet over resources in space?
    theres alot more to do at end game, then your basic grab a big group, kill an NPC and get an item to wear rinse and repeat sequence that WoW has beaten to the ground.
    If I was going to make a new MMORPG I would put in solid endgame raiding first as well as other things to keep people interested in the game once they hit level cap.
    if thats what you like then it sounds like you may have come to the wrong place. a Dev from Bioware has already stated that TOR will not have WoW type raiding. that doesn't mean raiding won't be in place, cause lets face it, we all enjoy. WoW did raiding a very bad way. TOR may not. but besides of raiding there are many, many, many things to be placed at end game that can keep a player playing the game.
    Most these new MMO's I get bored after I hit max level because there is little to do or it's broken/buggy. Like AOC and WAR.
     alot of people miss the fact that its more important which company is making the game then what the game is about. Bioware has only ever came out with finished products. Funcom who created AoC also created Anarchy online. AO had a terrible launch, 1 of the worst ever known. are you surprised about AoC's launch? and mythic. DAOC ended up becoming a great game, but how long did it take? back then bugs were nothing bad, every mmo that ever came out back then was swimming with bugs at launch, it took DAOC a long while to hammer those bugs out as well.
    now a days, WoW is out nearly bug free with lots of ways to achieve the only thing to do in that game. so why settle for a game, that just launched, drenched in bugs with half the content missing at end game when theres a game with all the content at end game and nearly bug free?

• TsukieUTsukieU Member Posts: 559

It's much more cliche to be the hero.

I'm saying that in TOR, Jedi aren't exactly rare.  Why does every single Jedi chopping down Sith have to be "The Chosen One" or some other contrived nonsense?  It'd be much more believable and immersive, if you were just a piece of a whole.  Doing your small but not insegnificant part.  Instead of being the umpteenth Chosen One doing the same thing that thousands upon thousands of Chosen Ones did before you.

Basically...get over yourself.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

You can't be a regular person in the Star Wars Universe in real life either. Why isn't that enough to justify playing the game?

Like live in an alternate universe in an alternate time setting with mystical powers? Sounds like something you can't do in real life, but can in a game.

Then go play one of the hundreds of single player Star Wars games where you can be whatever heroic Jedi you please to be and stop trying to turn MMOs into single player games.

Its just so stupid to have a MASSIVE multiplayer online game where every single person is running around with mega powers and saving the galaxy. What happens if you die? How are you a hero if you die?

When everyone is a hero, then it makes your character, and even the movie character heroes seem less heroic.

Yeesh.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by MasterCrysis

TOR, your character is the main hero in the story. in WoW, you aided the main hero in the story.

This dynamic is great in a standalone. Its absolutely ridiculous in an MMORPG. Everyone is the One? Lets not forget the RP part of MMORPG. The game should provide me a platform to create my own character, not tell me who my character. Leave that for standalone game.

This discussion has been closed.