Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

" IRS should enforce our laws to the letter"

www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/04/daschle-gave-speech-tax-cheats/

If Tom Daschle had his way, Tom Daschle would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for failing to pay his taxes.

At least according to the old Tom Daschle, who gave an impassioned speech on the Senate floor about the scourge of tax scofflaws.

"Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter," the former Senate Majority Leader said in 1998 during a debate on a bill reforming the Internal Revenue Service.

So when does the prosecution begin? or do we have 2 standards of Justice in this country afterall?

Comments

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

R O F L M A O.

Excellent find, Sir.

An aside:  I know he was referring to "cheaters" and those that were not making mistakes on their returns, which is as different as day is from night.  It is still, nevertheless, funny considering the context. 

An aside 2:  Disappointed.  I am disappointed that Tom Daschle will not have an opportunity to serve for something as ridiculous as innocent mistakes on tax returns.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by declaredemer

R O F L M A O.

Excellent find, Sir.

An aside:  I know he was referring to "cheaters" and those that were not making mistakes on their returns, which is as different as day is from night.  It is still, nevertheless, funny considering the context. 

An aside 2:  Disappointed.  I am disappointed that Tom Daschle will not have an opportunity to serve for something as ridiculous as innocent mistakes on tax returns.

These guys are like the New England Patriots...they don't cheat, they just consistently misinterpret the rules in a way that nobody else would.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

I think the doth protest too loudly

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• AsprnBtlAsprnBtl Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by BushMonkey

www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/04/daschle-gave-speech-tax-cheats/
    If Tom Daschle had his way, Tom Daschle would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for failing to pay his taxes.
     At least according to the old Tom Daschle, who gave an impassioned speech on the Senate floor about the scourge of tax scofflaws.
    "Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter," the former Senate Majority Leader said in 1998 during a debate on a bill reforming the Internal Revenue Service.

So when does the prosecution begin? or do we have 2 standards of Justice in this country afterall?

It would be nice to see a politician prosecuted as harshly as they've demanded of others. I doubt it will happen, but we can always dream.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

LOL. How sweet it is.

Much better to just get rid of the Income tax, get rid of the IRS, bring the government down to a sensible, legitimate level, and fund the limited government we ought to have.

The income tax is extremely pernicious. It requires a government to know your most private affairs -- things that are no one's business. It requires an almost criminal enforcement agency.  It's time to dump such taxes at the federal level and at the state level.

In all honesty, tax cheats are great for the country. Any time any money is kept in the hands of some private citizen, even power lusters like Daschle, the country is better served than when the government gets its hands on it.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

If the IRS enforced tax laws to the letter, they would be forced to pay us 100% of our taxes back because they fail to follow the rules in the 16th ammendment regarding un-voluntary taxes.