Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

maybe release in 2009

2»

Comments

• TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279

Na I'm thinking 2010 at the earliest.  Most likely wont be until 2011 though to be honest.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by andmiller

Originally posted by normhl

Heck, the state most MMO's are released these days, release it tomorrow and just patch the snot out of it for the next 2 years, we are all dumb enough to play it now, we have all done it with other MMO's

Ain't that the truth.  That's the new "development cycle" for MMOs.

But this is Bioware.  If they release a flop, I will officially never be excited about an MMO in development again.  They are just too good of a studio to release anything less than a great game.

same...if this flops, i give up on all future mmorpgs, and just gonna hide in eve

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by andmiller

Originally posted by normhl

Heck, the state most MMO's are released these days, release it tomorrow and just patch the snot out of it for the next 2 years, we are all dumb enough to play it now, we have all done it with other MMO's

Ain't that the truth.  That's the new "development cycle" for MMOs.

But this is Bioware.  If they release a flop, I will officially never be excited about an MMO in development again.  They are just too good of a studio to release anything less than a great game.

Which is the reason why they waited sooo long to announce that they were actually working on it.

With AOC, it seems that they had been rumored that they were working on the project since 2003. They didnt officially announce that the game was in development till April 20, 2005. Once they did, they worked on the game for a total of 3 years before it actually went live May 20, 2008 (In the US). Even though it went live, it was completely dismal release. I will not go into detail, but in short it took them almost 6 months of real hard work to get the game where it should have been. So they should have just waited till Jan of this year for the release.  That would have been almost 5 years of development before it went live.

In WAR's case, Climax online had been rumored to been working on the game since the end of 2002. After about 2 years of development they announced that roll out costs were too high and had to scrap the game. Even though they stated they had to scrap the game... They still put money into the game until the License was sold to Mythic on May 18, 2005. The official release date of WAR was Sept 18, 2008. So this MMO took 8 years of work before it was actually released.

Now, both of the games stated above have not been successful. Bioware has had a chance to view both of these games and watch them go through the stages of development all the way to release date. Bioware is very smart and from what I gather I can see Bioware learning from the mistakes that both of these MMO's went through.

So in Biowares case, They had been rumored to been working on this game since 2004. The link is below...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/13/news_6104775.html

Since then they didnt fully announce that the game was being made till October 2008. So, they have been in development for roughly  4 years...If  Bioware has any kind of advantage here its that they have seen what has become of the 2 companies. I would rather they took their time and made sure that they did this right. But since they have purchased the Hero Engine I can only imagine that worked in their favor to shave development cost/time of creating their own engine. Now I did find this interesting.... Funcom actually used some of the Hero Engine world building tool and if you look at some of the Bioware videos and AOC's video you will notice that the World's look really good. Just a interesting fact... So I would say that they have a good idea of where there at and that the game is closer to Beta than some might think. But again its an opinion and I dont expect you to agree. But I believe they will do Beta at the end of summer and do a release in Q2 of 2010.