Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

linkrealms....finally something decent for the sandbox crowd

Comments

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441
    Originally posted by JMadisonIV

one question.
    Movement - Keyboard, or Point-and-Click?

movement is like diablo, where your character follows the mouse pointer, so its not really point and click or keyboard (more like point and hold?)

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252

Someone needs to bug the GMs to open registration. gosh.

• GorakkhGorakkh Member Posts: 694
    Originally posted by skamper

Seriously lol. I've been trying for the past 3 days and nothing >_<

• ArbadacarbaArbadacarba Member Posts: 304

The game does sound interesting, but the cash shop will keep me from playing.  I have not seen a cash shop that does not eventually prey on players' insecurities. 

-Space Cowboy online started with cash shop in mind, but never launched it. Gala-net's license to the game got suspended and sold to a different company, Yedang, by MasangSoft.  Yedang relaunched the game with a new name, Ace Online, and a cash shop with consumable exp buff items.

-Ragnarok Online, a long time P2P game came out with a cash shop with a good amount of game breaking items including 30 minute +50% exp buff items.

-Exteel always had a cash shop with a balanced mix of items.  Some items could be purchased with normal credits achieved through normal gameplay and some items purchased through credits bought with real money.  I played for several months, maintaining a 3/1 kill/death ratio, without the use of real money credits.  I finally bought some cash shop money because I felt like it, not because I was feeling underpowered, or forced into paying to do well.  Most of the items are still balanced in this manner but now they have consumable +30% exp items with different buff durations depending on price.

Mythyn Interactive's speculations conclude that when enhancements are sold in a cash shop, it creates imbalances in gameplay.  Before they assure you they will not implement items that drastically unbalance gameplay or destroy the fun of the many for the benefit of the few, they cunningly just told you the cash shop is to be a source of items such as time savers.

Time is directly related to balance in MMORPG.  Most of the time you spend in MMORPG is progressing your character whether the character is max level or not.  The purpose of the store is not to simply pour cash into your character and dominate the playing field?  Buying time savers to progress your character faster, spawn faster, travel faster, craft better items faster (whatever it is these time savers are), will let you dominate the people who don't use them.

Who knows?  Maybe the time saver they are referring to is frivilous?  I won't know because cash shops ruin it for me and I'm not even going to give them a chance anymore.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by NeverLand7

Originally posted by skamper

Seriously lol. I've been trying for the past 3 days and nothing >_<

Been trying almost a week, this game sounds perfect for me... Im itching for a skill based sandbox game like you wouldnt believe. Oh well...F5ing all night .

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Woot!  Just got in!  The site said closed until I clicked on the account registration tab.

• kharri21kharri21 Member Posts: 4

Hey everyone, Ike here.

Econ24,

Dude, look me up in game and I'll help you get your macro's setup. It's simple and there is one for almost everything. And since you didn't talk to anyone, you are going to need some help anyway getting started the right way

As far as the time savers go for the store, there was someone complaining about making bread. Now it does suck making bread but my god you should have seen it when I did it... UGH!!!   It's WAY easier now! And if you setup a couple hotkeys you can cut your time by a third at least

The time savers are tools that make items in batches of 500 (once you've mastered the skill) and they have 20 uses (so you'll get 10,000 items from 1 tool), they sell for like $2. You have to have mastered that skill for the tool to work, there are no free rides in the game. I don't mind paying it as it saves a truckload of time, doesn't affect the game at all and these guys need to make a living too.

They also just came out with a durability enhancer, it's just like fort powder in UO. It has 500 duri on it you can use on anything you want in any amount u want. There is one for staff's, weapons and armor.

Keep trying to get in people. The Devs are opening up Beta more and more these days. Best time is in the evening like 6-10pm EST. When the tutorial is complete, it will be open for everyone but they are still working on that. They really want it to be right so it's taking some time to complete. And I've seen most of it. It is way kool !!

cya in game folks

Ike

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

I got in last night, and must say it is definitely a breath of fresh air.

Reminds me of my old UO days!

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

The game looks fun. I can't wait to try it.

Lol at the guy's hating on isometric views and the one guy showing his ignorance as if only 5 people play games with isometric views when millions play them. Your opinions are not fact, get over yourself.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

Originally posted by joshe

Originally posted by Samuraisword

You guys gotta be kidding me. Top down view games, especially MMOGs, are a prehistoric design. This game looks so... so... childish.  Games nowadays at a minimum should be designed in side view even if it's low budget, geesh!

And yeah every developer says their item mall won't be selling things that actually makes a difference in aiding players, only fluff items. The last guy who said that was John Smedley. Liar.

tbh you are representing some "prehistoric design".

Plenty gamers play games with isometric camera, and will always like to play new ones.

The only new games that benefit from isometric view are strategy type games, not MMOGs. Please.

I guess you won't be buying Diablo 3 then (Not strat and a bastardised MMO at best with Battlenet)

However you do have a point that the isometric MMO's are a little outdated, but from the amount of positive posts on this game I would come to the conclusion that this one is hitting all the right buttons for a majority of the ppl and you can't argue with that.

Even alot of the 3d MMO's out there are woeful and don't deserve the subs demanded, ignoring the item mall as I'm also not a huge fan of those as they can and will cost you more than a monthly sub this game does look a cut above your normal 3d isometric MMO, the animations look fluid and have quite a large range of movement, the mount looked amazing and the emote looked quite funny with it trying to grab its rider, nice little touches in an old format.

I would definately give this game a shot even if it's to re-live a few UO memories and to see if it's offering anything new, after-all I do still enjoy playing 3d Isometric games.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Looks interesting but playing a game with a cash shop is something I just dont do.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Looks interesting but playing a game with a cash shop is something I just dont do.

Please read their FAQ before you type your opinions: 

"The store contributes more to the "sandbox" elements of the game. It is to be a source of items such as decorations, cosmetic appearance of your character, time savers, and event modules to create more versatility in your realm."

If you are freaking out over that then give me a break.

Originally posted by PatchDay

"The store contributes more to the "sandbox" elements of the game. It is to be a source of items such as decorations, cosmetic appearance of your character, time savers, and event modules to create more versatility in your realm."

Some ppl just don't like Item malls, nothing wrong with stating that is there? I myself don't use Item malls because I know it will cost me more in the long run, such as one poster mentioning that you can buy tools from the Item Mall at $2 which increase that amount of products such as bread you can produce, they have 10 uses and produce 500 bread each time, yes a useful item but at $2 rather expensive for an item that will expire, what happens if you need a different tool for different crafts, how much will that set you back in 1 play session, $6 dollars perhaps, what happens tomorrow if you want to do the same again but your Item Mall items have run out of their 10 uses, do you buy more because it saves you time or do you just grind it out, you've still got a lot of days left in that month where in other games you probably paid $10 max to get access to everything.

Now I do like the look of the game but as I point out above you can see why some ppl won't, but I'l give it a go when it gets released and see how it pans out in regards to the Item Mall, regardless it will be one part of the game I'l have to pass.

Originally posted by qbangy32

Some ppl just don't like Item malls, nothing wrong with stating that is there? I myself don't use Item malls because I know it will cost me more in the long run, such as one poster mentioning that you can buy tools from the Item Mall at $2 which increase that amount of products such as bread you can produce, they have 10 uses and produce 500 bread each time, yes a useful item but at $2 rather expensive for an item that will expire, what happens if you need a different tool for different crafts, how much will that set you back in 1 play session, $6 dollars perhaps, what happens tomorrow if you want to do the same again but your Item Mall items have run out of their 10 uses, do you buy more because it saves you time or do you just grind it out, you've still got a lot of days left in that month where in other games you probably paid $10 max to get access to everything.

I hope you are joking do you have any idea why bread is important to the game in the first place? I don't and I've been playing for bout a year. It's for sure nothing needed for normal gameplay

Everything I need I grow in my fields. Then I make potions with that. And these same potions I've never needed

This isnt some Asian f2p where you grind levels and crafting is a turd

If you dont like crafting then don't craft. Just grab some seeds and grow your own stuff. Then grind it into a potion. Done.

But anyone worth a salt wont need potions much. I know I never did. I heal myself with my magic. Plus if you die those potions will rot anyway.

Not to mention even if you don't use Magic you can maxout your Stamina stat in realtime using your melee skills or get high resist gear or skillup Meditate skills for self healing.

Can you new players please enlighten me why you flock to Bread like crack

• GorakkhGorakkh Member Posts: 694

They should atleast keep the account creation open for a few hrs at a time. This is just frustrating trying to get an account.

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

I got in last night, and must say it is definitely a breath of fresh air.
    Reminds me of my old UO days!

congrats that you got in. Yeah its for sure a breath of fresh air and the skill system is very fresh

Originally posted by NeverLand7

They should atleast keep the account creation open for a few hrs at a time. This is just frustrating trying to get an account.

well right now they are really trying to limit the amount of new players because there isnt any tutorial in place, so  instead they have players who are acting as guides.  They dont want the guides to have more than they can deal with.

i hear the tutorial is coming along nicely, so hopefully soon they will open it up to everyone

Originally posted by qbangy32

I hope you are joking do you have any idea why bread is important to the game in the first place? I don't and I've been playing for bout a year. It's for sure nothing needed for normal gameplay

Everything I need I grow in my fields. Then I make potions with that. And these same potions I've never needed

This isnt some Asian f2p where you grind levels and crafting is a turd

If you dont like crafting then don't craft. Just grab some seeds and grow your own stuff. Then grind it into a potion. Done.

But anyone worth a salt wont need potions much. I know I never did. I heal myself with my magic. Plus if you die those potions will rot anyway.

Not to mention even if you don't use Magic you can maxout your Stamina stat in realtime using your melee skills or get high resist gear or skillup Meditate skills for self healing.

Can you new players please enlighten me why you flock to Bread like crack

Hold your horses there Buckaroo I'm just emphasizing why some ppl do not like Item malls, nowhere in my post do I say that this is either a bad game (I haven't played it) or that items crafted in it are also bad or not needed (Again haven't played it) I just want to make it quite clear that Item Malls can in fact become more expensive than a monthly subscription, I know full well that we don't have to use them, I understand believe me I do .

So I hope I've made that clear, good looking game yes and big thumbs up from me, but going to side with the Non liking Item Mall idea group of ppl as I have had enough experience of them to know better, but ofc the Item Mall shouldn't spoil my gameplay so long as I can get things done as I would normally do in any other MMO.

P.s only used Bread as an example because a poster on this thread who states they are in the game right now used it as an example, can only work with the info thats provided by ppl in-game, soz if it sounds like I'm picking on bread, I'm definately not a breadist.

Oh ok, for the record ignore anyone talking about bread there are MUCH easier ways to make potions :)

• kharri21kharri21 Member Posts: 4

Man is the item mall freaking people out, WOW!

I've been playing for a year and I've spent $2. That's it, $2 in a full year of game play. That was only because I had two KILLER weapons that ran out of durability and wanted to keep them. And it's not like I don't have 60-70 excellent weapons in the bank, I just REALLY liked those two cuz they have great mods.

I've mastered every skill the game has to offer and did not need (or want) to purchase anything. It's there for the people that WANT to buy it, you don't have to or need to because it will not affect game play at all. It will only save you some time if you so choose.

I made 600 dough balls for bread this morning for another player and it took me 20-25 minutes so it's not like you spend all day doing it. (yes Patch, I said bread again )

And Patch,

When you start your cooking, come see me and I'll teach you the finer points of bread making

cya in game

Ike

thought i would try and condense down some of the info discussed in the thread and add it to the OP, if anyone has anything they would like added to that little list please feel free to tell me 

Well i just got out of a dungeon, and i figured i may as well share.  It was great fun, for parts of it you needed to train a bunch of skeletons into certain spots to complete a circuit and turn all these ancient electric lights on and summon these two bosses.  It was a lot like running a dungeon in diablo (just you dont kill things in 1 hit, and you have more varied spell or abilitys).   The two bosses we summoned took quite a few minutes (my guess is around 15) and a lot of running all over the place to dodge different attacks and effects.  I found that running in and using my attacks then running back out to avoid everything worked well.  The boss dropped a whole wardrobe of somewhat average stuff, the second ever potion that upgrades your cap on strength and agility to 175(?) from 150, and some stuff which can be put in your realm (like a furnace, an essence transumter, or a mill for grain).  You can buy dice from merchants, and we used these to roll on the special items (it shows two pictures of dice over your head after you roll) 

Dungeons are also all FFA PVP, so if someone takes something just kill them, and watch your targeting  Anyone can run in as well and there are no real parties, so make sure you know who was part of your group

anyways it was great fun and i figured i would share my expirience here

edit: sorry about the double post, should have just edited that last one 

Originally posted by kharri21

Man is the item mall freaking people out, WOW!
    I've been playing for a year and I've spent $2. That's it, $2 in a full year of game play. That was only because I had two KILLER weapons that ran out of durability and wanted to keep them. And it's not like I don't have 60-70 excellent weapons in the bank, I just REALLY liked those two cuz they have great mods.
    I've mastered every skill the game has to offer and did not need (or want) to purchase anything. It's there for the people that WANT to buy it, you don't have to or need to because it will not affect game play at all. It will only save you some time if you so choose.
    I made 600 dough balls for bread this morning for another player and it took me 20-25 minutes so it's not like you spend all day doing it. (yes Patch, I said bread again )

And Patch,

When you start your cooking, come see me and I'll teach you the finer points of bread making

cya in game

Ike

Weird man I didnt even know there was an item mall all this time. What's in there? WE've all like hit skill cap w/o using it lol <well in my case its the base stat cap>

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Blimey!!! This game really does look impressive. In fact I would say that it stands for what ONLINE gaming should really be about. Screw all of the crappy excuses for mmos we have been seeing from all the major games companies over the years which are really nothing more than badly made single player games ported onto the internet.

Player created content? Player created worlds? Wow!

.....and you have to be 18 to play as well! Obviously they wont be able to fully enforce this but at least it should help to minimise my chances of having to play these games alongside children and immature teenagers.......although it wont remove the immature adults. Cant have evrything I guess.

• HellsMajestyHellsMajesty Member UncommonPosts: 204

i think with the hype this post has generated and the general enthusiasm for the game from everyone who has looked at it that it should have its own forum on this site by now that way we could really get into discussions about it without having to trawl through 15 pages of text. anyone else agree?