Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A suggestion on the way your creatives (ads) are handled.

AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

A small suggestion.

Relavent advertising, get some.

I'm not sure what the hell happend to this site but it's advertising is MISSING the demographic, how do you people even do CPM?

Are these signs of neilsons being correct?

It's kind of a joke to have mmofps / browser mmo ads and random single player rpg's from atlus being on a mmoRPG website .

Or maybe you guys just need some new affiliate marketing offers , I'm not sure but you can't be making any revenue off of these , so I don't see how this site can float on bargain banners/skyscrapers/etc .

That sorta worries me as you guys are like an addicts "Dude heres a new drug it's called..." to me :(.

For the most part a AAA writing staff , but christ... I am absolutely sick of seeing these browser games and their fireworks abuse banners while trying to read your AAA staffs writing. Or that damned crossfire banner. it flashes like 1000000 times in a play, thats too much for the sites tone and colors.

All in all you guys are really great, your advertising however ... 

I can't see how you have so many viewers and impressions per week and are pushing such horrible advertising.

Moutain Dew ads have more relevance and reach to your DEMOGRAPHIC than CROSSFIRE does.

Just the opinion of a advertising consultant who happens to love this site (in an un-natural sorta creepy van candy kind of way).

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

A small suggestion.
    I'm not sure what the hell happend to this site but it's advertising is MISSING the demographic, how do you people even do CPM?

It's kind of a joke to have mmofps / browser mmo ads and random single player rpg's from atlus being on a mmoRPG website .
    Or maybe you guys just need some new affiliate marketing offers , I'm not sure but you can't be making any revenue off of these , so I don't see how this site can float on bargain banners/skyscrapers/etc .
    That sorta worries me as you guys are like an addicts "Dude heres a new drug it's called..." to me :(.

For the most part a AAA writing staff , but christ... I am absolutely sick of seeing these browser games and their fireworks abuse banners while trying to read your AAA staffs writing. Or that damned crossfire banner. it flashes like 1000000 times in a play, thats too much for the sites tone and colors.

I can't see how you have so many viewers and impressions per week and are pushing such horrible advertising.
    Moutain Dew ads have more relevance and reach to your DEMOGRAPHIC than CROSSFIRE does.

Just the opinion of a advertising consultant who happens to love this site (in an un-natural sorta creepy van candy kind of way).

I completely disagree with you as it seems your interests are just too narrow in scope.

I think it makes complete sense to have MMOFPS games because players might actually be interested in playing other game but games that involved other people! And why not browser mmo's?

As far as single player games? Well perhaps but I haven't noticed any single player games so I can't really speak to that. But I might be interested in one if I hadn't heard of it before.

I think that as games progress and grow and evolve it seems to me a bit too precious to be nit picking over whether there is an RPG in the title. For example, when Guild Wars came out, there were people who were up in arms over its inclusion on this site.

But it's a game where you can play with other players and it incorporates many things that an mmorpg has. It's similiar enough that it's inclusion can only give players a greater variety to consider.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Astropuyo

A small suggestion.

I completely disagree with you as it seems your interests are just too narrow in scope.

I think it makes complete sense to have MMOFPS games because players might actually be interested in playing other game but games that involved other people! And why not browser mmo's?

As far as single player games? Well perhaps but I haven't noticed any single player games so I can't really speak to that. But I might be interested in one if I hadn't heard of it before.

I think that as games progress and grow and evolve it seems to me a bit too precious to be nit picking over whether there is an RPG in the title. For example, when Guild Wars came out, there were people who were up in arms over its inclusion on this site.

But it's a game where you can play with other players and it incorporates many things that an mmorpg has. It's similiar enough that it's inclusion can only give players a greater variety to consider.

Let me make this clear. I am in advertising, it's my entire career. My resume is filled with advertising related jobs, from running entire systems, sales, or buying it's my job. I am a consultant in this exact industry that I am writing about here. I get paid to advise and enact plans based on reach and demographics. This is a business suggestion for the site. As I wish to see it continue to grow. 

Now on to the topic..

This is true, but this is mmoRPG.com, the demographic is wrong. It's not a narrow thinking. It's just the wrong demographic.

An article on the game, or a spotlight? Hey go for it. For ads.. The thing that drives capital to the site? It's missing the demographics completely. You don't offer an established audience something randomly new or different to the genre they are looking at. You don't go to gamespy.com and see "pampers" ads everywhere or something of that nature. 

The clickthroughs must be incredibly dismal, if it's Click based Ew, impression wise it's gotta be REALLY low dollar.

The demographic is not being reached. I play mmofps's like crack . You name it and I have two accounts, one for assualt the other for sniping.

(except exsteel, but I have 4 slots there).

I don't come to mmorpg.com for mmofps games, I come for mmorpg's. Just as the first time back in 03 I typed MMORPG into my google and bam found this site. I have not returned here for years for FPS AD's .

Take note "You might interested" They have star ocean rotation going on the main page , it's the skyscraper ad. Check it out. They've also had devil summoner and quite a few others.

As for browser based games that aren't really massive? Or hardly multiplayer (outside of trade and once in a blue moon chat stop in?) Because, they are a WASTE WASTE WASTE of rotation space. 

Business sense, if those impressions are making 1.00 CPM, and you could have 5.00 cpm from another group? WHICH WOULD YOU DO? I know for a fact browser games in advertising is a value added type affiliate "lets fill this space with this crap" type of thing. Unless it's neopets which pays a decent CPM .

Mmorpg's demographic are mmorpg players.

MMOSITE's demographic is the mixture. 

Nielsens.com will give you plenty of demographic data.

This is just business advice from a guy who pays/paid publishers to do what mmorpg.com does. PUSH ADS. The 1 in 80 who may be interested in that creative of the FPS are more likely to click on a "RPG" type banner. Thats demographics. Click throughs are important. Because the more clickthroughs in your metric data from previous campaigns the more likely you will get more AAA advertisers seeing value in your site.

All advertisers know your impressions (how many times a creative is seen) is all good but CLICK THROUGH? Oh man the higher that is... The better. It means I can run my AAA stuff on your site and get more than simple BRANDING, I get results. Results and advertising are like men and women. They go together very well.

Business is narrow, and seeing as the creatives are declining I am only advising this because these are seriously low brow creatives.

When you have branded a SITE MMORPG.COM when people are here they want to see MMORPG related items. You will have a higher clickthrough frequency when you are reaching your audience with relavent creatives.

13 years in this industry mate, and I'm rarely wrong, I am just saying this site needs relavence to their advertising more now than ever. There are 100's of mmorpg sites popping up but MMORPG.com was grabbed first and it's the genre of the games. AAA site with geocities class advertising.

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

After all this time I would imagine the staff are fully aware of what type of ads perform best. The network banners (as opposed to private sales) that get shown here are quite probably fillers for when the inventory is not sold out with higher paying ads.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Eraserhead

After all this time I would imagine the staff are fully aware of what type of ads perform best. The network banners (as opposed to private sales) that get shown here are quite probably fillers for when the inventory is not sold out with higher paying ads.

Indeed, 

This is called affiliate fill up, and you have choice on which creatives are served in those programs.

Metrically I'd say that crossfire wasn't doing too well as most affiliate sites that had that creative running saw little or no conversion , that specific creative was ranked below average for CTR.

And considering it's no longer running I'd say I was completely correct.

My point is, creatives need to be handled the same way you would handle a child. 

You must make them relevant , these are your money, even bargain creatives must be handled effective. RoN specifically must be customized for the demographic of the standard user base.

Just because they are bargain bin RoN does not mean you should run any less relevant creatives. If anything in that "downtime" of rotation one should run the best converting "revenue over time" creatives. Not low brow  based creatives.

Twas a simple suggestion from a guy who gets paid to do exactly that. Suggest.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

This is called the new economy.  Ad sales are slow and we are relying on CPC type networks to limp along.  Our premium CPM sales are slow, however much of this is just the way Q1 goes for any year - ad budgets generally are healing from massive holiday spending.

We will always stick to our guns though on gaming-only ads.  Rest assured you won't have to look at ads for dating websites, cell phones or "lower your mortgage rates" banners here at MMORPG.com

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Admuncher gets rid of all the crap and makes this site load up much faster