Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why only bipeds?

2»

Comments

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by hidden1

See that's what I'm talking about.  The option to play a race that is different than ourselves.  That's fantasy right there!

So if that was a human body with a spider head, you wouldn't like it, but because it's a Centaur without the horse half (instead, with a spider half...an Arachnatar...?) you like it?

I'm all for hybrids but I wouldn't really be interested in playing any "fully" animal race, except Dragons.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Ascension08

See that's what I'm talking about.  The option to play a race that is different than ourselves.  That's fantasy right there!

So if that was a human body with a spider head, you wouldn't like it, but because it's a Centaur without the horse half (instead, with a spider half...an Arachnatar...?) you like it?

I'm all for hybrids but I wouldn't really be interested in playing any "fully" animal race, except Dragons.

I totally agree. It would have to be some form of a hybrid or would be rather boring. Although, there are some exceptions where the creature is completely bestial yet would still make a good playable race. Nagas for example would be relatively neat to play.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
    Originally posted by Locklain

I totally agree. It would have to be some form of a hybrid or would be rather boring. Although, there are some exceptions where the creature is completely bestial yet would still make a good playable race. Nagas for example would be relatively neat to play.

If you put on a scaly green cloak and a fish mask, you're still human...just look like a fish. Nagas are still half "human" - head, shoulders, arms, with a snake tail. That's what I meant .

A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I'm talking about the option to give the player more variety.  Variety being the spice of life an all.

If you put on a scaly green cloak and a fish mask, you're still human...just look like a fish. Nagas are still half "human" - head, shoulders, arms, with a snake tail. That's what I meant .

I am not sure about the OP, but myself, I am looking for just a little variance in character design.  I am sick and tired of the same races being used in games.  Someone needs to branch out a little bit and do a little more than paint a human frame with scales and call it a Lizardman.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • EisdracheEisdrache Member UncommonPosts: 41

Thats it guys. I am talking about possibilities! I'd like to play my dragon again much more than anything else, thats a fact. But i'd be glad to only hav the choice to play e.g. that spiderwoman. Its something really different, not 10 times almost the same race, with another shape and stats but not really different.

And yes... maybe i'd like to play a blob. Maybe the sexiest blob ever...LOL

I am not sure about the OP, but myself, I am looking for just a little variance in character design.  I am sick and tired of the same races being used in games.  Someone needs to branch out a little bit and do a little more than paint a human frame with scales and call it a Lizardman.

Well generally I think it's natural for us to enjoy the familiar. Most people couldn't really get into an "ugly" race, such as a spider/human hybrid. That's also one of the reasons for the lack of Dwarfen popularity in most games. People would rather play something "pretty" or "cool", and when you have Elves (pinnacle of the good human qualities like beauty, grace, intelligence) compared to short, smelly, drunk, angry human-like creatures, it's not a very hard choice (for most people).

I keep saying most people because that's what companies care about.

Variety is fine, and if a game offers a race or two that isn't distinctly human-like, that's fine. Unless it was really cool-looking (maybe some type of alien) I think it would never be as popular as your run-of-the-mill humanoid. Another side thing I was thinking is animations and models. There's thousands of easy to make and easy to animate human or humanoid models out there, but if you wanted to start from scratch, that'd take a lot of extra time/effort and I think most companies don't believe it would be worth it.

Just my thoughts on the matter, I understand where you guys are coming from but I'm looking at it from a majority type of perspective.

To the OP, this is an awesome thread!  Why? Because it's sparked my imagination further.  Check this out.  Cyberpunk style game... u start human, but eventualy as your progress, u can make your body completly cybernetic and chose what you'll be like.  Example, you may come to a cross roads in your characters development where you have a choice to remove your human legs for different cyber legs (could be Bi- tri- or Quadroped.. each with their own uses and disadvantages/advantages... heck how about tank-like wheels for legs instead).  And so make it so your cybercharacter is customizable by a selection of parts, and not just "under-skin" implants.

Again, love this thread, so many ideas come to mind.  Thanks OP

You are right Ascencion. Despites that Dwarves are small stinky humans not more. In Horizons most players chose to be a dragon. They are really cool. I think there are many possibilities for non-biped races that are cool aswell. Even a spider race could be cool if equipped with unique features. I think no one ever thought about being ugly while playing an alien in alien vs predator. You are right, its a load of work to develop such things, but it might be neccessary to have something unique to come out of the loads of MMOs all looking the same while claiming to be the "next generation MMO".

I am not shure I you understand my words. I am not native english, and this is getting quite complicated to write. I am sorry for any inconvenience that might cause.

Ahm...whats OP?

Again: There are many possibilities. It would also be possible to be reborn in an animal body, being a rat for the n00bs... But you have to reach a certain goal to be able to get back into your chosen shape, so you become a living and somewhat nasty BOSS-RAT for the n00bs.

I don't really know if it is as much of an animation issue as it would be gearing up something other than a bipedal race with the same basic frame.  In the games now all the devs have to do is make one armor set and scale it differently rather than make something that is race specific.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Hey Eisdrache, have you ever tried Second Life.  I know there you can find/create/buy almost any type of avatar and there's a bunch of RPers there, too.  Also,  I'm not sure of its capabilities, but theres a bunch of Never WInter Nights (NWN) servers floating around. and those are full of RP.

edited because I left out some of a sentence/

Originally posted by Realedazed

Hey Eisdrache, have you ever tried Second Life.  I know there you can find/create/buy almost any type of avatar and there's a bunch of RPers there, too.  I'm not sure of its capabilities, but theres a bunch of Never WInter Nights (NWN) servers floating around.

Also have you checked out INSILICO in second life?  As RP-cyberpunk soloution for something a bit different in MMO's.

http://insilico.ning.com/

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Originally posted by Realedazed

Hey Eisdrache, have you ever tried Second Life.  I know there you can find/create/buy almost any type of avatar and there's a bunch of RPers there, too.  I'm not sure of its capabilities, but theres a bunch of Never WInter Nights (NWN) servers floating around.

Also have you checked out INSILICO in second life?  As RP-cyberpunk soloution for something a bit different in MMO's.

http://insilico.ning.com/

Not bad. I may have to reinstall Second Life and try that.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I don't see why an MMO incorporating a Spore Creature Creator can't be done. Why have races at all? Why not let your players make their own?

• WillbyWillby Member Posts: 5

Not sure if this would apply, but in LOTRO, you get to play as a monster player (from which you can choose to be a spider or a warg) and there's a little series of session play quests that allow you to go around as a chicken.

Of course, none of this is as in-depth as a whole game centered around some non-bipedal races, but it's a start .

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353

This is one of the few issues I have with CoX - I'd like more human hybrid characters: centaurs, Naga-types, harpies, etc. Maybe someday...

One of the problems with true non-bipeds (horses, birds, snakes, snails, dogs, whatever) is the lack of manipulators. Like someone else mentioned, they can't use traditional weapons. They'd have to fight with body parts (hooves, talons, fangs) or with magic. But the addition of a "rider" could add to your character's offensive capabilities. And riders could be responsible for attaching armor (how is a horse going to buckle his own straps?)

Originally posted by Eisdrache

Ahm...whats OP?

OP = Original Post or Original Poster. "In your OP..." refers to the post that started the thread - post #1. "The OP said in post #25..." refers to the person who started the topic - in this thread, that's you.

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.

Thanks Milton! (for the explanation)

I do not see the problem in not having hands or using traditional weapons. Of course a horse could not hold a sword. Not a horse of course. (Is that worse or coarse?)

However you just need someone who is capable of thinking in fantastic dimensions.

For example, dragons are very easy, as they could use their forehands like human hands. In Horizons there were "claws and scales" as weapon and armor for dragons.

Horses could have horseshoes with spikes, similar helmets or in mor SciFi based surroundings...missile launcher and lasercannons on their back.

Snail might have glue like slime, stunning the foe to the ground, then damaging the foes armor with their teeth, spiked almost invulnerable housings as well.

Have you ever touches a husky or wolf in winter, when the air is dry? You will ause sparks within the fur and maybe get a ittle electric shock. In fantastic realm that shock might blow you away and leave laying inconscious on the ground. Maybe it melts your weapon, or burns you to ash.

And that are only "real" creatures. I bet I would be able to turn almost every creature into a mighty beast if i get time to think about it. Others already did it. You think a worm ist weak? Think of "Worms" or the sandworms from "Dune".

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

I miss my dragon in Horizons...

That being said, this topic is one I have long thought about and will eventually post on with a plethora of ideas that I have listed (but need to be in an organizable format)

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.