Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best pvp (rvr) MMORPG?

I played DAoC for years but  the decline in population as well as many changes they have made eventually made me a bit bored. I have tried Age of Conan, World of warcraft, Lineage 2 and Warhammer and nothing has ever had as good and fun and exciting pvp as daoc had. Have I missed any good pvp games that i should have tried?

In your opinion what is the best pvp MMORPG out there?

www.khrinz.com

Comments

• ougaritougarit Member Posts: 317

DAOC for RvR

Eve for GvG PVP

WWIIONLINE for PVP/ Strategy

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

I've not found anything to really replace DAOC either for pvp... I can have fun pvp'ing in about any game. But most feel like a massive free for all zerg fest with little tactics. Perhaps if Mythic ever releases Origins server you can re-live some of the glory days.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

GW for competetive PvP/GvG hands down.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    Originally posted by Quirhid

GW for competetive PvP hands down.

I agree with this statement. The biggest issue with GW PvP though is how inaccessible is it. If you don't have a good guild you'll be pugging until you are high enough rank to get into some decent parties.

Also the balance was never quite there but I've never had more fun in PvP.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Is currently no better RvR then Daoc, it will change in about a year however, Guildwars 2 will have awesome RvR

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

Hmmm been ages since I played Guild Wars (core game no expansions). And I only played the PVE side of it.  I guess I might as well wait till GW2 comes out...if it ever does.

• PacHealerPacHealer Member Posts: 5

Origins could be good when if it comes but I suspect it won't especially now with recent layoffs at EA/Mythic :(

www.khrinz.com

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Noktaris

Hmmm been ages since I played Guild Wars (core game no expansions). And I only played the PVE side of it.  I guess I might as well wait till GW2 comes out...if it ever does.

I think I know what you mean. I'd like to go back to GW. I hear it has a lot of players still but getting back on the horse seems overwhelming. It takes time to get in tune with the metagame and flavors. I'd rather cherish my memories and wait for GW2.

Its weird that you haven't played PvP though. If you ever want to dip your toes in PvP - do it here or in GW2.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by pb1285n
    Originally posted by Quirhid GW for competetive PvP hands down.

I agree with this statement. The biggest issue with GW PvP though is how inaccessible is it. If you don't have a good guild you'll be pugging until you are high enough rank to get into some decent parties.
    Also the balance was never quite there but I've never had more fun in PvP.

Agree on PvP in GW being the by far best I've ever seen. And while the game isn't very well balanced, the most other games lack balance. Not to mention that with 2000 skills and the ability to use primary and secondary professions, keeping the game balanced is damn hard.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

Pvp in guild wars is to be divided in quite a few categories:

-random arena: where the noobs can beat the pros. Random groups, this is a for fun sort of pvp.

_team arena: now were talking real pvp even though the groups are still a bit too smal for real tactics

-hero battle: this is quite different from regular gw pvp since you use 3 heroes

-hall of heroes: this is where hardcore pvp starts, you'll have to grind with low ranked ppl in order to get into a decent group, quite elitist but with a bit of determination.

-and then gvg: this is hte real shit, you'll need a good guild with 100% people that you can trust, at least 20 hardcore gvgers so that whenever you need a team you can get one.

As for blance, all classes are more or less balanced, but since pvp in this game is a team based thing class balance doesnt really matter (most overpowered builds get nerfed fast).

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Shadowbane has the best PVP. And its free

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I never really cared for guild wars my self, though it did have a few cool factors.

PvP was too repetitive in GW..just arena/bg type stuff.

Really, it depends on what you classify as pvp.  If something like DAOC is what you're looking for...there really isn't anything out there (since you already said you don't like WAR and/or AOC.

Like another guy said, Shadowbane might be worth looking at for a temporary fix since it's free now. It kept me amused for a month or two a few months back.

Lot's of people say Eve has good PvP but I've never played it...just can't do the "my character is a ship" thing.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

WWIIoL hands down. 

As I write this it's Campaign 50 in WWIIoL and the Germans punched through the allied line SE of Antwerp last night.

During the day I cannot get in game so I watched the Germans sweep around behind the allied line via the campaign map on the home page here http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index.php/campaign-community/campaign-map

Sadly for us allies I think the bulk of our army is about to be cut off and routed... tonight will be all about last stands I think.

It doesn't get much better than that.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

For GvG and massive battles: Lineage 2 > EvE > Guild Wars.

RvR I guess DaoC or Aion.