Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are some of the worst MMO's the most popular?

2»

Comments

• Litigator_ABLitigator_AB Member Posts: 311

I won't even discuss World of Warcraft.  World of Warcraft is a fine game of the genre and, with regard to many facets, the most complete.

The other two just prove a few points of online gaming:

1.  people crave social connections

2.  people like free games

True Runescape and Maple Story are garbage games.  But at least they have a community...a community that many of the subscription MMOs do not have.

The psychological barrier that afflicts most MMOs is that the game is dying or that there is a lack of new blood.  People who aren't playing a game don't like to start games where they are the only new person.  With WoW, you know there are going to be new people playing it.  Veterans leave games when they feel like it is dying.  There is no fun being the king of an empty castle.  

And although Runescape and Maplestory suck, they have solid itemization.  And itemization is everything because it allows for people to be programmed into learned behaviours with addictive reinforcement schedules.

World of Warcraft, by far, has the best reinforcement schedule in terms of character improvement.  It's diversity is also good, but not great.  It could be better in terms of random attributes;  they should create variances within each item and they should have more tiers of items.  (Asheron's Call had the random attributes portion down pat but failed miserably in balancing it.)

Sigh, if only some company would hire me to make their loot tables.  I could make them a fortune and I'd have fun doing it.  Perhaps there is some database limitation that makes the ideal enforcement schedule untenable. Shrug.

• iFroobiFroob Member Posts: 52

I use to think Maple story was a crap game.

But after playing all the decent mmos, I've realised how good it is.

Someday you'll experience this feelings.

Only downside is all the hackers in the game, I'm currently waiting for the 2nd maple euorpe server to be released.

• KrelnorKrelnor Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by luckypotato

Title says all. Why? It dosent make any sence at all. Please, somebody give me awnsers
    Examples:
    Maplestory: A free 2D mmo which consists of grinding everyday for 3 years to reach the max level. Combat is composed of holding down a button, spamming attacks, and waiting for a moster to die. Praticially the entire game is grinding. There really isnt even a "story" to maplestory, which shows how much thought they put into the game. Maplestory has a problem with hackers, and gold farmers, typicial of Eastern mmo's.

Runescape: A free 3D mmo where you pay 7$ a month for more areas, and more skills to grind for. There idea of  "upgrading" the game is taking out there most popular feature of the game and losing over 3 million players. That was in 2004? i think. To this day they still dont have as many players as they used to. Combat is slow paced and booring. It consists of clicking on a monster and waiting for it to die. Theres not even skills (the icon type) to press to do different attacks! You just click and wait.. and occasionally eat food when your health is low.

World of Warcraft: I dont think i dont even have to explain.

So..yeah.. it dosent make any sence does it?

I haven't played maplestory, but I've played Runescape and WoW. I personally hate Runescape to me i just find it as a total and boring grind fest. Many of my friends play, and all of them pay for it. I think they play runescape because it's the only mmo they've every played, and they've been playing for years. Also, Runescape has a cheap subsciption to pay, if your gonna pay to play. And a couple, if not all, have labtops and use them to play runescape. I could never get myself to play the game the game for more than like 3-4 days, and most of the time I would just stand there and talk to my friends. One more thing, someone on runescape that i was talking to said that the only reason he really plays is so he can talk to his friends. Which is just like me, so i suspect a few other people play for that reason too.

AS for WoW, it was the first MMO that I played. and at first I found it really fun. But after awhile and playing a couple chars to high levels, i just got bored with it. And now i don't play WoW.

And i haven't played maplestory yet, because i'm not really the person who likies to play cutsie games.

I am waiting for an MMO that I would like, and I know others would like to, but that probably won't happen until my team is done with finishing our game.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Err, because everyone has different opinions and, like it or not, you're the minority? 

Well, not on this site of course, but worldwide? Yep.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513
    Originally posted by Ascension08

Err, because everyone has different opinions and, like it or not, you're the minority? 
    Well, not on this site of course, but worldwide? Yep.

I have to agree with this. People tend to believe that their own opinion is 100% correct. Thus minorities have a hard time understanding why the world is going "insane". In reality the folks on this site are such a minority. There is a figure of speech: Birds of a feather flock together. You will hardly find anyone from the other side of the bridge here (for example WoW-fanatics).

So while you have your opinion that those are bad games, there are people out there who would defend them with their life. Also understand that what defines a good or bad game can often not be described in words or facts. People simply like the game even if it has the depth of a grass growing simulation.

The only thing you can do is to wait for a game that appeals to you and ignore the rest. You will be a lot less frustrated that way. Trying to understand whats going on in the brains of other people will make you go insane. Seriously.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• FadeToBlack3FadeToBlack3 Member Posts: 89
    Originally posted by Eunuchmaker

Last time I checked, ppl were still entitled to their own opinion as to what makes a game the worst or the best and will spend their money accordingly.  True story.

Well said sir.

Wolfenpride: <--Giant fucking sword syndrome.

Probably cause im trying to compensate for miniscule manhood.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

There's one thing they all have in common:

Accessibility

Each one can be ran on pretty much any computer, anytime. The violence levels are low, there's no bad language, and they're very simple games. They're popular because anyone can play them.

LOTRO is fairly simple once you play it for a day but it requires a heftier system (or so people think, they never see it with the settings down).

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I never tried Maple story but heard from several sources that it was terrible so I passed....Runescape was flat out awful and with an absolutely brutal community on top of that........WoW has an immature community also but I can see why people play it ........

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by nickelpat

Accessibility
    Each one can be ran on pretty much any computer, anytime. The violence levels are low, there's no bad language, and they're very simple games. They're popular because anyone can play them.
    LOTRO is fairly simple once you play it for a day but it requires a heftier system (or so people think, they never see it with the settings down).

No bad language?? You must not have played on the same Runescape server that I did...That was the only game where I literally had to shut off all chat channels because there was so much swearing..... That community makes WoW's look like the Vienna boys choir.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Accessibility

No bad language?? You must not have played on the same Runescape server that I did...That was the only game where I literally had to shut off all chat channels because there was so much swearing..... That community makes WoW's look like the Vienna boys choir.

Are you being sarcastic? Runescape is notorious for over-zealous chat filters because there are 10 year olds playing. Seriously, they even blocked stuff with spaces inbetween, so if you typed "Lol look at that noob's hit", it'd appear as "Lol look at that noob*****". Now that was when I played, which was a while ago. I seriously hope they've tuned it down a little.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• vknidvknid Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by Quizzical

There are people with more free time than skill.  As such, there is money to be made by making games that cater to such people, even if people with more skill than free time will think those games are awful. 

So someone with a lot of free time, has less skill than someone that doesnt? The only time that would be remotely possible would be if the person with a lot of free time doesnt even play MMO's, then, making your entire sentence moot.

Besides, playing an mmo doesnt take a whole lot of "skill" (in terms of quickness) anyway.

• LithomanLithoman Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by girlgeek

This is so simple to answer, that I'm not even sure it warrants the effort it takes to TYPE the answer.

Answer:  Because not everyone has the same taste in games that YOU do.  Hello, McFly.....

These games are not the "worst games," apparently, to MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people.  Just because they aren't good games to YOU does not make it so.  Apparently, these games are enjoyed by a helluva lot of gamers.  You're not one of them.  So what?  Play something else.....

WHOOA!

That just sounds too much like common sense...

You gotta be careful with that stuff around here! Someone might get hurt...

Good answer! 

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230

As far as linear MMOs go, WoW is pretty fantastic. If there was no such thing as a sandbox-type game, I think it would be hard to top it. At first, I didn't like WoW that much, but then I started to explore the world more - and I think it gets a lot better the further you go in the game. Stranglethrone Vale to me is still one of the greatest eye-candy experiences I ever had.

• KrelnorKrelnor Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Ascension08

Originally posted by Theocritus

Accessibility

Are you being sarcastic? Runescape is notorious for over-zealous chat filters because there are 10 year olds playing. Seriously, they even blocked stuff with spaces inbetween, so if you typed "Lol look at that noob's hit", it'd appear as "Lol look at that noob*****". Now that was when I played, which was a while ago. I seriously hope they've tuned it down a little.

My friends said they've tuned down the filters now so there are some swears you can say. Also, maybe there's not much bad language, but the community in Runescape is terrible. So  many people call each other noobs, it was so annoying when i tryed to to play it. And when i watch my friends play, they call others noobs and i see it everywhere in the channels. Someone has  better armor than you, people say like in the public channel, what a noob. Or someone get's killed and then the other player says "I just pwned that noob" or "You suck noob" It's extremely annoying. And i do see bad language a lot in Runescape.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by luckypotato

Title says all. Why? It dosent make any sence at all. Please, somebody give me awnsers
    Examples:
    Maplestory: A free 2D mmo which consists of grinding everyday for 3 years to reach the max level. Combat is composed of holding down a button, spamming attacks, and waiting for a moster to die. Praticially the entire game is grinding. There really isnt even a "story" to maplestory, which shows how much thought they put into the game. Maplestory has a problem with hackers, and gold farmers, typicial of Eastern mmo's.

Runescape: A free 3D mmo where you pay 7$ a month for more areas, and more skills to grind for. There idea of  "upgrading" the game is taking out there most popular feature of the game and losing over 3 million players. That was in 2004? i think. To this day they still dont have as many players as they used to. Combat is slow paced and booring. It consists of clicking on a monster and waiting for it to die. Theres not even skills (the icon type) to press to do different attacks! You just click and wait.. and occasionally eat food when your health is low.

World of Warcraft: I dont think i dont even have to explain.

So..yeah.. it dosent make any sence does it?

You really should be using a spellchecker.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill "It has been said that Warcraft is the worst form of MMORPG, except for all the others that have been tried."

Customers vote with their hard-earned money, and the fact that the other games don't make as much money says more about them than WoW.  There are games I play that I think are good, yet I can't ever see them beating WoW any time soon. 

The games being released even as we speak are stale, copy the same old themes and mechanics of every other game on the market, and their reliance on nothing but smoke and mirrors to dress up the same old crap, and then pasting over the cracks with meaningless eye-candy is what is killing them from the outset.  You have to laugh when people make posts saying "look at the graphics in this video clip - this game will be awesome!"  They'll never learn.

We need true innovation, more creative freedom in-game and less slavish following of the tired old skill systems and constant grinding that just about every game has.  You'd think with a few millions in the bank and a hand-picked team of experienced game designers/programmers, somebody could break new ground,but I've yet to see it.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

I can teach a 6 yr old to play Eve too and their character will be just as good as anyone elses in 6 months.  Can't say that for WOW.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

I'm not saying that the players don't swear, the NPCs and written dialouge doesn't say anything worse than hell or damn. At that, they have tough chat filters.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393

Why do people watch reality television, buy Britney Spears albums, or breed when they're on welfare?  Makes about as much sense as WoW having 8 bazillion subs.  People are people.

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

Not sure if its been mentioned but I've tried all of those games you mentioned and I think a good reason behind it is the community.  With the shear number that play those games its easy for people to find others that are like them, thus wanting to play the game for the social aspect of the game.  I remember playing LOTRO when I was so burnt  out from the game just due to the community and knowing when I went in game I could forget about the real world, have a good laugh, and enjoy just the social side.

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by Josher

I can teach a 6 yr old to play Eve too and their character will be just as good as anyone elses in 6 months.  Can't say that for WOW

My daughter is 7yrs old and can at times when she gets the drop on her 16yr old brother beat his lvl 80 hunter with her lvl 80 druid, however due to her age she is still unguilded (No surprise) and has to do with just grping with her big brothers (which is the way I prefer it). She has been able to understand the game and has picked it up very quickly which is the beauty of WoW, it's simple and straight-forward.

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447
    Originally posted by qbangy32

I can teach a 6 yr old to play Eve too and their character will be just as good as anyone elses in 6 months.  Can't say that for WOW

My daughter is 7yrs old and can at times when she gets the drop on her 16yr old brother beat his lvl 80 hunter with her lvl 80 druid, however due to her age she is still unguilded (No surprise) and has to do with just grping with her big brothers (which is the way I prefer it). She has been able to understand the game and has picked it up very quickly which is the beauty of WoW, it's simple and straight-forward.

sheesh if I was beaten by a 7 year old I would give up, maybe your son should look for a new line of entertainment.  Yea sure being beaten by a 14 year old but 7?  doesnt say much for HIS skills.

Yea yea sure she has skills but maybe shouldnt be compared to normal players..  But I'm sure your daughter is lovely and you want to big her up.. 

All the best

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by peteski123

Originally posted by qbangy32

sheesh if I was beaten by a 7 year old I would give up, maybe your son should look for a new line of entertainment.  Yea sure being beaten by a 14 year old but 7?  doesnt say much for HIS skills.

Yea yea sure she has skills but maybe shouldnt be compared to normal players..  But I'm sure your daughter is lovely and you want to big her up.. 

All the best

It was to point out not the lack of skills of my son who incidentally also whooped me with his hunter when I used to play and yes I do suck at PvP, it was to emphasize a point about how easy WoW is to get into, no matter what age or percieved skill lvl, it's probably one of the fundamental reasons millions subscribe to the game.

Also like to point out all my kids are "Normal" players and have usually joined me in the other MMO's I have played, infact we like to grp up to play DDO as it's a very fun family game and it's nice to all be in the same house chatting away.

• happyclappyhappyclappy Member Posts: 99

I'd just like to point out that I tested WoW on a media centre PC I have, which has an integrated graphics card and can run the game all be it on the absolutely lowest setting and I get about 20 fps in Northrend.

You also don't need to know much about PC gaming or PC's in general to get into World of Warcraft, you just install it and it works straight away. (apart from the hour or two to download the latest patches)