Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Campions Onlline = City of Heroes v1.2?

The trailers really haven't excited me.  There doesn't seem to be a single thing in this game that a hundred other MMORPG games haven't done before.  If the gameplay is as shallow ast COH, whats the point?  The only unique 'special' feature is creating a villain you run into from time to time?

It looks like COH with outdoor enviornments.  It looks more like a mod of COH instead a complete new game.

Comments

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Campions Online?? Does this MMO contain trees and perhaps a forest fire? If so, im in!!

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526
    Originally posted by Milky

The trailers really haven't excited me.  There doesn't seem to be a single thing in this game that a hundred other MMORPG games haven't done before.  If the gameplay is as shallow ast COH, whats the point?  The only unique 'special' feature is creating a villain you run into from time to time?
    It looks like COH with outdoor enviornments.  It looks more like a mod of COH instead a complete new game.

Sadly this is what the genre has come to, 'new games' being just what you said, mods of other similar games.

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

If the gameplay is as shallow ast COH, whats the point?  The only unique 'special' feature is creating a villain you run into from time to time?

And the real-time combat system. Or did you not even bother reading about the game before you came onto a forum to complain about it?

• MilkyMilky Member Posts: 339

Oh I knew about the "real time" combat system.  Its not exactly a new feature in gaming.  And remember the same type of system in Age of Conan?  It went nowhere fast.

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

I'm not real excited about the game personally...to me it is just another CoH/CoV with different fighting mechanics and artsy graphics. Alot of the costume pieces are taken right from CoH as well.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Well there has been a rumour running around the COX  EU community that  Cryptic wanted to make a sequel to COX but NCsoft wouldn't put up the financial backing so they looked at alternatives for the backing....Marvel said yes but wanted the game set in there universe...they backed out  along with microsoft and soon after that it became Champions.

So pretty much two big companies ran away from this game, ran far and ran fast. 

Oh I knew about the "real time" combat system.  Its not exactly a new feature in gaming.  And remember the same type of system in Age of Conan?  It went nowhere fast.

Once again, do some reading because obviously you don't know anything about the combat system if you think it's the same as AOC. AOC's combat was arrow-key mashing, it really wasn't immersive. From what I've read, Champions will have nothing like that.

I don't understand, do you have some sort of grudge against Cryptic? And sorry to toss you off your high horse, but the real reason for Microsoft and Marvel backing out was due to conflicts with each other over the licensing of Marvel characters.

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

I really like Cryptic as a gaming company...I just wish they would have put their resources into making a different type of game instead of the same genre of games they already have.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by UWNVME

I don't understand, do you have some sort of grudge against Cryptic? And sorry to toss you off your high horse, but the real reason for Microsoft and Marvel backing out was due to conflicts with each other over the licensing of Marvel characters.

Indeed, Marvel and Microsoft couldn't come to an agreement over licensing related to IP's, so they left cryptic high and dry. I am impressed with how fast Cryptic recovered from what looked like a very bad situation.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by jinxit

Indeed, Marvel and Microsoft couldn't come to an agreement over licensing related to IP's, so they left cryptic high and dry. I am impressed with how fast Cryptic recovered from what looked like a very bad situation.

in case everybody missed it... Microsoft has an incredibly BAD track record with MMOs...

...they've canceled every single one they start...

Along with Champions though, Cryptic seemingly landed Star Trek!

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I haven't done a lot of research on the title and the only thing I have seen is the gameplay video, But I can say the video didn't impress me at all. The gameplay seems nearly identical to City of Heroes and the graphics are meh.

Once again, do some reading because obviously you don't know anything about the combat system if you think it's the same as AOC. AOC's combat was arrow-key mashing, it really wasn't immersive. From what I've read, Champions will have nothing like that.

So enlighten us then.  How are you going to do the so called "real time" combat?  Wave your fists at the screen?

I don't understand, do you have some sort of grudge against Cryptic?

I have nothing against Cryptic at all.  I do have a problem with bad games.

• WrithWrith Member Posts: 85

Combat is more interms of punch kick block dodge. The developers say they prefer to play the game with controllers rather then keyboards. You use endurance to use your powers, there are various ways to build it up.

The end can be built up in various ways. There is of course a system kinda like rage (hit and get hit) or if you are fire themed you can choose to make it so that the more things that are on fire the your end ticks up etc. Endurance can trigger various types of powers such as automatically triggering an aura that has an effect on people around you (hurting or healing) or just access to more powerful moves or attacks.  With combat you will have to judge whether or not it is best to block or dodge an attack, this also is heavily judged by your defensive power, if you pick one.

You could choose resist which means you take hits and shrug them off. Super Reflexes so you can dodge attacks easily. Forcefield, which will mitigate damage heavily at the start of a fight but then taper off as it is worn down. Regeneration, which will allow you to heal from injury. Offense, you can use things in your environment, picking up cars and the like and tossing them at your enemy or just using them a weapon (depending on if you have super strength). There are also ranged attacks which I doubt I have to explain.

Another differing factor would be that there are items in the game rather then the enhancement system and while the items aren't all about the stats and are mostly for looks, some of them will grant you new powers. Nothing like finding a magic hammer that makes you a god of Thunder

As far as them treading familiar ground. Fantasy has been done a lot, sci fi while not as much is actually being addressed. The Super hero market only has one game so I think bring more options to the table for those of us that want to play as a super hero is a good thing.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by Milky So pretty much two big companies ran away from this game, ran far and ran fast. 

It's the Superman/Batman fanbois. I've been seeing it all over. They are so excited about the one button Batman feature of DCUO that they get all hot in the pants when they think about it, so of course no other superhero MMO can be any good...lol

So enlighten us then.  How are you going to do the so called "real time" combat?  Wave your fists at the screen?

There's an article right on the front page, go read it yourself. Or just keep trolling, either way I don't care.