Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Card?

mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

Alright, I've really been wanting to play some MMO's that look fun to me. But, I have a new computer, but it has a HORRID graphics card. I have the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics card. Everything else on my system is phoenominal, just the GFX is pothetic.

I've been wanting to play a game like AoC or Lotro.. But i cant run them.. I can really only run WoW atm, and not even on full settings....

Btw. I have an HP Pavilion a6532f PC. I am 14 years old, and cant get a job atm.

I was really looking for a very cheap graphics card that can run Age of Conan...

(it rly has to be cheap)

Also, What is so outdated on my GfX card right now...

PS: My parents wont support me when it comes to buying anything for the computer.

( it rly has

Comments

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084
    Originally posted by mmorpgmaner

Alright, I've really been wanting to play some MMO's that look fun to me. But, I have a new computer, but it has a HORRID graphics card. I have the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics card. Everything else on my system is phoenominal, just the GFX is pothetic.

I've been wanting to play a game like AoC or Lotro.. But i cant run them.. I can really only run WoW atm, and not even on full settings....

Btw. I have an HP Pavilion a6532f PC. I am 14 years old, and cant get a job atm.
    I was really looking for a very cheap graphics card that can run Age of Conan...

(it rly has to be cheap)

PS: My parents wont support me when it comes to buying anything for the computer.

( it rly has

How cheap is really cheap?  Give me a dollar amount.

• mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

At this moment, i really dont know. But cheap for me, is pretty dang cheap :P... Just shoot some ideas out... (btw people thinking: Well he can play AoC and afford the money, he can get a gfx card.. Thats not the  case).Ty for the quick reply also.

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141080
    ~70 dollars good?

According to newegg:

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 1343MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista

This means your video card has practically no memory and results to using your computer's ram, which causes a dramatic drop in system performance, adding more RAM (I'd recommend 4 gigs) might help with running WoW but the reason it can't run games like AoC or LOTRO is because its one of the first (if not the first) card in the geforce 6 series which launched April 14, 2004. (time to upgrade)

• SirspongySirspongy Member Posts: 66

There are some nVidia cards (Geforce 9600 512mb 128bit) in the $50 range that might play AoC but it would look pretty bad. The comparable ATI card would be the Radeon HD 2400/2600PRO.

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

Minimum for AoC would prolly be a 4850 ($140), you might be able to find a used 8800gt which would let you play on medium setting for like $80.

• Paul22Paul22 Member Posts: 127

(it rly has to be cheap)

( it rly has

I'd look into the post above me (sirspongy), you know whats funny, i used to be a salesman at Circuit City (you can laugh, defunct company)  I knew it was a HP before i read it in the post for some reason HP thinks its good to jam a 6150 into a computer with 8 gigs of ram.  Kinda sad, but finding one for CHEAP will be hard, surf www.newegg.com for awhile get some prices :). Also without droppin big cash i would go with LOTRO just because you will be able to have better performance in that game, happy hunting!

I literally cant get a job. Im on crutches lmao. I broke my ankle and tore my acl >.>

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

If your interested in AoC here is a video optimization guide: conanvault.ign.com/wiki/index.php/Age_of_Conan_Video_Optimization_Guide

It is some fair few months old so you can bet you will get better than stated performance from the numbers there.

They used a 9600 GT. Of course resolution of monitor and rest of system set up plays a part. You could even go for an 8600 GT and see just a bit under.

• Egamst3kEgamst3k Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by luckypotato
    <Mod edit>

<Mod edit>
    Re: OP
    Try the 9600GT, 8800GT, or 4850. You'll probably get the most bang for your buck out of those (particularly the latter 2).

Yes, I am an English Major.

• luckypotatoluckypotato Member Posts: 251

I literally cant get a job. Im on crutches lmao. I broke my ankle and tore my acl >.>

ahh, that has to suck. i feel like an ass now lol. i broke my radius and aulna years ago (at the same time) and i know how it feels to break a bone..

Anyway. Id go with one of the 8800's depending on your price range, altho you wont be able to play max resolution, somewhere around med's.

Also: you have to remember GPU's put out more heat then CPU's, you might want to make sure you have addicuate cooling. If you dont just mod your case and install another 120mm case fan, you dont want your expensive GPU to over-heat and crash.

P.S.: If you do install another 120mm fan i reccomend placing it at the top towards the front for ease of installation and max airflow.

P.S.S. Go to Newegg.com to buy all your hardware.. best prices, best customer service

goodluck :]

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

See if you can find a used 8800 GTS. It will get you high end medium settings on most games and, if down the line you want to upgrade, you can try to get another to slap in their in SLi.

I've been running dual core 3ghz, 4 gigs of ram and dual 880 gts and can run LoTRO, EQ2 and AoC on max*

* DISCLAIMER = Have some issues in places with a lot of water in EQ2

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

(it rly has to be cheap)

( it rly has

By doing a quick search, I find that your computer has a 250W power supply. Unfortunately, this will drastically limit the available cards.

Best I can suggest is either an 8600GT, or a 2600XT. They both will run between $50-$70 US.

But even these may be too much for your PSU.

Good Luck.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, your GFX card really sucks. But there is of course some cheap cards that will do the trick. Here is a benchmark test of the acceptable cards, higher is better.

For AoC (BTW, AoC is 18, get your parents permission before starting to play, it do have some blood and guts) I would choose a Nvidia card, they perform better there than ATI (and the opposite is true of some other game however).

I think I would go for a 8600 or 9600 if I were you, they are good enough to run the game on medium and very cheap. With some luck you might find an 8800 cheap too, it is a lot better but hard to find, particulary cheap.

And Check so you don't have a AGP port on your motherboard, in that case the best cards are 7900 and 7950, the MBbuss cant take any more. AGP cards are pretty expensive today, they are easy to find second hand but used cards without warranty can have issues. Hopefully you have a PCI-E port like the rest of us but you never know.

Another cheap fix is to uppgrade RAM, it doesn't make as much difference as a GFX card but is still a good investment, particulary if you have some empty slots on your MB. RAM is really cheap right now

Good luck with it, I reccomend a summer job this summer to get a new computer.

Edit: Just saw respits post about your power supply unit. Don't get anything with a fan, 8600 is the best without changing it. In worst case you could get a 8400 card, toms hardware list price is 30 bucks (half the 8600). Not as good but it should still run AoC on a custom setting betweenmed and low.

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by Egamst3k

<Mod edit>

<Mod edit>
    Re: OP
    Try the 9600GT, 8800GT, or 4850. You'll probably get the most bang for your buck out of those (particularly the latter 2).

I pity you for living in a country without a proper healthcare or education system.

If it's just because you want to play AoC, I suggest your go to your local netcafe and try out a trial there, after 10minutes you will regret you ever took the trip to try it out.

Stick with WoW. Even on the lowest settings it's better than any game out there. Besides the rating is 16 or something on AoC, so you arent allowed to play it anyway :P:P:P

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

ill never have to buy a pc again..ill just upgrade it if needed

So, basicly you keep the can, change the PSU, the CPU, the motherboard, the graphics card, the memorys and the harddrive? My computer have an overclocked quad with GTX 280 card, 3TB HD and 4 gigs ram, 750W power supply and one of A-bits best mother board and I still will get totally new stuff in 2 years, maybe I keep an harddrive or 2 and my soundcard. Uppgrading will prolong the life of a PC but you can't do it forever.

Building a PC is great if you have the skills for it. First you must be able to get the right components (not that easy actually), then you have to build it and install the OS. If you can't do these things your choices are either having a friend help you or getting a pre built one.

I know more than one poor sod that calledme so I had to fix what they messed up when they tried to build a computer, in some cases the components didsn't fit, one guy fried hes MB and in many cases they can't even start it.

And well, it is your money. I have a high end PC because I have a work and therefor can afford stuff. But just getting cash from your dad can backfire, get a part time job or a summerjob and your set. And Egamst3k, being smug to the kids wont help anyone, let him do he's choices and learn from them, that is the only way to grow up.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I don't think you should buy a car when you are a teen.  You have it for what 2 years, then go to college and use it for 3 more years(typically freshman cannot get parking permits for colleges).  After college if you are lucky and get a job, you usually won't have a need for a car until you buy a house.

On graphics cards there are alot of options.  I will just list cards I know are sub $100 that should get you somewhere.  All these card perform about the same so just choose the cheapest one with best reviews:

nVidia

• 8800GT 512MB gDDR3(Not the 256MB version)
    • 8800GTS 512MB gDDR3(Not the 320MB/640MB version)
    • 9600GT 512MB gDDR3(Not the 9600 GSO version, the 256MB version, or gDDR2 version)
    • 9800GT

AMD

• HD2800
    • HD3850/3870
    • HD4650/4670
    • HD4830

Also the nVidia 8600 sucks.  The midrange cards in the 8xxx series were a disapointing line.  It is by no means comparable to the 9600GT.

I can play AoC lmao... :). Ive been gettin into rated R for a couple years alone now ( oh wow im such a badass)..... So what is the BEST card i can get for my power supply and ect.

( btw... Luckypotatoes or whateveer... You really are underweight :P )

Oh.. And i also pity living in a country with bad healthcare. :) I know its bad, even though im 14.

You still haven't given a figure of how much money you got.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/3DMark06-v1-1-0-3DMark-Score,794.html

This is the list you should go for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131068

Is the best offer I could come up with, that would run AoC etc. (Not very good, but it will run it)

But I wouldn't recommend anything less than:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139017

<Mod edit>

If you would do your research please.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpu_mobo_tech_specs.html

It does have a PCI Express slot. Not 2.0, but that doesnt mattter since they arent in his price range.

The PSU will do just fine...

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2086-7.html

The chart on this page will show you the relative ranking of video cards, but not prices.  The problem is, without a chart like this, you may end up with a card equivalent to what you already have.   As you can see, your card is almost bottom of the barrel.  I play LOTRO with a GeForce 7300 on desktop and 7300 GO in my laptop and don't really have any problems with it.  I've also played EQII on both machines.  Never played WoW. 

HP isn't the only manufacturer that puts low end cards into otherwise sophisticated machines.  The bottom line is that unless you're a gamer, you don't need all that video power.  Gamers have different needs. 

For the games you want to play, look at the minimum and recommended system requirements.  Pick the two highest cards and locate those cards on the above list and then find one that falls within that range or higher.  Hopefully, at least one will be within your price range. 

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

The main problem with getting a new video card is the 250 watt power supply that is in your computer .

That and your price range should limit your choice , most of the cards so far recommended require 400+ PS.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well you are lucky, that model has a PCI Express card slot.  A lot of these cheap computers don't have that.

If you don't have $50-$70 dollars to spend don't bother.  There are alot of good cards out there these days in that price range.  I did not see the 250w power supply in the specs, but if that is what it has, it will severely limit your choices.

At this moment, i have a 50$ visa card.I can probably rake in another 20$... So thats around 70$...

Think i can get what im lookin for?

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I ran a 7950 that ran AoC just fine, and cost <$50. I think 8600 is a good bet if you can find it, and 9600 would be a good value and run it on decent settings. The 9800 low end is $100, 9800 high end around $130 ish.

Asdar

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

At this moment, i have a 50$ visa card.I can probably rake in another 20$... So thats around 70$...

Think i can get what im lookin for?

I would suggest the 8600GT. I run this card in another box, it's by no means a powerhouse, but you should be able to run with mid-range settings without problems. It'll be a vast improvememnt over what you have currently.

8600 GTs    <---- Here's a few.

Like I posted earlier, unless your power supply is putting out at least 26A on the 12V rail(s), you will not be able to run any of the x800 series cards, along with all the 9 series. The 8600 will be pushing it.

Again, good luck.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

Just to hold me over until i buy the 8600 ( im probably gunna go for it because of my power supply )....

I was wonderin if theres any fun Mmo's my system would be able to run. They can be f2p or p2p.. just not WoW.. im bored with it.