Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Apocrypha: New NPC Race, Better AI

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

In a recent Dev Blog entry, CCP's Ytterbium revealed that Apocrypha, the next expansion for EVE Online, will include improved NPC AI and a new NPC race called the Sleepers, who possess the secrets of Tech3 technology.

We have been observing the current strength scale between players and NPCs with watchful eyes for quite some time now. More often than not, PvE interactions in EVE are quite limited, merely consisting of watching the NPC explode after a few volleys. We are not satisfied with that. We want to offer our players true PvE challenge, requiring real team effort and proper gang coordination. We want to give players satisfaction when finally overcoming these PvE situations and reaping the rewards. And of course we want to achieve all of this while giving you the most enjoyment out of it.

That is why for Apocrypha, we are unleashing an ancient race into the universe: the infamous Sleepers, lurking throughout the vast unknowns stretching at the other side of the Wormhole maws. Do not underestimate them, as they will remain radically different from the regular pirate factions you are used to. More often than not, they will give you some substiantial bang for your buck and will require player gang coordination and effort to be dispatched. More details are left for another Dev Blog, but at the moment, know they have comparable player attributes and thus require variations of PvP fits to engage.

Read more here.

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The weakness of Eve's NPC's has always been one of the games lackings.  There is hardly any reason to group for PVE.  They tried adding level V events, but they put them where pirates can easily scan you down and nothing worse than being fit for pve and then suddenly thrust into pvp.

I applaud any effort to increase the difficulty and AI intelligence of any of the NPC's in the game.  At present pve offers very little challenge at all beyond some fights having a large number of weak opponents.

• DanagDanag Member UncommonPosts: 67

Agreed. A more advanced PvE experience will be much appreciated by all.

From time to time everyone finds themselves in an NPC corp, back in high-sec, running missions. For whatever reason; changing corps., taking a break from PvP, or just to fatten up their wallets for a bit.

It'll be nice to experience some PvE action that isn't borderline mind-numbing, :)

-
    Danag

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267

IMO, the game is amazing in its vastness alone. Adding some (1000)additional systems with T3 tech, modular ships, and "walking in stations" this could be the most advanced game to date. I look forward to the next 6 months in EO.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Problem is they don't want to make the ships "smarter", they want it to be like "PvP".

And Eve PvP means groups of people, one a tackler, one the repairer, etc etc. And this means: 

Forced Grouping!

Soloers need not apply to all new content!

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Lol carebears don't need challenge, they need isks. If CCP will make pve like in WoW with building agro and other crap carebears just quit...

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I think this is great, finally lets give the PVErs some challenge.

When I was mining I would get so tired of players telling me they could basically roll their face along the keyboard and make hundreds of million a day doing level IVs.

Its about time Eve added in a challenging aspect to pve and gave Eve a optional group only mission/storyline feature other then level V missions in low sec.

Now lets add some challenge to mining with a revamp and were golden.

Edit: To the person that is compaining about force grouping, Please find another game to play Eve is all about grouping up with corpmates. I think it will be great if to succed in these new missions we would need a Heavy Tackler, Dps and logistics along with fleet bonuses just to get through them. As long as its all optional like everything else in Eve im fine with it.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum