Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: 3.0.8 Death Knight Changes

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

New MMORPG.com World of Warcraft Correspondent Darry Huskey writes this article on the changes made to Death Knights with the recent 3.0.8 Patch

WoW  Screenshot

For better or worse, Death Knights received some major overhauls in Patch 3.0.8. What do these changes mean for your Death Knight? Let's take a look at the patch notes together and spot some of the design changes in store for your character. Be aware that this isn't a comprehensive list; rather, this is the highlights. You can find the full list of Test Realm changes listed at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/test-realm-patchnotes.html

Read 3.0.8 Death Knight Changes

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

  • BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341

    I am just so glad I quit this game and no longer play it.The Lich King Expansion has not been out that long and already they are making changes to classes.I should have quit WoW when BC launched:P

  • NishnigNishnig Member Posts: 8

    Rune of the two-handed weapon only cannot give dual-weilders a 4% stamina buff, on account of how it can only be placed on two-handed weapons and Death Knights can't get titan's grip (unless I missed that change in the patch notes). A lot of the changes made were clearly intended to steer (force) tank-minded death knights towards two-handed weapons and at the same time weaken dual-wielders ability to tank.

     

    It's better for Blizzard to recognize and fix things that are clearly broken, rather than wait 6 to 9 months. The expansion is new, that's why making changes now, before people get too used to them is actually the preferred course of action.

  • gan3fgan3f Member UncommonPosts: 274

    Howling blast  was changed to a 5 sec CD instead of a 6.

  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,803

    The majority of these changes(nerfs, "balances") are in response to the hysterical howling of the caster classes in PvP.   But it was only to be expected.  Blizzard has yet to comprehend that swinging the nerf bat around violently, would be much less  necessary if talents had different PvP and PvE aspects. But I must say that its been very entertaining watching the casters going in to hysterical fits of over the last few months.

    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235

    Meh, I haven't played a Death Knight yet.. I'm just a semi-nerfed Warlock. And I don't PvP, so I don't call for nerfs. After all with my alt-itus, I play every class. [I'm not at 55 yet, so no DKs for me.]

    What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

  • BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Nishnig


    Rune of the two-handed weapon only cannot give dual-weilders a 4% stamina buff, on account of how it can only be placed on two-handed weapons and Death Knights can't get titan's grip (unless I missed that change in the patch notes). A lot of the changes made were clearly intended to steer (force) tank-minded death knights towards two-handed weapons and at the same time weaken dual-wielders ability to tank.
     
    It's better for Blizzard to recognize and fix things that are clearly broken, rather than wait 6 to 9 months. The expansion is new, that's why making changes now, before people get too used to them is actually the preferred course of action.



     

    It is better for Blizzard to recognize and fix things that are clearly broken before they release the product.People say Blizzard can do no wrong that they release finished products and that may be true in the past,but not now.It does not matter to me anyway as I am done with that game anyway.I will say that IMO Lich King really stinks and that by making it soooo easy was just stupid and in a short time it will show as folks begin to see they no longer have things to do anymore.

  • rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

    Clearly theperson who wrote this up has little to no clue about what they are talking about. The DK changes were slight balances for broken OP builds, a few tweaks for tanking, and a minor change some PvP survivability.

     

    Overhaul, not even close. Minor changes, yes.

     

    The MMORPG writers really need to do their research or at least take some time to experience what they are commenting on. It's getting kind of sad.

  • actionfitzactionfitz Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by rmk70


    Clearly theperson who wrote this up has little to no clue about what they are talking about. The DK changes were slight balances for broken OP builds, a few tweaks for tanking, and a minor change some PvP survivability.
     
    Overhaul, not even close. Minor changes, yes.
     
    The MMORPG writers really need to do their research or at least take some time to experience what they are commenting on. It's getting kind of sad.

     

    Funny how the terms 'broken' and 'overpowered' are only ever thrown about when people refer to classes other than what they prefer to play themselves.

    I'll tell you what's sad.

    sweaping changes to what is still the premier PVE game around because of hysterical teens crying about PVP. It's sad that what was billed as a 'hero class' is quickly being watered down towards irrelevancy. Pretty much the only 'Heroic' thing left is the 55 level boost on character creation and the stupid 1 DK per server rule.

    Rather than design a system that works and stick to their guns, blizzard just rotate their nerf bat around so we get this constant - you're OP! /  NO U!!  / You are!! / nope its you again blah blah...

     

    Really cant wait for a game with the courage to do away with classes and just let people do what feels natural right out of the box. when anyone at any time can tank dps or heal we really will be 'bringing the player and not the class' as blizzards reps are so fond of saying.

     

  • googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

    i would say the pve side of wow is pretty healthy at the moment but its pvp is definatly broken at present .  its nothing to do with weather of your a caster or not and how good a player you are anymore . i personally play a hunter , warrior , warlock and  rogue . i imagine for some playing a rogue and knowing you can kill pretty much any other class you attack first is fun , personally for me its not at all rewarding . i returned to the lich king with the intention of leveling all my characters and staying in game for at least six  months but uppn leveling a couple of characters i saw how appalling the pvp endgame is . so i left . i ll proberbly have a look in and see what the games like sometime in the summer . although given blizzards past record i dont expect to see many improvments

    warcraft is most certainly in its worst state in 4 years and they really need to sort out 1. awful lag when theres any significant world pvp 2.horrendous class imblances 3. battle ground pvp rewards so people start playing them again 4. reducing the burst  damage .

  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

     

    I am always amused when classes are balanced in games.  The proponents whine because they have lost a distinct edge they had while those that play the other classes moan that it was not enough.

    Personally I think Blizzard does a pretty job of balancing for both pve and pvp.  It is a hard task to do considing the differences between the two.  Computer AI still is not that challenging, although the day is coming when it will be.

  • fuzzbrainfuzzbrain Member Posts: 70


    <Mod edit>

    <Mod edit>

    Have you looked into Perfect World International? Love that game and its free!

  • googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866
    Originally posted by Ozmodan


     
    I am always amused when classes are balanced in games.  The proponents whine because they have lost a distinct edge they had while those that play the other classes moan that it was not enough.
    Personally I think Blizzard does a pretty job of balancing for both pve and pvp.  It is a hard task to do considing the differences between the two.  Computer AI still is not that challenging, although the day is coming when it will be.



     

    of course theres bound to be some class imabalances in any mmo , its the nature of these things . the problem is when it becomes so bad that some class are virtually superpowered compared to other s that  the pvp system is essentially broken .

    very few people would say blizzard are doing a good job at balancing the pvp content of the game at present .in the past it has been ok  . it may be again in the future but as it stands at this time wows pvp is terrible . dont take my word for it look through these forums , theres countless posts saying the same thing

    oh and if you do play wow check out your guild chat or world chat you ll see plenty of  people complaining about it . i know lots of players that i never thought would leave wow that have given up in the past month because of these issues .

     

Sign In or Register to comment.