Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does Eve have such a GREAT community? I will tell you!

BiggusRiggusBiggusRiggus Member UncommonPosts: 126

it is funny to read these trolls. I have been playing five weeks. After playing 4 other MMOs over the last 4 years. You can tell the OPs that do not play the game beyond: Make a toon - get in your Ibis - leave hangar - shoot a Raven - get owned by Concord - talk smack in Rookie Chat - exit game. Then they come here and complain about the game.

By the time I had completed the tutorial (2 hours maybe) and a couple of missions, I got invited to a Corp (day 1) and have been there ever since. It is the MOST mature, and the BEST community I have ever been a part of! If you join a Corp, you can easily partake in ops with players who have been in game for years. You just need to know your part. This game is about Corps, business, warfare, espionage, and piracy... huh, kinda like the real world... which takes thinking, intel, planning, and communcation like the real world.

I can give you an example. I have heard complaints about the lack of combat action or how long the hunt is... a figter pilot may wait years for a single real engagement which AT MOST lasts 2 minutes!

If you want instant gratification, then you will not like this game. And that is fine. But don't use it as a complaint. Teh lack of instant gratification is why the community is so awesome. It keeps the community mature.

A lot of people complain here about the time sink waiting to skill up. Yes, I have spent the last five weeks skilling up toons on three different accounts training nothing but Learning skills. I estimate my time to reach my first set of goals at about a year. Next week I start training toward two Hulks and an Itty5 which will net me LOTS of isk while my Manufacturing skills work up on 1, and my combat skills work up on another... etc, etc. YES these things are BORING! But you know what! I have something to look forward to in an MMO. And I actually enjoy mining ops with my Corp to pass the time and LEARN! I have looked forward to 3 MMO releases in the past year and they all FLOPPED! Here I have something that I enjoy and I know it works.

For instand gratification, go play COD or Team Fortress, or even WoW these days. If you want to learn about EvE, do the turorials, join a Corp, and LEARN! I have been playing 5 weeks and I am constantly learning new things that are more awesome every day! In all honesty if it wasn't for my Corp I probably would have stopped playing! But they are a great International bunch of people and no one has EVER been rude! That is why I play!

Comments

• dterrydterry Member Posts: 449

Amen.

I would simply say: If you never joined a CORP in EVE, you never played EVE.

The whole, "it takes a year to start playing the game" goes out the window the first time your CORP invites you to fly your frigate on anti-frigate ops in a level 4 mission or put you in a T1 pvp frig in 0.0 to help out with a wardec they are fighting through.

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

If you want instant gratification, then you will not like this game.

If you like paying money to be sub-par for extremely long periods of time.  If you want a game that will let you NEVER EVER catch up to the folks who've been playing prior to you, regardless of how much effort you put in, EvE may be for you.

The community was why I left EvE.  You folks keep saying how great everyone is.  I spent 2 weeks in game and saw one asshole after another in chat.  Evidently none of you were playing and all of them were...or this is all just bs pushed by fanbois.

The game is beautiful.  But that's the only thing I can say good about it.  Gameplay was boring as hell.  Travel times were longer than was fun.  Missions / PVE content =- boring as hell.

If you like PVE don't bother with EvE

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

im sorry you didnt enjoy eve, best of luck in your new game.

but you have managed to pretty much just list most of the misconceptions about eve.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by dsebutchr

If you like paying money to be sub-par for extremely long periods of time.  If you want a game that will let you NEVER EVER catch up to the folks who've been playing prior to you, regardless of how much effort you put in, EvE may be for you.
    The community was why I left EvE.  You folks keep saying how great everyone is.  I spent 2 weeks in game and saw one asshole after another in chat.  Evidently none of you were playing and all of them were...or this is all just bs pushed by fanbois.
    The game is beautiful.  But that's the only thing I can say good about it.  Gameplay was boring as hell.  Travel times were longer than was fun.  Missions / PVE content =- boring as hell.
    If you like PVE don't bother with EvE

Quoting player who
    a) Never left the new player corp
    b) Probably never asked for help in rookie chat
    c) Probably never left the newbie systems
    d) Used Autopilot instead of using warp-to-zero
    e) Obviously didn't train any navigation skills.
    ---------------------------------

If you don't take/make the time to TRY to learn EVE you won't ever 'get' EVE.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

If the first 2 weeks are boring as hell, you don't want to 'get' EvE because you've realized that EvE sucks.

I sure as hell didn't want to pay for it after being that bored.

your corpmates tried to blow you up and you think this is normal?

can we please not drag up the "never catch up" thing AGAIN?

some people seem to have some bad experiences, but mostly these seem to be down to misconceptions or mistakes they made. some people have met bad apples, but most people in EVE are actually decent people.

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

Yeah, EVE's PvP community is the absolute worst!  I'll give an example that happened just last night.

One of my corpmates, in a Vexor, found a Jaguar, ratting in our home system.  The Vexor pounced, locked, then blew up the jaguar.

The smack that ensued is quite telling of the low quality of player that makes up the EVE community:

Victim> Good fight (corpies name)

Corpmate> Yeah, same

It is things like this that give the EVE PvP community such a bad name.  In what other game would you find such an immature exchange as this?

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I spent the last 2 months playing Eve and a majority of it was spent with a Corp that pretty much begged me to join them. Sure, the Corp was mature for the most part, except for the constant attacks made by fellow corpmates trying to blow your ship up. (leave the corp... no one has ever attacked me from my Corp unless we agreed to do some PVP training) Yes folks, only in Eve can you find such stupidity when it comes to game tactics.
    You thought DAoC was bad with realm spies, well, Eve is full of asshats that enjoy joining corps and then dismantling you from the inside out by destroying your newly built or purchased Orca's. (yes, espionage and sabotage is part of the game, EVE is not a friendly place - be careful who you trust. If you don't like this game mechanic then play another game and stop whining)
    Eve has a mature community? Older community, yes. Mature? Not so much. Eve was and still is a gankfest ridden game. (It's a PVP game remember?) Of course, you can't expect much more than that from a PvP game. (But apparently you just did????) Apparently smack talk is a necessity because veteran players keep trying to tell everyone a 2 year vet can still be outgunned or outmanuevered by a week old rookie. (Yes, they can and I have personally seen it - get caught in the wrong ship at the wrong time and you are toast) I have yet to see that happen, but don't worry, veterans will continue to spew that crap forever. How else can you convince new players to join the game if they were under the impression that they'd never be as good (combat skills don't take that long to train if you focus on them from the start and ignore crafting/mining or have alts for that) as someone who's been in game a few more years then them.
    Eve in itself is a beautiful well thought out game. With a few major hiccups concerning gameplay, which benefit veterans over rookies, along with the not so mature community, (every MMO community qualifies for that statement - find a CORP that doesn't attack you [wtf - never seen anyone stay in a CORP after that????] and ignore the jerks - better yet, get your corpmates and blow their asses up) Eve is a pretty decent game. Than again, you could say the same thing about any MMO.

Sorry, don't mean to be so harsh but I am sick of people blasting this stuff across the forums. The game has a free trial, go play another game if you don't like it. Seriously... you stayed in a CORP that attacked you?

Here's a little truth about rokkies:

I belong to a low sec pirate corp.  The training branch of our corp has no SP restrictions for joining and we have less than week old members joining fairly regularly.  These members live almost exclusively in low sec space and participate in PvP on a regular basis.  And, they win their share of fights.

The simple fact is, especially if they join a corp, brand new players can play a meaningful role in brining down cruisers, battlecruisers, even battleships.

Recently, a gang in our corp, consisting of one Assault Frigate, 2 T1 frigates, and an interceptor, took down an Navy Raven.

Conventional wisdom says we all should have been killed, and if EVE were a conventional game we probably would have been.  But this is not a conventional game, this is EVE.

1) Of course it's not the norm, doesn't matter. The point is, Eve is the only game retarded enough to have a system that allows it.

EVE is a cold, dark and harsh place, you should feel slightly afraid when logging in. <- paraphrase of one of the EVE devs.

2) We'll stop dragging up the conversation that rookies can never catch up, when rookies can actually catch up. Until such time, stop lying to people saying 1 week rookies can be as good as 2-5 year vets.

i say this every time, my newbie pvp alt is having no trouble fighting 3 year vets. skill points are not levels, skill points are options.

3) So, because people make a mistake, lose 2 weeks worth of isk, it's just bad luck or their fault for not reading 100 hours worth of tips that span the greater world web. Seriously, Eve is nothing more than a gankers wet dream and 90% of your so called mature community in fact want nothing more than to see some idiot newb reflip their cargo can or shoot at them cause they targeted them in concord space. Eve is not new player friendly and never will be, end of story.

i have been respectful to you, or at least tried to be. you seem to want to sling insults around, so i really have to ask who the mature player is here. not everyone who plays eve is a ganker, not everyone gets their jollies by can flipping newbs. im sorry that eve was too harsh for you, but thats the way we like it, nice and harsh. eve has always been a niche game and will never make the mainstream, but is still growing.

i tried WAR btw, it wasnt gritty enough for me, i got really tired of being flamed for not healing in scenarios and watching the enemy just run up to me after being killed. but you'll notice that im not over in the WAR forum calling people griefers and insinuating that they get hard when killing newbies.

Originally posted by Eschiava

Yeah, EVE's PvP community is the absolute worst!  I'll give an example that happened just last night.
    One of my corpmates, in a Vexor, found a Jaguar, ratting in our home system.  The Vexor pounced, locked, then blew up the jaguar.
    The smack that ensued is quite telling of the low quality of player that makes up the EVE community:

Victim> Good fight (corpies name)
    Corpmate> Yeah, same

It is things like this that give the EVE PvP community such a bad name.  In what other game would you find such an immature exchange as this?

Trust me, I've seen alternate endings to such scenarios. Sugar coating your community with one possible outcome from a PvP battle is not helping your cause.

You are cherry picking incedents from one extreme.  Am I not allowed to show examples from the other?

To be honest, I seldom see smack of the type you refer to, and I am in a very competitive area of low sec all the time.

Originally posted by dterry

I spent the last 2 months playing Eve and a majority of it was spent with a Corp that pretty much begged me to join them. Sure, the Corp was mature for the most part, except for the constant attacks made by fellow corpmates trying to blow your ship up. (leave the corp... no one has ever attacked me from my Corp unless we agreed to do some PVP training) Yes folks, only in Eve can you find such stupidity when it comes to game tactics.
    You thought DAoC was bad with realm spies, well, Eve is full of asshats that enjoy joining corps and then dismantling you from the inside out by destroying your newly built or purchased Orca's. (yes, espionage and sabotage is part of the game, EVE is not a friendly place - be careful who you trust. If you don't like this game mechanic then play another game and stop whining)
    Eve has a mature community? Older community, yes. Mature? Not so much. Eve was and still is a gankfest ridden game. (It's a PVP game remember?) Of course, you can't expect much more than that from a PvP game. (But apparently you just did????) Apparently smack talk is a necessity because veteran players keep trying to tell everyone a 2 year vet can still be outgunned or outmanuevered by a week old rookie. (Yes, they can and I have personally seen it - get caught in the wrong ship at the wrong time and you are toast) I have yet to see that happen, but don't worry, veterans will continue to spew that crap forever. How else can you convince new players to join the game if they were under the impression that they'd never be as good (combat skills don't take that long to train if you focus on them from the start and ignore crafting/mining or have alts for that) as someone who's been in game a few more years then them.
    Eve in itself is a beautiful well thought out game. With a few major hiccups concerning gameplay, which benefit veterans over rookies, along with the not so mature community, (every MMO community qualifies for that statement - find a CORP that doesn't attack you [wtf - never seen anyone stay in a CORP after that????] and ignore the jerks - better yet, get your corpmates and blow their asses up) Eve is a pretty decent game. Than again, you could say the same thing about any MMO.

Sorry, don't mean to be so harsh but I am sick of people blasting this stuff across the forums. The game has a free trial, go play another game if you don't like it. Seriously... you stayed in a CORP that attacked you?

Don't apologize for being an elitist, you would never be a Eve fanboy if you weren't. By the way, 677 hours spent playing Eve, so I think I know atleast a little bit about the game. MY experience has good points and that is fine and dandy, but when a discussion comes up about Eve community being mature, hell to the no, it's far from it.

Sure, I may find some game mechanics in Eve to be nothing more than childish forms of gameplay, feeding the ganker frenzy, so what, I'm entitled to my opinion. From my 12 year MMO experience, 5000+ hours of gameplay and 30 or so MMO's, I can and will tell you right now, Eve community is by far not the most mature. Is it more mature than say WoW? Absolutely, but it's definately not in my top 5 for most mature communities.

I am a Fanboi of no game, I just get sick of trolls and that's how you came across. By the way, I have no idea how many hours I have played online but I have been in MMO's since EQ1 so don't try to hit me over the head with your experience. I simply argue that EVE is no worse then any other PVP MMO. Some of the PVE MMO's like FFXI or LOTRO are better but what do you expect in a co-op environment?

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

the only people i hate in game are the gate camping, hq camping mercs.....lowlifes if you will....but other than that, the community treats me well :)

well, i think you're wrong on that front too. my alliance is a roleplay alliance, heavily invovled in pvp. thats pretty much all we do.

it contains the best friends i have ever had in an mmo, genuinely wonderful people. anyone who acts like a dick or starts smacktalking in local gets a warning, then booted. ive done some stupid stuff when FCing but you alliancemates will just take it on the chin and grin at me. i guess i got lucky, but anyone who says that the eve community is immature confuses me, because my experience is totally contradictory to that.

• ZANGFEIZANGFEI Member Posts: 439

Eve has a great community because paying players jack into the game "HIT TRAIN" ALT TAB and go watch a movie.  then log onto any other  Free to Play but you must pay to get bank access/story line/bigger bags ect  games....... did i miss anything, yes i know i did.(rofl).

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Hmm lets see "most mature".. just like every .. EVERY other mmo it has crap being talking about in chat.. some of the  stuff they get away with is just awful. I played EVE for a while and please.. its not hard to learn its nothing more than you like the game so you play it. Dont  piss on others that dont and then make them look stupid for NOT wanting to play it. Its a OLD mmo.. people love SWG, EQ, Vanguard , War and LMAO EVE is not complicated. 

Just a HINT..its not a good idea to start the 1st line with TROLL in it. You lose alot of readers. You want others to read how fun EVE is. The best you well get is people that already play the game. You would have better luck talking in chat in game haha..

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    Originally posted by dsebutchr  

this image pwn you

BestSigEver :P

Don't apologize for being an elitist, you would never be a Eve fanboy if you weren't. By the way, 677 hours spent playing Eve, so I think I know atleast a little bit about the game. MY experience has good points and that is fine and dandy, but when a discussion comes up about Eve community being mature, hell to the no, it's far from it.

Sure, I may find some game mechanics in Eve to be nothing more than childish forms of gameplay, feeding the ganker frenzy, so what, I'm entitled to my opinion. From my 12 year MMO experience, 5000+ hours of gameplay and 30 or so MMO's, I can and will tell you right now, Eve community is by far not the most mature. Is it more mature than say WoW? Absolutely, but it's definately not in my top 5 for most mature communities.

I am a Fanboi of no game, I just get sick of trolls and that's how you came across. By the way, I have no idea how many hours I have played online but I have been in MMO's since EQ1 so don't try to hit me over the head with your experience. I simply argue that EVE is no worse then any other PVP MMO. Some of the PVE MMO's like FFXI or LOTRO are better but what do you expect in a co-op environment?

Just in case your wondering, the discussion is about Eve having one of the most mature communities in the MMO industry. There is no specification of PvP MMO's or Hardcore Elitist MMO's, but overall. So, with that being said, if you can honestly sit their and type Eve has one of the best and most mature communities, go ahead, cause I just can't agree with that.

Just in case you're wondering, the discussion is NOT about Eve having one of the most mature communities in the MMO industry. It is about the OP's experience in game with his particular CORP and his description of the community as a "great" community and one of the best "he/she"  has been a part of.

And I will say that the portion of the EVE community that I have interacted with (or regularly interact with now) is one of the best I have ever experienced. Every game has it's fair share of idiots and EVE is no different, I think we might both agree that PVP centric games are going to have more jerks because their is far more opportunity for smack talk. But, I have had run-ins  with those jerks in every game I have ever played.

And I am fine if you disagree, you probably just ran into more, or maybe just different, idiots from me. It happens on the internet. I'd argue that these forums (all of them) are far worse than the online community in EVE.

Lastly... I don't consider either EVE or myself to be elitist, but thanks (twice) for the pot-shot.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I've attacked my own corpies and they've done the same.   Granted it's not a case of hahahah easy pirating it's more of a case of hahahah we're in high sec now so a "ding" on your shield doesn't mean anything.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

To be more accurate, you have 667 hours of opinion, not proof.

In all honesty, I am sorry that your opinion of the community is so low.  I have probably played for about the same number of hours than you but my opinion of the community is far different from yours.  I just do not, and have not, seen many of the things you are talking about, except in a few, very isolated cases. 

Was I very lucky?  Or were you very unlucky?

I guess each player will have to decide that from his or her own experience, won't they?

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by BiggusRiggus

it is funny to read these trolls. I have been playing five weeks. After playing 4 other MMOs over the last 4 years. You can tell the OPs that do not play the game beyond: Make a toon - get in your Ibis - leave hangar - shoot a Raven - get owned by Concord - talk smack in Rookie Chat - exit game. Then they come here and complain about the game.
    By the time I had completed the tutorial (2 hours maybe) and a couple of missions, I got invited to a Corp (day 1) and have been there ever since. It is the MOST mature, and the BEST community I have ever been a part of! If you join a Corp, you can easily partake in ops with players who have been in game for years. You just need to know your part. This game is about Corps, business, warfare, espionage, and piracy... huh, kinda like the real world... which takes thinking, intel, planning, and communcation like the real world.

This is how I find most of the Eve community too.  There are indeed the rabid frothers, who love to heap scorn on others in  the chat channels, and who usually favour text containing lots of capital letters and exclamation marks, but you find those in every game.  Smile at them and just ignore them.

What you describe in your first paragraph is virtually spot on.  Whilst mining to a can  with a spare battlecruiser, some player in a frigate attacked me, so I crushed him like a piece of paper and kept on mining.  He came back 3 more times, getting more and more furious in chat.  He was raving that it sucked that someone in a frigate couldn't take out a "harmless mining ship"  :D  When someone else pointed out that his dinky little ship would make a nice hood ornament for my ship, he just went on to pile hate on the game, then, mercifully, he left, never to return.

Another guy had me roaring with laughter, all because he just didn't bother to consider what he was actually doing.  He asked in chat if he could get his ship replaced if he put in a petition, because it had been destroyed through no fault of his own.  It emerged that he'd just bought a shiny new ECM module and being eager to try it out, he'd undocked and fired it up just outside the station!  We all had to laugh at that one, because he'd initiated a hostile action just outside the station's doors, but yet again, he blamed the game, not himself.  The fact that he'd bought something without reading up on what it did, and thus paid the inevitable penalty for stupidity, just didn't seem to register with him at all.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

Ive always thought that Eve had a great community. There are always rectums but every game has them. I think the community isnt really the problem from readiung some of the OP's thread respones its  dumb critisism of the game itself.

If you dont like the gameplay go play another game where you can hold your stuff as tightly to your chest as possible.

Again if you think this game's community is bad wait till the Eve naysayers play Darkfall if or when it comes out! It'll be far worse there.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Xennith

your corpmates tried to blow you up and you think this is normal?
    can we please not drag up the "never catch up" thing AGAIN?

some people seem to have some bad experiences, but mostly these seem to be down to misconceptions or mistakes they made. some people have met bad apples, but most people in EVE are actually decent people.

1) Of course it's not the norm, doesn't matter. The point is, Eve is the only game retarded enough to have a system that allows it.

2) We'll stop dragging up the conversation that rookies can never catch up, when rookies can actually catch up. Until such time, stop lying to people saying 1 week rookies can be as good as 2-5 year vets.

3) So, because people make a mistake, lose 2 weeks worth of isk, it's just bad luck or their fault for not reading 100 hours worth of tips that span the greater world web. Seriously, Eve is nothing more than a gankers wet dream and 90% of your so called mature community in fact want nothing more than to see some idiot newb reflip their cargo can or shoot at them cause they targeted them in concord space. Eve is not new player friendly and never will be, end of story.

actually rookies can catch up

battlecruiser lvl 5 from a rookie has the same stats as the battlecruiser lvl 5 from the vets. and the vet can't get a lvl 6 because there is no lvl 6. so there is  a cap.

give me 1 year and ill be able to fit a raven battleship equally if not better than a 4 year vet. the only difference is that the vet may have social skills, industrial skills and corporation management skills more than me, though those skills are kind of useless in a pvp fight.

whats the point in being able to fly a destroyer when you are piloting a interceptor?

so i would say at one time one may use a limited amount of skills that does not represent the total skills a player has

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    Originally posted by Eschiava

Yeah, EVE's PvP community is the absolute worst! 

I think Counterstrike's community probably wins that award.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    Originally posted by Squal'Zell

actually rookies can catch up
    battlecruiser lvl 5 from a rookie has the same stats as the battlecruiser lvl 5 from the vets. and the vet can't get a lvl 6 because there is no lvl 6. so there is  a cap.
    give me 1 year and ill be able to fit a raven battleship equally if not better than a 4 year vet. the only difference is that the vet may have social skills, industrial skills and corporation management skills more than me, though those skills are kind of useless in a pvp fight.
    whats the point in being able to fly a destroyer when you are piloting a interceptor?
    so i would say at one time one may use a limited amount of skills that does not represent the total skills a player has

Which means if he loses he can replace that ship far quicker than you. The penalty for him is vastly lighter than the penalty for you. Why? Because he has played the game longer.

In fact he may even return in another premade (and quite possibly vastly superior) ship and just take revenge upon you. Or he may just call upon his 4 year established network of mates to turn up and gank you for your trouble.

If you want to look at the game in the just the very limited perspective of 2 evenly matched ships fighting eachother then yes it is perfectly balanced. But this game does not encourage evenly matched duels. There are no level capped PvP arena's or instances like in WoW. No dueling system.

More relavently that it takes you an entire year before you can hold your own against a more established player (and then only in a very contrived scenario) is precisely the point everyone is making.

Do you really think a game that requires you to invest a year of your time to achieve a limited competative parity is a well balanced one?

That's the shortfall of Eve's PvP. Every system has it's strengths and weaknesses, that is Eve's weakness.