Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Does Eve Attract Such A Horrible Forum Community?

13»

Comments

• dethgardethgar Member Posts: 293
    Originally posted by Kordesh

I know the first thing going through your mind is , but this is an honest question here so bare with me. 
    While granted, in-game, there are some lovely and helpful people in Eve, especially the folks in Eve Uni. That being said however, even a cursory look on the forums here or even on the official forums and you find the same recurring hostilities from just about everyone.
    - "THE GAME IS FINE AS IT IS NOOB!" (generally yelling in tone, often to a simple suggestion that doesn't even have anything to do with altering the game, just simply something different.)
    - General overuse of the outmoded term "Carebare" at every opportunity
    - The "EVE isn't FOR YOU!" attitude that is found at LEAST once any time someone has a problem with ANYTHING in the game.
    - The general census that you don't NEED alts, but you're considered insignificant without one.
    - Unreasonable obsession with touting how much "SKILLZ!" they have because Eve is apparently so "HARDCOREZ!" Yes, I'm exagerating, but it's no less rediculous than the idiots who pat themselves on the back about this every five seconds.
    - Obsession with virtual wealth. IE: The generally accepted goal of the game is "Who has the most isk wins."
    Basically, what I'm trying to get at is, why is it that the Eve community reacts to everything, especially questions, with outright hostility and general distain. Is it because theres an over abundant amount of scammers attracted to the game since its essentially a "feature" and thus the community has been flooded by "Trolls in Spaaaaaaaace" or is there some other unknown explination. I really can't rationalize it outside of there being some kind of subtext on all these ads I see around mentioning "asshats only."  
    I say this because I'll admit, what CCP has created is amazing. There never will be another game quite like Eve. However, it's hard to get over the few annoyances in the game and learn to love it, when the community immidiately sours the whole thing by being so horribly insular and hostile to anyone that isn't part of the already established clique who, another favorite phrase, ""get" Eve." 
    I'm expecting more of the same, but please, if anyone could kindly explain, I would appreciate it. I know I'm rather harsh on the game, but honestly, it's mostly all reactionary from having to listen to some of the endless and repeating drivel being posted about the game and the community constantly patting itself on the back with Eves trademark sense of eliteism. 

I'll answer your question with a question.

What online game in todays world isn't about being elite, griefing others, and releasing the anger of your personal life, to some extent? Children's games excluded.

•  

I know the first thing going through your mind is , but this is an honest question here so bare with me. 
    While granted, in-game, there are some lovely and helpful people in Eve, especially the folks in Eve Uni. That being said however, even a cursory look on the forums here or even on the official forums and you find the same recurring hostilities from just about everyone.
    - "THE GAME IS FINE AS IT IS NOOB!" (generally yelling in tone, often to a simple suggestion that doesn't even have anything to do with altering the game, just simply something different.)
    -Sandcastles built in sandboxes are fragile,the denizens of EvE are paranoid in the extreme of a misplaced foot or finger. Due the sandbox nature of EvE,much of the game is considered proprietary of the playerbase and just like in real life it simply bad form for the "new guy" to be overly vocal or to challenge the status quo. You have to be tough and resourceful and bully your way into the sandbox if you want to play.
    -Because "Hello Kitty Online---->" simply doesn't do the job of inflating the e-peen effiecenlty enough for those prone to throw the term around.
    - The "EVE isn't FOR YOU!" attitude that is found at LEAST once any time someone has a problem with ANYTHING in the game.
    -The Iroquois tribes of New York state had a tradition of making strangers"Run the Gauntlet" if you survived and were stoic after the event you were afforded respect and a voice. So it is in EvE.  The ability to solve your own problems and provide for yourself are highly prized traits in EvE. Weakness whether real or perceived is held in high contempt.
    - The general census that you don't NEED alts, but you're considered insignificant without one.
    -I reserve comment,any other EvE vet want a crack at this one.
    - Unreasonable obsession with touting how much "SKILLZ!" they have because Eve is apparently so "HARDCOREZ!" Yes, I'm exagerating, but it's no less rediculous than the idiots who pat themselves on the back about this every five seconds.
    -Immature drivel,player talent,skill and knowledge far outweigh character skill or the amount of ISK you have. Any real vet will concur. If you suck,you can e-bay and GTC all you want,but you will still suck.
    - Obsession with virtual wealth. IE: The generally accepted goal of the game is "Who has the most isk wins."
    -Your avatar in EvE is a spaceship. Spaceships get blown up. Spaceships cost ISK. Your character can be 5 years 9 month old,with 100 million skill points but without ISK he is nothing more than a ancient,highly skilled "rookie" because a rookie ship is what he will be flying.
    -Remember the "Golden Rule of EvE"...Never fly what you cannot afford to lose.
    Basically, what I'm trying to get at is, why is it that the Eve community reacts to everything, especially questions, with outright hostility and general distain. Is it because theres an over abundant amount of scammers attracted to the game since its essentially a "feature" and thus the community has been flooded by "Trolls in Spaaaaaaaace" or is there some other unknown explination. I really can't rationalize it outside of there being some kind of subtext on all these ads I see around mentioning "asshats only."  
    I say this because I'll admit, what CCP has created is amazing. There never will be another game quite like Eve. However, it's hard to get over the few annoyances in the game and learn to love it, when the community immidiately sours the whole thing by being so horribly insular and hostile to anyone that isn't part of the already established clique who, another favorite phrase, ""get" Eve." 
    I'm expecting more of the same, but please, if anyone could kindly explain, I would appreciate it. I know I'm rather harsh on the game, but honestly, it's mostly all reactionary from having to listen to some of the endless and repeating drivel being posted about the game and the community constantly patting itself on the back with Eves trademark sense of eliteism. 

I hope this helps? If not....Hello Kitty Online----> NoOb. Just kidding

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715
    I adjusted the title to be more appropriate, as people seem to be focusing on the in-game community which is a bit different, and my focus here was on quite another aspect.

Originally posted by Jackarro

-Sandcastles built in sandboxes are fragile,the denizens of EvE are paranoid in the extreme of a misplaced foot or finger. Due the sandbox nature of EvE,much of the game is considered proprietary of the playerbase and just like in real life it simply bad form for the "new guy" to be overly vocal or to challenge the status quo. You have to be tough and resourceful and bully your way into the sandbox if you want to play.
    - Oh no, trust me, I know the feeling. I know all to well that feeling of general ire towards someone when you get a post in just about any forum for a new game saying something isn't "Like this other game" enough or "should do this like this other game." My gripe is with the seemingly innocuous suggestions that seem to get rebuked with a holy fury.
    -Because "Hello Kitty Online---->" simply doesn't do the job of inflating the e-peen effiecenlty enough for those prone to throw the term around.
    - Maybe I'm just getting old, but I remember when "carebear" began, and for me, it's appropriateness ended after Shadowbane tanked. Granted, it had a good run, but it irks me, mainly because every time I've seen it used, it's been completely unnessisary and just thrown in there to make the poster seem "hardcore" or some e-peen bullshit. I guess I forget how old Eve is though, as it's evolved quite well over the years, so a term from the dark ages like that could still be sticking around. Darkfall members completely haphazard use of the term doesn't make it any less grating though -_-
    -The Iroquois tribes of New York state had a tradition of making strangers"Run the Gauntlet" if you survived and were stoic after the event you were afforded respect and a voice. So it is in EvE.  The ability to solve your own problems and provide for yourself are highly prized traits in EvE. Weakness whether real or perceived is held in high contempt.
    You know, I'm going to level with you. It's not even the concept of them saying essentially "deal with it." It's the frequency in which I see that EXACT phrase. It's as though they can't think for themselves and are instinctively throwing out this canned phrase as an ingrained defense mechanism
    -I reserve comment,any other EvE vet want a crack at this one.
    Yeah I'd still like an answer to this one /=. Did some looking around (apparently there are a few articles on this) and nobody seems to come at a clear concensus.
    -Immature drivel,player talent,skill and knowledge far outweigh character skill or the amount of ISK you have. Any real vet will concur. If you suck,you can e-bay and GTC all you want,but you will still suck.
    I don't think you understood what I was getting at there. I was referring to the guys who like to swagger around with their titanic e-peens screaming to the rooftops "Check out how awesome I am because I play Eve because Eve is "TEH HARDCOREZ!" It kinda rolls back to the elitist thing. Some of the people I've seen posting can't finish a post without making a note of this. Thank you for that last part though, as it reminded me of everyones favorite e-bayer, the honor tanker.
    -Your avatar in EvE is a spaceship. Spaceships get blown up. Spaceships cost ISK. Your character can be 5 years 9 month old,with 100 million skill points but without ISK he is nothing more than a ancient,highly skilled "rookie" because a rookie ship is what he will be flying.
    -Remember the "Golden Rule of EvE"...Never fly what you cannot afford to lose.
    I think this is where me and Eve never really meshed. I am probably the least, I don't want to say materialistic because if it has use to me I want to have it, but the least person concerned with wealth you're going to find short of a monk. I desire no more than is necissary to keep me alive and happy. I am, essentially, the antithesis of the Caldari mindset if you want to look at it that way. So the goal of "aquiring isk" means nothing to me, and there seems to be a huge focus on that amongst the players, and if my old corp mates (who's personalities out of game didn't really mesh with me at all) are any indication, seem to carry that lust for wealth for the sake of wealth that I just don't understand with them.

I hope this helps? If not....Hello Kitty Online----> NoOb. Just kidding

So....very.....pink....

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

I think I just went blind from all the multicolored posts!!!

Bottom line:
    Forum communities that are constantly trolled by haters will generally tend to get a bit more aggressive about their game. EVE has a pretty mature community both in game and on the forums. But we have, considering the relatively small size of the game for several years (only in the past 1.5yrs has the game broken 100k players) , gotten far more than our fair share of haters and trolls that come here and post the same innane troll posts and the same silly propoganda against the game over and over and over again that people are just fed up with constantly answering the same statements over and over again.

That could be why you feel there's more hostility here than is warranted. Also, because of the very nature of EVE there is a certain sense of 'ownership' by people who play the game. Therefore they tend to be a bit more 'aggressive' about discussing "their" game.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

Eve's community is no different to it's realword counterpart

Group A) cowardly, insecure and predisposed towards bullying.

Group B) friendly, informative and helpfull.

Group C) just get on with what they are doing.

groups A & B tend to form the minority sections of communities, group C will form the majority

group's A & B also tend to be the most vocal within formum environments, whereas group C are too busy getting on with what they are doing to have a mojor online presence.

hope that clears up a few things for you.

(if you need futher clarification or help understanding the concepts briefly introduced here, i suggest you discuss it with a socialogist)

• EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482

I gotta say i've asked ALOT of noob questions about eve... IN eve... and ON eve forums and i've never once been met with anything but help and assitance. I don't play EVE currently but i've never really seen this side of the EVE community you say is the "Majority".

I have seen some bad apples but no more than ANY other game. I mean if you went in WoW forum and said. "This game should have spaceships and is awfull cause it doesn't" You're going to be met with the same if not worse response as going to an EVE forum and saying the game "SUXORS because you can't walk around your ship".

It all needs to be taken in context. Half of if not more than half of the questions you're saying get flamed and yelled at like above posters have said have usually been ASKED TO DEATH and could easily be found by just looking at a sticky or throwing the thing into the unknown world of "Google" the other things i see getting yelled at are usually things that would get flamed in ANY forum about ANY game such as "This game is awfull because someone killed me when I went into 0.0 space." OF COARSE people are going to react badly to this on the forum of the game. It's bad press which has no backup. That would be like going to a WoW forum and saying "This game is bad because I got killed by accidently wandering up to the lich king and slapping him in the face"

The problem isn't with the community, it seems you just got your hand smacked for spilling the milk but you don't feel you should have. And you may be right BUT don't call the whole community bad. You have to just look as an outside person on this issue. How would you feel if the same thing happened to your precious game. Everygame has it's little part of the community who just is intolerant of people who ask new person questions wether how right or wrong the question may be.

Moral of my post (cause sometimes my posts are long winded rants) The games community is no different from any other game it's got it's bad apples. And frankly OP i've never seen anything from you recently other than EVE hate posts. You gotta start thinking why you're seeing the majority of a community in a way alot of people are not.

*No hate intended with this post*

**EDIT: I too kinda forgot this was about Forums and not in game But yea... Forums breed people who wanna spout thier oppinions from the rooftops and anyone who disagrees with them is a moron. Unfortunatly it's the nature of forums you're always gonna get "Those guys" But I personally don't think eve's any worse than other games**