Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Origins Server = New Client?

ArtwolfArtwolf Member UncommonPosts: 48

The first thing I hear many of my friends say when they play DAoC for the first time (after playing their various other MMOs) is that the game feels slow, clunky and the UI is not very intuitive. Repeatedly, I hear these same things. Having played DAoC myself since release my first reaction is "Wtf are you talking about?" They honestly do not understand why I like playing this "old" game so much.

I can't wait for the new server, but the last thing I want is Origins to end up just like the Classic servers did - full for a few months then slowly dying off.

With all of this in mind, thinking about the future of DAoC... Where is the future? Has the game already ran its course? Can an "old" MMO make a come back?

DAoC is based on the same engine as Warhammer. I would think it would be possible to update the game if they wanted to (EA keeps hanging on to UO). I know most of you have seen (if not in game, then on YouTube) the Cotswold hidden instance in the Inevitable City. Why spend so much time on a new ruleset only to have it dwindle to nothing within months?

The patch notes are around 1.97 (I think?) only a couple more until DAoC 2.0

Speaking of spending time... its been about six months or so since before this last grab bag. What have they been doing? Did they just shove Origins aside for WAR for six months...

or

has EA Mythic been working on DAoC more than we thought?

Note: Im probably just over excited about Origins (and really did not have much to do for the last two hours) and I know, realistically there is a slim chance DAoC sees a major update like this.

Wishful thinking is wishful!

Comments

• LivettLivett Member Posts: 126

I'm a little over excited about Origins too. Not so much thinking it might come out but the thought that there will be some news regarding what is going on. 

Even if they say "sorry it's not coming" I will just nod and be like, at least I now know rather than wondering what the hell is going on.

If it is on the cards, then I hope they have implemented some "up to date" features, i.e an AH, improvement on UI to attract newer players(?) (personally I have no issue with daoc UI) among other things.

Maybe there be something in todays grab bag.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I hope they never institute any kind of Auction House system.  If you've played the game in it's hayday then you'd know that part of the fun was finding the people who crafted and haggling with them, LIKE REAL PEOPLE THAT THEY WERE, rather then a soulless spreadsheet that you open up and just type in some numbers.  There are plenty of games out there with auction houses and I hope my dear old DAoC never stoops so low as to adopt one.  If they're going to start doing everything everybody else is doing then they might as well just make it WoW, or LOTRO or any other pick of the litter that's out there.

The whole point of ORIGINS is to take it back to the way it was.  Instituting AH would go against the idea.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

They mentioned Origins in the last Grab Bag, nothing much, just acknowledging that they haven't forgotten about it but most of Mythic's resources are in WAR.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Illius

I hope they never institute any kind of Auction House system.  If you've played the game in it's hayday then you'd know that part of the fun was finding the people who crafted and haggling with them, LIKE REAL PEOPLE THAT THEY WERE, rather then a soulless spreadsheet that you open up and just type in some numbers.  There are plenty of games out there with auction houses and I hope my dear old DAoC never stoops so low as to adopt one.  If they're going to start doing everything everybody else is doing then they might as well just make it WoW, or LOTRO or any other pick of the litter that's out there.
    The whole point of ORIGINS is to take it back to the way it was.  Instituting AH would go against the idea.

Actually, the game has an auction house and has for quite some time.  They were introduced with, or shortly after the housing expansion. (and are located in the housing zones)

I suspect they'll keep some features like this, mostly with Origins they wanted to take out the TOA component, rebalance the classes, eliminate /level 20 and give us back the original frontiers. (emain baby)

They'll probably retain some of the newer features like the buff bott nerf, teleportation points, maybe even the mounts.

I'm pretty sure it won't be the original SI code base prior to the launch of TOA/New Frontiers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Crap.  Yeah I forgot about the market explorers.  Now that I remember it though there was a markup if you buy from the explorer rather then walking over to the house or finding the person and dealing with them directly.  Even though there was all this when I played last people were still selling their wares directly to other players.  I remember haggling for my MP crafted chain suit, then for the alchemy and then spell crafting.

If they make this aspect go the way of WoW then I don't know... I just don't know.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

The controls do feel "older", but damn, it's not that bad.  Seriously, it's not like DAOC is click to move...

On the topic of modernization, I played a DAOC trial back in the summer ( I think) and WOW (pun intended) what a difference.  It was like being dropped into a DAOC theme park.  Bright, flashing indicators every where, mobs sprinkled in all over the place for no reason, cheesy, pointless quests, easy-mode instance leveling...nothing like the old days.  I really hope that stuff doesn't make an appearance in Origins.

Originally posted by Tatum

The controls do feel "older", but damn, it's not that bad.  Seriously, it's not like DAOC is click to move...
    On the topic of modernization, I played a DAOC trial back in the summer ( I think) and WOW (pun intended) what a difference.  It was like being dropped into a DAOC theme park.  Bright, flashing indicators every where, mobs sprinkled in all over the place for no reason, cheesy, pointless quests, easy-mode instance leveling...nothing like the old days.  I really hope that stuff doesn't make an appearance in Origins.

I'm afraid.  I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that it somehow will worm its way back into Origins provided it sees the light of day.

tree group anyone? 

• ninjajucerninjajucer Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Tatum

I believe it was mentioned already that Origins will only include SI as an expansion and will not have battlegrounds of any type. So it looks like we'll be at the original starting areas again, which is a lot better IMO as I always liked how trolls started in Gna Faste, Luri's in Mag Mell, and the mage race (whose name escapes me atm) starting all the way down in Cappa Forest.

The original ideas with the game were great, and I hope to recapture that spirit again with Origins. They did mention that some of the instanced dungeons would be remaining. Hopefully some good news today.

Originally posted by ninjajucer

I believe it was mentioned already that Origins will only include SI as an expansion and will not have battlegrounds of any type. So it looks like we'll be at the original starting areas again, which is a lot better IMO as I always liked how trolls started in Gna Faste, Luri's in Mag Mell, and the mage race (whose name escapes me atm) starting all the way down in Cappa Forest.
    The original ideas with the game were great, and I hope to recapture that spirit again with Origins. They did mention that some of the instanced dungeons would be remaining. Hopefully some good news today.

I'm with ya on this one.  Gonna go check the grab bag.

• jposavatzjposavatz Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Livett

tree group anyone? 

LOL YES!!... in... Lyonesse right?...

Wow... if THAT's the idea of the Origin's server, I'm in!

Yep, get off at cornwall and run there, past the gobbos.

Also there's nothing about origins in grab bag this week.

Tree group?  Only tree group I remember was Fin tree in Hibernia...  Still, Redcaps is where it's at though.

Oh and the grab bag was sorely lacking in Origins info....

To be honest I think any Origins info won't come in a grab bag, it will be seperate info on any given weekday.

Originally posted by Livett

To be honest I think any Origins info won't come in a grab bag, it will be seperate info on any given weekday.

I just wish they'd make with the doing and just state that it's either dead or that they're working on it right now.  That's all I want, but I think I'm asking for too much.