Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i get AoC?

Hey this is a thread about Age of Conan. I saw this game when it came out, was thinking about getting it, but didnt. not sure why i didnt but yea anyway.

I've been wanting to try this game, but i hear a lot about it.

Im looking for someone to tell me about its current state, not someone who never played. A lot of people like it, and a lot dont. Whats good about it, and whats bad. Oh yea, how populated is it?

thanks

Comments

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Game has had TONS of problems, still has problems. Fanboys say its better than ever. Still no free trial though and that should tell you something. My advice, get a buddy key from someone or wait for a free-trial. You might like the game but a good chance you'll be wasting your money at this point.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

AoC is very similar to Vanguard when it came out. Broken, and not fun.

Give it a year or 2 the game will be better (IF its still around). Then try it again.

The population on it is low. Quite low.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798

I would definitely recommend posting this on the AoC forums. ;-)

I suggest trying it out unless you are very concerned at the cost of the game box. I believe you can get the game pretty cheap these days. I believe the biggest gripe with the current game is still content and some lingering bugs, but the word is that it has improved a lot from a bad launch. I have only played to the 30s now after they opened new fresh realms, so I will not claim I am in a strong position to give feedback about that.

What I was reminded of when trying it again now is how different it is to play from WoW. Now, it really isn't that different, but compared to LotRO and WAR it is. The lack of mob (and player) targeting, position and maneuvering in combat, weapon attack arcs and combo-attacks makes it feel different from those other games. It migth get old after a while, but for now I find it a little refreshing.

Anyways, too tired to think what to really write, so back to my first point; try it out. I think it's worth it. :-)

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

I hated the game so much that I spent $9.99 to get a www.failcom.BLANK site.

Now I play the game and enjoy it, and yes, it has improved.

Does this make me a fanboi?

The only thing worse than fanbois are the anti-fanbois, who,.....spend all their time calling everyone "fanbois"...lol

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798
    Originally posted by Calintz333

The population on it is low. Quite low.

I have played a bit on one of the fresh servers, and there the population isn't really big. But I have friends playing on the merged ones, and they say they're pretty packed. The server merges showed clearly that a good bunch of people left the game, but they also made it way more fun and social for those still playing.

I only play a little now and then due to time constraints, so a fresh server works for me since I mainly solo anyway.

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

how about this before you post saying the game has problems why don't you state when the last time you played it.

I hate morons who state things like "the game still sucks" but havent played it since it launched. How the hell do you know?

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

The game is slowly dieing and though it gets hyped here alot by fanbois it is not growing, promises made before and after launch are slow in coming and some may not happen at all.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

AoC might be really cheap now and you usually get 30 days subscription packed in with that. Might be worth it to try it, certainly I'll be purchasing it if I see for a few quid.

• eagles12555eagles12555 Member Posts: 219

thanks for all the comments. if i do get a buddy key, how do i get the client? can i download it?

oh and if you havea buddy key can you send it to me please? 

thanks thanks!

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

The game is slowly dieing and though it gets hyped here alot by fanbois it is not growing, promises made before and after launch are slow in coming and some may not happen at all.

Again, I will copy and paste:

The only thing worse than fanbois are the anti-fanbois, who,.....spend all their time calling everyone "fanbois"...lol

Originally posted by donjn

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Again, I will copy and paste:

ooh donjn do you have a buddy key? 

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Its very simple to see where a game is heading when they are merging servers.

The reasons are many. The game is inherently flawed. Too many loading screens thanks to numerous instancing. Lousy crafting. And definitely unfinished game. The 1st 20 lvls are fantastic but the game dies once you leave the island.

I wanted to love this game more than anything. But there is no way Im paying to play a mutiplayer game with player caps per instance. Lame

• CobaneCobane Member UncommonPosts: 151

Lvl 55 guardian here is my take:

PVE is decent, meaning varied quests and and different spins on how to approach and complete quests.

PVP from my perspective at my lvl, class and experience from other games is very unbalanced and not really fun.  There is a lot of the old palidan from wow simularities  that can relate to any of the healing classes in this game. Basically if you can heal yourself you can get bludgened in the face all day long and not go down. Group pvp kind of fun but not meaningful.

Guild Cities are dead and not utilized to full potential.

Drunken brawling still not in the game.

Items, feats and skills stats are weird and dont seem impactful.

My advice give it another 6 months to a year and play CIty of Heroes or tend to real life responsibilities for now. Its not worth the install time or money as of now.

I watched this game for 4 years and was let down by a game that was sposed to be end all be all mmo and it came to be is a arcade rpg that is linear with not much depth or community even though the populations are decent with the server merges. Also on a side note I have read that there is alot of pvp exploits, due to hacking and annimation lag. Still it is a beautiful game.

• DaveTTDaveTT Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by eagles12555

Hey this is a thread about Age of Conan. I saw this game when it came out, was thinking about getting it, but didnt. not sure why i didnt but yea anyway.
    I've been wanting to try this game, but i hear a lot about it.

Im looking for someone to tell me about its current state, not someone who never played. A lot of people like it, and a lot dont. Whats good about it, and whats bad. Oh yea, how populated is it?

thanks

I would definitely recommend you to buy AOC.

AOC had alot of problems at launch, alot of buggs / missing content etc. But they have improved the game ALOT now, and today the game is really great.

They have pretty much fixed all buggs, ( i never see any), the performence is really great, added many new quests, revapmed dungeons, a hole new zone Ymir's pass, pvp-gears, pvp-system, pvp-lvls and alot more.

They have merged all servers so pretty much all servers have medium/high pop, very nice . I am playing on Fury EU (PVP) and there is alot of players everywere ALOT, sometimes it feels like there is too many .

They are also launching a new huge patch in a few weeks with 3 new dungeons, pvp-resources, maybe DX10 (can take a bit longer), and alot more, check this thread ----> http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/view/forums/thread/221321/Update-104-notes-Test-Server-had-an-update-today.html

You can also go to youtube and check for Age of conan Ymir's pass and Age of conan xibaluku, 2 trailers of the new zone and the new dungeon, very nice stuff

Anyway i recommend you to buy AOC and give it a try, there are many sites / stores that sell AOC cheap and you get 30 free days to play.

Good luck m8

------------------------------

Bear Grylls : I need to get out of this frozen hellhole!
    Bear Grylls : (Holds a beetle in his hand) 4 times more protein then Beef

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885

IF you are looking for a MMO where;

- Combat requires your skill to be fully utilized in Melee/Ranged PvP, Casters are similar to all other games more or less except for the spell weaving

- A game that has quite possibly the best graphic and sound in any MMO

- A game where gear isn't the main reason for progress

- you don't mind have to wait for more content to come into the game

If those 4 are things you can easy recognize I would suggest you try out AoC, however if you demand a seamless world, a game as polished as WoW, a game with tons of content then I would probably suggest you to wait.

AoC does have a good amount of content, itemization is coming soon which will change a lot of the items making them more useful and more wanted to get. At the moment raid gear is slightly better then blues and gera overall doesn't mean more then 25% of the characters damage output, this will be increased to some place close to 50% I guess. Raidwise and group content there are a fair amount of things to do, same with PvP. PvP can be chaos at times but also a great portion of fun, you have to be focused and you have to learn your class and it's abilities to be truly effective. The game has it's issues still, but the worst are fixed and the game works very nice now. Each patch the game has seen improvements and moving in the right direction so things are not too bad at the moment.

I played since launch and the game we have now compared to how it was in july/august is totally different.

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by admriker4

Its very simple to see where a game is heading when they are merging servers.
    Server merges have always been seen as a sign of a dying game, but there is enough games out there hat has done server merges before and still going on strong. Server merges can have 2 effects either people still leaves the game or it make the current population happy and you get a somewhat stable population. AoC needed a server merge badly due to population, after merges things ar lot more fun and for those of us who still play we seem to enjoy the game more. :)
    The reasons are many. The game is inherently flawed. Too many loading screens thanks to numerous instancing. Lousy crafting. And definitely unfinished game. The 1st 20 lvls are fantastic but the game dies once you leave the island.
    I have seen many who feels the game dies once you leave the Tortage Island, I kind off struggle to see why. Contentwise before Ymir's Pass arrived I had no issues with content until level 55. I guess it boils down to personal preferances and what the players wanted from the game. I found the 3 zones after Toratge to be very nice, all are different and have different quests a good storyline. Yes I did miss the voiceovers from Tortage, but overall the quality of many of the quests are very nice. I also liked that I no longer had to follow the quests in a specific way, I could choose where to go what to do etc. This I missed in Tortage, you were kinda forced to follow the way Funcom wanted you to go.
    I wanted to love this game more than anything. But there is no way Im paying to play a mutiplayer game with player caps per instance. Lame
    Instances are not perfect but if you should have 200+ in the same instance the game would lag like there was no tomorrow. Gotten used to the instances now altho I would liked a seamless world I don't find the instances to be a killer of the game. Then again different people like dfferent things.

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• Deadman87Deadman87 Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Cobane

Lvl 55 guardian here is my take:

PVP from my perspective at my lvl, class and experience from other games is very unbalanced and not really fun.

Uh, if you are meaning unbalanced as in you are steamrolling everyone with your Guardian I get you. But if you mean that *you* are getting steamrolled *as a guardian* then you must be doing something wrong.

I have played a Guardian up to level 70, and have had a great time with him in both PvP and PvE.

It is preferable not to travel with a dead man.

where can i get a buddy key? i really want to try it out., and how many days is the buddy key? 14 day trial or what?