Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To the whiners, don't worry Bioware rocks!

Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Just that I've seen alot of people whining about the look of SWTOR and going on to slag off SWG pre-cu. All I can say is that in my experience Bioware have always made top quality computer and console games. I don't see any need to worry as it's in alpha stage and let's face if you've played Mass Effect on the Xbox 360 and the origonal KOTOR you'll understand that these people are living game gods.

I trust Bioware to make a top notch title and it might even be the first "Next Gen" title we've all been waiting for since McQuaids claims about Vanguard! I'd even go so far as to say I'd pre-order from Bioware, so take it easy guys and play some Mass Effect perhaps, maybe relax at flux or take a look at the Matriarchs plunging neckline again? (I know you know what I'm talking about!)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Just that I've seen alot of people whining about the look of SWTOR and going on to slag off SWG pre-cu. All I can say is that in my experience Bioware have always made top quality computer and console games. I don't see any need to worry as it's in alpha stage and let's face if you've played Mass Effect on the Xbox 360 and the origonal KOTOR you'll understand that these people are living game gods.
    I trust Bioware to make a top notch title and it might even be the first "Next Gen" title we've all been waiting for since McQuaids claims about Vanguard! I'd even go so far as to say I'd pre-order from Bioware, so take it easy guys and play some Mass Effect perhaps, maybe relax at flux or take a look at the Matriarchs plunging neckline again? (I know you know what I'm talking about!)

I do agree with you for the most part. While I dislike the art style, and haven't really liked the direction they seem to be taking the game(from the information they have given us), Bioware does make great games. I'm just curious how effectively they can translate their great single player game making abilities into the MMO realm. I do worry that this will be nothing more then a great single player game with a multiplayer endgame and a monthly fee, but that is yet to be determined. I also wonder how deep EA is going to have their grubby little hands dug into this, and how much LucasArts will influence the game too. I think both of these outside influences could have a negative impact and hinder Bioware from doing what they do best.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Don't Bioware have weekly meetings with LucasArts? I'm pretty sure LA is heavily involved, I'm not entirely sure that's a good or bad thing.. :S I just know Bioware rocks at story telling. I'd give this podcast a listen if you guys haven't yet:

The Old Republic Special

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• SkazaxSkazax Member Posts: 1

I would say to all of the people worrying that this title isn't going to be exactly what they want, don't sweat it. Even if you are a pre-cu SWG player, or a WoW player, there is atleast one (more than likley more) features about the game that you idolize so much that you didn't, or currently don't like. The fact of the matter is, everybody has a different oppinion of what would be the perfect game in their own minds, so where is the point in arguing about what makes a good game, and what doesn't?

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I think it's too early to tell whether or not you'll like a game when it's in alpha stage. So far I see constructive criticism that some people are blowing out of proportion. Yes, bioware has a good reputation which is the only reason I'm keeping tabs on this game. If I like something(such as the setting of the game) I say so. If I don't like something(such as the graphics) I will say so as well. People need to stop taking the rants of the 1 percent(angry SWG vets) and painting everyone else with the same brush who aren't fawning over this game's every move.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Bioware may have rocked at singleplayer games, but an mmorpg is totally different.

And there is no more Bioware. There is now Bioware EA.

Bioware EA is untested.

So time will tell.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I think it's too early to tell whether or not you'll like a game when it's in alpha stage. So far I see constructive criticism that some people are blowing out of proportion. Yes, bioware has a good reputation which is the only reason I'm keeping tabs on this game. If I like something(such as the setting of the game) I say so. If I don't like something(such as the graphics) I will say so as well. People need to stop taking the rants of the 1 percent(angry SWG vets) and painting everyone else with the same brush who aren't fawning over this game's every move.

I agree, but hey I am a bitter and twisted SWG vet! Bioware EA maybe untested but it is the same studio with many of the people that made the original KOTOR. I'm not expecting another SWG, a sandbox or a theme park. I'm just waiting to see the end result and probably give it a try if it seems to be to my taste.

I would like Jedi to be locked much like in SWG pre-cu at the begining, but with 30 other professions so we all have something. Who knows though, all I know is, if Bioware gives it thier best shot it will be worth a try atleast.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by ktanner3

I agree, but hey I am a bitter and twisted SWG vet! Bioware EA maybe untested but it is the same studio with many of the people that made the original KOTOR. I'm not expecting another SWG, a sandbox or a theme park. I'm just waiting to see the end result and probably give it a try if it seems to be to my taste.

I would like Jedi to be locked much like in SWG pre-cu at the begining, but with 30 other professions so we all have something. Who knows though, all I know is, if Bioware gives it thier best shot it will be worth a try atleast.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. The two games aren't comparable because both take places in different time frames of the Star wars universe. It made sense to limit jedi in SWG because there wasn't suppose to be that many around the time of the Empire Strikes Back. In TOR, it makes perfect sense to have lots of jedi because this is the time of the jedi and sith war. For those that just can't stand the sight of hundreds of jedi on a screen at one time I would suggest for them to skip this game.

It will probably be more like the KOTOR, where you carry a blaster for awhile before eventually coming upon a jedi or the temple. I do agree with you that there should be choice of professions for those that don't get a thrill out of swinging a lightsaber. I'm sure there will be.From what I've gathered from the EU novels, I know the jedi and sith had armies who used blasters and blades. Bounty Hunters,Spies,Teras Kasis and Smugglers would also make sense here.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

I feel my only thing I can say to this is go pick up a knights of the old republic table top source book, I have a funny feeling that we will see every class in there. Mainly cause the origonal kotor came out of the old starwars table top source book for classes. Thats just my thought however.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I have played alot of Bioware games and not 1 has ever disappointed. I truely believe that Bioware will make a very good mmo that alot will have fun playing for a long time.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Bioware may have rocked at singleplayer games, but an mmorpg is totally different.
    Bioware EA is untested.
    So time will tell.

So very true.  While I love Bioware games they are some of the most rigidly linear games I have ever played.  Combine this with the "story driven" gameplay Bioware has mentioned already and there is just a little room for concern.  With such a vast library of award winning linear games do they have the talent pool to suddenly switch gears and make an open MMO?  Time will indeed tell.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905
    Originally posted by ChicagoCub

While I love Bioware games they are some of the most rigidly linear games I have ever played.  Combine this with the "story driven" gameplay Bioware has mentioned already and there is just a little room for concern.

Not true. While they are linear in the sense you have a beginning, main quest, and ending, there are dozens of side quests and variations of the main quests. In the first Dev video they released, they stated "this game will have more content than all our other games put togethor." If you take the scale of KOTOR and ME, that's saying something.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Not going to whine about SW:TOR just want to point out some flaws in your thinking. Bioware has rocked in the past.  In fact you could make the argument that the farther back you go the better their games get. Which is another way of saying their games have gotten worse over time. Another thing is that an MMO is a whole nother type of creature than a stand alone rpg so past performance is no indication of future success.

Hows the game going to be? We just don't know and it makes no sense to assume it'll be great or terrible til it comes out. You'd be just as foolish to say its going to rock as to say its going to suck at this point.

One thing is clear however: If you think this game is going to replace pre-nge SWG, you are mistaken. It will be nothing like it.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

honestly I say that is a good thing, I played SWG's then, I was a creature handeler and I got to watch my class be nerfed into non exsistance. As to the MMO's are different, well they really arn't. You have a world, you have quests, you level. If you remove the main story quest from a RPG, add a bunch more player characters, replace all those main quests with 5X's as many side quests and let you wander all over pretty much as KoToR2 did. Guess what you have an mmo. The only difference is in KoToR 2 you were locked to a jedi class, while in other bioware rpgs you had class choices.

• NaranarNaranar Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by ChicagoCub

Originally posted by Zorvan

Bioware EA is untested.
    So time will tell.

So very true.  While I love Bioware games they are some of the most rigidly linear games I have ever played.  Combine this with the "story driven" gameplay Bioware has mentioned already and there is just a little room for concern.  With such a vast library of award winning linear games do they have the talent pool to suddenly switch gears and make an open MMO?  Time will indeed tell.

Yes indeed you are reading my thoughts.

Just look at Jade Empire ,Mass effect, KotOR every of this game is pretty much linear in terms of walking around.

But I think Bioware is good enough  to make free MMO but combining it with story driven gameplay it wont be easy.

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

Considering the fact that Bioware has taken on some of the most Senior MMO developers in history, I think they know what they're doing.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I do agree with you for the most part. While I dislike the art style, and haven't really liked the direction they seem to be taking the game(from the information they have given us), Bioware does make great games. I'm just curious how effectively they can translate their great single player game making abilities into the MMO realm. I do worry that this will be nothing more then a great single player game with a multiplayer endgame and a monthly fee, but that is yet to be determined. I also wonder how deep EA is going to have their grubby little hands dug into this, and how much LucasArts will influence the game too. I think both of these outside influences could have a negative impact and hinder Bioware from doing what they do best.

I have a bit more faith than most games with a team of developers like below

Gordon Walton

Richard Vogel

Damion Schubert

Daniel Erickson

James Ohlen

These guys a pretty much on top of their game in the industry. A few of them were around during the early development years of SWG, then once SOE started going down a bad path they left. I  have a feeling you may see more SWG elements on TOR than you expected to see (the ones people really enjoyed and will work in any mmo). Of course they won't come out and say that right now. Just be patient, you'll learn plenty more in the coming months.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by tillamook

Gordon Walton

Richard Vogel

Damion Schubert

Daniel Erickson

James Ohlen

These guys a pretty much on top of their game in the industry. A few of them were around during the early development years of SWG, then once SOE started going down a bad path they left. I  have a feeling you may see more SWG elements on TOR than you expected to see (the ones people really enjoyed and will work in any mmo). Of course they won't come out and say that right now. Just be patient, you'll learn plenty more in the coming months.

And the first two names on your list are why I don't have any faith that this will turn out to be a game I'd want to play. Honestly I had hoped this would be a game whose direction would be in line that, with the addition of the IP, would be something I'd like to try. But, as another poster above mentioned, from what we know so far about said direction based primarily on interviews with Walton and vogel, TOR won't be something this long time SW fan and MMO player would enjoy.

The Beta testing version of the game will have the tale of the tape and I'll reserve my absolute statements for then. But so far it doesn't look like I'll be buying this one.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Gordon Walton

Richard Vogel

Damion Schubert

Daniel Erickson

James Ohlen

And the first two names on your list are why I don't have any faith that this will turn out to be a game I'd want to play. Honestly I had hoped this would be a game whose direction would be in line that, with the addition of the IP, would be something I'd like to try. But, as another poster above mentioned, from what we know so far about said direction based primarily on interviews with Walton and vogel, TOR won't be something this long time SW fan and MMO player would enjoy.

The Beta testing version of the game will have the tale of the tape and I'll reserve my absolute statements for then. But so far it doesn't look like I'll be buying this one.

Beta is the wrong place to pass jedgement on a game, I've done that myself. I would wait till at least a trial appears before passing judgement.

SWG Bloodfin vet

Gordon Walton
    Richard Vogel
    Damion Schubert
    Daniel Erickson
    James Ohlen

Beta is the wrong place to pass jedgement on a game, I've done that myself. I would wait till at least a trial appears before passing judgement.

Maybe for you. I've been in just about every "major" MMO beta since 2003 plus more than a few of the games considered not "AAA". Being in a beta a month out from release gives you a quite accurate picture of what the game will be at release. Well, I should say it does for me anyway.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Gordon Walton

Richard Vogel

Damion Schubert

Daniel Erickson

James Ohlen

Maybe for you. I've been in just about every "major" MMO beta since 2003 plus more than a few of the games considered not "AAA". Being in a beta a month out from release gives you a quite accurate picture of what the game will be at release. Well, I should say it does for me anyway.

Yeah most of us here have played many games F2p/P2P in search of the perfect MMO for years now. My example is LOTRO. I was in early beta for it. It was ok but not great. Later I returned when they started offering trials and almost nothing was the same as I remembered it. WoW is another example. 9D is another example, Though it's not a great game some like it.   These aren't my kind of games since I'm pretty sick of the whole fantasy MMO genera, but my point is betwen beta and 1 year games ussually change a lot. If this game dosn't do it for you at beta wait a year and check it out again.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by dhayes68

Not going to whine about SW:TOR just want to point out some flaws in your thinking. Bioware has rocked in the past.  In fact you could make the argument that the farther back you go the better their games get. Which is another way of saying their games have gotten worse over time. Another thing is that an MMO is a whole nother type of creature than a stand alone rpg so past performance is no indication of future success.

Hows the game going to be? We just don't know and it makes no sense to assume it'll be great or terrible til it comes out. You'd be just as foolish to say its going to rock as to say its going to suck at this point.

One thing is clear however: If you think this game is going to replace pre-nge SWG, you are mistaken. It will be nothing like it.

Completely agree with the highlighted text.

As for the OP, it reminds me so much of people who touted other games based on the street cred of past efforts.  Vanguard is going to be great, Brad McQuaid is making it.  TR has to be terrific, RG has his name on it.  WAR is going to be the true spiritual successor to DAOC, since Mythic is making it.  

The list goes on and on, and as was mentioned, past performance isn't an indicator of future success.

Unless we're talking Blizzard.  They have a license to print money it seems.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Gordon Walton

Richard Vogel

Damion Schubert

Daniel Erickson

James Ohlen

Yeah most of us here have played many games F2p/P2P in search of the perfect MMO for years now. My example is LOTRO. I was in early beta for it. It was ok but not great. Later I returned when they started offering trials and almost nothing was the same as I remembered it. WoW is another example. 9D is another example, Though it's not a great game some like it.   These aren't my kind of games since I'm pretty sick of the whole fantasy MMO genera, but my point is betwen beta and 1 year games ussually change a lot. If this game dosn't do it for you at beta wait a year and check it out again.

Ah. I see what you are saying. Still, I've never really been a person to do that. I've always viewed it as if they (being the game developers) didn't want me as a subscriber initially why would I sub to their game a year or two or three later? If they make a game so off from what interests me in the beginning, then change their game so much that it now contains what does interest me (and alienating all those people who bought in initially because it was a game like they wanted), well, my first thought is what's to say they won't change away from what I want in a year?  And that's a year that I could spend playing a game from developers who make a game and stick to their guns with respect to it's makeup.

Now, if a game is pretty much what I want, but is really, really rough around the edges, then yeah, I could see waiting a few months to a year to let them polish it up. But as of this moment TOR is not that (for me). A few weeks before retail launch I can give it a look and see what it's about and make final judgement as to whether to write it off completely or play. As things stand today, however, it is in the write off category.

Chavez y Chavez

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Yes, Bioware does rock...it's the influence of EA and LA that concerns me.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

This should be a fun game.

It will not be in any way shape or form related to SWG. If you think this is going to provide an experience even slightly like SWG then you will be sadly mistaken.

This game is a completely different entity. It will be more like a theme park MMO but set in a Star Warsey environement.

Lower your expectations and wipe all trace of SWG from your mind and you will not be dissapointed.

this game will be themepark bubblegum Star Wars. But hopefully alot of fun to play.

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

You know what, I personally don't give a hoot if an MMO is good anymore....If Swtor rocks when it comes out, it rocks...if it doesn't it doesn't......put an end with all these expectations having, the truth is it's exactly what Blizzard wants you to do...>=D