Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Starting Again as a Rune-Keeper

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

New MMORPG.com Correspondent Terry Gordo writes this overview of his experience starting Lord of the Rings Online all over again as a level one Rune-Keeper.

The Mines of Moria released last year to a lot of hype within the Lord of the Rings Online community. Many people believed that the game needed rejuvenating, and what better than a massive underground city overrun with all kinds of foul creatures to do it? But the Mines themselves aren't what I'm going to talk about in this article. Many, many writers, bloggers and e-critics have commented on the Mines, what they bring to the game, to an old player, to a new player, to every man and his uncle. So I decided to take a different angle. What's it like for an old-time player to start again with one of the new classes introduced with the expansion? So this feature is my experiences as a (Dwarf) Rune-Keeper, starting from scratch, seeing what's different and what's the same as when I started out two years ago, when I first entered the game as an Elven Hunter.

Read Starting Again as a Rune-Keeper

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Most classes do not really start to show their true colors till about level 15. 15 does not take to long to get to either. But yeah, I look forward to reading your review when you leave the starter area.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Pretty unintersting article... Write about a class after playing the noob instance? I usually dont enjoy caster clases but I think the Rune keeper is actually alot of fun. First 15 levels are pretty boring since you dont have alot of dps and die easily. Then the RK starts to shine and becomes a really great class that can act both as a main healer or man dps in a group! But they are pretty advnade compared to most of the old classes.

And the lore issue the writer dicussed seems pretty wierd considering that minstrels play lute in combat to kill monsters already... Words are very powerfull in Middle Earth just like music.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• MaXimillionXMaXimillionX Member Posts: 4

The article would probably be better titled as "The Differences Between Starting Elven And Dwarven Characters"

• elderbanelderban Member Posts: 3

In all reality, a Runekeeper is nothing but the combination of a Minstrel and a Loremaster, with a little Captain in them (No, not Captain Morgan...) 

But "lore issues" aside, I've found that Dwarves make better Runekeepers as Elves with their inborn traits are a bit squishier than Dwarves. I have a Level 40 Runekeeper that I've shelved and have rolled a Dwarven Runekeeper. The Elven Runekeeper was dying too easily, and since I've had the Dwarf Runekeeper, he's only died maybe twice...and he's currently Level 25.

But, as others have stated, RK's don't really start shining til about level 15 when they can do more DPS and more Healing. My Level 25 RK is a healing machine!

If you are going to roll a RK, please keep the following traits in mind for your virtues:

Empathy - Nice armor bonus and fate (+450 armor at Rank 10)

Charity - Wound resistance bonus.

Valour - Nice Morale bonus

Idealism - Nice Fate and will bonuses.

Loyalty - Nice armor, power and vitality bonus.

And one to consider when you want to slot your traits for healing:

Honesty - Power and Fate bonus with a nice armor bonus as well.

Officer of the Wardens of Westmarch - Landroval
    www.wardensofwestmarch.com

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

When are people going to realize that all the other classes use "magic".  If Turbine wanted to be very true to the lore, characters would heal each other using bandages and at the most, remedies provided by Elves or Rangers.  Captains would recruit their aides from barracks located in the various towns rather than summoning them up from thin air.  Loremasters would actually have to track down animals and tame them.  Let Turbine take some artistic liberties to make a game they feel is fun and entertaining for their players.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Dude, in the elder days, simply making a sword was considered magic. Hence "Pull the sword from the stone", as they were pored and cast in stone molds.

It’s kind of a non-issue.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

Scratched my head and tried to figure out if this article  was about the Rune-Keeper or if the reviewer had Tolkien issues, I'm still non the wiser to what this article was really about as I learnt absolutely nothing new from it.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i'd say this article was more about the dwarf starting area and lore than about runekeepers, oh well at least i got some information about starting over.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• TipaTipa Member Posts: 3

As a returning LotRO player, I was hoping that an article about restarting as a Rune Keeper would have some information about Rune Keepers. What annoying noise? What is the feel? You refer to these things but never explain what you mean.

If someone had played a Rune Keeper, they may have gotten something from this article, but I don't know what.

Next time, please title similar posts as "I made a new character in LotRO".

• blacktwarblacktwar Member Posts: 5

I think you would learn a whole lot more by simply creating a Rune-keeper, leveling him to at least lvl.10-15 and experience it for yourself. If you are a hack-n-slash player you won't like it, if you like playing a 'magic-based' toon then you will probably like it more. The review didn't say much 'about' Rune-keepers but simply reminded me that I should make one and see it first hand. The review should have been called 'Starting a Dwarven Rune-keeper Part 1- The first few levels'

• SabralaSabrala Member Posts: 4

I have started several alts, lots of them are elves.  I have yet to see a quest about a deer with it's foot caught in a bush.

• jusagamfrekjusagamfrek Member Posts: 56

I agree with a lot of the posts noted earlier - most of this article could have been written a month after the game released (if not before, considering the beta)  I was hoping this would have new information not only on what the Rune-Keeper was like, but whether there were any significant changes in the post-15 levels.  When the game was released I took a toon from each race to at least 15, and with my RK I didn't notice a change from my previous dwarves. (If you haven't yet tried the different races, I highly recommend it - the different stories are excellent.)  

I looked to this article hoping to find out if anything had changed for the 15-50 grind, since I haven't heard much since I walked away about a year ago.  The game is excellent, but I already slogged 2 toons to 50 back then.  My main reason for walking away was the lack of content - that 15-50 grind was nearly identical for both my minstrel and hunter.  I like the mechanics behind the RK, though the Warden might also be an excellent way to round out my character sheet since I lack a tank, but I'm not looking forward to it if little has changed.  Can anyone give me the lowdown on this aspect (aside from the 50-60 Moria content - already have one to 60 and will get the other there shortly)?

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

Unlike the author of this piece, I do enjoy playing alts, since I learn a lot more about other classes and how they play that way. I also think playing alts adds a new spin to the game, even if you are doing quests you have done before, if you are completing those quests on a different class.

That is sort of what I was expecting from this article, based on the title: a fresh look at the starter quests and a basic evaluation of how the RK class plays.

My own experience with the RK was not as positive, I guess, though I only got him to level 13 or 14 or so. Of the various classes I have played -- burglar, guardian, minstrel, captain, hunter, lore-master, and champion (all to at least the mid to upper 30s and several far beyond that point) -- I found my RK (also a dwarf) to be hands-down the least fun class to play.

A few of the reasons...

--the bug-zapping noise(s) of the various skills he used were annoying
    --the general squishiness of the class (light armor, slow inductions) was frustrating
    --the slowness of the attunement system was also frustrating
    --my own uncertainty about how a given runestone type really affected my skills overall
    --the fact that, in groups, 9 times out of 10 an RK is expected to heal and not dps

These are some of the reasons my RK has been parked in Ered Luin for many many weeks now, unplayed. Some of the posters here have given me *more* useful information than the original article and for that I am grateful. Most importantly, I have learned that the RK doesn't "shine" till level 15 or so. But I doubt I will go back to this class even so until I find an article that actually explains the class better and/or until Turbine fixes the sound effects for RKs, which I found really quite annoying.

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235

Yeah, I was looking to this article hoping for some kind of information on the new classes. I don't have the new expansion yet. January is always a poor month for me, because I'm always broke due to paying stuff off after Christmas. So, I wanted to see if there was anything interesting for me in the new expansion. I like to play the various classes, for many of the same reasons a previous poster stated. And I want to know what the two new ones are like. What I do in mmos is let myself have alt-itus for a good year or so, trying out every class and race. And after that, I decide on what suits me best for a main. Right now, my highest character in this game is level 15. *shrug* And as LotRO is my tertiary mmo, I have to wait another month or two at least to get the expansion.

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• SNievesSNieves Member Posts: 22

Over all, the writing on this site is subpar, at best.  Uninformed at worst.  Or rather, do not adequately share good information.  What type of a caster is the RuneKeeper?  Is it a support class like the Lore Master?  Can it deal out better damage than the lore master casting class?  How does it compare as a healer versus the Minstrel??

Forgive me as I write this from work so I don't know all the spell names off the top of the head but I can tell you how best to play this class.  I will share with you my experience having a level 25 Rune Keeper.

This class is not about casting a ton of spells and killing creatures quickly.  YOu will have to build DPS up and use your healing to support or you will die. 

Edit-Let me back up a bit, the Rune Keeper can be considered an elementalist  or even better put, a Shaman class as opposed to a true wizard or mage.  Their main spells are Fire, Frost, Electrical and Healing.  I have yet to see a "Wind" or "Earth" spell, which are probably reserved for Lore Masters.  Early levels, you will want to use your electrical spells a lot as that is what your trainer will feed you first.  Early on, you will want to have Electrical attuned stones equipped to maximize your spell use and damage potential.

Quick clarification as to the "flavor" by which this class cast spells. The Rune Keeper attunes herself to the type of spells she casts which is measured by an attunement meter. One side is the Offensive Spell side (left), the other side is the Healing (right) side. If you go full offensive, you lose access to most of you healing spells and vice versa. One spell (the FINGER spell that mezzes a target; Spell Name: Shocking Truth) will move your attunment to the middle one level. Casting more spells from the offensive side opens up more powerful offensive spells and vice versa.

When attacking a mob, you should ALWAYS drop a Rune of Restoration before getting into ANY fight with mobs.  Additionally, cast the spell with the HAND icon, this spell also heals you.  These two spells allow you to survive most encounters.  Wait until your attunement reaches "0" or the middle of the bar before casting offensive spells.  I cast the Fire ("FIST") Damage over Time spell  (Spell name: Fiery Ridicule) to start the encounter.  Once you get the debuffing (-run speed) frost spell (Spell name: Chilling Rhetoric), you can cast that to slow the target then hit it with Ridicule.  From there I put it down using electrical spells (Scribe Spark, Essence of the Storm, etc.).  You will later get better fire and frost "debuffs" ( Write of Cold and Fire) that will feed your higher fire and frost spells, but, so far at 25, Electrical seems to be the most numerous and powerful (with one spell that has a good chance to stun) .   Usually, by the time my attunement reaches the level at which I could cast those higher level offensive spells (Ceaseless Arguement, Essence of Winter, Scathing Mockery which is your first AOE spell), the target is dead.  Although the Lore Master is the "other" Offensive caster class, the Lore Master cannot kill as fast as a Rune Keeper.  The Lore Master relies on the pet keeping aggros while the Lore Master shoots it down.  Lore Master seems to take beatings better than a Rune Keeper but it just does not kill as fast as a Rune Keeper.  Plus, the Rune Keeper has the RK's healing spells which are not as restrictive as the Lore Masters (try healing up in a fight with a Lore Master; unless the target is stunned you will get hit and your channeling spells is interrupted).   You have other spells that help you heal and two that will Mezz a target, one of which affects a target attacking you. These spells are essential when taking on multiple mobs and/or elites.  

The Rune Keeper has the advantage as an offensive spell casting class over both the Lore Master and Minstrel-it can drop healing over time spells (as mentioned above) while casting her offensive spells on a target and not having to stop to heal.  A definite advantage over the two classes.

Just had a thought: the Minstrel changes (Battle / Healing) seem to have been a "test" for the Rune Keeper class. 

I didn't realize how powerful the healing of a Rune Keeper was until I went into the Great Barrows instance as the sole healer of the group.  With the Rune of Restoration and 3 other heal spells (Prelude to HOpe, Mending Verse, Write of Health) available at level 19, we only wiped on a bad bull and once on the first boss (twin undead for the keys) in west side of instance.  Other than that, the Rune Keeper was effective in keeping the group alive.  At one point, the guardian and I had to run back together to get into the instance.  Some elites spiders respawned and we were able to handle the spiders....realize it was just the two of us and, again, my rune keeper was only level 19. 

The Rune Keeper has the real potential of being a Minstrel replacement with additional abilities that I have yet to see from a Minstrel: continous healing and very good spot healing as necessary.  Not too mention protective abilities (above mentioned mezz spells)  a Minstrel doesn't seem to have (yes, Minstrels have a shout, but  what about a continual "buff" [Spell name: Armour of Storm] that mezzes attackers if they hit you?). 

Right now my Rune Keeper is haunting both the North Downs and Lone Lands moving back and forth as quests turn a friendlier color (lower than red) handling herself very well.  Dieing isn't as constant.  For quests such as taking on the Half Orc captain or the Elite Dwarves in the Lone Lands, you want to bring a tank, other than that, there isn't much a Rune Keeper can handle if played right (HEAL SPELLS FIRST!).

All in all, I think the Rune Keeper is the better of the two classes introduced with Moria because of it's usefulness and utility.  Soloing, so far, has not been hard.  As a support class, it is superb.  Team up with a Champion or a Guardian and there isn't much the two can't put down. 

I will try to edit this later as I remember the spells.  Hope this helps people decide to actually give the class a try.

Hasta.

Nieves.

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235

Great post, Nieves! That made me consider getting the expansion. [I'm very casual on LotRO]

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• SNievesSNieves Member Posts: 22

Edited my post with some of the spell names.

BTW:  rune keepers run out of power fast.  That's where potions and a spell that restores power comes in handy.

Oh and they can resurrect too! 

Hasta.

• gillaynegillayne Member Posts: 17

Another player with Alt-itus here, started Warden and RK as soon as I got MoM, and didnt bother taking my main(s) into Moria itself for almost two weeks.

As most posters have said, you cant tell what a class is really like below 15, personally I dont beleive they are fully started until level 20.

RKs have very little problem surviving solo battles, providing you get into the habit of starting your Heal-over-Time spells before going into battle. Their damage output seems to be high enough to finish the encounter while still under the effects of the HoT.

They have excelent damage output, and their group healing abilities are adequate to the challenges for their level. However, for crowd control I would rank them 4th or 5th, below Loremasters, Burgs, minstrels and possibly hunters. Their primary Mezz is short duration, touch range; secondary is a lightning spell with a chance to stun, again very short duration, and the defensive armour with a stun chance requires a "lightning attuned" runestone weapon to be equipped. LotRO doesn't really give a lot of choice with what gear is available at various levels... so the RK starts with lightning runestones, but later on they all seem to be Fire attuned.. which gives damage but no stun. Later still there are Ice runestones, but I havent reached them yet.

As an aside, the Runekeeper appears to be totally dependant on their runestone for all actions, Silence - such as the water inside Fornost - will affect some skills, but being disarmed will blank out all your skills.

One of the pseudo CC options is the 'baywatch' spell, Chilling Rhetoric,  which slows the target to 25% speed for its duration, or until broken, So with 2 targets start Fiery Ridicule on one (slow induction), switch to the other and cast chilling rhetoric on it, then switch back to the first.. and nuke it til its dead - the other should have about reached you by now.

With RKs weakness at CC, plus a dearth of AoE spells, they really struggle soloing against multiple targets, such as the goblin/boggart areas in Evendim (by struggle, I mean they die).

Another 'problem' with RKs, is that they are High damage/ High heal output class, and thus aggro magnets in groups. This was something I noticed when teamed with RKs with my Warden, I could not pull the mobs away from the RK. This may be partly the RK players not doing anything to reduce their threat generation, partly the Wardens weak aggro grabbing ability ... these were in the Dol Dinen areas of North Downs, low to mid 30 levels.

All in all, I do like the Runekeeper, It is good at what it does, but not over powered. I do hope that it has some utility abilities, beyond simple nuke and heal.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us.
    Now .. Go away.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Rune-keeper is an very nice class..it can deal high-damage and has strong heals over time. OP? certainly not...if u take away the 2 stuns and 2 slows they got..they have cloth armour (even ministrels have medium armor) and they take huge hits when attacked by groups. Still when played well this is an very good soloing class and if u take it carefull u can rule the world without anyone ever noticing :D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED