Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Me and a friend trying daoc

so ye, I've been reading forums latley about Daoc, and although I've heard its quite dead, I've also heard the population is gradualy increasing and also that there is still far more fun to be had than on warhammer.

Where both EU players, but from what I've read EU servers are completly dead, so we'll be going on the US trial.

Is there any recemendations to what server we should go on? Preferably the busier the better, not expecting anything like wow or warhammers population but someone to ask for help now and again would be nice.

Hope origins come, because if it does I will 100% start the game.

Thanks

Comments

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

Although I completely dis-agree with the classic servers, as I feel they take a lot away from the game.

The classic server will be your best bet for high population or what is left for DAoC.

The non classic servers I would say are more fun, however they are dependent on players to get things accomplished.

Classic servers are more stripped down bare bone kinda way to play DAoC, but then again that is where you are going to find the high pop. So I would say go there.

• IonselonIonselon Member Posts: 248

If I were going back to DAoC, it would be to the classic server.  The Trials of Atlantis expansion ruined the game (and Mythic agrees).

When you pick a class, make sure it has a ranged attack.  I played a Paladin and in RvR, he had no role at all.  RvR usually was casters/ranged attackers on each side nuking each other while the stealthers slipped around back of the healers.

In PvE, the Paladin was awesome and always welcome in groups.

I really enjoyed DAoC, then ToA released. (:

Ion

EDIT:  I would definitely recommend trying it out.  Also, crafting can be fun if you like to do that.

• IxbenixIxbenix Member Posts: 3

Would you even say its worth trying to start it? Or would you say I could still really enjoy myself?

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130

I agree that classic servers are the way to go if you want higher population.  Although I like the regular servers better,the  classic ones are not so bad.   They are nostalgic for me since they are the closest to the way the game was at initial release, and to this day...DAOC has the best RvR concept out there.    I don't understand why other games have not copied the DAOC  RvR model.  It was so much fun.  Anyway, best of luck in Albion, Midgard or Hibernia.  (I'm partial to Midgard myself :)

and YES!  Its worth starting and you WILL have fun!

Originally posted by Ionselon

If I were going back to DAoC, it would be to the classic server.  The Trials of Atlantis expansion ruined the game (and Mythic agrees).
    When you pick a class, make sure it has a ranged attack.  I played a Paladin and in RvR, he had no role at all.  RvR usually was casters/ranged attackers on each side nuking each other while the stealthers slipped around back of the healers.
    In PvE, the Paladin was awesome and always welcome in groups.
    I really enjoyed DAoC, then ToA released. (:
    Ion

You have to look at it from different perspectives. You also have to know the history of DAoC.

What this guy is talking about is only half true.

ToA ruined the game for 2 classes of players.

1. PvPers who couldn't gain access to Artifacts and Master Levels because of low guild member count, in-ability to spend the time needed to gain said items and levels or laziness. You can take your pick it varies by user.

and

2. PvEers who couldn't gain access to Artifacts and Master Levels because of low guild member count, in-ability to spend the time needed to gain said items and levels, or failure to understand artifact encounters and fail on gaining them.

Players who benefited from ToA were guilds and players who could achieve what was needed to become superior in PvP and RvR with said artifacts and levels.

This pitted the elite crowd against the casual crowd and started a internal struggle that ultimately ruined DAoC.

Mythic admits they should never have forced raiding as a primary focus of an RvR game AND that linking raiding items to a players RvR ability was a bad idea. That is hindsight though what is done is done.

I always found that the classic servers were put in place to give the whiners a place to go because expansive DAoC was to hard for them, they couldn't gain what was needed to compete so they just gave up and wanted somewhere else to play.

Mythic obliged them with the classic server rules and server. YAY!

The only thing I think the classic server do that non classic servers SHOULD DO is restricting the buff bot issue. Other than that Classic is a watered down baby version of DAoC.

Anyway, since that time of the ToA debacle and the dissolution of Non-classic to classic, mythic put some steps in place that allow non classic servers to be very fun and enjoyable!

What did they do you may ask? They made much of the content for artifacts or ML raids soloable or at the most require 8 players, which is still easily done nowadays.

They also made the books needed for artifacts and the artifacts themselves purchasable with Bounty Points from PvP.... which in hindsight is what they should have done from the get go... Had they done this years ago there would be no classic servers.

So yeah all the whiner complaints on non classic have since been rectified and the servers are very much fun still to this day. However the population is prolly lower than classic, because all the elite and hardcore, moved on to other games years ago.

Welcome to DAoC!!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Skydragonren gave a sugar coated explanation of DAoC's ToA expansion. The simple realistic version of what ToA did was turn the original gameplay of strategy and tactics in RvR into a FPS. ToA did not help increase the games value in any way. RvR was better before it and RvR on classic servers is better without it.

Rhoklaw that is a matter of opinion.

Just because you didn't get to ML 10 and got some nice artifacts which ruined your experience in RvR.

Putting you at either 1. or 2. of my post doesn't mean some of us didn't and had a great time in RvR.

RvR is just as fun with the artifacts as opposed to being without them.

I will admit at the time of ToA being released, it was a pain in the ass to gear out for RvR, and it took much time, blood sweat and tears to get what you needed.

However many of us succeeded and the game was fine.

My analysis of ToA wasn't suger coated. I said it was hard, I said you needed great guilds, and much time on your hands to succeed.

However the fact still remains that all of that is over with now, and those ML's and Arti's are very easily farmable nowadays, and guess what they are actually enjoyable encounters.

To tell a new players he needs to go to classic simply because you didn't have a croc dagger when you played is simply opinion based and biased.

In my original reply to this thread if you scroll up, you will see I told this person to head to classic because that is where the players are. What you will also see though is me telling him if he does he is missing out on about 60% of DAoC conent, that back in the day might have been impossible to experience, but today however is very easy and enjoyable.

Don't listen to Rhoklaw OP, if you enjoy PvE raids and encounters, mucho bosses and 10 times the cooler armor, you go ahead and check out the normal servers, if you find you don't like it, nothing to it but to reroll to classic.

OR

Roll on classic and have some fun, if your finding that the world is a bit lacking and you wanna experience everything DAoC has to offer, just reroll on normal servers and go see it.

Either way DAoC is the best PvP/RvR game on the planet, and your gonna have fun regardless as long as people are there to play.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I guess its just me but I don't think the OP was looking for a debate on ToA..

The classic servers or cluster to be more accurate did have the highest populations.

However, I would suggest watching www.camelotherald.com

you can see what the numbers are per cluster...

For a while now I think Devon has been higher than Bossiney.. hate calling it that I always want to go back to "gareth".

I'm not sure it really matters where you go if you want to try the game.  There are going to be very high RR players in gear you won't have access to right off regardless.  As far as artifacts etc its much easier to get done now than it used to be.. no comparison really.

Just depends on what you are looking for.. I honestly have no idea what type of play is still going on..  you might have better luck on the daoc vn forums to get an idea of what the current "in game" is like for various clusters.

Just don't get down reading the average VN post... it can be a funny place but it is also a very large bridge with many trolls under it.

• MallarkyMallarky Member Posts: 73

Devon has the highest pop, not the Classic cluster.  TOA is a moot point now, as all items and MLs can be got from RvR nowadays.  I always had more fun with TOA items, and MLs, it added more depth to the gameplay.