Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Do You Get, "Into" Eve?

MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230

I hear so many people rave about how great EVE Online, but I tried the trial and wasn't that impressed.

Well, I'll rephrase that. For everything that did impress me, there was something that equally depressed me. The sheer massive-ness of the game is something to be reckened with, but the more I played of the trial the less impressed I was in the space I was in. So at first, I was super-impressed about this game, but then I started doing auto-pilot and between going into planets and realising that this game is really, really empty. The more I played the more I felt it was void of content - the irregularities of going into stars and planets to mine some astroids (that are smaller than said planets and stars).

You have an avatar, but you never use it. You have a name, but you live inside of a ship. And either it is impossible to just regularly move, or you have to literally point and click. I hate having to point and click everytime I want to go somewhere; it is annoying and shouldn't be needed. I read about corporations, but I honestly never met anyone in game because it was so vast. I didn't like the fact that you lose everything when you die (I mean, why don't they just call it permadeath?), and the fact that you couldn't build your skills made it feel like you didn't even have any, and that what you were doing online was less important than the simple seniority complex. 

Honestly, when I left the EVE trial I left as if I had only learned a very small portion of the game, but I of the very small portion I did play I didn't feel like it was worth looking at the entire picture.

I would just like someone to prove me wrong about my accusations ... show me how this game is so great. 

Comments

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432

Well for starters you can have a clone that saves your skill points. If you die you resurrect at the station where you've stored your clone. You lose everything on your ship as well as your implants. However, if you have insurance for your ship it will mitigate your loss.

For me, EVE is all about the planning and general geekery like numbers and averages and stuff.

Also, I couldn't play EVE if it weren't for EVEMon. I'd get quickly overwhelmed with managing my 8 characters. Even with only one character it certainly increases the fun factor by 10.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• fischsemmelfischsemmel Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Originally posted by Mackerni

Honestly, when I left the EVE trial I left as if I had only learned a very small portion of the game, but I of the very small portion I did play I didn't feel like it was worth looking at the entire picture.

You were very right when you said this. The eve trial is far to short for a player to come close to experiencing all the game has to offer. Really though, all I can say is that Eve isn't for everyone.

It's hard to get into Eve. It takes time to learn how to train skills and which ones you should be training. It's hard to master the art of making money. It's hard to learn how to find a good corporation. Etc.

But seriously. If you "never met anyone" in Eve... you didn't try to meet anyone AT ALL. Eve is big, but any starting system you would have been placed in would have had dozens of other players in it. Just because you can't physicall walk up to someone and /wave at them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Frankly I would say Eve isn't the game for you. You are hung up on having a face but not a body and on the way you pilot a ship... and I'm sorry but as I read your post I just was hearing you say "Dude! I can't /dance with people! I can't see my new cloak on my character! I'm not force-fed quests to do! This game is empty!"

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by kedoremos

Well for starters you can have a clone that saves your skill points. If you die you resurrect at the station where you've stored your clone. You lose everything on your ship as well as your implants. However, if you have insurance for your ship it will mitigate your loss.

For me, EVE is all about the planning and general geekery like numbers and averages and stuff.

Also, I couldn't play EVE if it weren't for EVEMon. I'd get quickly overwhelmed with managing my 8 characters. Even with only one character it certainly increases the fun factor by 10.

1. I didn't know about a clone system. I really didn't understand what I was doing when I was doing it, however...

2. How I get maximum-ly involved in these numbers and averages? I actually like math and wouldn't mind dealing with that.

3. I don't even know what EVEMon is. What is it?

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

I would just like someone to prove me wrong about my accusations ... show me how this game is so great. 

I would but everything you said is completely true, though you might find things more to your liking after Ambulation comes in later this year.

People rave about EvE because it's not WoW, doesn't try to be WoW, and has a very strong appeal to a very specific segment of gamers, namely those who fit into any of these categories (the more, the better)

• Like challenge.  You can not be bad and succeed in EvE, not even for one day.  Every action involves real risk, beyond just wasting your time like in other MMOs.
    • Like to think.  EvE is much more cerebral than visceral.
    • Want a game where your guild / corporation is more than a chat channel and a tag under your name.  Corporations are central to EvE.
    • Like to build their own character and not follow a class template
    • Want a game where everyone can play together without being segregated by some kind of arbitrary 'level' where they have to complete some mandatory grind before they can even pretend to be useful.
    • Want a game with no mandatory grinding.
    • Want a game with a functioning economy and where crafters actually serve a major role and not just a sideshot
    • Want a game where content never becomes obsolete
    • Want a game where new players can compete against older players without being at a huge disadvantage simply because they're new.
    • Want a game that's not about gear.
    • Want a game with minimal 'twitch' aspects.
    • Want a game that's about the game, not some end-game everyone eventually gets forced into
    • Want a game where you follow your own path, not some path the devs have set out for you.
    • Want a game that rewards innovative and/or crafty players, instead of nerfing, banning, or otherwise punishing them.

Of course, all that sounds good but the end results that a lot of people can't deal with are that you are fully accountable for your own actions, you are expected to find your own path and not chase a carrot on a stick, and be able to deal with risk.  It's not for everyone, it doesn't try to be, doesn't want to be, because people who like EvE tend to stay for a long time, much longer than in other MMOs.  I believe I read that something like 50% of the release players from 5 years ago are still playing - how many other MMOs can claim retention like that?

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I like to run profitablity calcs on XXX item for production...  Then laugh my ass off at how much "time" people are losing in some cases.   Very sucessful and interesting PvP in that case.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by fischsemmel

Frankly I would say Eve isn't the game for you. You are hung up on having a face but not a body and on the way you pilot a ship... and I'm sorry but as I read your post I just was hearing you say "Dude! I can't /dance with people! I can't see my new cloak on my character! I'm not force-fed quests to do! This game is empty!"

really resent the way you place me into the category of linear-thinking Warcraft'ers just because I simply did not enjoy my experience at EVE Online.

Frankly there are just some things about EVE Online that make it an un-acceptable game to me. I don't care how 'sandbox-y' it is, if it has NO twitch elements, I just can't play it. One thing that I've always liked about MMOs was the immersion and after the character creation process, I did not feel it what-so-ever. 

Don't get me wrong. I don't like to be 'force-fed quests'. I want a MMO to allow me to make quests for others to embark on. They really just haven't made the MMO for me yet. I'm really looking for something inbetween Spore-The Sims-Civilization-Star Wars Galaxies with a MMO twist and some original ideas to throw into the ring. 

Just don't throw me into the 'you're too dumb to play EVE' ring just because I don't like it. I don't like it because I'm dumb, I don't like it because I have other tastes.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

really resent the way you place me into the category of linear-thinking Warcraft'ers just because I simply did not enjoy my experience at EVE Online. 

Quite possibly the greatest thing about EvE is that if you don't like someone, you can shoot them and take all their stuff. 

But you tried it, you didn't like it, you said why, you asked why other people like it, we answered.  This is the part where all agree we have different tastes and go on with our lives.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

EVE is a very niche game, as was stated above the geekiness appeals to some. Also, as stated above the trial is to short to really get into the game, to know the other players and what is really going on with the politics and player interaction.

This is the draw back to EVE, you have to spend alot of time playing in order to get anything out of it. unlike many MMOs that are very here and now, EVE is much more subtle some time to much so.

EVE is just not for everyone, doesn't make it a bad game or those who don't like it less of a gamer. Just the way it is.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• StarDaggerStarDagger Member Posts: 135

1) find a guide on how to make a good character

2) find eve university. Stay there until you are clued in.

3) join a 0.0 alliance.  Learn the ways of the 0.0 jedi

4) Help your alliance take over 0.0

5) Goto websites outside of eve and help new people

S*D

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

oh yet another thread about this
    i see in the OP the lack of knowledge which means:
    1) you dont know about the official eve-online wikipedia
    2) you dont read the stick of this section tool and tips or the links sticky
    3)you dont read the official stick from the official forums Q&A section

my tip is read this PDF and you will have the basic knowledge for many aspects of eve-online

BestSigEver :P

• TorginTorgin Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by x_rast_x

[snip]

Like challenge.  You can not be bad and succeed in EvE, not even for one day.  Every action involves real risk, beyond just wasting your time like in other MMOs.
    Like to think.  EvE is much more cerebral than visceral.
    Want a game where your guild / corporation is more than a chat channel and a tag under your name.  Corporations are central to EvE.
    Like to build their own character and not follow a class template
    Want a game where everyone can play together without being segregated by some kind of arbitrary 'level' where they have to complete some mandatory grind before they can even pretend to be useful.
    Want a game with no mandatory grinding.
    Want a game with a functioning economy and where crafters actually serve a major role and not just a sideshot
    Want a game where content never becomes obsolete
    Want a game where new players can compete against older players without being at a huge disadvantage simply because they're new.
    Want a game that's not about gear.
    Want a game with minimal 'twitch' aspects.
    Want a game that's about the game, not some end-game everyone eventually gets forced into
    Want a game where you follow your own path, not some path the devs have set out for you.
    Want a game that rewards innovative and/or crafty players, instead of nerfing, banning, or otherwise punishing them.

The thing that most disappoints me about EVE (besides the game) is how superior some of its players act. Even using the points you listed, EVE fails in the eyes of many. EVE has about the same challenge level as any other game out there. EVE really isn't that visceral; I think you may want to check your definitions, because it is about as visceral as using ETRADE to buy some stocks. Not only ARE there class templates, the research and manufacturing system painfully enforces them. Grinding is EVERYWHERE in the game, whether it is mining asteroids for hours or repeating the same missions to get standing up. The fact that most corps (guilds) will only take players with a minimum number of skill points shows that players DO have to complete some arbitrary levels before they become useful. And new players CAN NOT COMPETE with older players without being at a huge disadvantage - ship size, manufacturing ability, what equipment can be used, etc... are all better for older players than newer ones.

EVE is a unique game that some people will find interesting. In the end, though, it isn't that profound or even deeper than any other game out there - it just explores certain avenues that other games have ignored. In fact, a big chunk of EVE revolves around this simple concept: buy low, sell high. Grasp that concept, and EVE is cake.

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

you can't be proven wrong as what you are talking about is the opinions you have formed based on your preferences. you have your right to them as i have a right to mine.

I will try to explain a bit about why I like though.

You have an avatar, but you never use it. You have a name, but you live inside of a ship.

i wrote this elswhere and i think it applies here

Originally posted by nurgles
    One of the most common criticisms of EVE is that you are only a spaceship. I find this very puzzling and missing one of the points of the story aspects of the game. A very simple way to put this is that the EVE pod pilot is transhuman. Technology has lifted them beyond the normal mortal concerns; they are effectively immortal and extend their awareness within aircraft carrier sized spaceships. The spaceships become an extension of their identity, however one that can be modified at will (depending on budget and training). In the words of the developers, “the eve pod pilot is considered a god amongst men”.So when I see someone unable to grasp that a ship and an avatar can represent your character I assume they have not thought through how the impact of the environment that pod pilot would experiences would have on their sense of identity. They are simply not human anymore so why would they expose their vulnerable meat puppet to danger outside of the identity recording device in the pod?I know that a lot of people can’t get away from the idea of being human first and foremost, that transhumanism is out of their ideas of what can happen to humans in a science fiction setting.

I read about corporations, but I honestly never met anyone in game because it was so vast.

this takes effort on the behalf of the player. It also take some time to make connections and develop trust etc. Here is the latest political map. The central blue area is empire, all the other areas are player controled or contested.

To me the fact that these regions change hands and have a history as part of a single server persistent world rock my boat. You have a developed history that was made by players and a future to be built by them. Do you want to be part of that future? This is what keeps me playing.

didn't like the fact that you lose everything when you die (I mean, why don't they just call it permadeath?)

Ok, others have pointed out about the cloning and that with reasonable precautions you will never loose skill points. I would like to elaborate of the 'stuff being destroyed issue'

I am sure you had a bit of a look at the market. What i am not sure yo realized is that almost all the items on the market are put there by players. There are very few items that npcs supply. There is of course items that are obtained from npcs (loot drops from npc, mining for minerals, exploration site yield a lot of gear) but for the bulk of the items they are manufactured by players as well.

So the market is player driven, as is supply. Blowing stuff up keeps the economy vibrant (or simply alive) keeps demand going. Every time you buy something from the market you are interacting with other players, this only works because of the persistent world single server philosophy.

I can see your point of view that the game lacks interest for you, that you feel isolated, but for me i feel deeply conected due to the things i have mentioned above. The issue of excitement may be more of what you have a problem with. Flying solo, and limiting your interaction to npcs really is terminally dull in this game. You need to first see where you interact with other players and then develop interest and excitement associated with those connections. The gameplay (point and click) may still be the killer for you, but the tactical setup part (how to fit your ship), battlefield tactics (what/when/ and how to engage), strategic portion (territorial warfare) may offer interest if you got into it.

Then there is what has been keeping me excited for a while now (although, i am heading back to null sec for a renewed bout of violence) which is the excitement of the market. This weekend in Rens (the Minmatar trade hub) someone screwed with the supply of T2 1NM Micro warp drives. This item is made by players and sells for about 2.5-3 mil isk. Someone purchased all of them that were on the market (about 1000 units, normal turnover is about 100 units a day) and then listed some at 2.5 bil isk. What they were counting on was someone that had billions of isk in their account, not looking carefully at the market when they by one for their frigate and actually buying this item for such an outragous price (NO REFUNDS). So it was a high risk con, all they have to do to make their money back is have 2 players make this mistake.

Pretty exciting stuff, that is a lot of in game credit at risk.

What i did was take my 20 units of T2 1NM Micro warp drives and list them at 5 mil. this is twice the value i can sell them for normally and still make a profit. It screws up the plan of the guy above and he has a choice, continue to strip the market of the lower priced modules (i profit and then i list another 20 at 10 mil each exploiting him) or let them sell and he has missed his window to recover costs.

The market is quite an exciting place.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

just want to add one thing @ that map. that is the political map look at this image forchanges made by players day by day

http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/influence.png

BestSigEver :P

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

The bottom line is that EVE isn't for everyone. It's also a game that most people don't "get" after just 1 run through the trial. Most folks I know that have stuck with eve played through the free trial period 2 or 3 times before they really 'got' EVE. Many of them hated it the first time through but tried it again and got more curious then tried it the 3rd time and everything started to 'click' for them.

Most who have stuck with EVE really and truly love it. Some play EVE because it's the only modern skill-based (rather than class/level based) MMO remaining on the market right now.

Personally I love that in EVE the sky, literally, is the limit on what I can do or achieve in the game. It's fun determining what goals I want to reach and then actually doing it.

Oh... as to it not being twitch? Nope... it's not... then again you aren't some dude with a sword smacking at another dude with a sword. Hell, you aren't even a fighter pilot dogfighting another fighter. The smallest combat ship in EVE is a frigate. Go look up frigates on Google and see how big they are now... then multiply that by about 100 and you get an idea of the size of the ships you're talking about.

These are huge ships flying in space. The drones that most of them carry are 'fighters'. Even some of the smallest frigates often carry a couple drones on board. So expecting EVE to be 'twitch' is a bit silly.

That said once you start really getting into the game you don't mind the lack of twitch combat so much. I myself love twitch style games too. But EVE just wouldn't work that way.

At any rate... if you don't like it, that's cool. You asked why we do. We answered. Just because you don't/can't/won't understand our reasons doesn't make them any less valid.

As stated by me, and many others:
    EVE is not a game for everyone. Some like it, some love it, some don't care, some don't like and some downright hate it. Doesn't really matter to me. I enjoy it. And, right now, in my opinion it's the best MMORPG on the market.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Taram

The bottom line is that EVE isn't for everyone. It's also a game that most people don't "get" after just 1 run through the trial. Most folks I know that have stuck with eve played through the free trial period 2 or 3 times before they really 'got' EVE. Many of them hated it the first time through but tried it again and got more curious then tried it the 3rd time and everything started to 'click' for them.

I think this should emphasized much stronger.  I'm one of those players who played my first free trail a few months ago and was thoroughly unimpressed.  Last week I signed up again convinced that I was missing the big picture.  This time it is beginning to 'click' and I'm hooked.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RazotRazot Member Posts: 81

I hear so many people rave about how great EVE Online, but I tried the trial and wasn't that impressed.
    Well, I'll rephrase that. For everything that did impress me, there was something that equally depressed me. The sheer massive-ness of the game is something to be reckened with, but the more I played of the trial the less impressed I was in the space I was in. So at first, I was super-impressed about this game, but then I started doing auto-pilot and between going into planets and realising that this game is really, really empty. The more I played the more I felt it was void of content - the irregularities of going into stars and planets to mine some astroids (that are smaller than said planets and stars).
    You have an avatar, but you never use it. You have a name, but you live inside of a ship. And either it is impossible to just regularly move, or you have to literally point and click. I hate having to point and click everytime I want to go somewhere; it is annoying and shouldn't be needed. I read about corporations, but I honestly never met anyone in game because it was so vast. I didn't like the fact that you lose everything when you die (I mean, why don't they just call it permadeath?), and the fact that you couldn't build your skills made it feel like you didn't even have any, and that what you were doing online was less important than the simple seniority complex. 

Translation:

Wheres the NPC that says "For the Horde"?

• NathbonnNathbonn Member Posts: 9

Hi man, trust me I know how you are feeling about the game, I'vebeen laying eve for around 6 months now and still have a crap load to learn, did I want to quit when I first started? hell yeah, this game in truth intimidaited me. but the thought of going back to any other MMO that are all basically the same scared me even more, So I stuck at EvE because I knew deep down that this game was deeper than any otherout there.

The learning curve for this game really does seperate the strong from the weak (not saying you are weak, it's just a term) but there is a reason why this learning cure is so harsh. The people who get past this are usually the kind of people who have patiants and can keep cailm, very rare I hear the word "n00b" and all that crap in the EvE channels which I found very refreshing.

Yes, EvE is big, but what you need to remember is that there is only one server, EvEs server actually has the most people in anyone place at any one time, it may feel empty but trust me, as you progress further into the game you will realise that the game is packed out with sites like complexes, playerowned stations and such, there is a ton of things you can do in EvE which YOU decide to do, you are not molded into anything, in the eve FAQ it says something along the lines of  "you can liturally carve out your proffesion" which is very true.

When I started plying this game I was in a random corp and they had a guy who had been in the corp for over a month, he stole all the corps good, ships, moduals and such, this is a part of the game, it was later found out that he did this as a profession, going to corps gaining their trust then ripping them off, in other MMOs this may be an offence ect, not in eve, these type of actions are encouraged.

About avatar, I understand what you mean here, but trust me, spending a month training skills so you can jump into a nice, new shiny, bigger, stronger or more advanced ship will make you have the feeling you are looking for 10 fold than seeing your character you can reate in any other MMO, just for the fact people have spent so long training for it, avatar in EvE are the ships. also there is chatter about some kind of ship design feature being added in the future, although I dont know if this is just chit chat.

About corps, you said you never met anyone? seriously dude, you did not try hard enough, there are a heap of people to talk to in EvE, if you click the channel listings icon you can join a recruitment channel, you could find a corp in a matter of mins to join. use the features of the game help you.

When you die you leave a "wreck" if you go to a station in your pod and get anoher ship you can go back to your wrech and collect anything that is left behinde, yes you will lose some mods but you will save some also, salvage you wreck and there you go, the loss of the ship should be minimal for starter players like yourselfif you have insurence which should cover most of the costs, also you have to make sure you have a clone that covers your skill points if you get pod killed, you can minimase your loss greatly in EvE if you keep track of things.

I think your EvE trail went bad because you expected something or wanted somethin to be different and I get the feeling you ARE looking for a challenge and my advise would be this.

Try another EvE trail, PLAN your first month or so, so you do not get overwhelmed with all the skills (to train all the skills in eve to 5 would take you like15 years or something) you have to have a goal, like what ship you want to fly, mission runner or pvper, trader ect, JOIN A CORP! corps in EvE are no just something pointless, these are well oiled systems, corps are a massive part of the game, like I said before, you cannot do everything in eve so everyone has their own jobs and services to provide for the corp, trust me, JOIN A CORP, most corps are eager to help new players and intergraite them into their corp, you will get tons of help in these corps.

Use EVEmon http://evemon.battleclinic.com this is a nice program to planwhat skills you want to train, research skills and decide what you would like to do, this shows the time it will take ect.

Last of all, give it time, if you cannot give eve time it wont give you anything back, EVE is like a fine wine IMO, it seriously gets better with age.

Hope I have conviced you to give eve another go, This could be the biggest Post I have ever made lol, the only reason I have done this is because I know exactly where you are coming from, I was there 6 months ago.

Take care

Sorry for crappy typing and spelling im in a rush.

• KexinKexin Member UncommonPosts: 69

This game is what Vanguard was trying to be all along. The difference being, EvE actually works though Eve lack the "set piece" display of structures and grand cities of Vanguard. But this world is more about the players and what they can do to directly impact their world, not static cities with hundreds of NPCs. I have never seen an MMO like this before, where anything is possible and how the players can actually stake their claims in it.

I'm on my first week now, I after being able to comprehend, in a tiny way what Eve is all about...it  totally blew my mind. I mean this $hit is unreal. I'm so in awe of it all that I've decided to sub for 3 months, in this economy that is not an action that I take lightly.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I seriously love this game.

I've played so many MMOs and none of them come close to Eve.

Once playing Eve i found it almost impossible to go back to other mmos.

These games just couldn't compete with the feature list of Eve the amount of customization and character development. The Lore and Racial Conflict in Eve surpass anything in any other game that wasnt created more then ten years ago (UO/EQ).

After almost two years playing Eve i still consider myself a newish player, I still read game guides and get into a new playstyle. Its always something different Like running  a Mining Op with my corporation to a 500 v 500 Epic battle for my alliances PoS to me Exploring the far reaches of space with a cloaked vessel and scanning out Complexes.

This game has hooked me, I enjoy spending time with my corpmates helping them make their mark in New Eden. The game is unlike anything I've ever played, It's like an alternate reality. things in Eve matter, We dont just run dungeons collecting gear in a treadmill or que up for controlled pvp for vendor gear, Here we live out our lives as Pirates,explorers,soldiers,Traders, Miner, business tychoons, scammers and much much more.

To the OP: playing Eve for 2-3 weeks staying in high sec only running missions and mining and never talking to any corp isnt really playing eve. this game is so much more, I was just like you I had to run eves trial alomst four times before it got a hold of me. Things like being a spaceship and the slow combat and warp travel get better over time trust me.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

EVE is like a PhD, not everyone wants to (or has the ability to) attain such levels of expertise.

PC Gaming is a hobby.  One that I engage in will over 40 hours a week.  I want something that will stimulate, reward and challenge me in an ongoing basis.  Some people want to max out their options in a month, that is fine, go play WOW (I'm happy Blizzard is so successful, give us more Diablo and Starcraft!).

As for me, I play other games outside of EVE, but I always come back, knowing that the deepest and most rewarding gameplay is to be found there.  Is she perfect, no.  Is CCP working towards an even greater and more complex game, yes.

If you are at all a serious PC gamer, try EVE out for at least 6 to 10 months.  And do it in 0.0, not empire.  I daresay that you will, at very least, come away with a deep abiding respect for the elite gamers found therein, and you might just find a "game" that will be with you for many years to come.

My singular regret with eve is that I didn't start earlier, that someone didn't shake my head and yell TRY THIS GAME!!!  So I am here, regularly pontificating, on the singular achievement of excellence that is EVE Online.

Yours in EVE Plasma,

Star*Dagger

• SpyridonZSpyridonZ Member Posts: 289

I know many people that felt the same way as you when they initially tried, including myself actually.

First off, to have fun in this game for most people I know, you have to stop with the mining and missioning and get in to PvP first. If you want to mine or mission, that is fine, but I suggest trying the PvP BEFORE this.

Why? Because to have an "established" missioning character, you will need a couple months of SP, and alot of ISK. You are best off sticking with the small ships, actually experiencing the game, and attempting to interact with others and have fun. Work your skills out so that you can pilot those small ships THEN move up to the bigger ships. Lets say you head straight for a battleship - when its time to equip it with weapons, you will have to riase your SMALL weapons first (the ones frigs use) then medium weapons (the ones cruisers/bc's use). If you dont have those, plus the equivalent for armor, power management, etc, you will perform BETTER in a smaller ship, yet it will be much cheaper.

You may be worried that frigates are too weak, but when it comes to PvP, they really are not. They are some of the most survivable ships in the game, and due to the large variety of frig-sized ships there are quite a bit of different builds you could do. Smaller ships are harder to hit. Other frigate-sized ships can hit you, but larger ships will have problems if you are flying "sideways" across their line of sight. This is what that orbit command is good for - if you get in to orbit around a ship larger then a frig, and you fit yourself for PvP, they will NOT be able to hit you. I got in to a fight the other day in my Rifter - a tier 1 frigate - and I had all tier 1 gear on. I was ttaking a try at a cruiser that was following me. He hit me pretty hard as I came in towards him (he was about 20-30k away), so I started "circling in" on him a bit wider. If I went straight towards him, I would be toast - I had to "dodge" his shots. He still caught me on and off, and had me all the way down to structure and got me to half. Thats when I got close enough to get an orbit around him, I was safe. I had a change to regen up a bit, but this is when 2 of his friends came in to the mix. Tried to warp but I had a disruptor on me - and then a Falcon jammed me so I knew I was pretty much done. So instead of just giving up, I stalled as long as  I could and hoped to get far enough away to get a lucky warp off. They got me, but I survived with all 3 of them on me for probably 2-3 minutes because I actively kept circling them and managing myself as best I could. This goes to show how tough these little frigs could be.

You are fast so you can choose your targets as well. I dont know if you know this, but smaller ships can A) target other ships faster, and B) they take LONGER to be targeted because they are small. This means if lets say a huge battleship comes across you, you can warp out before they even got 1/3 of the way to targeting you.

Another bonus of frigs is you dont NEED money - you wont go broke flying one. No need to farm - just play and in time you will learn how to make the cash. If you try to farm cash and dont have the skills for it, you will just frustrate yourself and feel like you cant fly decent ships compared to everyone else.

This is not true though. Many people who have been playing for years fly small, cheap ships still.  Losing those high-skill ships means you lose ALOT of money - much more then the insurance covers. With your tier 1 ships, the insurance pays all of it back, or sometimes additional isk. I first played years ago, but the character I have been on recently is about 2 years old, and even on him I been flying frigs lately.

I know click-to-move seems a bit lame at first, and it bothered me the first time I played. But it was mostly because I was looking forward to flying around Wing Commander style. When I gave it a second try, it didnt bother me much because I knew what to expect.

So what I suggest for you to try to have some fun - first do some reading on Eve PvP. Then check out battleclinic - you can browse their loadout forum and find some of the better rated frigate builds. Work on getting the gear for one of those. Then theres a few things that will make the pvp a bit easier to learn. First, try to find an article on how to set up your overview properly for PvP. I know theres guides out there - basically you set certain colors for certain people - so you can tell right away if their red, you can kill them, if their green or blue, they are friendly, and if they are grey they are neutral. It makes a HUGE difference as you dont have to hesitate when you see a flashing red light on your overview.

You can also set other information on your overview. Important ones are the velocity you are moving around the target at (so you can tell how hard you are to hit), you can put on the ship type so you can tell what your fighting and choose targets, and ship size incase its a ship you never heard of - you will know by the size if you have a chance.

Next, figure out how to use the directional scanner. It's near your shields, and basically lets you scan in t he direction you are looking on your interface (where you actually look - not where your ship is facing). This is how you find people. Think tracking, except you have to actively look. Get good enough and you will be able to find anyone in the system in seconds.

Once you have that knowledge - a ship fitting, a setup overview, and scanner skills - I suggest joining your faction war militia ASAP. People used to be told to "join a Corp and you will have fun and learn to PvP" for years, but this presented a very big problem in that guilds typically do NOT invite players without many skill points, due to spys. This isnt a problem anymore - your FW militia is basically like joining a PvP corp. You will get a Militia chat that you will use just like a PvP guild would use their chat - mainly to find groups and say where the bad guys are. Join up a group when you can, and r click in chat and join voice chat. This is the best way to get out there and learn. No skill point requirements or anything.

The other good part about them, is you can do the faction agent missions at first. Normally if you were going out to PvP you would search the systems for someone. Think of the missions as a goal to do AS you are searching for PvP. Set the destination, and on the way check local, see if u can find any war targets. If you see some in teh system - look for them. Scan them out and attempt to kill them. Even if you lose - who cares its a T1 rifter that can be replaced. Only one way to learn.

If the systems slow, keep going towards the mission. The missions are usually quite a few jumps out - but this is no problem because your looking for PvP anyway, and they head you thru enemy systems. When you go in, it makes a beacon on overview that ANYONE can go to - so u gota watch your back and this makes it a bit more thrilling then a normal mission. But the missions are shorter - usually just kill a target or 2 and ur done.

It's a good way to give new players a "goal" when they dont know people to run with, and it gets you over the "fear" of low-sec space, and gives you a chance to see what the games really like. Soon enough youll find friends to run with, get better in tactics, try more ships, and to be honest, you really dont know the half of how the skills, skill system, and fittings work - until you try PvP. In PvE all the fittings are the same, in PvP its different and for many different reasons - ship sizes, speeds, weapon choices, power and CPU restrictions, and more. Theres alot to try, alot to learn, and best of all alot of variety.

Past getting your feet wet in PvP... its kind of up to you. It's hard to explain but you have to look at the game different. As you travel, really explore and think "what can I do with this?". Look at things kinda like they are potential investments. If you find a station you like for whatever reason, think of making a home there and bringing out the equipment and stocking your stations gear yourself. If it sells before you use it - great you just made cash. If not - it will be there for you when you need it. Its like profit over time for just storing your stuff there - and more ISK in this game means progression akin to leveling up in other games. Yet another reason to stick to frigs =).

Look around at the corps people are in - and what they do. There are a huge amount of corps in this game that have their own play style. Some are mercs, some are pirates, some are miners. Thing is, no matter what - even the miners - will run in to PvP sometime. Serious miners usually head to unsafe space and have to work with their corp and have them defend the miners. If threats happen, its a group effort to get rid of them. 

So try to get to know some people and see how they play - see the things they came up with that they do in this game. Soon you will run in to something that you like. Sorry if I didnt explain it too well, but its just a different way of thinking. You can "create" what you do in Eve. It's just deciding what it is to do thats the hard part, so keep looking for ideas in your travels. Business ventures, tradeskills, mining, war contracts, company management, or even coming up with your own missions you want others to accomplish thru contracts - all these things and more are possible.

Finally, you need to stop thinking of it as "going out to kill somebody" in this game.  If you see a war target, your not trying to kill them. You are going to be trying to blow their ship up, so that you can get the rewards off of it. Because if you dont attack them first, them being a war target - they will be damn sure trying to kill you and take your stuff. It's not even personal - its business. Think of like real-life Pirates or sometimes like the Wild West - that is the kind of universe Eve is. As soon as I realized this, the game became that much more interesting for me.

Sorry for the wall of text - Hope I helped

Awesome post, you are hereby awarded Estamel's badge of Not-Wall-of-Text.

Just goes to show how much help is out there to climb EVEs learning cliff.

S*D

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Good post :)

I myself still fly cruisers primarily in PVP and still love hopping in frigate fleets now and then. Granted I do so in my Jaguar (T2, Assault Frigate) when I do... but I do still love doing it. Before the QR patch assault frigs didn't do well so I was in an inty when we did frig fleets but since then I've fallen back in love with my assault frigate :)

At any rate, yeah you can have a hell of a lot of fun flying frigates and they're so cheap that you can afford to lose them a lot (which you will, starting out) so that you can learn the basics of PVP without breaking your wallet.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

The secret to enjoying eve is to find a  decent corporation(guild) to get into that is willing to help new players.

I played in EVE's first year for about 6 months then quit for like 2 years. Played a bunch of other games then came back. I have to say this time around it is much more fun. The game has evolved a lot and this time i found a good corp to do stuff with.

The key to EVE is learning all the cool things you can do. It takes a while but if you know people that already know the stuff it makes it way easier to get it.

Find a corp. Even if it is a bad one. Make sure it is one in your area too. Go to the Recruiting Channel (channels button) and say "New player looking for a Gallente Corp" You will have 10 people send you conversation requests find the ones that you get along with best.

I am now in my second month back and in a smaller corp that has a presence in 0.0 security space (the least safe- 1.0 is the most safe) And i am having a lot of fun. I trained up to Battlecruisers and now i am perfecting my BC skills before i move up to Battleships.

The best part of EVE is there is an unlimited number of things you can do. It is by far the most complex game out there. And i would say that it is probably the most realistic in it's depiction of what the universe could be like if we ever become a true spacefaring race. The Fleet battles with 50-100 ships on a side are amazing.

As to the twitch based thing... I have to say that in 0.0 it is most certainly a twitch based game. Hesitate for a second in a PVP battle and you will have a free trip back to Highsec where your clone is.

EVE is a Way of Life, not a mere Game.

Pretend you are moving to a new world and prepare yourself accordingly.

Read, Read and then Read some more.

S*D