Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impressions

I've been playing a total of about 24 hours, so take this for what it is worth.

* This game is beautiful. Even on lower graphic settings, it is visually stunning.

* The art direction has more than a nod to WOW, rather than, say, EQ2. That is to say that in many ways I see the characters and their movements as a bit more on the cartoon-ish side, rather than the realistic side. That might not be a bad thing, depending on how you like a game to look. There are some wonderful bright colors in this game, as opposed to some I have played recently. Refreshing.

* Story. Story. Story, story, story. If you don't like to read; that is to say that if your idea of fun in an MMO is rushing through the content to get to the "end game", this game is going to be hard for you to get into. More than any other MMO I have played up to this point, this game is about the going there - not the getting there.

* In addition to the above, in this game you have to be alert. Not because Gollum is going to sneak up and snatch your Precious from you, but because the main story does not stop when you want it to. It is possible for you to miss watching some of main plot unfold (ie. what happend in the books) if you are not paying attention. This does not seem to matter at all to your own quests, but it is kind of a kick to watch and keep up with the travels and travials of The Fellowship (as opposed to the fellowships) as you go along.

* Turbine seems to have a certain "look" to their games and this is no exception. I had an early problem with the camera hesitating and then moving too fast when I turned, which sort of made me motion sick. A post to the LOTR boards, however, found the answer for me (changing a value in the .ini file) and all seems to be good now.

* The map is, for me, too small, but I might just be spoiled by the EQ2map program.

More to come as I play more.

user

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,960
    Originally posted by Jeff44

I've been playing a total of about 24 hours, so take this for what it is worth.

* This game is beautiful. Even on lower graphic settings, it is visually stunning.
    * The art direction has more than a nod to WOW, rather than, say, EQ2. That is to say that in many ways I see the characters and their movements as a bit more on the cartoon-ish side, rather than the realistic side. That might not be a bad thing, depending on how you like a game to look. There are some wonderful bright colors in this game, as opposed to some I have played recently. Refreshing.
    * Story. Story. Story, story, story. If you don't like to read; that is to say that if your idea of fun in an MMO is rushing through the content to get to the "end game", this game is going to be hard for you to get into. More than any other MMO I have played up to this point, this game is about the going there - not the getting there.
    * In addition to the above, in this game you have to be alert. Not because Gollum is going to sneak up and snatch your Precious from you, but because the main story does not stop when you want it to. It is possible for you to miss watching some of main plot unfold (ie. what happend in the books) if you are not paying attention. This does not seem to matter at all to your own quests, but it is kind of a kick to watch and keep up with the travels and travials of The Fellowship (as opposed to the fellowships) as you go along.
    * Turbine seems to have a certain "look" to their games and this is no exception. I had an early problem with the camera hesitating and then moving too fast when I turned, which sort of made me motion sick. A post to the LOTR boards, however, found the answer for me (changing a value in the .ini file) and all seems to be good now.
    * The map is, for me, too small, but I might just be spoiled by the EQ2map program.
    More to come as I play more.

Well, glad you are enjoying yourself

The world is very large though. Are you out of the new player tutorial? (not the first opening instance but the tutorial?)

For the most part it is a seemless world and as I said very large. When you say "map" what are you saying?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Jeff44

Uh, heh, after you hit "M", did you right click?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• lord_bisonlord_bison Member Posts: 16

Yeah, me too. I've been playing LotRO for about 4 weeks now and for me ir beats the sh*t out of WoW hands down. I never used to PvP in WoW so the set up here is great for me.

I like the look, sure, its a bit more cartoony that the pictures we have in our heads of Middle Earth after reading the books but it hasn't gone too far down that path and I think it fits a nice middle ground between uber-realism and cartoon.

One of tha main reasons for trying LotRO in the first place was to get away from the swarming mass of little twats that play the other game. Typing pwned, fkn retard and how do it level to 80 as quick as possible. That stuff really gets right up my arse! These people seem to have forgotten that gaming is supposed to be fun. The fact that people stick to the guidelines on the RP servers here is such a brilliant plus that it makes playing the game so much more fun for that alone. I thought that the players here would be more mature and so they are.

The questing is slick and refined and keeps you interested (to date). Crafting took a bit of getting used to but once it picks up speed I've found it really rewarding....even though it brick to craft as a historian, but I like the challenge. Music is one of the best touches too, although I am trying hard to put together a middle-earth based Black Metal or Death Metal band I fear it'll be a pointless exercise...unless Saruman can create a distortion Palantir or 52 piece drum made from Oiliphant hide!

I let off some steam with another Character ( i have 3 at the moment) by jumping off the Staddle Falls into the waters below to cool down, then went back to the Prancing pony for ale, sausages and some brilliant buskers in the common room.

On the whole an awesome game that so far has stayed as true to middle earth in my opinion and feels really really enjoyable to play.

Its a trick...get an axe!