Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who went back for the free month and decided to resub?

2»

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I will renew my account as well. I think this game has nothing but an upside...well at least I *HOPE* it does.

The vast world and EQ Original feel I get keeps me coming back, but anyway.

If you enjoy the game awesome, if not awesome.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

people who have computers with performance issues with this game are a minority when compared against the population. people who come here to complain about their performance in the game are not.

dont confuse the two.  If you have a decent computer that is configured to run a resource intensive video graphics application you should be fine.  People who complain because there is a .5 - 1 second delay between zones need to go play EQ1 or even EQ2

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Slampig

I will renew my account as well. I think this game has nothing but an upside...well at least I *HOPE* it does.
    The vast world and EQ Original feel I get keeps me coming back, but anyway.
    If you enjoy the game awesome, if not awesome.

I have to say, this is why I resubbed.

I really like LOTRO and how it plays but was getting tired of a game where you couldn't just explore and discover things.

Not that I have the time to play Vanguard full throttle but it would be nice to just explore some place a bit and see a few new things, see if I can get all the way into a temple or cave without getting a message "you do not have the appropriate quest".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IonselonIonselon Member Posts: 248

@SidJames

I see from your DXDiag that you're running DirectX Version 10.  Try upgrading to 10.1 to see if that helps with your problems.  I don't know that it will; just a suggestion.

EDIT:  I just noticed that your video drivers are version 7.15.  The current version is 8.12.  Updating your drivers may help also.

• edmonaledmonal Member Posts: 188

I'm just finishing up the new starter area, and I'm impressed. No technical issues, when I logged into an older character there was an intial bit of lag but it cleared up quickly. I still like the character classes and combat mechanics, but left because of the instability. It still has some glaring technical issues to take care of (highlighting equipment in your bags will "equip" it on your person. It's a graphics issue and easily resolved) I'd say that there is a problem with mobs getting stuck in the terrain, but I see that in WoW too. The crafting quests are nice to get your intial 10 levels of crafting. I'm enjoying it and will put some time into it.

I played a 10-day free trial of Vanguard when it first launched, and was terribly disappointed.  It was billed as the real successor of EQ and I was hoping it was going to be my next MMO.  Unfortunately, the performance issues were just too severe at that time and I didn't subscribe to the game.

Last week Steam had the game onsale for $14.99, so on a whim I bought it.  I created a character on the PvP server first, but quickly discovered that it is a mostly empty world.  I didn't see any other players during the time it took to get to lvl 4.

I then went to a PvE server (Seradon) and all my old characters were still there from when I played the free trial.  That was a pleasant surprise.  Also, I noticed a lot of chatter going on in the chat channel, showing there were at least  some players in this world.  I also noticed that when people would ask questions on how to do something, they generally received an answer in short notice.  And it wasn't the typical "Hey noob, read the manual." that can be found in some games.  No, the community is polite and helpful.  Very encouraging.

I still don't know if I'll stay after the free month is over, but it's sure fun to watch my skills go up while I'm fighting or crafting.  It has a lot of the old EQ feel, and hopefully it won't have the issues that made me leave EQ.

Hope this helps.

Ion

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Ionselon

I played a 10-day free trial of Vanguard when it first launched, and was terribly disappointed.  It was billed as the real successor of EQ and I was hoping it was going to be my next MMO.  Unfortunately, the performance issues were just too severe at that time and I didn't subscribe to the game.
    Last week Steam had the game onsale for $14.99, so on a whim I bought it.  I created a character on the PvP server first, but quickly discovered that it is a mostly empty world.  I didn't see any other players during the time it took to get to lvl 4.
    I then went to a PvE server (Seradon) and all my old characters were still there from when I played the free trial.  That was a pleasant surprise.  Also, I noticed a lot of chatter going on in the chat channel, showing there were at least  some players in this world.  I also noticed that when people would ask questions on how to do something, they generally received an answer in short notice.  And it wasn't the typical "Hey noob, read the manual." that can be found in some games.  No, the community is polite and helpful.  Very encouraging.
    I still don't know if I'll stay after the free month is over, but it's sure fun to watch my skills go up while I'm fighting or crafting.  It has a lot of the old EQ feel, and hopefully it won't have the issues that made me leave EQ.
    Hope this helps.
    Ion

My character is also on Seradon and I have to say that if you do the trial island you will see a lot of chatter. Actually felt like the game was just launched.

However, since the world is very large I imagine that will become a  bit less later on.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by SidJames

Went back tried it for ten minutes and found the hitching/lag was as bad as when i left 18 months or so ago and logged out, dead game is dead i'm afraid

It would take about 10 minutes for a newly loaded install of Vanguard to load textures and cache... But I'm glad you gave it 10 whole minutes prior to coming here with your well thought out review.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

I did but found the game to be just as flawed as before. In fact it's worse now that SOE has dummied it down.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by Fargol

Originally posted by xmoleculex

Originally posted by Teganx

Anybody find it worth resubbing yet?

Not I.

Still having issues:

1. Other than at Highest Performance, the game is very sluggish. Not laggy, or hitchy. Feels like I'm dragging my mouse through molasses. Unless I'm at Highest Performance it's unplayable. I have a quad core / 4GB rig and I can play AoC at just shy of the highest settings.

2. Every time I start up the game it does a full file scan. Takes about an hour. I can't find any way to turn that off. And I did a full uninstall / fresh install.

3. Always forgets my settings (video, controls, etc).

At least it didn't cost me anything to try again

I have to respond because I don't want interested players thinking that this BS is the norm.

1) I have a dual core with 4GB and a 9800 GT. Plays perfectly, with only slight hitching in cities or after I port (and it clears up once everything loads).

2) It only takes me about 2 minutes to get into the game.

3) It never forgets my settings.

Vanguard is easily the most underappreciated game out right now (unless you are hardcore into PVP). But you have to be prepared not to be led around by your nose like when you play that AoC crap. The combat is more fun that WoW or LoTRO and the world is HUGE with many places to explore. The *only* thing that sucks about Vanguard is the low population... And I really think that it deserves better. The old Vanguard left a bad taste in too many mouths... and for some reason those mouths keep trashing the game 2 years later without really giving it a second chance.

This is the rare instance where Sony has actually done good for a game instead of the opposite.

I definitely recommend it for anyone who wants an "EQ-feel" from their game. Not and EQ2 feel... Vanguard feels much more like an EQ2 to me than EQ2 ever did.

BS?  I am having EVERY issue I mentioned.

Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. Lots of people have issues. I guess they're lying too for some reason?

Maybe you can explain what part of my system is causing the molasses-like performance whereas AoC runs almost perfectly at near highest settings?

How about the file scan every time I start up? Must be the video card, right? Or my mouse? Wait, I know - I need a bigger monitor!

I just started the game again. It's scanning every file; it's at 6% and it's estimating around 40 minutes.

And for the three times I've sat through this, it always resets my settings to default.

I don't care if you believe me or not. I'm reporting what's happening to me and I NEVER said no one else should take advantage of the free trial, so maybe roll back the fanboy-ism and grow up.

These are legitimate issues for this user..... not BS.  Something is wrong here, as the things you are describing are not exceptable.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of what would be causing all those issues, but they may be related to a corrupt file or something.  The VGplayers tech forum is very good with the dxdiag files and error logs.  Tech service is also very responsive and will probably  have no issue figuring it out.

Even if the hard-drive is slow, it shouldn't be that bad.  I have a 7-year hard drive in a computer I rebuilt (I forgot to order a hard-drive) and even though the game will load slower than I like, once textures have loaded, it's hitch free.

I don't know, but two guildies of mine that were having problems with the game upgraded their router and that fixed their lag issues.

Overall Intel Quad-Cores work very well with VG.  AMD Phenoms do not.

I still think if it's doing a full file-check everytime you log in, there's something wrong with the install.  You didn't modify the install did you?  I've seen people put the patcher in one location and the game in another and that will cause issues.

Turning off all my Vista security junk helped with my overall VG experience :)

Can't think of anything else right now.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Not I.

Still having issues:

1. Other than at Highest Performance, the game is very sluggish. Not laggy, or hitchy. Feels like I'm dragging my mouse through molasses. Unless I'm at Highest Performance it's unplayable. I have a quad core / 4GB rig and I can play AoC at just shy of the highest settings.

2. Every time I start up the game it does a full file scan. Takes about an hour. I can't find any way to turn that off. And I did a full uninstall / fresh install.

At least it didn't cost me anything to try again.

Sounds like there is something seriously wrong with your setup...  Maybe you should check out the VG support forums.  If it does a full scan every time and forgets settings and stuff I'm wondering if it has write access to the install directory?  Are you running vista and loading the game as administrator??

Anyway check out the tech support forums you got something wrong with the install or something else....

Another thing to try is run msconfig by going to start - run, then type in msconfig.  Then disable all startup stuff and run from a clean boot.  Maybe some program is conflicting.

Once you are in the game if you get graphic flickering issues turn off hardware occlusion or toggle it I don't remember the default...

When you mouse over items in your inventory it changes the appearance of your character to show the appearance with the item you are mousing over.  Some people have reported bugs where the appearances get stuck on the wrong appearance. This doesn't effect game play and if it is a problem you can disable it in options.

If you have severe performance problems try disabling sound in the options and restarting the game.  Some motherboard sound drivers can create performance problems.  If this helps you can try updating sound drivers or check the tech support forums for other solutions.

---
    Ethion

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by daelnor

Dunno.  I tried VG a couple of times, but the pvp server blew chunks..and I just couldn't see a real reason to play a pve server.
    Pretty graphics though.  Other than that, I'm pretty much done with anything that has "Sony" attached to it.
    I don't like their business practices in the MMO category (or many other categories, now that I think of it.)
    I have heard that it's a decent game now though...but people still say EQII is better..except for the forced cash mall while you pay monthly subscription thing.

I Tried vanguard...could barely run the game on my POS setup...looked great in single frames. I am upgrading my system soon and really want to give it a try..soe or not. I am only using the above quote because it is the latest one I've seen...so nothing personal to daelnor. I just don't understand the statements like ...rmt ruined this or that game or that a cash shop was "forced" on it's players..that's like saying the local shopping mall was forced on a community..because the jones bought all their new comfortable shoes there...and now the poor Smith  family must buy the same shoes there...so they can look as good and be as comfortable as the Jones'.... I just don't buy that...so to speak.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Not I.

Still having issues:

I gave up on my LONG post.To keep it simple ,it seems MOST do not understand WHY ,there is loading chunks there,and others do NOT understand their PC's are NOT better or gaming PC's.Multi CORE=useless.High powered GPU's untapped.DX10 Vista not utilized in a DX9 game designed years ago.There is no such thing as a limitless game engine,you have to allow a certain amount of polys in a zone,you either have a zone out and time to zone in or try to create the ILLUSION of a continuos world with no zones,BOTH WILL have loading times.IDK maybe if we had PC's with ULTRA mega bazillions amounts of  SUPER fast CACHE,then we could load MASSIVE zones,this will not happen for MANY years.

Do not blame Sigil ,unless you are blaming them for trying to make a great looking world with a high demand from PC's.The EFFORT was there in this game,they gave it a great shot,too bad others do not see it,the game deserves a much better fate and player base.Sure there is a few pet peeves i nthere for myself and others,but what game does not have things that annoy all of us?We will never see a perfect game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Teganx Anybody find it worth resubbing yet?
    Not I.
    Still having issues:

I gave up on my LONG post.To keep it simple ,it seems MOST do not understand WHY ,there is loading chunks there,and others do NOT understand their PC's are NOT better or gaming PC's.Multi CORE=useless.High powered GPU's untapped.DX10 Vista not utilized in a DX9 game designed years ago.There is no such thing as a limitless game engine,you have to allow a certain amount of polys in a zone,you either have a zone out and time to zone in or try to create the ILLUSION of a continuos world with no zones,BOTH WILL have loading times.IDK maybe if we had PC's with ULTRA mega bazillions amounts of  SUPER fast CACHE,then we could load MASSIVE zones,this will not happen for MANY years.
    Do not blame Sigil ,unless you are blaming them for trying to make a great looking world with a high demand from PC's.The EFFORT was there in this game,they gave it a great shot,too bad others do not see it,the game deserves a much better fate and player base.Sure there is a few pet peeves i nthere for myself and others,but what game does not have things that annoy all of us?We will never see a perfect game.

Multi-cores are not useless. Your BIOS and operating system are what is responsible for threading. I have a Q6600 and when i play Vanguard i hover around 30% for all 4 cores. My BIOS and OS rock this shit.

Actually the bigger problem with games like Vanguard are HDD's and RAM. RAM (need multi-thread RAM same clock speed as your FSB) everyone knows about but if you don't have your HDD's set up properly in RAID mode and have some decent disks it can slow your shit down bad. It takes me about 20 seconds from power on until i'm playing Vanguard. That's with scanning but no patching.

I wouldn't even game with less than a quad-core, sli RAM, HD4870x2, 2 Raptor HD's and Vista 64 but that's just me and i'm a nut.. :P

Originally posted by Copeland

Not I.

Still having issues:

Multi-cores are not useless. Your BIOS and operating system are what is responsible for threading. I have a Q6600 and when i play Vanguard i hover around 30% for all 4 cores. My BIOS and OS rock this shit.

Actually the bigger problem with games like Vanguard are HDD's and RAM. RAM (need multi-thread RAM same clock speed as your FSB) everyone knows about but if you don't have your HDD's set up properly in RAID mode and have some decent disks it can slow your shit down bad. It takes me about 20 seconds from power on until i'm playing Vanguard. That's with scanning but no patching.

I wouldn't even game with less than a quad-core, sli RAM, HD4870x2, 2 Raptor HD's and Vista 64 but that's just me and i'm a nut.. :P

Obviously a nut who doesn't have a wife and kids. 

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Ionselon

Originally posted by Copeland

Not I.

Still having issues:

Obviously a nut who doesn't have a wife and kids. 

I have a wife and kids. I have SLi, Raid0, vista 64. (still rockin old school dual core though)

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.