Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW being taken down in 2009?

aVeng3aVeng3 Member Posts: 37

Hey everyone, this was just a thought that crossed my mind, I also read it on MMOSite, someone commented saying they reckoned WoW was going to be taken down this year, without telling anyone.

I seriously doubt this is true, but I thought about it, and it actually makes sense.

If they are working on their next MMO, how are they supposed to make it as successful / more successful than WoW, if WoW is still running? I'm sure that if WoW was taken down, when Blizzard release their next MMO.. surely all the players would flood into their new game, wouldnt they?

They'd need a lot of time for all the flaming to die down thats for sure, lol.

Was just wondering if anyone agrees that it would make sense? I can't see Blizzard trying to compete with 'themselves' to bring players over to their new MMO, so how else are they going to do this?

Will WoW be taken down this year? Or will it be when Blizzard's new MMO is actually released?

Comments

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

Hell to the no. What person/company in their right mind would just throw billions away? I think that they are making a game that wont compete directly with their fantasy mmo.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• SramotaSramota Member Posts: 756

You don't make burgers out of a cow that craps golden nuggets. Simply put.

Played so far: 9Dragons, AO, AC, AC2, CoX, DAoC, DF, DnL, DR, DDO, Ent, EvE, EQ, EQ2, FoMK, FFO, Fury, GW, HG:L, HZ, L1, L2, M59, MU, NC1, NC2, PS, PT, R:O, RF:O, RYL, Ryzom, SL, SB, SW:G, TR, TCoS, MX:O, UO, VG, WAR, WoW...
    It all sucked.

• SylianSylian Member UncommonPosts: 65

No wow won't be shut down in 2009.

Their second MMO doesn't have to more succesful than WoW.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

not a chance

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by hyperpotato  

If they are working on their next MMO, how are they supposed to make it as successful / more successful than WoW, if WoW is still running?

Was just wondering if anyone agrees that it would make sense? I can't see Blizzard trying to compete with 'themselves' to bring players over to their new MMO, so how else are they going to do this?

By not competing with themselves like many other MMO companies do and make something entirely different and in a different setting!  Blizzard has already said that it won't have anything to do with Warcraft but its been rumored to be something medieval.

Being that Starcraft II is being set up to have releases over the next 3-4 years and Diablo III is in development for my guess 2010 release their next MMO won't be either of those!

WoW will be around 10 years from now and beyond...its not going anywhere and not anytime soon!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

CMon think about what you are saying....almost 12 million customers.....5 million of those are a guaranteed 15 bucks a month and who knows how muc hthey get from the Asian countries......WoW is not going anywhere....No one at Blizzard would be dumb enough to pull the plug on a multi million dollar industry....They can easily make another MMO that can co-exist with WoW.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Are you crazy?

I don't know where did you get the rumor from, but surely whoever spread those rumors need medical supervision.

That doesn't make semse at all, Vivendi would fire Blizzard CeO if he did such a stupid thing.

That would be commercial suicide.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Yeah, I know what you mean.  It doesn't make sense to go after the what, 30% of the market they don't have.

But it's possible. It's not a direct comparison, but the table top RPG market, you have D&D with a huge share, and yet the company behind that would often try other RPGs (usually modern day or science fiction) to try to get some of the share of the market they didn't have.

Same thing here, seems like. If it's the World of Starcraft (I haven't followed this much). Could be strike against Eve Online or the upcoming Star Wars game.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

They are safe for 2009, it's 2010 when SWTOR and Blizzards next big MMO comes out.

• MrTumN3sMrTumN3s Member Posts: 439
    Originally posted by almerel

Hell to the no. What person/company in their right mind would just throw billions away? I think that they are making a game that wont compete directly with their fantasy mmo.

Mm, indeed. Just their making a game that will HELP compete WITH their fantasy MMO. i.e,

WoW + New Blizzard MMO = Domination over MMORPG market.

In conclusion, i don't believe it would be smart for Blizzard to do such an act.

Dedicated members of the game, and those who love and cherish it, will not see the situation(if it happened) very happy. Blizzard pulling the plug on WoW is like SOE issuing NGE upon SWG, just worse.

----------------------------
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Yes, they're taking WoW down.  In fact, it's going to happen next Tuesday.  And then it will go back up several hours later when maintenance is done.

• MrTumN3sMrTumN3s Member Posts: 439
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Yes, they're taking WoW down.  In fact, it's going to happen next Tuesday.  And then it will go back up several hours later when maintenance is done.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!

oh my god! hahahahah.

----------------------------
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

This could be the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

No way, they're gonna milk that cow till the utters fall off.

WOW is the only MMO atm that can get away with being that dated and still obliterate everyone else in Sub numbers. I can't see them cutting their own throat, multi million dollar lottery tickets don't fall outta trees.

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by MrTumN3s

Originally posted by Quizzical

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!

oh my god! hahahahah.

ROFL berries and syrup, too funny Quizz!

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Whiskey...

Tango...

Foxtrot...

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

Hey everyone, this was just a thought that crossed my mind, I also read it on MMOSite, someone commented saying they reckoned WoW was going to be taken down this year, without telling anyone.
    I seriously doubt this is true, but I thought about it, and it actually makes sense.
    If they are working on their next MMO, how are they supposed to make it as successful / more successful than WoW, if WoW is still running? I'm sure that if WoW was taken down, when Blizzard release their next MMO.. surely all the players would flood into their new game, wouldnt they?
    Will WoW be taken down this year? Or will it be when Blizzard's new MMO is actually released?

All of our IQ is instantly lowered for reading, and replying to this thread.  That is the most ludicrous post of all time.  It doesn't make sense on any possible level, on any planet, in any universe.

• Xanthorn2008Xanthorn2008 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Ok, sorry to bring up SOE, but they didn't turn off EQ when EQ2 came out. They didn't turn of EQ or EQ2 when Vanguard came out. Also, Mythic didn't turn of DAoC when WAR came out, so I think it's safe to say, Blizzard will leave their cash cow up and running until the end of all living things occurs.

Agreed.  Was just about to bring those up as examples.  Wow won't die, just someday it may be replaced

• dethgardethgar Member Posts: 293

Ultima Online will shut down entirely before WoW even begins shutting down and merging servers. I totally expect a WoW sequel someday, and in between a graphics expansion to further milk what is there. I don't expect their next MMO to be anything like the gameplay of current MMO's, I'd expect it to cash in on FPS or some other genre, but not neccessiarily a space or sci-fi game. Don't forget that WoW someday may have an expansion similar to SWG's Jump To Lightspeed, as the inhabitants of Azeroth understand their place in the universe and maybe decide to explore it. It wouldn't shock me if they added Eve and SWG elements in the future(dumbed down versions obviously) since they've pretty much completed their dumbed down DAoC cloning process.

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Your assuming Blizz would be foolish enough to make another WoW fantasy clone ? They clearly will make something else, sc-fi, horror, post-appocolyptic, etc. 

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by admriker4

Your assuming Blizz would be foolish enough to make another WoW fantasy clone ? They clearly will make something else, sc-fi, horror, post-appocolyptic, etc. 

WOW is winding down.  For several days now, I've been unable to find an open group in Northrend that's not for the level 80's.  The expansion was too easy and solo-oriented, and many folks just blitzed through it.  There's not a whole lot left to do other than raid Naxx endlessly.

And Blizzard's own VP said that someday a game would come along and "cannibalize" WOW's player base, so it might as well be themselves doing so. 

WOW will not last forever, fantasy is uber-popular, so it only makes sense to follow WOW with a better fantasy MMO to catch the bailing players.  Following the dying WOW with an off-genre would be a big risk.

But we shall see; they have to announce the new MMO someday. hopefully this year.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Lolz, err... no. No it doesn't.

• PipodeMoleasPipodeMoleas Member Posts: 44

If  WoW was taken down, think Jones Town but world wide.

• ZoMBiEXxXZoMBiEXxX Member Posts: 107

Yea I am going to agree with everyone else in this thread... for Blizzard to bring down WoW because they don't want it to compete with their new MMO would be a very stupid and unrealistic decision. Blizzard knows there aren't just 12million people playing MMO's in the world, they want a game that will take the players from the rest of the games and bring them to their new MMO. But I do think that if they make it for casuals, and its decent, it will steal a lot of players from WoW because of people wanting something new.

I loved WoW back in the day before Burning Crusade.. they started making it way to easy to level and get gear so its not fun anymore. Maybe if they make this new MMO for hardcore players I will go back to being a Blizzarombie.

"Da bigger da Orc, da stronger da Orc. Da stronger da Orc, da more dat's Orc's da boss. No wonder da Black Orcs is always da bosses!"
    - Splinta, a Goblin in the Bloody Sun Boyz tribe

• TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279

If you had a gold mine that's churning out millions upon millions every month would you close it just because you found a new gold mine?

Neither will Blizzard.