Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class roles and the end game.

I am a former WOW addict who very much enjoyed WOW's raid content pre-WOTLK. Now there is very little distinction between the classes and raiding provides little challenge. I was looking to return to LOTRO and was wondering what the end game content was like and if the classes were diverse enough. I have read a few posts on these forums that have said that LOTRO has followed in WOW's footsteps in making end game content to simple and that class roles have become less defined which gave me second thoughts about trying the game. I'm looking for a little clarification thanks.

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by xxxballa

I have read a few posts on these forums that have said that LOTRO has followed in WOW's footsteps in making end game content to simple and that class roles have become less defined which gave me second thoughts about trying the game. I'm looking for a little clarification thanks.

Pretty much, no large raids yet, and instead of just a few much longer instances like in Shadows, now we have alot of really short ones that you can easily finish in about 1hr maybe 2hrs max.  All the end-game radiance set gear is also very easily obtained, and several pieces with the right group can get to the end boss of the instances in under 20min.

Don't know alot about the classes as I've only ever played a Minstrel over lvl 20, but that class alone is still greatly needed for the bosses of every instance and books.  The Rune-Keeper is an ok substitution, but by no means is a better healer or a replacement for the Minstrel.

Just give ya an idea of how easy MoM is, and granted I was puttin in a min of 12 hrs a day, but from lvl 50 as a Minstrel I got to lvl 60, finished every solo/group quest throughout Moria, and in both outdoor zones, got Kindred in both of the new reputations and almost with the new Tailors Guild, completed 60% of all instance quests, 1/2 of all the new deeds, have 5/6 pieces of the new radiance set gear along with other really nice rare teal drops off instance bosses and all that was done in under 2 weeks!

Course not everyone can do that and play much less than I, but I was expecting a greater challenge and much longer enjoyment....ah well!

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by xxxballa

I am a former WOW addict who very much enjoyed WOW's raid content pre-WOTLK. Now there is very little distinction between the classes and raiding provides little challenge. I was looking to return to LOTRO and was wondering what the end game content was like and if the classes were diverse enough. I have read a few posts on these forums that have said that LOTRO has followed in WOW's footsteps in making end game content to simple and that class roles have become less defined which gave me second thoughts about trying the game. I'm looking for a little clarification thanks.

Well we dont know how the raiding in post-MoM will be like yet since there is only a short 12-man raid in the game so far for lvl 60 but a bigger raid is coming soon. The classes in LotrO have a very specific role in the game and Ill try to expalin them:

Hunter: Ranged single target dps, some crowd control and remove poison. Nuker

Champion: Melee AOE dps, can do some tanking and is the bes interupt class

Captain: Great buffs, some healing, can off tank and have good dps, removes fear!

Lore master: Crowd control, some debuffs and good AOE dps, removes wounds and disease

Burglar: Debufs, some crowd control, starts felowship manouvers, lots of stange stuff ;)

Guardian: Tank, some buffs and can start fellowship maounvers.

Minstrel: very good healing, some buffs, some crowd control

Warden: Good single target DPS, leech tanking

Rune keeper: Good DPS, good healing, some buffs and debuffs, glass cannon!

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Papadam

Hunter: Ranged single target dps, some crowd control and remove poison. Nuker
    Champion: Melee AOE dps, can do some tanking and is the best interupt class. Melee Nuker
    Captain: Great buffs, some healing, can off tank and have good dps, removes fear!
    Lore master: Crowd control, some debuffs and good AOE dps, removes wounds and disease
    Burglar: Debufs, some crowd control, starts felowship manouvers, DPS , stealth class
    Guardian: Tank, some buffs and can start fellowship maounvers.
    Minstrel: very good healing, some buffs, some crowd control
    Warden: Good single target DPS, leech tanking
    Rune keeper: Good DPS, good healing, some buffs and debuffs, glass cannon!

Just thought to update it a bit ;)