Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP

tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

I'm patching (been patching for 6-7 hrs now on 25 mbit line after downloading fresh client :p ) to try it out in the free trial.

So I'm reading these forums to find out about this game, but I can't really find any info about PvP..

So the question is .. how is it? :)

Comments

• nine56nine56 Member UncommonPosts: 208

I'm really curious about this too - just started the trial 2 days ago and I'm looking to do some casual PvMP at some point...but I am not sure how popular or fun it is.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Well if you're planning on playing LOTRO mainly for the PvMP, you'll be very dissappointed.  LOTRO is a PvE game with a weak PvP tacked onto it.  Though of course some will disagree with me and play it religiously but its nothing to jump for joy over like so many other MMOs that do PvP much better!

Detailed info on what Player vs Monster Player is all about!

As far as I know there are alot of players that are in there regularly and are always in the GLFF channel recruiting raid size groups and get in there.  Course you can go solo or small group also, but you won't last long if you plan to achieve anything in there substantial.

There are a bunch of extra rewards and PvP sets of armor you can earn based on the rank you acquire that are no where else in game including the only Black Horse mount but that requires rank 9 which is pretty dern hard to achieve!  There is also supposedly another PvMP map being made to coincide with the MoM, but I don't think there is any release info on when it will be added, but it is being worked on.

Anyway, I've played it some, and while it was interesting for a few moments its never been something I returned too.  Just not my thing, and especially as a Minstrel I last all of about 1sec...

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

Hmm, well I'll just try and see i guess ;)

Its free the first 14 days afterall

But thanks for the info!

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Don't forget you need to reach level 10 to unlock the monster side.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• MarimzirtudMarimzirtud Member Posts: 17

also, you need to be level 40 to play as a freep (your main character) in PvMP, and if you try it out then, you probably won't last very long... however like seabass says, you only have to be lvl 10 to create a monster character (creep)... these guys start at max level, but you can buy additional skills and power-ups for them as you kill ppl

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I was thinking about playing Lotro, but the lack of "real" PvP for me kills it. Don't get me wrong I love PVE games too, but after awhile it gets very boring for me.

Is Monster play worth it? I wish I could level a Creep like I do a Free, but I guess that breaks Lore or something along those lines, which I real don't get or care for.

• LtJohnnyRicoLtJohnnyRico Member Posts: 214
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

I was thinking about playing Lotro, but the lack of "real" PvP for me kills it. Don't get me wrong I love PVE games too, but after awhile it gets very boring for me.

Yep. This did it for me. A game without real conflict (AI isn't THAT good) is a boring game to me.

Good thing I read this thread, I was just about to click the "buy" button.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

You should still at least give the game a 14-day trial run, who knows you might like it!  Yes the PvMP is tacked on and not as substantial as most PvP games but I've seen how many of players I know including friends get into it and it appears to be pretty fun for them.

The best parts of course are the PvE and the way the storylines are played out, but when you become bored of that you can jump onto a creep or after lvl 40 play your freep in there for a time.  As much criticism and loathing the current Ettenmoors has gotten over the years I can bet that Turbine has much needed improvement and additional content that will happen when they launch the next PvMP zone to coinside with MoM.

If you still have that urge to play then definitely play it and get to know how PvMP works and be prepared for when the next zone goes live....you may just love it all and stick around.  One other thing thats kinda fun that I've never personnally done but have had it done to me when I was exploring the Ettenmoors is killing other players that are your friends or someone you dislike from a previous adventure while on your creep!

Had a friend contact me once and was like, "yeah that spider that got you in the mines while you tried to mine that ore...it was me!"  Was kinda amusing...

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    Originally posted by LtJohnnyRico

Yep. This did it for me. A game without real conflict (AI isn't THAT good) is a boring game to me.

Well there are a lot of dedicated creep pvpers that do nothing but pvp. They always leave to try the next best pvp game but they always come back. They all left for AoC, WAR and a couple others and they all come back and tell us about the pvp in the other games and how LOTRO, even though not dedicated to pvp actually does it better.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by seabass2003

Originally posted by LtJohnnyRico

Well there are a lot of dedicated creep pvpers that do nothing but pvp. They always leave to try the next best pvp game but they always come back. They all left for AoC, WAR and a couple others and they all come back and tell us about the pvp in the other games and how LOTRO, even though not dedicated to pvp actually does it better.

Yep, the majority of the kin I'm in did exactly that... went to AoC.... then went to WAR... then went back to LoTRO.

That said... it *does* have "real PvP" in that it's "player versus player". No it's not "open world, anytime/anywhere PvP", but you can hop into the 'moors on a monster character any time (once you hit level 10 on a normal character), or on a "free peoples" character once you get up in levels a bit and PvP to your heart's content.

I've been part of all-night PvP runs in LoTRO. Constant back and forth, all over the map (and the Ettenmoors is a big place) for 3-4 hours straight.. I logged out at about 2AM, logged back in at about 9 the next morning and some of the same people were still at it from the night before.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I wish some one would describe to me what real PvP. I always twas under the impression that it was where two or more players test their skills against each ratehr than against a computer controlled mob. Last time I looked that is what PvMP in LoTRO accomplished.

I suppose for LoTRO to have "real" PvP Turbine would have to include rez pad camping, noobie ganking and trash talking to be real PvP LoL. I can't say that I would exactly think it would be a lot of fun to be happily leveling my lvl 20 hobbit and have a group of level 30 - 60 orcs coming screaming into Bree screaming " die noob pigs".

I think I shall stick to being able to enoy the  PvE and for a change of pace occasionally some fake PvP in the form of LoTRO PvMP because I find it fun to log on my creep and catch one of  my kinmates and smear his butt in the ground then the next nigh both of us can go run instances in Moria for some really good PvE  and since no one in my kin knows I play creep side they never know it was me that kicked their can, or got mine kicked as the case may be,  the previous evening.

Just my take on it of course.

I miss DAoC

• zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

Actually was I felt was odd in PvMP of LOTRO the first time I tried it was the organisation.

I mean, you get 40-50 random people joining up and they made 2 raids with random leaders (no, no tribe was on at that time) and they all listened to their leaders and we pretty much had a great time battling the Freeps.

This is something you'll rarely find in other MMO which is supposed to be an "e-sport" now :D

Unless if you consider arenas PvP ? In that case maybe Lotro sparring is PvP...Now if we could only somehow get ratings for that + squeeze some shiny epics there :P

On another note tho I do play WAR together with LOTRO. These 2 games make an excellent combo :P 

You got 2 diff games to play and LOTRO is more complete and WAR has some nice keep sieges / zergfests to take part in :P

• thefixerthefixer Member Posts: 71

Not to necro an old thread, but I wanted to add some more detail on here, as it seems most people here don't actually play in the moors much, and wanted to give a full-time perspective.

1. Yes, a level 10 player can go into Monster Play and instantly create a level 60 monster character for PvP.  However, don't fool yourself into thinking you're anywhere close in power or ability to a level 60 freep.  As a new, rank 0 creep, you're going to die.  A lot.  And you're going to be pretty inneffective for at least the first 4 or 5 ranks.  Unlike freeps, the creeps only way of bettering their situation is to is rank up, which is only acheived by defeating other players.  So, ranking is the equalvilent of levelling for creeps.  For a full-time creep to finally achieve anything close to parity with a fully-geared and traited freep (usually around rank 7) takes a substantial investment of time and effort, generally twice as long as a freep takes to get to the same spot.

2. Currently, after Mines of Moria was released, creeps have been seriously gimped, and freeps are gaining Renown (the point system that freeps get for defeating creeps) at twice the rate that creeps are gaining Infamy.  Playing a full-time creep right now is a very frustrating thing, and it's very tough on new players.  It's a steep learning curve as it is, and getting farmed and camped while you're trying to complete your slug quest, with no chance of fighting back, weeds a lot of players out fast.  But if you stick it out, observe veteran players, and help out where you can, it still can feel rewarding.  Playing a Warg is probably the least-frustrating for a new player, as at least you can stealth to avoid getting ganked everywhere you go.

3. The previous poster mentioned the amazing coordination and cooperation displayed his while trying out a creep.  It's amazing that, on the creep-side, 24 completely random people can assemble and cooperate with almost no complaining or whining.  It should be noted that this is a phenomenon that, on most servers, is somewhat unique to the creep-side.  The constant under-powered and trial-by-fire nature of playing a creep seems to foster much better team-play than you'll find on the freep-side, who - in my experience - tend to be much more independent-minded, and less prone to cooperate together.