Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character models and wepaons are retarded.

Just seen aload of new screenshots and the backgrounds and all the robots and monsters all look kool but the humanoid characters look retarded and so do their weapons. Their body shape is all wrong and too comic book like and all their clothes look like they're skin tight spandex and their faces lack any detail. I hate the way they all stand too, again like some comic book character.

The weapons all look like fisher price shite and wayyy too big even now. Like in SWG all the weapons were normal size and you could still see the detail and what weapon they were using and if that wern't enough it had 3D menus you could examine and scroll across the weapon. You don't need these over sized retarded toy looking weapons to make something look kool.... just ends up looking retarded.

The problem is the further these go unchanged into development the more unlikely they are to change.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Bioware uses a guy in a motion suit for poses and animations so you might not like how people stand but it is the way real humans stand. As for the rest, the game is still in early alpha so relax until it is closer to launch. Stuff like the humans face can as well e under work.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Just seen aload of new screenshots and the backgrounds and all the robots and monsters all look kool but the humanoid characters look retarded and so do their weapons. Their body shape is all wrong and too comic book like and all their clothes look like they're skin tight spandex and their faces lack any detail. I hate the way they all stand too, again like some comic book character.
    The weapons all look like fisher price shite and wayyy too big even now. Like in SWG all the weapons were normal size and you could still see the detail and what weapon they were using and if that wern't enough it had 3D menus you could examine and scroll across the weapon. You don't need these over sized retarded toy looking weapons to make something look kool.... just ends up looking retarded.

The problem is the further these go unchanged into development the more unlikely they are to change.

lol, not a fan of a few weapons they have shown myself, but I really don't care about graphics too much TBH. It's rarely been a factor in any game I play. I still love Monkey Island 3 and it has cartoon graphics, yet it's a great game. As long as it runs good, and they iron out glitches, and does not look like WURM Online I'm ok with the look. 

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Label_ThisLabel_This Member Posts: 171

Sounds like how everything was/is in the Kotor series. I loved that!

sign-me-the-fuck-up to this game right now if everything still looks Kotor'ish but possibly better??

Why are there so many cutesie, fantasy, childish MMO's. Give me blood, gore and a long lasting challenge. I don't need my hand being held along the way. Thanks.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Whats happening to the world where people like this style of The shitty Clone Wars :( Wheres all the fans of the actual good original trilogy? Was the last good thing to come from Star Wars :(

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

Take a breather, man. The game isn't even beta stages at this point. While the art style is probably going to stay, little things like certain models and textures will be changing constantly. The lightsabers, for example, were an issue that was beaten to death by the playerbase, and has been adressed by Bioware.

Not to mention, it's probably a good idea not to use the word "retarded" as over half of your entire paragraph.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• curiousdaoccuriousdaoc Member Posts: 203

Whats happening to the world where people like this style of The shitty Clone Wars :( Wheres all the fans of the actual good original trilogy? Was the last good thing to come from Star Wars :(

News flash slick, people tend to like certain things and dislike others, this varies from one individual to the next.

False expecations often lead down the path to disappointment.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Ya got to give it time. Its not due out for a very long time. Trust me things will change.

• Jokel2Jokel2 Member Posts: 27

Yeah, so far the graphics are quite underwhelming..

It looks too much like a little kids game. I hope they realize that the character models and weapons have to be in proportion. I don't need any Armageddon swords in this game, amirite?

• BafucinBafucin Member Posts: 276

I agree. Characters look like retards. And the weapons are way too silly and big.

Maybe this game is fro 10 years old kids?

Oh well, better look for other Sci-fi mmorpg...

Originally posted by Bafucin

I agree. Characters look like retards. And the weapons are way too silly and big.
    Maybe this game is fro 10 years old kids?
    Oh well, better look for other Sci-fi mmorpg...

Probably a good thing you won’t be playing it then. From reading your other posts it sounds like you’ve been banned in every game you play for harassing the developers. You’d most likely just be banned anyways. 

SWG Bloodfin vet

• MasterCrysisMasterCrysis Member Posts: 94

i don't think the graphics are anything special either. Im well reminded of my nephew's saturday morning cartoons when i look at the screen shots.

but, alot may change. and even if it doesn't i don't believe bioware will miss yours or mine subscription.

I played MMO's for a long time. to long. took a break for about 2 years and I don't plan on picking up anymore until this game comes out.

i know theres some bioware and SW fanbois who think im bashing the game, which im not, im 1 myself. But MMO's in the last 4 years have been garbage and i've got so much for my life going on that Im not gonna feel like complicating it even more to play a linear saturday morning cartoon.

but, just gonna have to wait and see. its possible that the in game concepts are so in depth that when you start playing you forget all about the graphics even if they don't get better.

its way to early to tell how this game will end up at release and what it will be like.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

The graphics may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread, however, they do fit for what they are being used for.  My largest gripe was the size of the lightsabers, which as someone mentioned before, have been sized down.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by Loke666

Bioware uses a guy in a motion suit for poses and animations so you might not like how people stand but it is the way real humans stand. As for the rest, the game is still in early alpha so relax until it is closer to launch. Stuff like the humans face can as well e under work.

They might want to try motion capture with someone other than Dick from accounting.

Originally posted by MasterCrysis

i don't think the graphics are anything special either. Im well reminded of my nephew's saturday morning cartoons when i look at the screen shots.
    but, alot may change. and even if it doesn't i don't believe bioware will miss yours or mine subscription.
    I played MMO's for a long time. to long. took a break for about 2 years and I don't plan on picking up anymore until this game comes out.
    i know theres some bioware and SW fanbois who think im bashing the game, which im not, im 1 myself. But MMO's in the last 4 years have been garbage and i've got so much for my life going on that Im not gonna feel like complicating it even more to play a linear saturday morning cartoon.
    but, just gonna have to wait and see. its possible that the in game concepts are so in depth that when you start playing you forget all about the graphics even if they don't get better.
    its way to early to tell how this game will end up at release and what it will be like.

I'm just not really affected by the graphics as some are since I've played some pretty graphically challenged games, some good, and some bad. I wasn't a huge fan of the art in EQ2, but I still enjoyed my time in that game more than others I played post SWG. I played WoW for a short time, but it wasn't the graphics that turned me away from it at all, it was the game play and some of the playerbase. I tried WURM Online for a short time, I like sandbox games, but that is one of the only games where the art turned me off to the game so completely, I never bothered to try all the game play systems. I understand that for some art is really hard to overlook, but when you’ve played as many MMOs as I have, you stop looking at art so much, and start critiquing the game play systems. Sure there are things I don’t like about the art in TOR (the hair dryer gun), but artwork is so open to interpretation I don’t even bother trying to make it a factor.

Did anyone ever consider it might have something to do with the graphic limitations of the game engine itself? Or maybe it's because they wanted a game without all the avatar detail so it actually performs well. I mean photorealism takes quite a bit of system resource, both server and client side and can have an effect on event processing. I imagine this game will run much smother than SWG ever did.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• MasterCrysisMasterCrysis Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by tillamook

I'm just not really affected by the graphics as some are since I've played some pretty graphically challenged games, some good, and some bad. I wasn't a huge fan of the art in EQ2, but I still enjoyed my time in that game more than others I played post SWG. I played WoW for a short time, but it wasn't the graphics that turned me away from it at all, it was the game play and some of the playerbase. I tried WURM Online for a short time, I like sandbox games, but that is one of the only games where the art turned me off to the game so completely, I never bothered to try all the game play systems. I understand that for some art is really hard to overlook, but when you’ve played as many MMOs as I have, you stop looking at art so much, and start critiquing the game play systems. Sure there are things I don’t like about the art in TOR (the hair dryer gun), but artwork is so open to interpretation I don’t even bother trying to make it a factor.

Did anyone ever consider it might have something to do with the graphic limitations of the game engine itself? Or maybe it's because they wanted a game without all the avatar detail so it actually performs well. I mean photorealism takes quite a bit of system resource, both server and client side and can have an effect on event processing. I imagine this game will run much smother than SWG ever did.

I see your point and I'll raise you one.

I also played alot of the big graphically challenged games. and they didn't really use to bother me. But im a sandbox type player. i rather an MMO be a bit more like a lego set rather then a plastic race car track. with that being said, the concepts and lore are the most important things to me. and Im a huge SW fan to boot.

with that being said. MMO's in the last few years have been very linear and boring. i noticed you mentioned WoW's community partially turned you off from the game. i beleive the community's general attitude stemed from the game have a light sense of humor, added in with graphics and the already internet immaturity that even alot of grown men tend to display, and walla, you have the wow community.

i can see that happening with this game. vs a game like SWG, alot of that mentality was more non existant in the games development, the graphics were a bit darker so to speak.

im sure people will tend to disagree with me, but if your around imature attitude, you tend to gain this attitude, if your around more serious attitude, you tend to be more serious. and just because the character your interacting with is an NPC, doesn't mean the characters attitude doesn't help persuade your attitude.

and in terms of graphics. think of it this way. psychology 101. 2 rooms, 1 painted an ugly tan, the other painted white. study proves the ugly tan room actually tends to lean peoples attitude to being calm.

graphics of video games hold the same persuasion of attitude. light vs dark.

anyways, enough rambling for me, i gotta get back to work.

I see your point and I'll raise you one.

I also played alot of the big graphically challenged games. and they didn't really use to bother me. But im a sandbox type player. i rather an MMO be a bit more like a lego set rather then a plastic race car track. with that being said, the concepts and lore are the most important things to me. and Im a huge SW fan to boot.

with that being said. MMO's in the last few years have been very linear and boring. i noticed you mentioned WoW's community partially turned you off from the game. i beleive the community's general attitude stemed from the game have a light sense of humor, added in with graphics and the already internet immaturity that even alot of grown men tend to display, and walla, you have the wow community.

i can see that happening with this game. vs a game like SWG, alot of that mentality was more non existant in the games development, the graphics were a bit darker so to speak.

im sure people will tend to disagree with me, but if your around imature attitude, you tend to gain this attitude, if your around more serious attitude, you tend to be more serious. and just because the character your interacting with is an NPC, doesn't mean the characters attitude doesn't help persuade your attitude.

and in terms of graphics. think of it this way. psychology 101. 2 rooms, 1 painted an ugly tan, the other painted white. study proves the ugly tan room actually tends to lean peoples attitude to being calm.

graphics of video games hold the same persuasion of attitude. light vs dark.

anyways, enough rambling for me, i gotta get back to work.

I’m not sure graphics or Art have as much of an effect on the kinds of players and their attitudes as you think, it’s deeper than that. I do agree it is somewhat true, to an extent. SWG had a mix of player types, keep that in mind. It has more to do with the game systems than anything. WoW has some serious player types, just look at the RP servers. The server I was on I met some great people, and there were some punks, but this was a PvP server, and that probably had more to do with it than anything.

I like Sandbox type games for the type of really creative people they bring in, one thing I don’t like is the girlish drama a lot of those creative type players bring with them. Linear games bring in a few of the “leet kid” types, but also people who are competitive and strategic. If you think they don’t mix well just look at SWG, they did fine together personality wise most of the time, which proves it can work. It’s just that one or the other’s system adversely affected the other enough to foster hate and discontent.

The artwork isn’t nearly as stylized as WoW is. (No wood beams the size of cars ect) What I see that I don’t like, I think I can get used to as long as it’s fun.

If BioWare can balance this right like I think they can, it may be a really great game. These guys took a scientific and psychological approach to building this game from what they’ve said; it will be neat to see what comes of this. Building a game for everyone’s playstyle, solo adventurer, groupers, guild eletitists ect. Art was really middle of the road hence Stylized+Realism instead of just stylized or just Realism.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• rsachs10rsachs10 Member Posts: 1

i mean these are just screen shots, and they havnt even finished the game yet

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

TBH this weapon looks a bit oversized and the hairdryer seems bit off too. Lightsabers look pretty good now.

• WheezalWheezal Member UncommonPosts: 249

oh did Bioware address the oversized weapons?  i must have missed that.   art direction is iffy for me, gameplay is more important, but graphics do help in the immersion level to a degree.

it's so early...who knows.  i have high hopes tho.

MMO Name: InVictus Kell
    Currently Playing:
    EVE Online

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I agree with the OP, these graphics and "art style" look horrible. SWG actually looks better than these screenshots and that game is 5 years old. Really sad to see them taking this childish route and is going to hurt the immersion factor.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I agree with the OP, these graphics and "art style" look horrible. SWG actually looks better than these screenshots and that game is 5 years old. Really sad to see them taking this childish route and is going to hurt the immersion factor.

Well everything that isn't SWG looks like shit to you, beacuse you are still stuck on that. What the hell do you want, SWG graphics again? No, they didn't look real, they were plastic and unsmooth as hell.

Besides, it's in freaking Alpha or whatever still, If they go for a better but similar art style as Kotor, it will be good.

Immersion, childish? Immersion is what you make it to be, but you will only see SWG where ever or whatever you look at. Get over it.

Don't drink yourself to sleep, it's bad for the "immersion". Your sight get all glimsy and dizzy.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

Obvious troll is obvious.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Obvious fanboi is obvious?

I don't know how that is trolling. the "art style" in SWG looks more realistic and more like Star Wars then these screen shots we have seen.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• N3oN_666N3oN_666 Member Posts: 136

Obvious fanboi is obvious?

I don't know how that is trolling. the "art style" in SWG looks more realistic and more like Star Wars then these screen shots we have seen.

I'm going to say what I said in this other thread to you and it obviously scared you off because I got no response. Either that or you're a bad troll

All I ever do is see you on these boards flaming the game. Quite frankly if you don't want to play it don't waste our time blabbering. I don't see why people like you think you need to flame a game that many people are looking forward to. Oh yes, I remember... because hating is the "Cool" thing to do, well I hate to break it to you. You're just making yourself look ignorant.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

If we are fanbois, you're a troll.

The thing is, we don't really know a shit. I don't like the sound of the gameplay, coulden't really care shit about graphics. I didn't play SWG for the graphics thats for sure.

Instead of draging your penis trying to find a tiny hole enough to fit it, CHILL OUT.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.