Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accounts banned for duping

ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

I already posted on the Asura thread, but i deserves its own topic

Offical Announcement

Blue Gartr Thread

FFXIAH Thread

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

It amazes me how stupid players still are sometimes.  Everyone knows that Square monitors the players actions very well in FFXI to the point it seems like stalking....heh

Why they would continue to use an exploit knowing that banning is coming is beyond me.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by Khrymson

It amazes me how stupid players still are sometimes.  Everyone knows that Square monitors the players actions very well in FFXI to the point it seems like stalking....heh
    Why they would continue to use an exploit knowing that banning is coming is beyond me.

They didn't continue to use it (at least as far as I am reading). They are going after people who used it before they fixed it. I didn't even know that you could do this -- and I just now finally read in a post how it was done for the first time. I don't use windower as you all know so this is really news to me.

I am just really intreged because I'm waiting for a few assholes names to drop. I'm on like 4 forums getting info. From what I can see endgame Asura just got ass raped though.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

If only I could have been one of them, I couldn't even get myself banned. :(

but I thought this was appropriate.

img140.imageshack.us/my.php

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

The classic "It won't happen to me" mentality. People seem to always think that "bad things" only happen to others, or that they're somehow "above" getting the ban hammer. Then reality comes around to bite 'em in the ass, and they wonder, "Why me?"

I just chalk it up to karma. You cheat. You get caught. You pay the price. Don't wanna get banned? Don't cheat.

What I love about some of the posts I'm reading from people who apparently were banned is that they're taking the typical  attitude of playing "the victim"...

They didn't do anything wrong... no no... SE is just being mean.

I mean, I'm reading some of the self-serving, ego-centric crap some of these people are spewing out in their own defense... One person says they were reported by other players who were jealous of their "pimp-ass salvage gear".

I mean seriously. It never ceases to amaze me.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• NotArkardNotArkard Lord of the Rings Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 164

I used to dupe...

...in Oblivion.

Then it got patched.

The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.

Originally posted by NotArkard

I used to dupe...

...in Oblivion.
    Then it got patched.

I duped in Oblivion without realizing it ... granted ... you don't need money in Oblivion it is way too easy to come by. Difference between cheating in Oblivion and cheating in FFXI is that in Oblvion you are only cheating yourself in FFXI you are cheating a world.

Early on (the first 20 pages) of the BG forums today were disgusting. People who had gotten banned were playing it off not as if they were the victim (that might be appropriate in some back asswards kinda way) they were playing it off as if it was their right to cheat, that they didn't do anything wrong and since they were endgame it was their privilage to cheat the rules to get more drops. Absolutely revolting and disgusting.

This is actually quite a big things guys. This is the first time that SE has gone after real players. 500 might not seem like much when they ban 12k-14k a month, but those are gil sellers, and honestly those are the same gil sellers month after month so they might add 13k suscribers, but they are banning those same 13k within 4 weeks. This is an attack on the players that have played and have explioted and basically owned the endgame due to cheating. These are actual players, ones that I have played with for 5 years now.

This is big, bigger than you might realize ... and i guarantee you it isn't over yet.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

There are a couple of times before this they went after players, it's just that this is on such a large scale that it's surprising. Totally justified though. From what I've read at BG, they said more bannings are to come. They mean business!

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• NotArkardNotArkard Lord of the Rings Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 164

It's funny, I never thought it would be possible for a mainstream MMO to be able to have a dupe glitch. I was always of the mentality that such things were reserved for single player RPGs, Ragnarok Online and Priston Tale.

I still have no idea how they did it.

The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by ic0n67

They didn't continue to use it (at least as far as I am reading). They are going after people who used it before they fixed it.

Thats what I mean, FFXI is not an easy game.......it should be readily apparent that if your getting stuff way faster than you know should be possible and keep doing it over and over even if it hasn't been labled an exploit yet; as proven not only in this instance but in most MMOs the devs will find out and the exploits are easily traced back to who used them and how often.

Does it just not even enter their minds, "hmm something is wrong but I'm not going to report it, I'm going to just keep doing this over and over and get ahead fast."  I don't feel sorry for anyone even if it was a friend that gets banned if you take advantage of something when you can clearly see that its not right.

I'm very anti-cheat, hack, exploit, codes, guides, etc in everything I play!  I like to earn it all in my own time cause if just feels so good when ya do!

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

*soapbox* 

WARNING! WALL OF TEXT TO FOLLOW!  WARNING! WALL OF TEXT TO FOLLOW!

So I wake up this morning to some crazy rumors.  It starts with "Hey, did you hear Minidragon got banned?".  I thought "oh man, another rumor starting up".  Then, i noticed more people talking about it   Then more and more and then, evidence.  I check other people and, yep, they're banned too.

A lot of people are going on about this and that about if this is cheating or not.  Is a glitch introduced by SE cheating if you use it to your advantage?  What about those who beat PW with spamming Cannonball and losing about 35k exp.  What about those who glitched AV and beat her the first time ever.

Personally, I fall under the area that yes, this is cheating and the people who got busted doing it, got what they deserved.  Does it suck? Sure it does.  I have dealings with Minidragon before and he was never anything more than pleasant to talk to.  Others have not had such a pleasant experience but I think alot of that falls into jealousy (which is sad considering it's a game).  It's sad to say it but the people who were temp banned and come back shouldn't come back.  They will forever be those guys who cheated and every accomplishment that we earned, and possibly they earnd rightfully so, will always be tainted.  

And such is the peril of cheating.  When you cheat you can get money fast and possibly not even caught.  Who the hell would have thought SE had the logs or man power to look through the past years worth of logs.  I surely didn't think they did that's for damn sure.  But even with a moment of weakness your accomplishments that you worked so damn hard for will always be pulled into question.  I know that i had a little respect for NineInchNinjas because they always got the gear that noone else got.  But now, you have to ask, did they get it rightfully so?  Most of it probably.  But what parts?  It's a story of the rotten apple spoiling the bunch in that you dont know so it's all poisoned.

Another arguement being thrown about is "If you could do it and knew about it you'd have done it too".  I hate this arguement because this is throwing that cheater title to those who didn't and you're telling them "you'd have cheated too if given the chance".  This is completely untrue beacuse we could all cheat.  We could all use fishbots.  We could all buy gil.  We could all use craft bots and the such but we dont.  They're not that hard to find.  Yet it's the majority of people who don't use these because they want the challenge of the game.  I abhore botters and cheaters and gil buyers and have even turned in a friend or two for gil buying in the past.  They admitted it to me, i took a screenshot and i reported them.  I would report my own mother for it (after i emptied her account most likely though).

And for those who really question if this was really cheating. Yes, it is.  You know it is and you can justify it however you want to sleep at night but you know damn well it was cheating.  No matter if your arguement is that it was "SE's fault" you exploited it and you knew it was an exploit.  You knew it wasn't working like it should have and you were left with 3 options. A.) Report it B.) Exploit It C.) Ignore it (and not use it).  You chose to exploit it and for your troubles you got banned.  Good luck in your future endeavors but I think i speak for most if not all if I say, i hope your future endeavors including leaving FFXI alone.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

Originally posted by NotArkard

I still have no idea how they did it.

Okay and this is from readint he BG forums. I don't know how accurate it is nor -- I will state again -- did I know how to do it before yesterday at like noon.

What they did was they were in Salvage with an alliance and say some lvl 35 Body piece drops. What has happening is they would disband the alliance and when they did it they would have 3 copies of the Treasure Pool (one for each party) so 3 lvl 35 Body pieces would fall ... redo the alliance and keep going for the next drop.

From what I am hearing is people who are geting LM-17ed (temp banned) need to call support for them to reactivate it and when they do they are basically put on trial. Some of those LM-17s are turing into LM-11s (deleted character).

There is a difference between this and AV. AV used game physics to win. You could easily accidently train AV into a wall and never expect it to be a problem. It is kinda what you are supposed to do and you just got lucky doing it. With this you have to disband an alliance. Who disbands an alliance with an uber rare drop in the treasure pool. This was a poor code that no one saw coming.

Also with AV when they beat it the linkshell was like: "Oh here is how we did it" to which SE said: "No that isn't the way we need to fix that." With the duping people knew about it and no one reported it. This is where using a glitch to your advantage turns into expoliation of a glitch.

Compare it to walking up to an ATM machine and pushing the code 0057 and $50 comes out. Here comes your moral compass. You could: (1) Tell someone about it and give back the $50. (2) Pocket the $50 and anonymously tell someone about it Or (3) Keep coming back repeated and get free $50s and then when someone catches you tell them how to do it in return for them not turning you in. Would you expect someone to get arrested for 1 or 2? No. Expect them to get arrested for 3? You betcha. AV falls under the 2 while the duping falls under 3. You could make an argument that it was the ATM manufacturers fault for putting a crappy product out, but you'd be wrong you'd still be stealing.

And lol on the part on the rightfully getting equipment. My entire LS which is basically a break off of another shell because we didn't agree with the means that our old leader was going to to get gear jump for joy when we did a /sea all  and she was not around. I mean, it wasn't even just a manner of cheating FFXI like this dupe thing, she would cheat her own LS members. It is good to see her die and now we can all piss on her grave.

I hate the justification that "You'd be cheating if you could" there have been plenty of chances for me to cheat in this game (windower, dat removals) and irl (tests, girlfriends) and I have not. And honestly, if you has seen Dané -- good lord that woman is amazing -- your truly understand the meaning of willpower. ... ... gimme a minute here .... ... okay ... So where was I? 

Yeah that arguement is bullshit. If I was ever in a Salvage group that did that I would have fireflyed out and started calling GMs immediatly. I want no part in that. And it isn't even the threat of losing my character -- One thing about me is I really don't care if I am play FFXI or not. It is what I do between important things in life. It is that I don't want to do something and take the shortcut to do it. I want to feel a sense of accomplishment. I play through offline games without checking a tip guide (unless I am really lost and when I am that lost there is no way It was the next obvious thing to do) my first time through and only resort to one after when I am trying to get 100% beat. What is the challange in an FPS when you have god mode on. Part of the fun in the game is the survival.

There are always going to be mistakes in coding. Trust me I do it every day for work. I make mistakes, I fix them when they are pointed out. One of the hardest things to do in a game like FFXI (or any MMO) is figure out if something is broken or like that for a reason. The world is built off physics that is not of our world so it is hard to understand. "Did the programmers purposely put this invisible wall here" probably not but you never know. "Did the programmers purposely make it so I can dupe items" fuck no.

Trust me I would love to really bash people who took part in exploit. I'm looking at the Asura list which is now 65 (and my 10+ I was talking about before are still not on there). I am seeing the gammet people who are full of themselves, of assholes, of pricks, but I am also seeing some good people. People I talked to just an hour or two before the banning. People who promised me most of their gear if they ever left (which won't be happening now >.>). There are still about 550 names yet to drop so my day will be spent refreshing webpages at work.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Since Squares asks that you report any dupes or problems it is 100% cheating if you take advantage of it.

I am still reeling over a couple years ago a big scam that to this day i have not heard SE fess up to or any actions being taken.The might earrings involving the light ore.I used to be an avid ore grower seller,i had 6 mules going ,ya insane i know lol.I watched the AH everyday,there was no ffxiah or at least i didn't know of it at the time.Light ores there was maybe 4-6 everyday,it would fluctuate down to 1/2 maybe 10 but never anything drastic.

These ores sold around 60-100k depending demand and luck/timing.Well i happened to notice one day that there was a ton of Light ores for sale like 40-60.I was like wtf? something is up.Well the next day the update comes out and we all find out the ores are part of the earrings quest.Well ONLY two things could have happened ,inside job by some of the SE employees or the info was put into the .DAT files,witch is an obvious bonehead thing to do by SE,they would be creating their own dupe on purpose,kind of two faced IMO.BTW the players that knew of this before hand were able to sell the ores for 1.5 mil,even a couple days after still sold for 600k-1mil,far above the usual 60-100k.

So either SE created their problem  or was an inside job,no matter i have heard nothing to this day of any employee being fired or SE fessing up,they ruin the whole game by entering .DAT file info before it is accessible to the legit players.I am sure they do not do this anymore but geesh,they are just as responsible and careless for some of the stuff that goes on.Mining pos cheats went on for and were reported a VERY long time before they acted.I guarantee the most cheated item i nthe game was the Lu Shangs rod,they know it we know it,you think they checked the logs for 24/7 fishing?i bet 90% of the rods were botted.

The gold beastcoin dupes the RMT used for over a month after being reported ,took them that long to stop it??geesh,then SE gets all smiley and claims how they removed all the gil from those coins from the game,it was like 150 million i believe they said,from each server.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Since Squares asks that you report any dupes or problems it is 100% cheating if you take advantage of it.
    I am still reeling over a couple years ago a big scam that to this day i have not heard SE fess up to or any actions being taken.The might earrings involving the light ore.I used to be an avid ore grower seller,i had 6 mules going ,ya insane i know lol.I watched the AH everyday,there was no ffxiah or at least i didn't know of it at the time.Light ores there was maybe 4-6 everyday,it would fluctuate down to 1/2 maybe 10 but never anything drastic.
    These ores sold around 60-100k depending demand and luck/timing.Well i happened to notice one day that there was a ton of Light ores for sale like 40-60.I was like wtf? something is up.Well the next day the update comes out and we all find out the ores are part of the earrings quest.Well ONLY two things could have happened ,inside job by some of the SE employees or the info was put into the .DAT files,witch is an obvious bonehead thing to do by SE,they would be creating their own dupe on purpose,kind of two faced IMO.BTW the players that knew of this before hand were able to sell the ores for 1.5 mil,even a couple days after still sold for 600k-1mil,far above the usual 60-100k.
    So either SE created their problem  or was an inside job,no matter i have heard nothing to this day of any employee being fired or SE fessing up,they ruin the whole game by entering .DAT file info before it is accessible to the legit players.I am sure they do not do this anymore but geesh,they are just as responsible and careless for some of the stuff that goes on.Mining pos cheats went on for and were reported a VERY long time before they acted.I guarantee the most cheated item i nthe game was the Lu Shangs rod,they know it we know it,you think they checked the logs for 24/7 fishing?i bet 90% of the rods were botted.
    The gold beastcoin dupes the RMT used for over a month after being reported ,took them that long to stop it??geesh,then SE gets all smiley and claims how they removed all the gil from those coins from the game,it was like 150 million i believe they said,from each server.

This same thing happend back in November when they released the new wedding gear for males, one of the items I forget which sold for like 10k and was hardly ever up but right before the patch there was like 20-40 up for about 60k or more.

funny thing is it was the same patch that fixed the duping bug lol.

Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Everyone who was banned got what they deserved.

• reloxerreloxer Member Posts: 12

From what I'm reading most of these people have only gotten temp. banned. They'll be back, but I wonder if they get to keep the gear >.>

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Suplyndmnd

*soapbox* 
    WARNING! WALL OF TEXT TO FOLLOW!  WARNING! WALL OF TEXT TO FOLLOW!

So I wake up this morning to some crazy rumors.  It starts with "Hey, did you hear Minidragon got banned?".  I thought "oh man, another rumor starting up".  Then, i noticed more people talking about it   Then more and more and then, evidence.  I check other people and, yep, they're banned too.
    A lot of people are going on about this and that about if this is cheating or not.  Is a glitch introduced by SE cheating if you use it to your advantage?  What about those who beat PW with spamming Cannonball and losing about 35k exp.  What about those who glitched AV and beat her the first time ever.
    Personally, I fall under the area that yes, this is cheating and the people who got busted doing it, got what they deserved.  Does it suck? Sure it does.  I have dealings with Minidragon before and he was never anything more than pleasant to talk to.  Others have not had such a pleasant experience but I think alot of that falls into jealousy (which is sad considering it's a game).  It's sad to say it but the people who were temp banned and come back shouldn't come back.  They will forever be those guys who cheated and every accomplishment that we earned, and possibly they earnd rightfully so, will always be tainted.  
    And such is the peril of cheating.  When you cheat you can get money fast and possibly not even caught.  Who the hell would have thought SE had the logs or man power to look through the past years worth of logs.  I surely didn't think they did that's for damn sure.  But even with a moment of weakness your accomplishments that you worked so damn hard for will always be pulled into question.  I know that i had a little respect for NineInchNinjas because they always got the gear that noone else got.  But now, you have to ask, did they get it rightfully so?  Most of it probably.  But what parts?  It's a story of the rotten apple spoiling the bunch in that you dont know so it's all poisoned.
    Another arguement being thrown about is "If you could do it and knew about it you'd have done it too".  I hate this arguement because this is throwing that cheater title to those who didn't and you're telling them "you'd have cheated too if given the chance".  This is completely untrue beacuse we could all cheat.  We could all use fishbots.  We could all buy gil.  We could all use craft bots and the such but we dont.  They're not that hard to find.  Yet it's the majority of people who don't use these because they want the challenge of the game.  I abhore botters and cheaters and gil buyers and have even turned in a friend or two for gil buying in the past.  They admitted it to me, i took a screenshot and i reported them.  I would report my own mother for it (after i emptied her account most likely though).
    And for those who really question if this was really cheating. Yes, it is.  You know it is and you can justify it however you want to sleep at night but you know damn well it was cheating.  No matter if your arguement is that it was "SE's fault" you exploited it and you knew it was an exploit.  You knew it wasn't working like it should have and you were left with 3 options. A.) Report it B.) Exploit It C.) Ignore it (and not use it).  You chose to exploit it and for your troubles you got banned.  Good luck in your future endeavors but I think i speak for most if not all if I say, i hope your future endeavors including leaving FFXI alone.

- clap clap -

Bravo, and I agree :)

Though we've discussed this very topic already, so you knew that already. Just going on record with it.

Cheating is cheating is cheating and I don't believe for a second that anyone using an exploit doesn't realize that something is off about it. Especially in a MMO like FFXI where it's notoriously difficult, or at least time consuming, to acquire just about anything that's really good; particularly at the higher levels.

Many have that "It's only wrong if you get caught" attitude... only to cry "foul" and pull out the "righteous indignation" card and start talking about how "it was the developers' fault" when they're caught.

The developers may have screwed up by not catching that bug... but the developrs did not make anyone use it.

It's very simple... Play the game legitimately, don't cheat and you won't get banned.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops