Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alantica Again foul play.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Comments

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

No need for such serious business. I mean, really, I think everyone here knows that the mmorpg.com rating system is a bit "off" in general

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• JMadisonIVJMadisonIV Member Posts: 282

if you seperate the F2P and P2P games, then Atlantica would still likely be #1 on the F2P list, because no matter how much the MMORPG.com Forum Anti-Microtransaction Bias makes you want to think otherwise, Atlantica is a damn good game, period.

It's clearly the best F2P on the Market(imo), and it holds up very well against the current P2P titles.

I'd pay 15 a month for it, if that were the business model they felt like going with. *shrug*

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by solareus

Originally posted by JMadisonIV

if you seperate the F2P and P2P games, then Atlantica would still likely be #1 on the F2P list, because no matter how much the MMORPG.com Forum Anti-Microtransaction Bias makes you want to think otherwise, Atlantica is a damn good game, period.
    It's clearly the best F2P on the Market(imo), and it holds up very well against the current P2P titles.
    I'd pay 15 a month for it, if that were the business model they felt like going with. *shrug*

The concept of the game is great, but for the most part I've played it and it ranks no where near games like LotRO, War or even Vanguard. It is a very niche game, and magically the audience for it is able to push the score to number one in a mtter of hours.

I'd disagree.

I think it stands up to LOTRO, not better than, but in the general vicinity.

I think it's clearly better than WAR.

I've not played Vanguard, so I have no basis to judge.

• iamspamicusiamspamicus Member UncommonPosts: 114

It doesn't surprise me at all.

The hundreds of shills that Atlantica has had in the mmorpg forums posting for many months, leads me to believe they have no problem with ethics and falsifying ratings/reviews. 

You can tell the difference between shills and real posters. Shills all joined around the same date, had 90% of their posts in the atlantica/general forums about how great the game is, and  10% in some random off topic thread just to try and look legit. - Not to mention the poor english and being born somewhere in some wierd city/state combo like Chicago,New York

I was going to try the game, but having to wade through  tons of fake copy and paste " awesome game!" reviews  made me  want to avoid it entirely.  - It's a shame, because I might have liked it otherwise. The honest reviews by real people  seem to think  it's an ok game.

I just have a supreme hatred of people that lie to get what they want. There is no way I would support a company that would use those slimey tactics to get customers.

I gotta wonder if this game had a regular Monthly Fee and didn't use the Item Mall business model, would we even be talking about its rating? It would probably still be in the top 10, but would anyone even have an issue with that?

it's like the F2P/Item Mall business model means that it can't possibly be a good/popular game and that any MMO that doesn't have the regular 15-dollars-a-month business model, if it gets a good rating it has to be "foul play" because there is no way in hell anyone could ever make a decent game with that business model, and there is no way anyone could possibly like such a game..with that business model.

eh. whatever. I played the game, I liked the game, I'm still playing the game. and I think the game is better than a lot of the crappy unfinished/buggy P2P games that have been released recently.  that's my opinion after playing it, and after playing nearly every Major P2P MMO that's been released. and you can see my join date, and my post history and make a judgement as to whether I'm a "shill" or I am "lying" or whatever.

one of these days people will start judging a game based on the quality of the game itself, and not based on its business model.

eh, nm.

eh, nm.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Atlantica Online is a great game, I only recently quit playing everyday (I still play at least once a week though) since I finally got myself and 14 Mercenaries to level 120 .  It's a very good game, I don't think it is better than LotRO, but it's up there... If I had to rank the games this is what I would rank them at:

Dark Age of Camelot

Lord of the Rings Online

Atlantica Online

Warhammer

Age of Conan

Dark Age of Camelot has the best PvP by far still, but it's way down in like 15th (mainly just because it's older).  Going by the enjoyment you get while playing (which should be the only reason you play a GAME) Dark Age of Camlot is easily the best.

Originally posted by Gravarg

Atlantica Online is a great game, I only recently quit playing everyday (I still play at least once a week though) since I finally got myself and 14 Mercenaries to level 120 .  It's a very good game, I don't think it is better than LotRO, but it's up there... If I had to rank the games this is what I would rank them at:

Dark Age of Camelot
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Atlantica Online
    Warhammer
    Age of Conan

Dark Age of Camelot has the best PvP by far still, but it's way down in like 15th (mainly just because it's older).  Going by the enjoyment you get while playing (which should be the only reason you play a GAME) Dark Age of Camlot is easily the best.

I'd put Ryzom, City of Heroes/Villains, and WoW above Warhammer and Conan.  but the rest I agree with.

I'll agree that Atlantica probably shouldn't be #1, but it isn't crap like the OP likes to say it is. and i maintain that if it had a monthly fee and no cash shop, nobody would complain about its rating, even if it were #1.

• WOWthatsucksWOWthatsucks Member Posts: 164

I didnt enjoy atlantica at all but thats just my opinion.  Only thing i did like about it was that it was free. But to each his own.  i didnt like the pvp either.. boring..silly quests .. lame trade skills...item malls=weak...i would rather be forever stuck in the field of bone with a invisible spider chasing me then play this game....

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I actually have a lifetime sub to LOTRO (and if there is any doubt I play it, check my gallery for some pics of my character, including modeling some of his holiday gifts).

But instead of playing LOTRO, I'm playing Atlantica. Why? Because LOTRO isn't all that great. Atlantica beats it in a couple areas, at least right now.

Combat. In Lotro, you just hit the number keys in order. At least on my Champion, every fight is pretty much just hitting the same keys over and over until the thing is dead. And the monster variety is dull. Same things over and over and over. Boars. Orcs. Goblins. Bears. Then a few levels later, it's more of them.  There's some different stuff, like the undead used to be wights, then it's ghosts. But largely it repeats much of the monster variety.

Antlantica has truly unique combat. It's not always hard, many fights are simple, but some require a lot of thought, especially when you fight other players.

Community:  Lotro has a very stuck up, unfriendly one that is dwindling. Atlantica's is friendly and growing. Like free games, it's very uh, multicultural and a lot of kids, so there's a fair amount of oddness.

I have played LOTRO for 7 months and haven't been able to find a guild (kinship). In Atlantica I've been playing for 2 weeks and have had 3 offers

Similarly, people in LOTRO never, ever group, and complain when you help or even just get too close. In Atlantica, people group all the time. Why? Because the game rewards people for it. Whereas in LOTRO, the game penalizes people for it, for the most part. Except LOTRO has tons of group quests, which need groups. If you can't find a group (and I haven't for months) you're stuck doing just grinding quests, which are boring as heck.

The community tools are actually really nice in Atlantica, more games should copy it. From how it rewards people for being friends with someone (like giving XP bonuses to you when they level up) to the perks you get for giving gifts to new players, to things like the in game message board, to how the chat works. Thanks to the "Peer" setting, I can always talk to people around that level.

OTOH, in LOTRO, it's only zone based. So you're only talking to people near you, and at least when I play, there's never anyone around. Sure, it supports private channels, but if you aren't in one of the cliques that knows of a channel, you're outta luck and/or unwelcome

And then there is a lot of complex stuff for Guilds in Atlantica, like guild dungeons, guild crafting, taking over towns, etc. Maybe that's in LOTRO, but not being in a guild in that (as mentioned, I've never been able to find one, despite posting on the official forums a few times), I miss out.

That's not to say Atlantica is perfect. Far from it.  The graphics are bad, nowhere near LOTRO or even say, Guild Wars.  The cash shop is pretty gougy, with a lot of gambling type of items. While it has many quests for a free game, the quest system is quite linear, not that inventive (lots of kill x of y for z, though LOTRO has a ton of those, too).  The translation is a little stilted in places.

But it's certainly a very solid game and certainly the best free one I've tried.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there