Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparison of Mortal Online and Darkfall features

shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199

Keep in mind that this list is tentative!

Credit to SnakePitAndre and the others who replied in the thread for creating this list, though i made some minor alterations:

www.mortalonline.com/forums/3905-mortal-online-vs-darkfall.html

Mortal Online: www.mortalonline.com

Darkfall: www.darkfallonline.com

General Informations

Both of those games are MMORPGs (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) with a fantasy ambient. Both of them are currently under development. Darkfall is at the final step into Beta test. Mortal Online is currently in Alpha test phase. Because of that, many features about Mortal Online are not known yet.

Features of DF that MO might not have (we don't know all of MO's features yet)

Massive world size and server population

Migration of mobs

Naval combat (although MO will add it later)

A larger world

Universal Banking

Bindstones

More spells

Hover tanks with mounted flame throwers

Third-person view gameplay

Traps

Skills decay over time

Single Character per Server

Features of MO (maybe) that DF doesn't have

The ability to prone

Local item banks

Ten Hitboxes

Animal taming (i'll also note they seem to have implemented them in a way that they don't auto-attack, maybe they serve some other useful purpose)

Red/Blue flagging system as opposed to a faction based one

NPC guilds (similar to DF's prestige classes, which have been removed atm, they might be in later)

Full FPV immersion

Creation of gods/cults

Pickpocketing

Droppable items

Static skills

Multiple Character per Server

Shared features

No levels

No premade classes

Skill-based games

FFA pvp

Full loot

Siege/conquest pvp

House building

No floating names

Additional damage when running towards opponent

Aimed attacks

Instant travel

Comments

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

only on this is not there is the "anti zerg" stuff

friendly fire ? mezz ?

BestSigEver :P

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

while both games sound good i'd say the game i would most likely want to play would be one with a massive world (Darkfall), skill system (both) and the ability to tame pets that actually do useful stuff (MO, aparently).

if i was forced (at gunpoint) to choose i would say Darkfall simply because it will be released first and have longer time to sort out problems that may arrise and update the game.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by shrapnel20

I'm being nitpicky but DF does not have a third person view.  Melee character do get an over the shoulder view ( very limited 3rd person ), but it isn't free roaming.

DF devs have planned for a free trial before you must buy so I would reccommend everyone try out DF and migrate to MO later if you find its features more appealing.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by thinktank001

I'm being nitpicky but DF does not have a third person view.  Melee character do get an over the shoulder view ( very limited 3rd person ), but it isn't free roaming.

DF devs have planned for a free trial before you must buy so I would reccommend everyone try out DF and migrate to MO later if you find its features more appealing.

I have issues with Tasos (written about previously elsewhere) so I won't be in DF. That and I'm not so keen on the ping I would be getting to a EU server. Seen my ping times in COD5 to EU servers and they look nasty. Most NA servers I get 50 or less. Yeah, I'm a ping whore, lol, especially in a PvP based game. Can't have the transmissions holding me back!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• ClaesClaes Member CommonPosts: 265

IMO the hugest difference is that Mortal Online is built on the Unreal 3 Engine. Insane.

I'm probably looking forward to MO the most, but I'm pre-ordering Darkfall the second I can.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Mortal Online.. but I'll probably give it a go with Darkfall until MO released.

Number one, hoving tanks?  Two, I don't like factions.  I like Red/Grat/Blue criminal system.  U3 graphics engine is awesome.  And already, the player animations and immersion factors are on MO's side.  Star Vault hasn't done anything shady like Adventurine has too.  I don't like being treated like crap, which is basically what Adventurine has been doing for the last eight years.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

oooh, a lets compare 2 MMOs that aren't out yet thread....pointless!

• sanedorsanedor Member Posts: 485

Both have features that i like .. lets hope both see the light of day soon..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think he wrote it on the wrong list, I seen MO screens and mocies in 3rd person. It is DF that don't havt 3rd person.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Loke666

I think he wrote it on the wrong list, I seen MO screens and mocies in 3rd person. It is DF that don't havt 3rd person.

DF has third person... there are videos... very long ones.. that show it in action.  It's not "over the shoulder" either.

The only MO screens in third person are when you are mounted.  It shows you that on their screenshot gallery and I've read the same in interviews.  They want to be the first MMO to have a true first person view.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Ok, I seen only screens and a very short Vid of DF. Then the OP is just wrong.

• rageagainstrageagainst Member Posts: 618
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

I have issues with Tasos (written about previously elsewhere) so I won't be in DF. That and I'm not so keen on the ping I would be getting to a EU server. Seen my ping times in COD5 to EU servers and they look nasty. Most NA servers I get 50 or less. Yeah, I'm a ping whore, lol, especially in a PvP based game. Can't have the transmissions holding me back!

you do know that MO and DF are basically the same game, with a few different features (if you overlook the gigantic similarities), which game is better will mostly depend on the delivery of their promises. Never have I played or not played a game based on the devs on my feelings over the devs, but if your that emo (emotional) w/e go for it (don't try DF)

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

Lol according to this I'm bipolar :O

Ok, I seen only screens and a very short Vid of DF. Then the OP is just wrong.

athens 30 min vid and the 17 min gameplay vid too short for you? You should hate MO then...

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

Originally posted by rageagainst

you do know that MO and DF are basically the same game, with a few different features (if you overlook the gigantic similarities), which game is better will mostly depend on the delivery of their promises. Never have I played or not played a game based on the devs on my feelings over the devs, but if your that emo (emotional) w/e go for it (don't try DF)

You know, I started not to respond because if all you have is to try and name call me with the emo, that in itself proves the level of thought, or lack thereof, that you have attained. One day you'll reach a level of discussion when you can talk about issues without trying to look cute with your little name jabs. But, maybe not, huh?

Anyway, plenty of people daily (this may astonish you) make a decision to buy or not buy products based on their interactions with sales people. You go to a restaurant and wait an hour before wait staff comes to get your drink order and you're the only one in the place, you might get up and leave (I would). You go to any store to buy something and you overhear the staff speaking negatively of you, you might leave and shop elsewhere (I would).

If you listen closely to people talk they give you a good indication of who/what they are. I've listened to Tasos, I hear another Smedly. My opinion. Not asking for your confirmation on said opinion. If you're cool with a salesperson (Tasos) who talks down to you, that's your thing. I'm not really into mental/verbal masochism.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

You know, I started not to respond because if all you have is to try and name call me with the emo, that in itself proves the level of thought, or lack thereof, that you have attained. One day you'll reach a level of discussion when you can talk about issues without trying to look cute with your little name jabs. But, maybe not, huh?

Anyway, plenty of people daily (this may astonish you) make a decision to buy or not buy products based on their interactions with sales people. You go to a restaurant and wait an hour before wait staff comes to get your drink order and you're the only one in the place, you might get up and leave (I would). You go to any store to buy something and you overhear the staff speaking negatively of you, you might leave and shop elsewhere (I would).

If you listen closely to people talk they give you a good indication of who/what they are. I've listened to Tasos, I hear another Smedly. My opinion. Not asking for your confirmation on said opinion. If you're cool with a salesperson (Tasos) who talks down to you, that's your thing. I'm not really into mental/verbal masochism.

i didn't mean emo offensively, i meant it as "emotional", just like a woman, making decisions on feelings rather than facts. I don't know if Tasos has ill intentions. He's lied a few times, i'll give him that. But if he actually has a good product, who am I to judge? I don't know, what you're doing to me seems like you're judging before the trial

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

i didn't mean emo offensively, i meant it as "emotional", just like a woman, making decisions on feelings rather than facts. I don't know if Tasos has ill intentions. He's lied a few times, i'll give him that. But if he actually has a good product, who am I to judge? I don't know, what you're doing to me seems like you're judging before the trial

Part of my decision was on feelings...gut feelings. I've read the few interviews Tasos has given and the guy comes off as an arrogant jerk. My opinion, granted, but that's how I see the guy. You mentioned he has lied more than a few times, which is a fact. Putting those two together it is enough for me to decide that I just don't want to give this guy any of my money.

Judging before the trial? Show one place where I have remarked negatively about DF the game? You can't. I have issue with the folks making the game, in particular Tasos. Which is fine as it is unrealistic to be expected to like everyone on this planet. Not to mention there is no guarantee that I would even get a trial.

If you have no issues with the guy lying, and setting a precedent for more lying down the road. If you want to give that guy your money, hey, more power to you. I'd rather give my money to folks who play it straight with me. Like I've always said, I hope DF is what you guys who have followed it want it to be. It's close to what I would want, but the little differences between it and MO are the differences that seperate close to what I want from almost exactly what I want. MO is almost exactly.

Chavez y Chavez

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Then his mistake of writing it in the wrong list caused me to vote wrong.

Having no 3rd person view is a deal breaker to me, since I get motion sickness from playing first person games.

• shrapnel20shrapnel20 Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by TalRasha

Then his mistake of writing it in the wrong list caused me to vote wrong.

Having no 3rd person view is a deal breaker to me, since I get motion sickness from playing first person games.

i didnt write it in the wrong list. darkfall has tpv gameplay as well as fpv. Mortal Online will have fpv only (full first person immersion). the original plan for MO was fpv with tpv on mounts but that idea was scrapped.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I might be able to help you with the motion sickness.

I live near the sea and I've gotten motion sickness every time I went out since I was young. I tried Dramamine, bonine, accupressure and everything from eating crackers to drinking beer and nothing worked.

Then I tried Ginger tablets and I no longer have any problem, I don't even get that awful headache. I get sick playing a lot of first person games, actually threw up in Perfect Dark, so I tried the Ginger tablets and they work for that too.

Take it about a half hour to an hour before you play. You can take it as you start, but it won't help for a bit.

It only costs about $2 for a bottle. At least for me I only need it for a week or so in any game. Once I get used to the motion I'm ok without Ginger.

There's medical studies to back it up and all that. For me I didn't really need a study. 100% of the time I was sick before I started taking Ginger and 100% of the time I'm fine when I do take it. It might be anecdotal evidence, but I'm not going to question it.

Asdar

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I have already forgotten about Darkfall.  Thank you OP for this info, it has helped me decide that I will wait, and leave Darkfall in the obscurity it deserves.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I read this in their forums and found it thought-provoking.  I wonder how that will be implemented, if it's just a "cosmetic" feature for pride in your diety, or if your god is the most worshipped will it offer those worshippers a special buff for pvp and such.  Food for thought that has me excited.

Quote from a poster in Mortal Online forums:

"Choose to believe in one of the Gods and watch its power grow. Fight heretics and burn their temples to rob their Gods of power. Or start a new cult: with enough believers your God might be powerful enough to enter the Pantheon. "

• Elochim86Elochim86 Member Posts: 2

mortal doesnt have anything i would really like to see in darkfall,

except prone and pickpocketing.

but prone would only be good for hiding.

since u would be super-slow and unable to attack, except maybe with a crossbow.

well, the graphics are better as well. and having 10 hitboxes is great.

but these two would actually be a bad thing in big battles, with even the slightest of lag.

4SR! ...and for ale ;)

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose MO. Even though we don't really know that much about it yet, I love the feel of the world they are creating via their lore (races etc), and the devs just seem so much more communicative with the fans - it seems like they are very genuinely listening to what we say. It just feels more professional.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I'll have to go with DF because it seems to be more about large scale combat (read, 100 vs 100) than MO is.