Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: Dev update 2009

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Coming Attractions

www.guildwars.com/gameplay/developer_updates/coming_attractions.php

Content Updates

Content updates will be done separately from the monthly maintenance and occur every three to four months.

By spacing out our content releases, we gain the time to tackle larger and more difficult projects that, previously, would've been impossible. Some features that once seemed unattainable are now being explored as upcoming projects.

We are even expanding the Live Team to offer more of the best quality support and content that we can for Guild Wars. With this new system, we release our new content in fewer yet more substantial updates. We want players to feel connected to what we are developing even though it may be months away from release, so during development we will be more open about our process and what we are working on.

Coming Attractions

The Live Team is now designing the first big content update of 2009, which we expect to release in April. We had many discussions towards the end of last year and ended up with a major wish list and a plan for what it would take to make that list a reality. At this point, we have a clear idea of what is ahead of us and we hope everyone will be as excited about these prospects as we are.

Here are a few features we are currently developing for April:

* Increases to account-based storage

* Improvements to character-based storage

* Account-based changes to the Hall of Monuments

Comments

• DiovidDiovid Member UncommonPosts: 44

As I posted in the general news forum: 

Why the big announcement for almost nothing? Anet won't do anything big for GW1 anymore. Even skill balances are rare. They don't want people to enjoy GW1 anymore so that everybody who enjoyed GW1 as they remember it when they enjoyed it will buy GW2. I thought Anet was above the general MMO-mentality but I guess I should've known that everybody just pursues his or her maximum gains, even if that means making your fans angry and bored. Welcome to the real world...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I admit the April plans dont thrill me

but I could use more storage space

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

its not really a big announcement
    a big announcement would be like GW2 coming Winter 2009 ;)

its ANET giving us a heads up on what to expect for 2009
    * a quarterly content update *
    so the next major update wont be until april
    so dont hold ur breath, and dont expect too much from a company making a brand new game

but to say "They don't want people to enjoy GW1 anymore" is not fair
    we got a slew of skill updates last quarter, with some useless elites changing functionality (Peace and Harmony anyone?)
    got the nov13 update that energized JQ and FA & lessened grinding
    additions to our fave festivals

Linsey & Co is doing a great job as GW1 Live Team

again i'd rather that they focus 98% of their resources to GW2

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

The fact that they are doing quarterly updates pretty much prooves we will not see GW2 in 2009.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

Linsey's reply about some concerns with the Dev Update 2009

it can be found in her wiki talk

Yes, we fully intend on releasing details of some features in development well before build day. I say "some" because we do want there to be some surprises, so it is unlikely that everything will get teased beforehand. Basically, we don't want players to be just sitting around twiddling their thumbs for months on end with no content updates. We really wanted to do updates this new way so that we would have the time to really sink our teeth in and get some bigger projects going but some of us were worried it would make players feel more disconnected from us or even worse, like we really have abandoned Guild Wars as rumor has it. Since what we are doing now is so far the opposite from abandoning this game, we wanted to deepen the connection players have to what we are currently working on. We did not list everything we are working on in the Dev Update because like I said we want there to be some surprises, but more importantly it is hard to tell right now which of those things will definitely be going in to the build. We really really really don't want to promise things that we will not be able to deliver on. It isn't fun for us and it isn't fun for you guys.

Shayne: I would love to give you the answers to those questions, but I don't even know them yet. There are still a lot of hurdles to get through on this stuff and I would hate to tell you something that later on turns out to not be true because of technical limitations we don't know about yet. We will announce details on the various features planned for release once we have final designs nailed down. That does mean that we will need time at the beginning of each builds development cycle to work out design details and technical limitations before we can release info, but please trust me when I say it is coming.

Aba Malatu: Again, we can't tell you guys things that we don't know yet but information will come in time. As to the question of "why? why now?", I ask "why not now?". I know that there are some things that we have said we could not do (like additional storage) but if we can actually find a way to prove that wrong, why not do it?

I wrote up a whole rant about this "damned if you do, damned if you don't" attitude I keep seeing as it completely baffles me that some people are actually annoyed to get what they want, but I'm going to just leave it in my head. But really, what's up with that? - Linsey Murdock talk 02:16, 17 January 2009 (UTC)

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

I enjoyed playing Guild Wars...but a couple expansion behind now. Not played the game for a few years. I'm a little suprised to not find much of anything about GW2...Heck I've not found any info on the game that I didn't see 2 years ago. Whats the deal with that?

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

More storage space and all that is nice, but updating and balancing skills is for me much more interesting. A bigger storage is a nice, and much needed, feature although such an entertaining one, but skill changes one the other hand will keep me enjoyed while both playing and when thinking about new good builds. I wait, but I'm not very flamed up about the incoming changes.