Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now its just like all of the other SOE games - A WoW Clone

Comments

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Originally posted by JestorRodo

From: news.softpedia.com/news/DC-Universe-Online-Ditches-Classes-Introduces-Stances-102082.shtml

The big reveal related to the way the super hero MMO will work is that traditional party roles, which have made their way into MMOs coming from the Dungeons & Dragons ( they mean WoW) ( you mean EQ? Yes, any intelligent person knows, the chicken came before the egg. )
    But  if you are going to make an Omelet you are going to break a few eggs - Which SOE did to all of their standing MMOS  to try to compete with WoW , problem is that they forgot the customers while they did it and what occurred after was a far cry from a perfect Omelet but customers did "scramble" afterwards.
    background, are being abandoned in favor of a new approach based on “stances.” Basically, all characters can adopt an offensive stance, becoming a DPS class, a defensive stance, becoming a tank, or a support stance, which fits neatly into the role played by the healer class. This will give DC Universe Online a new level of flexibility in the creation of groups and parties.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

First, I pointed to my post because of lazyness, nothing else.

Second, in short, it has become a kind of doomsaying sport to say "WOW CLONE". Its like "Jehova" from Monty Pythons Life of Brian. You calculate so and so many people will hate game X and when you say game X is a WOW clone, you have bashed it hard enough.

Essentially it says nothing. First, I think few games on the higher agenda are LESS Wow-like than DCU, at least so far we see. Sure, any MMO has *some* similarities to any other, but that far away perspective doesnt really say anything substatial. Maybe you critizise concrete features, and about that we just dont know so much detail to really, finally say if DCU will or will not be good.

But alone the ridiculous trolling "SOE and WOW" - two mindless catchphrases in one title, thats some accomplishment. So its the EEEEEVIL SOE, and the EEEEEVIL WOW. Hey, here is the newsflash: WOW was not an SOE game. The entire way to bash a game we hardly now enough facts about with such stereotypical, totally overused comparisions is so... gross. Citing these two catchphrases is counting on the pavlov reflex of badmouthing a game without the need of actually saying anthing. Great job.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Just so people know and im fed up of hearing this, Wow is a everquest clone seeming wow wasent even thought of when everquest came out, So next time a new mmo comes out and you think it is a wow clone, just remember that wow is a SOE clone.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Sadly I think anything Rodo sees SOE making will be a WoW clone in his eyes.

Hell, any game that isnt a Pre-CU SWG for that matter.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    Originally posted by fyerwall

Sadly I think anything Rodo sees SOE making will be a WoW clone in his eyes.
    Hell, any game that isnt a Pre-CU SWG for that matter.

/HIFIVE Fyerwall  -  Don't be sad , be glad and put on a happy face. 

No really , DC Universe is the second big well known franchise that SOE has got their hands on.

I am just going on their track record with the first one which they attempted twice to be more like WoW.

You can't  blame me to be cautious , as we all should be.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Wow clone? No

Dumbed Down? yes.

Honestly tho... How the hell would you make a sandbox, Or Indepth Super hero game anyways???

CoX sure as hell wasent all that Deep... It was good Dont get me Wrong But Deep it was not :P

That said I think all soe has to do Is sneeze and it will be Deeper and more filling than Wow ever was...

As long as it has some sort of crafting, Loot, and Money/ market. then It will do just fine. Something CoX was Missing at  launch...

But it would be Nice to see Some diffrance in beeing a Hero and a villan

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• BukoBuko Member Posts: 61

Just remember, there were no MMORPG's prior to WoW. Henceforth, everything is a WoW clone.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The big reveal related to the way the super hero MMO will work is that traditional party roles, which have made their way into MMOs coming from the Dungeons & Dragons ( they mean WoW) background, are being abandoned in favor of a new approach based on “stances.”

No they don't. Wow and EQ stole almost everything from Dungeons and Dragons.

Wow was even far from the first game that stole it. Of course D&D stole a lot from Howard and Tolkien themselves but that is besides the point.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Gravarg
    It's nothing like WoW, but it's still an SOE game, so prepare your backside for a rough ride   I don't like being ripped off by the games I play.  I gave SOE 3 tries with EQ, SWG, and EQ2, and they won't get anymore tries from me.
    QFE on this, the fact that DCU has several ex-NGE devs (Blixtev, rogue5, Helios, etc.), I'm not going to touch it with a 20 ft pole. Does it look like a WoW clone? No I don't think so, on the PC platform it'll compete with Champions Online however I don't think it'll gain as many players as the XBox and PS3 fanbase will. Let time tell how this and CO develops (CO is due out in 2+ months and I hear it isn't even close to release ready) but if CO looks worth getting then I'm getting it for my XBox 360.

No more SOE (and Sony) products in my house!

Originally posted by Loke666

The big reveal related to the way the super hero MMO will work is that traditional party roles, which have made their way into MMOs coming from the Dungeons & Dragons ( they mean WoW) background, are being abandoned in favor of a new approach based on “stances.”
    Wow was even far from the first game that stole it. Of course D&D stole a lot from Howard and Tolkien themselves but that is besides the point.

Wasn't the concept of WoW taken from Warhammer (1983)?

Originally posted by Buko
    Just remember, there were no MMORPG's prior to WoW. Henceforth, everything is a WoW clone.
    Apparently you don't know WTF you're talking about, there was EQ, Ultima Online, DAoC, Lineage, Neverwinter Nights, Runescape, etc. WoW came out in 2004, and yes almost everything AFTER 2004 is a WoW clone.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by sookster54

Apparently you don't know WTF you're talking about, there was EQ, Lineage, Neverwinter Nights, Runescape, etc. WoW came out in 2004, and yes almost everything AFTER 2004 is a WoW clone.

I think they were being sarcastic in response to the way lesser-educated people call everything a wow clone

Ah well then in that case, I retract what I said.

• thanos1313thanos1313 Member Posts: 183

no no no, you guys ALL have it all wrong, its a WoW clone because its an MMO..dont you guys know?..every single game that can be played online is a WoW clone..no matter what one came first, no matter what features they have. do you get it now?

breaking news, a brawl broke out between the hogger and arthas the lich king downtown gadgetzan. there where no survivers

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by thanos1313

no no no, you guys ALL have it all wrong, its a WoW clone because its an MMO..dont you guys know?..every single game that can be played online is a WoW clone..no matter what one came first, no matter what features they have. do you get it now?

Spot on!

In other words all MMOs are the same (maybe Eve is a bit different).

The term "WoW clone" simply means that it is a run-of-the-mill MMO, there is no need to argue about what cloned what, because they are all essentially the same!!!

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Spot on!

In other words all MMOs are the same (maybe Eve is a bit different).

The term "WoW clone" simply means that it is a run-of-the-mill MMO, there is no need to argue about what cloned what, because they are all essentially the same!!!

..heh...and here i was just being snarkie about how all the WoW fanbois scream out "clone!" everytime a new MMO comes out.

EDIT

but, this is what happens when MMO's go more mainstream..everyone acts like the game that pushed them into the mainstream was the very first one...ever made..and everything else is copieing it...it was bound to happen.

breaking news, a brawl broke out between the hogger and arthas the lich king downtown gadgetzan. there where no survivers

The gameplay might not be like WoW but the UI sure as hell is, I was shocked when I saw the NYCC videos yet it's something I expect SOE to do because they've been doing that to every game now- they try to make the game look like woW in one way or another. At least Champions Online doesn't look like WoW (yet) and at least NCSoft/Cryptic didn't revamp CoX's UI to make it look like WoW like SOE did with SWG and EQ2. Some other games didn't try to copy WoW like Tabula Rasa (but lived for only 15 months).

As I've said before, DCUO's success will only depend upon how tarnished SOE's reputition affects it.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Not every SOE game is a WoW clone.  Every MMORPG that Blizzard has ever made is a WoW clone, though. 

The gameplay might not be like WoW but the UI sure as hell is, I was shocked when I saw the NYCC videos yet it's something I expect SOE to do because they've been doing that to every game now- they try to make the game look like woW in one way or another. At least Champions Online doesn't look like WoW (yet) and at least NCSoft/Cryptic didn't revamp CoX's UI to make it look like WoW like SOE did with SWG and EQ2. Some other games didn't try to copy WoW like Tabula Rasa (but lived for only 15 months).

As I've said before, DCUO's success will only depend upon how tarnished SOE's reputition affects it.

..sarcasm is lost on you, you realize this right

edit: fixed typos

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Apparently you don't know WTF you're talking about, there was EQ, Ultima Online, DAoC, Lineage, Neverwinter Nights, Runescape, etc. WoW came out in 2004, and yes almost everything AFTER 2004 is a WoW clone.

Whats more depressing than a good joke not understood? ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

I would just like to add [prolly said before, didn't read this whole clusterfuck] but WoW is an EQ clone...

And the EQ/WoW paradigm is the millstone around the MMO genre's neck that needs to be broken...

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• chazmyrchazmyr Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Loke666

I think the problem is, most people here ( and i mean no offense to anyone) is that they are to young to know Dungeons and Dragons is a table top RPG, and was started long before MMO's were even thought of. SO yes, even EQ "cloned" or used the ideas from D&D, and we dont mean the MMORPG.

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193

From: news.softpedia.com/news/DC-Universe-Online-Ditches-Classes-Introduces-Stances-102082.shtml

DC Universe Online Ditches Classes, Introduces Stances

Could this be a big MMO shift?
    By Andrei Dumitrescu, Games Editor
    15th of January 2009, 21:45 GMT
    Adjust text size:
    You could be just like him

Enlarge picture

Sony Online Entertainment presented its upcoming PC and PlayStation 3 MMO, DC Universe Online, at the recently concluded Consumer Electronics Show 2009 and there's new stuff about the game that MMO players and fans of the comic book universe will find very interesting.
    The big reveal related to the way the super hero MMO will work is that traditional party roles, which have made their way into MMOs coming from the Dungeons & Dragons ( they mean WoW) background, are being abandoned in favor of a new approach based on “stances.” Basically, all characters can adopt an offensive stance, becoming a DPS class, a defensive stance, becoming a tank, or a support stance, which fits neatly into the role played by the healer class. This will give DC Universe Online a new level of flexibility in the creation of groups and parties.
    Sony is trying to make sure that players don't spend a lot of time looking for a party, with one preview noting that something akin to the public quest system from Warhammer Online will be implemented, with players fighting together through an instance without being part of the same group.
    There will be four main characteristics defining a character in DC Universe Online. The “Super power” characteristic allows the player to choose their offensive power, “power source” generates a weapon to use, “movement modes” allows the player to choose if they want to fly or float into battle and other options are put into a “traits” group.
    It's nice to see that the people at Sony Online Entertainment have also thought about those poor souls that don't have the time or the interest to fiddle with a lot of sliders in a character creation screen. Players can also choose to select one super hero from the vast DC Universe line up of heroes, like Superman, Batman, Green Lantern or any other, in order to be “inspired by” his powers and get right into the fight. ENDQUOTE

No they mean Dungeons and Dragons which was out some 30+ years before WoW. Just because WoW was your first run in with the high fantasy sword and sorcery genre doesnt mean it was the first. To paraphrase Kurt Cobain, its a fresh new thing in your eyes because your experiencing it personally for the first time. That doesnt mean WoW is first and it doesnt mean WoW is revolutionary because its not. It did nothing new in the way of the genre and I hope to God people one day wake up from this all. Half the time talking to WoW fanatics is like having a conversation about history with someone who has neve read a history book. Anything you can pitch me that WoW did I can rebuttal with a game that did it before them in some way.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Sortis

Adjust text size:

Enlarge picture

Sony Online Entertainment presented its upcoming PC and PlayStation 3 MMO, DC Universe Online, at the recently concluded Consumer Electronics Show 2009 and there's new stuff about the game that MMO players and fans of the comic book universe will find very interesting.
    The big reveal related to the way the super hero MMO will work is that traditional party roles, which have made their way into MMOs coming from the Dungeons & Dragons ( they mean WoW) background, are being abandoned in favor of a new approach based on “stances.” Basically, all characters can adopt an offensive stance, becoming a DPS class, a defensive stance, becoming a tank, or a support stance, which fits neatly into the role played by the healer class. This will give DC Universe Online a new level of flexibility in the creation of groups and parties.
    Sony is trying to make sure that players don't spend a lot of time looking for a party, with one preview noting that something akin to the public quest system from Warhammer Online will be implemented, with players fighting together through an instance without being part of the same group.
    There will be four main characteristics defining a character in DC Universe Online. The “Super power” characteristic allows the player to choose their offensive power, “power source” generates a weapon to use, “movement modes” allows the player to choose if they want to fly or float into battle and other options are put into a “traits” group.
    It's nice to see that the people at Sony Online Entertainment have also thought about those poor souls that don't have the time or the interest to fiddle with a lot of sliders in a character creation screen. Players can also choose to select one super hero from the vast DC Universe line up of heroes, like Superman, Batman, Green Lantern or any other, in order to be “inspired by” his powers and get right into the fight. ENDQUOTE

No they mean Dungeons and Dragons which was out some 30+ years before WoW. Just because WoW was your first run in with the high fantasy sword and sorcery genre doesnt mean it was the first. To paraphrase Kurt Cobain, its a fresh new thing in your eyes because your experiencing it personally for the first time. That doesnt mean WoW is first and it doesnt mean WoW is revolutionary because its not. It did nothing new in the way of the genre and I hope to God people one day wake up from this all. Half the time talking to WoW fanatics is like having a conversation about history with someone who has neve read a history book. Anything you can pitch me that WoW did I can rebuttal with a game that did it before them in some way.

Phasing (changing the world environment for players that finished major quest lines), dailies, heirloom armor/weapons (linked to your account to be shared by any toon you create and  changes stats depending on what level the character using it is), dual specs (switch on the fly from dps/tanking to healing, druids ftw!), inscription craft (specialize spells and abilities), Vendor mounts (repairs and stocking on the fly), Shared food (placed on the ground for all raid members to eat), Summoning gates (to summon raid members by any member once the gate is open).....I could list more?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Originally posted by Sortis

Adjust text size:

Enlarge picture

Phasing (changing the world environment for players that finished major quest lines), dailies, heirloom armor/weapons (linked to your account to be shared by any toon you create and  changes stats depending on what level the character using it is), dual specs (switch on the fly from dps/tanking to healing, druids ftw!), inscription craft (specialize spells and abilities), Vendor mounts (repairs and stocking on the fly), Shared food (placed on the ground for all raid members to eat), Summoning gates (to summon raid members by any member once the gate is open).....I could list more?

1. changing the environment happened in DAOC and Guild Wars. 2. Quests that could be repeated were in EQ1. 3. Shared bank system is the same as linked account items and items that leveled up with you EQ1 and LOTRO. 4. Dual specs were in EQ2 years ago as well. Inscription is just like socketing which was in DAOC as well. 5. Divine spell casters can summon food in EQ1. 6. umm all divine casters had the spell gate and necro could summon in EQ1.  7. Lotro anyone that was a black smith and had faction with the guild in Bree could summon an anvil and repair equips since launch. So yes please list more because all of these things were in other MMOs before WoW :P perhaps I wasnt clear i'm talking about game mechanics, you're going the cheap route and listing spells which 95% of WoWs spells are genaric. I mean hell their mage is nothing more than an evocationist with a summon food and water spell and a group teleport mechanic. Woopie! If they are going to make a mage an evocationist atleast do what EQ did and make multiple arcane spell casters that can fill different rolls (ex: Necro, Wizard, Magician, and Enchanter)

What I dont get is why does everyone think this game is revolutionary? It doesnt have as many races as EQ or as many classes as EQ and a smaller world...how is this game EQs successor? Simple its easy so anyone can play it and it fed off of EQs growing popularity which means basicly it was just in the right place at the right time. Its actually an incredibly shallow game when you think about it. Oh and yes before you ask i was 60 before TBC and I was 70 before WOTLK, and I tried out WOTLK long enough to see its the same thing all over again, another small landmass with more quests to grind of killing Mob X Z ammount of times. It took WoW over 4 years to impliment Death Knight as a class which only has a few anyway. Guess what Death Knight isnt anything new either, It was called Black Guard in D&D and Shadow Knight in EQ. WoW isnt new, it isnt fresh, its not revolutionary, its just a poser. If you like the game thats fine, play it and enjoy it. Just dont subject others to some bull crap dillusion that its something brand new. Its not, its just new for you because you're experincing this thing for the first time.